Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PM's French Target: C1 2018

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:14 am

A little unwell again lately.... its passing.

In my pondering (a.k.a. wanderlust) today I thought after reaching C1 (or C2?) French (feels like that will never happen!), it would be real nice to devote some time to systematically working through the Assimil sans peine courses for major French regional languages (i.e. a slot in my routine for dabbling/wanderlust). To work through that series with Breton, Alsace, Catalan, Basque, Occitan, Corsican. Nice thought at least... C'mon French turd of a government, protect these languages for crying out loud!

What's that PM? A 'regional languages of France group', you say? Talk rubbish, no-one would join you.... would they? :? Surely not, that's almost as absurd as the notion of chemtrails, is it not? https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Théorie_conspirationniste_des_chemtrails
1 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:39 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:What's that PM? A 'regional languages of France group', you say? Talk rubbish, no-one would join you.... would they?
Haha, don't tempt me.

I suppose if you wait a while to start this, though, I may have a decent level in Portuguese (which I just started) by then and end up joining you.

:D
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:33 am

tastyonions wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:What's that PM? A 'regional languages of France group', you say? Talk rubbish, no-one would join you.... would they?
Haha, don't tempt me.

I suppose if you wait a while to start this, though, I may have a decent level in Portuguese (which I just started) by then and end up joining you.

:D

Cool ;) Je sais que je mets la charrue avant les bœufs, donc on va voir ;)
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:06 am

août

Not as good as a month as juillet, but not bad overall.

TOTAL FRENCH FOR AUGUST: 65 hours, 24min
daily average for the month: 2hrs 6min (compared to 3hrs 3 min last month and 1hr 32 min for June)

BREAKDOWN:
Courses: 12 hours 23min (I am moving like a snail through Assimil UF lately on 2nd round as I analyse the hell out of everything).
Audio only courses: 7hrs 2min
Podcasts: 7hrs 46min
TV: 27 hours 43 min
(I went a little crazy with series this month and last- didn't seem to help me that much as I still struggle with series and film quite a bit given the amount of studied, no biggie, it will improve with time).
Vocabularly study: 3hrs 51 min
Intensive reading: 1hr 40min
Extensive reading: 4hrs 35min
Audio books: 26min

Looking to September:
Planning on ramping up my reading more than anything and cutting back the watching again. Also plan on doing more audio on the go as yesterday I attempted listening while cycling, which seemed to work out ok- for that I'll use a combination of podcasts and course revision. In August I stepped up my exercise considerably, which meant a decrease in French time. So I tried my ipod shuffle- my main concerns with the cycling were safety and encouraging hearing damage while having to turn the volume up too loud. Neither turned out to be dramatic issues (i kept the volume as low as possible which isn't dramatically loud by any means, and it seemed to not be dramatically dangerous in any way), at least that's all on the first try. Hopefully this means more balance in my life while not greatly diminishing study time (I won't be punished for exercising). Still, I may come to dislike this experiment.... or there could be unseen issues.
4 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:34 am

PeterMollenburg wrote: my main concerns with the cycling were safety and encouraging hearing damage while having to turn the volume up too loud. Neither turned out to be dramatic issues (i kept the volume as low as possible which isn't dramatically loud by any means, and it seemed to not be dramatically dangerous in any way), at least that's all on the first try. Hopefully this means more balance in my life while not greatly diminishing study time (I won't be punished for exercising). Still, I may come to dislike this experiment.... or there could be unseen issues.
I think someone on here posted about some ear phones that don't touch your ears, they shake your bones instead, Aftershokz (I've not tried them.)
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:18 am

DaveBee wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote: my main concerns with the cycling were safety and encouraging hearing damage while having to turn the volume up too loud. Neither turned out to be dramatic issues (i kept the volume as low as possible which isn't dramatically loud by any means, and it seemed to not be dramatically dangerous in any way), at least that's all on the first try. Hopefully this means more balance in my life while not greatly diminishing study time (I won't be punished for exercising). Still, I may come to dislike this experiment.... or there could be unseen issues.
I think someone on here posted about some ear phones that don't touch your ears, they shake your bones instead, Aftershokz (I've not tried them.)

Interesting! Thanks for sharing DaveBee ;)
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:52 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
DaveBee wrote:

Interesting! Thanks for sharing DaveBee ;)

Not the slightest bit language relevant, but I find bone conduction really interesting.

Good to see that you are finding the study/life balance, PM!
2 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Elenia wrote:
Not the slightest bit language relevant, but I find bone conduction really interesting.

