Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Pete Mollenburg's Adventures in the Matrix in French

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:04 am

rdearman wrote:Peter, I don't want it to feel like a "pile on" or we're abusing your intelligence. That certainly isn't my intention. If you want to continue to do courses then that is your privilege. We're opposites in many ways, you love courses, I hate them, you love all things French, me.. .not so much. :)

I've recently taken a leaf out of your book and returned to some of the courses which I either skipped or breezed through. But I honestly don't believe that publishers design courses to the high level that you require. It just isn't a good business model for them. Beginners and intermediate courses are where the money is at, since at a higher level people would naturally gravitate toward native materials.

Makes sense, certainly agreed for the most part (not all courses - might be the reason the older courses are often better, marketing wasn’t so cunning back in the day, perhaps).

rdearman wrote:I can sympathise with the problem of not understanding French media. I find a lot of it unintelligible gibberish, but what I did notice is that back with I was concentrating on French for the Super Challenge a couple of years ago, my understanding was coming on in leaps and bounds. It has since gone backwards, but I don't think the answer to not understanding is more courses, but rather more media.

I absolutely agree, actually. I just want to complete the courses as well.

rdearman wrote:I have also spoken a lot, daily with French speakers doing a lot of language exchanges, but all this did was assist with the fluidity of my speaking, it didn't help me understand French TV. So while speaking with your children is very useful, and the courses are useful I don't know if it is helping with the comprehension of swift, natural native speakers.

Again, I completely agree. As stated already, speaking with my children is a form a reinforcement. And like you, it’s helped my fluidity, considerably. However, I’m under no illusion to think this (or courses for that matter) will help my comprehension of media. I agree absolutely with you, and this is NOT a sudden revelation, I’ve felt this for a while - that beyond B2, courses will not help my comprehension of media/native content.

rdearman wrote:So, I'm not questioning your desire to focus on a single language, nor am I questioning your work ethic, lord knows it is better than mine. I'm questioning the levels of these 18/21/however many courses. I think you might want to evaluate the level of the courses and if they are not a minimum of B2 then scrap them, your past that point they will not get you further. Some you've indicated are C-level courses intended for C-level students, great press on with those and ramp up the native media and adult books. Are you participating in the Super Challenge? If not I recommend it.

I had 49 courses on my list, now 21. I don’t feel I want to cut it down any further. Most courses I cut, were below B2. If any remaining are under B2, I don’t mind, as I simply want to have the experience of using them, and if I’m above them considerably, then they shouldn’t take too long to complete (ex. maybe FSI, which is good for developing spontaneity, anyway).

I wonder sometimes, whether or not I get a lot more out of courses than most people, since even easier courses I find can be fantastic for shadowing for example. Still, I agree, I shouldn’t spend time on courses that are not advanced.

Yes I’m in the SC. Currently in 7th position overall with 108 films and 57 books.

rdearman wrote:It is only my opinion, but I think the only way to learn to ride a horse, is to ride a horse. The only way to understand native media is to watch a crap ton of it. So, if you were to evaluate your skills: Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking, then if listening comprehension is low, you need to take steps to resolve the issue. I have a real problem with grammar and written output, so I'm trying to address this by doing more of it.

Yes I agree, native content - and tons of it, will be of immense value, and once I complete these 21 courses, my SC values should climb further (if i’m still doing French only).

Thank you for being respectful ;)
5 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:00 am

Hmmm.

There seems to be a huge amount of opinion on how PM should study, simply because PM has taken the time to outline his ideas. I don't get it. Once you've provided feedback and someone has listened and declined, deciding to follow their own path, why go on hammering this "but you're wrong"?

Sometimes it isn't about the end-goals but the journey?

Yes, spending lots and lots and lots of time with native material is a path to improving language, and at some point, very necessary.

But consolidating holes in past learning efforts with courses isn't all bad.

From his own stats PM is spending more time with native material that courses. (And damn, if he isn't spending more time with on language learning than I am! ;) )

More studying, less arguing.
21 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:08 am

I’ll try to keep this brief, because it’s clear this could go on forever...

CompImp wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:I’d say you’re right, it does give you the grounds to claim exactly that. Thank you for revealing your experience. I do want to ask though, and in absolute honesty, this is not because I do not believe your claims, but because so many people do overstate their achievements as per CEFR, have you passed any language exams at the C-level?

