Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PM's Big 4 in French: Assimil, FSI, FIA & CLE

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:00 am

rlnv wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:As for Grammaire en dialogues which I also added to my CLE line-up. This I will keep. And of course I will still do all levels of Vocab and Grammaire progressif/ve du français. I was basically going to do overkill by doing those extra courses i've now cut while already doing overkill anyway.

Word up.

These are the two of the CLE series that I'm working on. Are you still planning on starting with at the Débutant level? I am doing it as I need a refresher, but I get the impression that you are much further along and could easily start at the mid level books - if you so wished.

Hey Ron,

I will start at the débutant levels in all 3 of my CLE chosen 'streams' (grammaire en dialogues, vocab progressif, grammaire progressive). The latter two are sitting in my draw of my desk here (débutant and interm. levels), thus I don't want to 'waste them'. If they are very easy, I will speed through them, if not, then I will take my time. I will adjust appropriately my pace to the difficulty level for me personally, or if something requires focused revision etc. They are nevertheless not small books/courses, so we'll see just how fast I do move through them. Time will tell. ;)
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:51 pm

Reflections

FSI
It is actually becoming tougher than I thought in Unit 7. I spoke to soon, thinking it was a tad too easy. Yes the vocab is easy but the reversing of subject-verb order at times I find sends my head in a spin. I realise this formal type of French (verb-subject) is not likely to be used in everyday speech very often, and although I am very familiar with it from other textbooks, speaking them in the time provided in the drills can be tricky at times when you throw in a direct or indirect object and the pronoun 'on'. That's what really throws me. Thus i've had to do quite a few drills already numerous times until I got a perfect 'score' (no errors) and would move on to the next drill. I'm also trying now to get a perfect score once through with answers only, then again repeating the question immediately and the answer both in the time provided for a complete clear run-through of the drill in question ie 2 passes, then move to the next drill. Sometimes the drills become easy again though and I just go through once no problem.

FIA
Starting to become more interesting as I move on to leçon 16 now. The literary and cultural documents in the textbook are holding much more interest for me now than they ever did in the past.

Assimil Using French
Considerably tougher now, and taking considerably longer to 'master' a lesson before moving on. I'm estimating a week a lesson, but I don't care. The current lesson- number 52 an abridged except from Les misérables is truly fascinating and exactly as the Assimil author describes it, beautifully written. It does make me want to read more of Victor Hugo, but that is for another time.

Fluenz French 4
Currently on lesson 23. I'm advancing nicely through the lessons. I still really like this course for drilling and listening and speaking practise. It's a great series for that alone and I will finish number 5 some day, but not after I finish level 4, because then come the CLE series waiting patiently for my attention.

Mauger's Cours de langue et de civilisation françaises:
Very keen on the sound of this course once again, especially after reading about it in this log:
http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=813
I'm considering turning my Big 4 into a Big 5, but as I don't want this Big whatever to fail, I will only add it once my Big 4 are up and running full swing with little to no hitches to synergy and progression. If I deem it possible I will add this classic course. If not, it will have to wait until at least one of the Big 4 is completed.

Trip to France?
My wife and I are considering a lengthy trip to France next year. There are a lot of variables at work that will decide on how long and even if we do go, but it is currently a source of inspiration. It means I must progress solidly from here on on this mission of mine. I also aim to sit the B2 in November which may mean an interruption to my Big 4 as I add one practise exam course to my daily routine a month or two beforehand and increase (from zero) my speaking practise.

As for going to France I have been in two minds. It would mean spending a considerable amount of money, money which could've been going towards a more permanent move to France. However I think if I delay it to wait for the perfect moment, it could be a mistake. We will see this is a reconnaissance mission to get a feel for the country again and where we would want to move to potentially for a part time basis each year, or even longer if possible. I think/we think this is important for us as a family- regarding our future, motivation, direction, all that stuff-ola. I do also need to progress through the process of getting my nursing qualifications assessed and possibly being able to work in France/Switzerland or both. It's a scary cumbersome red tape ridden difficult looking process, but if I can stick to a rediculously big list of big courses, then I can do this.

Peace out,
Marty McFly
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Reflections part two

Big 5
So I've decided I will add Mauger's Cours de langue et de civilisation and make my Big 4 a Big 5.

