Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: PM’s French Adventures in the Matrix

Postby Le Baron » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 pm

iguanamon wrote:Regardless of whether PM's approach is the best or most appropriate, if he wants to go through all the French courses he missed out on while learning French to B2, it's his language journey to take and his alone. To each his/her/their own.

Quite so. I'm only throwing out discussion as a guest on a log (hanks to PM for tolerating me!). At the end of the day everyone's path is their own.
6 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:05 am

The thing is, I/we could analyse this until the cows come home, or I could just get on with it ;) However, I do appreciate the comments and sincerely see the merit in all of them.

I'll leave you with these quotes:
Albert Einstein wrote:Even if you go through hell - go without hesitation

Mehmet Murat Ildan wrote:Be like a train; go in the rain, go in the sun, go in the storm, go in the dark tunnels! Be like a train; concentrate on your road and go with no hesitation!
4 x

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:04 am

Good luck man. I recently restarted FSI myself. It's always useful in my opinion, as long as you're still doing other stuff with the language on the side.
6 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:46 am

Okay, I will add a few comments, then. You convinced me! ;)

Deinonysus wrote:I was actually working on half of his big six around the new year and I found it to be extremely helpful.

Fortheo wrote:Good luck man. I recently restarted FSI myself. It's always useful in my opinion, as long as you're still doing other stuff with the language on the side.

Thank you for sharing your experiences ;) I appreciate the positive feedback and as Deinonysus also mentioned, I think the value in doing such courses is underestimated, within reason of course - as Fortheo mentions, as long as you're still doing other stuff with the language (I carry the course books around, that counts, right? :lol: ). Yesterday evening I jumped at the opportunity to listen to some French audio of a TV programme my wife was watching. You see? All good ;)

luke wrote:PM is at the level where a nice consolidation, however short or long it is, will be super helpful under the circumstances.

iguanamon wrote:Regardless of whether PM's approach is the best or most appropriate, if he wants to go through all the French courses he missed out on while learning French to B2, it's his language journey to take and his alone. To each his/her/their own.

Yes, there's value in it, but not for everyone.

Le Baron wrote:

Quite so. I'm only throwing out discussion as a guest on a log (hanks to PM for tolerating me!). At the end of the day everyone's path is their own.

I appreciate your reflections, Le Baron. I know it might seem like I am out to either iron out every single possible imperfection, or that I've lied about my level and I'm still at A2. Thing is, in going through Vocabulaire progressif du francais - niveau debutant, I've marked lots of pages with one or two unfamiliar expressions and I did pass a B2 some years ago. one could hypothesize that I'm now at a C1 level. These expressions in the aforementioned beginner course book are unfamiliar in that were I wanting to say said expression, I'd either say it in another way or say it clunkily - there's always room for improvement even with simple expressions. I am indeed aiming to iron out flaws. I don't expect complete perfection, ever, but there's nothing wrong with improving one's language skills. Aren't we all trying to iron out our imperfections/improve our language skills? We all just go about things differently. Btw, not all these courses are beginner courses. Some are, some are intermediate, some are advanced, some are more advanced. I expect to learn A LOT from all these materials. Courses are underrated. This will not be my only activity and it will not last forever.

some examples from that course book:

"Dans la semaine"
I didn't realise we could say this. I would say "pendant la semaine", which is also ok.

être reçu(e) à son examen/ être recalé(e) à son examen
I don't use this. I would say: j'ai réussi mon examen/ j'ai raté mon examen.

demander le divorce
I didn't know about this expression. I'd say il/elle veut divorcer. Again, can be said, just didn't know this other way of expressing it.

ouvrir une porte à quelqu'un
I would incorrectly say pour quelqu'un.

Sometimes no amount of extensive study will iron out such issues. Sometimes we need focused study. Well at least that is what I've found.

iguanamon wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:...Disclaimer:
I'm likely to give up after two weeks and see the folly of my ways. I'll return again in another year and give up again after three weeks. At age 81 I will complete this and wonder why the hell I bothered, realising for a serving-sized portion of my brain, I was actually insane.

He'll probably make a week. :lol:

Shall we turn my log into a gambling thread? I say two months.
8 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:36 am

Just started doing something else I said I wouldn't do.... Anki! Before you know it I'll be using an e-reader! ;)

This may/may not last. I've commenced adding unknowns into Anki and a notebook simultaneously (need a non-electricity-dependent-shit-goes-down-end-of-world-alternative). I just wanted a better way of recording things I don't want to forget my course material. We'll see how long that lasts, shall we (bets now open).

Progress in general is slow as there is much going on around me and language learning is taking a back seat. It's a passion, but as mentioned before, some things just need my attention, and now it seems those needs are heightened. No drama, languages continue to exist in my daily routine. I am trying to reach an hour each day, but I even missed that yesterday. Otherwise I'm continuing with French and Dutch with the kids.
8 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:01 am

What's it been, a week? Iguanamon wins! Okay, so I'm still continuing with language learning, and French courses, but the state of humanity is doing my head in. Thus, I reserve the right to study whatever I want to whenever I want to in whatever languages. I think I'll step away from the forum for a while.
5 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:28 pm

Bugger...wish I'd laid a good wager on it now! :lol:

Okay, seriously... it doesn't matter. Who doesn't make a dozen tall-order scenarios only to flounder? I set myself the goal of painting the hallway a month ago. I bought the paint at least. Now it is sitting there looking at me.
6 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:50 am

And I have the stuff to paint a shower after repairing it. It's probably been six months. :)
5 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:03 am

I'm in a kind of living a nightmare and yet in a kind of a much desired situation at the same time.

Suddenly languages have been thrust into the realm of 'utterly important' for me and my family. I will remain cryptic as it's not the time nor the place to detail such things and perhaps I'm just being egocentric, dramatic, and all in all it's a matter of perception, but I've once again turned full circle. That is to say, if there ever was a time in which French C2 success was guaranteed due to outside forces (and through the process of hard work and perseverance that I intend to undertake), that time is now. It's time to get down to business, PM. It's now or never, like for realz-io.

Stay tuned... (well, you can go off and do other things, you have my permission, otherwise you might be waiting a while).

Le Premier Ministre.... de moi et mon univers, foolz. Faites gaffe à la matrice de contrôle, l'Illusion, c'est la bataille finale !
6 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Yep. He finally lost the plot.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language logs”