No, but i'm sure you can judge for yourself that my writing is far and beyond any level on the scale. My speaking is equally fluent but with an accent and i understand everything i read and hear like a native. I don't think the certificate from a boxed exam which doesn't test real-world skill is really necessary.

Yep, okay.

CompImp wrote:
...and once done there will be even more room for native content. So don’t expect me to hover around the intermediate level forever, because I already include native content in my daily routine (which you don’t seem to acknowledge much at all, you just seem to focus on my courses and their limited capacity for progress) and once I have completed them, well, I’m repeating myself.

If your log is anything to go by, you will never 'complete' or 'finish doing' courses. You will simply do more.

Fair judgement. I can’t argue with that.

CompImp wrote:How you consume native material and what you're consuming matters, a lot. If you're watching TV and you understand nothing it's a waste of your time. You've watch a couple of hundred films you didn't understand which means you've watched no films.

I agree, which is why I didn’t watch as much native content early on, because it was a waste of time.

I never said anywhere that I understood nothing. In fact, I understand quite a lot of what I watch, especially when I’m not tired ;)

CompImp wrote:
Pretty harsh hey? No room for much in the way of compliments. Cavesa has said many a time herself, that courses are valuable at the advanced levels. I agree. Clarification: She NEVER said only doing courses is worthwhile, so her methods are much more like yours than mine, but courses are NOT a waste of time. Skynet is on the verge of B2 with courses alone, I made it to B2 using predominantly courses. I don’t expect to make C2 only using courses, however they are not useless. Might be to you, but they are not to me.

But you're confusing exam levels and real skill. Read the B2 descriptors. You're supposed to be able to function like an adult human in any situation. You can't understand dubbed TV. Which means the exams aren't really worth much except to prove to employers or school that you have a certain level. I'm talking about being able to do what the descriptors say. Sure, there are course materials that will prepare you for C level exams. But passing C level exams doesn't mean you're able to do what is said in the descriptors. It means you passed their test. As it proven by your current predicament despite being B2 certified and yet the detailed decriptors say the following:

I can understand extended speech and
lectures and follow even complex lines
of argument provided the topic is
reasonably familiar. I can understand
most TV news and current affairs
programmes. I can understand the
majority of films in standard dialect.

I can read articles and reports concerned
with contemporary problems in which
the writers adopt particular attitudes or
viewpoints. I can understand
contemporary literary prose.

I can write clear, detailed text on a wide
range of subjects related to my interests.
I can write an essay or report, passing on
information or giving reasons in support
of or against a particular point of view. I
can write letters highlighting the
personal significance of events and
experiences.

You can't do any of that. Which means the certificate you have proves nothing unfortunately.

I can’t? Seems like you haven’t been reading much of my log then. Because I stated I was having trouble with some TV and an audio book, you have drawn the conclusion that I can do none of the above? I would say I can do all of the above.

CompImp wrote:
I don’t give a flying f***ng turd what ‘we’ do! I count hours because I sit and read with my children most days and haven’t got the bloody time to count pages! I know most people count pages, I don’t have an IQ of 2, nor have a been living up a tree for the last ten years! Yes, this makes me angry for a couple of reasons. You are not me, and despise being part of a collective, that’s one of the main things wrong with humanity, that we are being herded like sheep, so don’t expect me to do something else because it’s the norm. Okay, breathe PM.

LOL calm down. The point is that you can say you read for 694 hours and yet you only read 5 pages. Get it ? You're also probably reading similar kids material over and over and over and yet count them towards your 'reading' hours. This might account for you still not being able to function despite all the 'work' you put in - hundreds of hours of reading very limited content, hundred of hours going over the same course stuff, hundreds of hours of watching incomprehensible TV.....get it ?

No, wrong. I have been a member of AF. We borrowed several different books every week. I also have a small library of children’s books, of which I’ve never read every story as there are so many. I also read content aimed at adults, the comprehension level sometimes in the adult books can be higher. The children’s books are not about little Mr X goes to the local shop, buys a lolly, returns home, the end.

I must also add, and I’ve said this often in my log, that I spent A LOT of time perfecting accent. Okay, perhaps you don’t like to do that, I do, and it has been worthwhile, yet it did cost a LOT of time.

CompImp wrote:As for your conspiracy rant...people aren't expecting you to do what they do because you're a 'sheep'. It's not good to do it 'my' way because it's the 'norm', it's the 'norm' because it works. I guess being an 'individual' with no language skill is more important to you than actually progressing. And that's fine. Do what you like.