After this line up of courses I'm aiming to minimise any futher French course use. I really wanted to say I'd not do any, but I need to be realistic (i kinda like them) and allow for the possibility of doing one course at any given time. Thus I'm aiming to get through this Big 5 and diminish it all the way to zero, then pick up one course and one only at a time from then on, in order that time can be devoted to other activities.

I am also continuing Pimsleur French 5 during my commutes to work and back. No big deal, easy done, doesn't take time from my other courses. However once it's done, the way I feel now I dont' want to go back and review any (audio) courses i want to move towards more native audio only while commuting. I think I'm doing enough courses that any 'outside' activities should be devoted to 'real French' asap.

I also need to step up (from nothing) my conversational practise. If i'm expecting to have a chance at passing some tougher exams I need to be realistic and work on this as well. I'm thinking perhaps 2 planned conversations a week is a good amount, perhaps starting September is what i'm currently thinking.

Although I really want to stick to Big 5 only, in the lead up to any exams I am likely to introduce (temporarily) some exam practise (courses) pre exam for a month or two. I'm thinking it will occupy an hour of my 3 hour routine each day, so my Big 5 will slow down considerably but I think it won't matter too much- if i'm always learning and adding exam prep, how can that hurt. But I do need the speaking practise and I do need to ensure native material is a part of my daily exposure to French outside of my allotted course 'desk study' time.

So after the Tour de France (seems to be the only sporting event I get someone fanatical about these days), I will have more time again to watch the news or other French programs from time to time, or read. I really need to push myself to use French more as my medium of information gathering or entertainment. Still, with all this course study lately, there's not that much time left most days. Btw i'm not interested in watching Le Tour de France with French commentary. I'm so used to and very much a fan of the English/Australian commentators that I don't really want to change that, still one day I can imagine I will give French commentary a go, but for now, no thanks. Back to trying to make French as my language of choice (over English) for entertainmet and info. I will endeavour to do this more than i have been recently- 6 months ago I was probably better but recent months have seen me drop the ball a little. Anyway, onwards and upwards, no looking back, getting my face changed tomorrow at the face exchange shop. Should be nice to walk around with a different face for a while.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: PM's Big 5 in French: Assimil, FSI, Mauger's Cours de Lan. et de Civ. Fr., CLE & FIA

Postby Ani » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:57 pm

Wait what?? I get busy for a week and you substantially change the challenge AND the "don't worry it's going to be long term" thread title???

Ooh fine fine fine. Does this include the difficult to find 4th book?
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Re: PM's Big 5 in French: Assimil, FSI, Mauger's Cours de Lan. et de Civ. Fr., CLE & FIA

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:44 pm

Ani wrote:Wait what?? I get busy for a week and you substantially change the challenge AND the "don't worry it's going to be long term" thread title???

Ooh fine fine fine. Does this include the difficult to find 4th book?

I would recommend you stay well away from me Ani. I'm a bad influence, seriously. I didn't consult you as this/me- well I'm a tad rediculous, so I'll say this once only- don't do what I do... however it's a really nice series ;) and I will include the difficult
to find book 4.
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:46 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:ReflectionsTrip to France?
My wife and I are considering a lengthy trip to France next year. There are a lot of variables at work that will decide on how long and even if we do go, but it is currently a source of inspiration. It means I must progress solidly from here on on this mission of mine. I also aim to sit the B2 in November which may mean an interruption to my Big 4 as I add one practise exam course to my daily routine a month or two beforehand and increase (from zero) my speaking practise.

I'm getting really excited by this, PMarty! Looking forward to reading about your exam prep and your (potential) France trip!
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Elenia wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:ReflectionsTrip to France?

I'm getting really excited by this, PMarty! Looking forward to reading about your exam prep and your (potential) France trip!

Thank you Elenia. I have one book in particular lined up for B2 exam prep called "Preparation a l'examen B2". I tried a teaser of it some months ago now and it appears quite good. I'm thinking an hour a day of it, or perhaps an hour every 2nd day from September onwards. I really really do need to speak more though, so this is a definitive part of my plan too. As for the trip, i'm definitely determined to make this happen. Thanks Elenia for stopping by again ;)
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:42 am

1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:38 am

This link is to your log... silly ;)
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:48 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:

This link is to your log... silly ;)

Haha oh today is so hard :) Looks like you found it anyway

http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3121
1 x

Return to “Language logs”