Good to see that you are finding the study/life balance, PM!
I have a vague memory (possibly tosh) that elephants decide what direction noises/things are coming from by raising different legs and 'feeling the vibrations' :-)
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:06 pm

Despite announcing my French C1/C2 mission not that long ago, and having put in a very solid month during July and a decent August, I don't feel like I've progressed much. And I simply believe that's because I haven't. I have concluded that i'm hovering. It's official, I'm in 'hover mode'. Despite the high-ish study numbers my routine is not ideal. Yes I'm getting French exposure/study in practically every day, but it's not enough to assist in my progression. It's enough for me to be completely comfortable at the B2 level, but not enough to make quick advances to C1/C2. However I have questioned at times if I could actually pass a C1 exam now. My routine is off and I seem to continually self sabotage lately. My main issue is still that I distract myself at night, then wake too late to get a good deal of study done. Not looking for sympathy here, not looking for advice either, I know what needs to be done. I need to get into my routine and simply be more consistent day in day out, which I honestly haven't done to the real extent I have planned to for a couple of years. I've made steady progress, and that's okay too, but now at the B2 level, I feel as if I must get back to solid commitment or I will continue to hover. If I don't, perhaps I will indeed get to the level I wish to be at, at least eventually, but I'm suffering from wanderlust again lately and becoming a little impatient as well as frustrated. And in the mix is the ever present battle between wanting to complete courses and now a real desire to read a lot.

I know I've been rather controversial at times and political particularly on the old website (HTLAL). My searches into the truth of what is really going on in the world have continued and I feel like I am still continuing to slowly wake up with each discovery of truth despite having uncovered so much over a pretty long period now- ie there's still more and it keeps going. For those of you that like to follow the regular news, believe your leaders, and get engrossed in entertainment, I say that there's a hell of a lot more going on out there and the truth is stranger than fiction. Dare to think outside the square, challenge yourself to read, listen, delve into what is labelled conspiracy and so on, dig for the truth, and always look for another perspective behind movements, history, reports and so called facts. I do think most people have some degree of distrust of mainstream media at least and do think outside the square on many occasions, but not enough to really see what's going on. In my diggings it's affecting my interests somewhat in terms of languages. I'm evidently finding myself disliking many aspects of the French Republic almost as much as I absolutely love other aspects to death, and these repulsive aspects are almost enough for me to consider (or dream) of having a back up dream country or location to want to live in (even if it's just dreaming), but I do like to indulge a little too much in my own head's "language adventures". And I don't like the way my own country, Australia, is headed. Still, I believe that most countries are being shrouded under a web of deceit that is being ramped up. Anyway, with all that grandiose talk minus any details as I can't be bothered with debate and I must comply with website rules or be subject to discipline (and I'm not arguing against that policy either), I must move on to my point. That point is here's my latest language wanderlust wish list (and the languages here are most definitely not representative of countries with perfect political systems, but my beliefs/discoveries/learning about the world/us are leading me to question things along the way and sometimes tweak things or rearrange the list). And on that note, I think Norwegian and Spanish are becoming more important whilst Dutch is not necessarily decreasing in importance. German would've been on the list before, but lately I'm feeling Scandanavia is a better corner of the world, at least more in line with my ideals. I wasn't ever wanting to live in Germany, but I could maybe, one percent chance live in Norway or Denmark. You see? Dreaming again! But I still want to progress in French, of course ;)

1. Reach C1 French.
2. Reach C2 French some day
3. Learn Dutch
4. Learn Spanish
5. Learn Norwegian
6. Learn at least one minority language

For Dutch, Spanish and Norwegian, "learn" in the above list could mean anything between B1 and C2. For minority languages, if and when I may do this (and I may decide to do it concurrently with other languages), I may just dabble and take a few of them to B1 or so, nothing's set in stone I guess.

Having said all of this above, I'm fickle and I think many of us are, as we live in our heads too much and over analyse. Thus, I may decide on a completely different list a short time away based on a completely different set of notions.

Learning French has taught me a lot with regards to my learning methods. I think now, were I to tell myself how many courses to use, I would recommend perhaps three easier courses and 2 or three advanced ones, before moving on to other activities (watching/listening, reading). Mind you, due to the wealth of courses available on French, I would still add more, but nowhere near the amount I own for French. Assimil I believe would almost always be a chosen course in any language, at least as it stands currently how I feel about their courses, that is. Although with Spanish I may never use Assimil, as I own every component of Destinos and Nuevos Destinos, which alone is more than sufficient I believe. Anyway, ranting now... talk soon!
4 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:46 pm

On Radio ici et maintenant there is a live show in the afternoon (2-4 p.m french time). Lot of listeners are obsessed by conspiracy theories, "we're in the matrix", ultra-left/right/degrowth/renaissance man/etc, point of views. If you want something out of the mainstream, you can give it a try. There are no podcasts, it's a live program (don't try to buy podcasts on the radio, it's something else)
3 x

Return to “Language logs”