Thanks for granting me my freedom.

CompImp wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:I ignored most people on my approach to B2 too.

But you're not a real, functioning B2, you're a 'paper' B2. See above.

According to your misguided assessment.

CompImp wrote:You have the gall to brag about it to people who learn language better than you and who are trying to help you but you can't watch a TV show without getting lost. You ignored these superior learners and are now bragging that you reached a low level without their advice ? Come on. You ignored Ronaldo on your way to smashing 9/10 free kicks into the wall. Congratulations.

Thanks dude, where’s my trophy?

CompImp wrote:
I agree, but it is what it is, and it’s the way I want to do it.

But you will never end up 'doing it'. There's a reason it's taking you so long and it's not because you're stupid. It's because you're not doing the right things. It's a longer road from B2 to C1 than from 0-B2. You're not even real B2. How many lifetimes do you have to get to real C1 ?

I know there are flaws in my study approach, it’s not completely flawed however, and it leans heavily on courses. I don’t intend to do them forever, and I won’t.

CompImp wrote:
Edit: Taken from a recent post of reineke’s called Reaching High Levels from which I have quoted rdearman:

rdearman wrote:I thought this was a very telling paragraph:

On average, learners with six months or more of targeted classroom instruction at the upper levels of proficiency and at least two years of in-country experience were able to shorten the average time-on-task for acquiring near-native proficiency from 17 years to five, including the time spent at lower levels of proficiency.

Not sure why your conclusion to this isn't 'classroom time isn't worth much' instead of using it as an excuse. Also, it's hours that matters, not years.

And yes what i've written above sounds harsh but....it's just the reality. No offence is meant, i'm just saying it how it is, and the evidence backs me.
[/quote]

Well I was more interested in the time scale than anything, and the fact that reaching C1/C2 for most people is a very long road. So you just got their quicker, well done. I’m taking the scenic route, honestly, just let this go - My routine is rather diverse (but I do courses where you don’t), it has holes, sure, but I’ll fill them in at some point.

As for assessment of real life skills vs exams. I’ve always pushed myself to perform in French as per the real world. If I was all about the exam only I would’ve worked on the C1/C2 exam texts only, gone and passed the test and moved on. I don’t say this because I’m trying to argue against you. Honestly, CompImp, you have got me wrong, if not completely, then at least to a certain extent.

You are saying I understand nothing of TV and cannot function as per the descriptors of B2. This is absolutely incorrect. We have been arguing over something with incorrect points of reference.

Granted, you know where you’re coming from, granted this debate has become a little over-heated, and perhaps more so out of my defence as opposed to your comments.

I would like to stop arguing here and say to you that I do respect your position, I got angry and I apologise, thank you for trying to wake me up, but you’ve judged my whole entire language ability on a couple of self assessments, which you’ve taken to an extreme and then stated that I understand nothing of TV and am probably reading the same children’s books over and over. We all have our bad days. Let’s drop this, agree to disagree on a number of points, shake hands and move on. I acknowledge your points, you have decent things to bring to the discussion that are absolutely worth considering. I don’t deny the effectiveness of native content, which is why I use it.

I don’t deny the definite inefficiency of language courses beyond B2, but I disagree on their value. I am at the extreme opposite end to you, in that I really enjoy using language courses, where it sounds like it’s the last thing you want to do.

Lastly, even if I do all these courses, acknowledge their inefficiency I still will use native content now and after they are completed.

Learning one’s first L2 is a journey of getting to know oneself and what works and what doesn’t. If I’m going absolutely down the wrong path, despite all the warning signs and I’m hell bent on proceeding, regardless. So be it. I’ll learn from it, but I want to do it anyway. I decided at some point that I don’t want to reach C1/C2 via the fastest possible route, I decided in the end I will take the scenic route that goes seemingly in the wrong direction. After I get to the end of that road (and there will be an end), I will then head for the faster, straighter roads, but I can’t guarantee I won’t get a little lost on occasion in the odd village or two, or three :?

If anything you’re posts have made me more determined (i’ve been digging my claws in). I honestly do what to reach that native content land, so I must now proceed with reckless abandon, in the apparent wrong direction. Thank you for stopping by Complmp ;) (heads off waving a white flag)
7 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:19 am

*** Waving a white flag ****

Complmp, it would be unfair to not at least give you a chance to say something if you want to, please do respond if you feel you want to, but let’s try and move on now. Honestly, I apologise for any disrespect, I got a little too fired up. 8-)

Edit: and thank you zenmonkey for encouraging some tranquility.
3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:39 pm

14 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:24 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:2018 TOTALS
Extensive reading: 194 hours 41min
Television: 178hrs 13min
Courses: 125hrs 18min
Audio courses (commuting): 98hrs 37min
Podcasts (commuting and other): 72hrs 34min
Exclusive vocab study: 24hrs 20min
Intensive reading: 23hrs 18min
Audio books: 6hrs 14min

TOTAL: 751hrs 52min

So, you can see my podcast time, my time spent watching TV (which would be roughly half to 2/3 the time watching news, the rest series predominantly with the odd film). Reading has been 90% of the time chldren’s books, 5% non-fiction and fiction books (not children’s) and perhaps 5% reading websites - news usually - RFI Journal en français facile or Mondialisation.ca (just to balance out that mainstream media BS with a different angle).

Something that I've come to realize with my experience learning Italian is that not all media is created equally, and learning to understand one specific type of media can help a bit with understanding other types, but doesn't necessarily do that.

This means that while reading children's book is a great way to cement certain things like sentence structure and basic vocabulary, it will not help very much with being able to understand TV shows where adult characters are using a lot of slang or idioms or curses or speaking colloquially or really fast or slurring or mumbling, or saying half of an expression because it's assumed that the expression is well-known. Reading novels for adults also has many benefits, but again, it doesn't help a lot with understanding conversations. Why? Because books are written (at least theoretically) using the ideal proper language that actual people in real life rarely use. People just don't speak the way coursebooks or even novels are written.

The other issue is that there are many “versions” of a language. With Italian, for example, there’s “school Italian”, the kind that you’d come across in a coursebook. It’s rigid, proper, and lifeless. No one speaks like that. It sounds artificial, even though it’s absolutely correct. Then there’s literary Italian, which is essential if you want to read modern novels or the classics. But again, no one speaks like that. Then there’s colloquial Italian, the way people actually speak. But even here there’s variation depending on region, socio-economic class, age, etc… Then there’s the language that used by newspapers/news, which again is very different. Real people don't speak like newscasters.

If my main exposure to Italian were the news, I’d never be able to really understand conversational Italian. So I’m not surprised that you listen to French news but then have trouble with French TV shows. They use completely different French. You have a lot of hours of “French” but if you analyze where those hours are going, it’s obvious what’s happening; discounting courses, news, and children’s stuff, in 2018 you've watched about 60 hours of TV series; this is the exposure you've had all year to how real people speak. (It might be even less than that depending on how much you were paying attention/understanding/enjoying it and which series/movies you're watching. Again, not all are equal in terms of exposure to colloquial language).

There are some really obvious fixes that come to mind that don't even mean you have to denounce courses. Instead of reading the news, replace it with reading twitter feeds, facebook/instagram posts, blogs, articles, etc where real people are writing the way they speak. You will learn a TON of useful expressions that will surface in TV shows. Then, instead of watching the news on TV, use that time to watch more TV shows where normal, every day characters are talking. I hate the show, Friends, but a show like that in French will do more to help you understand how people talk than any course or news program.

I personally decided from the start that my priority was understanding conversational Italian because I wanted to communicate with my in-laws. So instead of watching Italian news or focusing on novels I watched 200 episodes (2-3 times each) of a teenage sitcom that was nothing but conversational Italian and I paid attention to my husband and his parents/friends when they were chatting. I took notes and asked questions about things I didn’t understand. It was a messy, frustrating process that felt impossible in the beginning. Following a course isn’t messy; it’s orderly, it’s logical. I can understand the appeal even if it’s not my thing. But eventually, you have to accept the messiness and the chaos and the uncertainty of a variety of authentic content if you want to be really comfortable with how real people speak and write.

I am positive that you have a better grasp of French grammar than I ever will have with Italian, and I'm sure you would leave me in the dust when it comes to speaking, since that is something I struggle with. And, I have no doubt that you’ve learned a ton from your courses and if you like doing them, I don’t see why you should stop. Just don’t expect that doing x course will finally make a difference in being able to easily understand TV shows or any other native media because those courses are teaching a completely different thing.
14 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:41 pm

I don't want to take the defense of Peter, but we exchanged a little series of private messages in french, and he's perfectly fonctionnal: his french is clean, rich and almost without any grammatical mistakes (on that aspect, he made a lot of progresses compared to what he was writing one or two years ago in his log).
How can one judge someone's level without having any concrete hints of that level ? That's a mystery to me... 8-)
13 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:26 pm

Thank you StringerBell, Arnaud and Complmp for your latest comments.

StringerBell- Yes, you are indeed correct. I understand that if I have difficulties with certain forms of media, I ought to focus on well, those certain forms of media.

Arnaud, thank you.

Complmp - yes those methods/avenues of ‘real language’ are certainly useful.

Some further comments.
I only use twitter for the Super Challenge bot. I don’t overly like social media. I left Facebook years ago, I don’t plan on returning, although never say never. I do not like constant distractions and notifications throughout my day. It nibbles away at my time and I’m left with little time to do the things in my day that matter to me.

I am not currently big on TV shows (or movies), at least not to the extent others are, but there are certainly some I enjoy very much, but I’d prefer to sit down and use courses or grammar books. Most certainly there are series that I do really love, but I guess I’ve never really put hardcore time into them. I will some day, it just hasn’t happened yet on a binge-like scale (but it has happened to a certain extent). Of course this leads to gaps, and I know this.

I’ve never been big on fiction, well not much anyway, that’s not to say I won’t really enjoy it. Harry Potter didn’t overly interest me when it first came out. I rarely use audio books. Having difficulty understanding 100% of a Harry Potter audiobook in the first listening sessions, shouldn’t come as too big of a surprise, then. I must say however, I was very tired at the time and doing last minute gardening and other tasks while listening which meant I wasn’t 100% focused. Still, if I was, alert and really trying, I think I’d still miss perhaps somewhere between 5 and 10% of the words on first listen at a guess. I think I have issues with focus at times - like many of us I can drown out to podcasts and audiobooks. Perhaps I would have better stats if I learned to stop letting my mind wander (and perhaps listening to more engaging content would help, but as mentioned, I need to listen to different things - with time I’m sure i’ll find Harry Potter really interesting).

I think part of the issue is the feeling of unfinished business with regards to courses. Thus, all the more reason to complete the courses, then I’ll feel as though native media absolutely requires much more of my attention.

As for the news, well it’s usually an opportune moment, while eating breakfast for example, it’s just been easy to switch on the news and see what’s happening in France. Perhaps I could do the same with a series, but it might feel disjointed to switch off after 5 minutes some days, 15 minutes others and some days watching full episodes. I have found it easy to turn off the news and return to my daily tasks, but it is certainly food for thought and excellent feedback.

I have do often read websites that are news related. If I have a problem i’m trying to solve I will 9/10 times search for a solution online in French before trying English. Yes, comments below articles are good examples of every day speech, and I have often read them, it is often there that you find the reality on the ground with regards to a news article, remedy, solution and so on. Still, it is not C1/C2 French (that is it won’t help me write essays), but it will indeed familiarise myself with daily speech, slang etc.

These aren’t excuses, I know where the shortfalls are, I know what I need to do.

I am not claiming that the courses will get me to C2/native-like fluency, but they do help, at least for me, regardless of whether they help you (that’s anyone).

I do absolutely utterly sincerely need to watch more, read more, speak more with natives and challenge myself (writing too!) to reach C1/C2. I am aware of my gaps and I’m aware of my short-comings.

The courses have helped me, where others would puke at the prospect of completing one, and that’s fine. My methods are slow, yet I am thorough, i’m not the fastest by any means, but I like the way I study, it suits me. I reserve the right to study the way I want to, even if it’s courses forever, but I certainly do not intend to do that, although, Complmp has a point, there is a huge risk of that possibility given my track record, so I must be super attentive to not allowing that to happen. I do not expect courses alone to the the job of understanding all forms of media.

As a general piece of advice coming from these most recent discussions, please in criticising the methods of others, I encourage that we be open, honest, respectful and understand that others can get results using methods that may seem absurd to us. Advice can be given (thank you everyone for yours here) but it is not therefore a contract that must be followed. Advice is advice, it comes from experience of others but won’t always fit with everyone else. Sometimes the advice is absolute gold and yet people like me ignore it altogether or in part. That’s okay, provided I keep going and eventually do fill in the gaps. There may be obvious flaws in the approaches of others, sometimes we just need to watch others fail. I think much success in many things in life comes not from methods, but from commitment. Native media really grabs the attention of some, while the prospect of drills and courses catches others. And clever marketing catches the attention of many with various methods.

Let me move on now, I’ve a mission to attend to. Good luck to me, thank you for your input everyone.
6 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:32 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:I only use twitter for the Super Challenge bot. I don’t overly like social media. I left Facebook years ago, I don’t plan on returning, although never say never. I do not like constant distractions and notifications throughout my day. It nibbles away at my time and I’m left with little time to do the things in my day that matter to me.

I totally understand this, as I, myself, don't use social media and I also avoid doing most things on my phone, even though it would probably make life easier. However, social media is a tool that can be used for good or evil :evil: It's a goldmine of contemporary foreign language in bite-sized pieces. Maybe you can make a "dummy" account dedicated solely to French and find some French people to follow who are discussing topics you're interested in. Then, anytime you get sucked in, at least it will be French-related so you don't have to feel guilty. I made a "dummy" YT account solely for the purpose of following Italian channels.

Or maybe the idea of social media is just too unpalatable even used like this and you'd prefer something else, like reading and writing on some French forums (I recently started reading on a Polish forum and I learned a lot of useful words and expressions from just one thread). Forums are a great place to learn contemporary colloquial language. Have you been able to find any French youtubers that you enjoy? When I first started with Italian, I watched a lot of YT travel channels, specifically with young people who were doing the kind of travel I'm most drawn to (backpacking). Maybe there are channels you could get really into and just watch 5 or 10 minutes of a video when time permits. I think that could be a lot more convenient than watching 5-10 minutes of a TV series at a time.

If these suggestions just don't appeal to you and you'd rather stick with courses and news, that's your right. I just wanted to offer some suggestions based on what I've been doing that's helped me and that you might not have considered.
4 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:55 am

StringerBell wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:I only use twitter for the Super Challenge bot. I don’t overly like social media. I left Facebook years ago, I don’t plan on returning, although never say never. I do not like constant distractions and notifications throughout my day. It nibbles away at my time and I’m left with little time to do the things in my day that matter to me.

I totally understand this, as I, myself, don't use social media and I also avoid doing most things on my phone, even though it would probably make life easier. However, social media is a tool that can be used for good or evil :evil: It's a goldmine of contemporary foreign language in bite-sized pieces. Maybe you can make a "dummy" account dedicated solely to French and find some French people to follow who are discussing topics you're interested in. Then, anytime you get sucked in, at least it will be French-related so you don't have to feel guilty. I made a "dummy" YT account solely for the purpose of following Italian channels.

Or maybe the idea of social media is just too unpalatable even used like this and you'd prefer something else, like reading and writing on some French forums (I recently started reading on a Polish forum and I learned a lot of useful words and expressions from just one thread). Forums are a great place to learn contemporary colloquial language. Have you been able to find any French youtubers that you enjoy? When I first started with Italian, I watched a lot of YT travel channels, specifically with young people who were doing the kind of travel I'm most drawn to (backpacking). Maybe there are channels you could get really into and just watch 5 or 10 minutes of a video when time permits. I think that could be a lot more convenient than watching 5-10 minutes of a TV series at a time.

If these suggestions just don't appeal to you and you'd rather stick with courses and news, that's your right. I just wanted to offer some suggestions based on what I've been doing that's helped me and that you might not have considered.

I appreciate your suggestions StringerBell. I must say though, and you probably already realise this, but I already have a pretty decent routine across various forms of media that I’m happy with for the most part. Although that doesn’t mean your suggestions are not decent things to include at some point, sooner or later. You’ve given me some ideas for ways in which I could change things around should I feel ready to do so, but generally they don’t appeal to me at the present time, or I haven’t allowed them to enter my routine through choice at this stage as I’ve plenty to keep me busy and engaged. But you’re right, maybe I hadn’t thought of them. Great food for thought, thank you.

Most recent posters have provided some good food for thought in fact, including those I got a bit heated with. Just because I felt they weren’t necessarily being entirely fair in their arguments with me, doesn’t mean I ought not consider their own progress and suggestions. It’s all worth considering, but for now, courses courses and more courses. I’m even going to read courses to my children... and I’m going to communicate with my wife only via course materials (only phrases in French appearing in courses will be used). I’ll do that for a whole... 1 second. Okay done, moving on!
3 x

Return to “Language logs”