Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PM’s Full Throttle Face Off vs Flat-out, Flat-stick, Fully sick French Till Mid Nov 2018 Exam(s)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:23 am

iguanamon wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:...My other equally favourite resource is "Bien-dire", which isn't a course. If every language had the same publication, a combination of Assimil and Bien-dire would suit me nicely. Santa, you listening, tell those publishers in Lyon to expand their range!

One thing about language-learning is that bigger, more popular languages have many more learning resources available for learners. Spanish has VeinteMundos which is online in a magazine article format with varied stories from across the Spanish-speaking world. The articles include audio and mouse-over definitions of specific vocabulary points. The articles have free downloadable pdf's and mp3 audio. A learner could certainly combine this resource with Assimil and Destinos after, say, halfway through it maybe.

This kind of resource isn't/wasn't available for my other languages. I venture to say it probably isn't out there for most languages. There's a reason for this. There isn't much of a market for it. Most learners rarely advance beyond a course. Most learners never even get past the first three lessons of a course let alone finish one. It's amazing how good of a condition used self-teaching language courses are in when I buy them. So it's a limited market. VeinteMundos is, by the way, free.
PeterMollenburg wrote:Actually on that note, much of my French comes from time away from my desk these days ... Maybe I am C1, but I'm certainly weak when it comes to the exam formats. So, Globalia still feels challenging, as there's plenty of words and terminology I simply do not know.

Good job, PM, using those hidden moments productively! French is part of your life. Globalia feels challenging because you probably haven't read a novel before in French, if you have read one you haven't mentioned many. The first one is always the hardest. The second novel is also hard but a little easier. (Within a novel, the first half is the hardest. I've found that after reading two thirds it gets much easier.) By the time of the third or fourth novel, things start to get a lot easier and I get surprised at how much I know from what's passed before. It's a snowball effect.

I've been reading an old Raymond Chandler noir detective novel- The Big Sleep or O Sono Eterno/La Grande Dormida in Portuguese and Catalan. The adjectives used in this novel are quite flowery but utterly useless in 98% of what I do/will do in either language. Too lazy to make a parallel text out of it, I've been reading a chapter in Portuguese and re-reading the same chapter in Catalan. Here's an example of the language the author uses. Bear in mind that the book is over 70 years old.
Raymond Chandler- The Big Sleep wrote:The gentle-eyed, horse-faced maid let me into the long gray and white upstairs sitting room with the ivory drapes tumbled extravagantly on the floor and the white carpet from wall to wall. A screen star's boudoir, a place of charm and seduction, artificial as a wooden leg. It was empty at the moment. The door closed behind me with the unnatural softness of a hospital door. A breakfast table on wheels stood by the chaise-longue. Its silver glittered. There were cigarette ashes in the coffee cup. I sat down and waited.
It seemed a long time before the door opened again and Vivian came in. She was in oyster-white lounging pajamas trimmed with white fur, cut as flowingly as a summer sea frothing on the beach of some small and exclusive island.

The descriptive constructions "tumbled extravagantly" and "as flowingly as a summer sea frothing on the beach" are not how I would describe anything in English or in any of my other languages in my daily life. This type of language is probably only found in a novel. The thing is though, that even though this is useless (nobody would ever plug these sentences into anki) some of it matters more than we may think- if not immediately, then down the road. The word "frothing" I've only ever seen used as "frothing at the mouth" but the equivalent uses of "froth" in TL translate as a variation of "foam" which is a useful word. "Extravagant" is also a handy word to use from time to time, still, not everyday language.

Don't get too down about it. As s_allard says, it's how well you can manipulate French that matters. While I make reading and watching/listening an important part of my learning, there are plenty of other ways to absorb vocabulary and structures, which you've been doing for a long time. Maybe they aren't "tumbling extravagantly as flowingly as summer sea frothing on the beach" but, you have a great command of the basics of French and that's something you can build on to improve it. So start practicing reading about topics and describing what you've read, taking a position and defending it or arguing against it. I hope you'll find the time to start giving those practice test materials a chance.

Hey iguanamon,

Without being all soppy, and simply from a realist perspective, and this is not overstated, you've given me so much good advice over the years. Rain, hail, dog turds or blissful sunshine, you've been there to offer advice. It's pertinent, not overbearing, well-timed and always quite simply good stuff, mate. And, it's not just for me, you do this for so many people on the forum. Although, you're a long way a way, I feel like you are a true friend. Thanks again iguanamon (I have bookmarked Veinte Mundos for future reference ;) ). I'll keep my log updated on my progress with of course references to actual exam prep material. Muchas gracias amigo, hasta la próxima vez :) Sabes, no estoy estudiando ahora, pero tuve que hacer algo que es màs importante... lo màs importante! - poner màs cursos en mi télefono. Otra cosa... si algún día me gustaría estudiar el portugues, voy a venir buscarte ;) (pero vas a esperar mucho tiempo!)
4 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Re: PM’s Full Throttle Face Off vs Flat-out, Flat-stick, Fully sick French Till Mid Nov 2018 Exam(s)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:40 pm

Courses I’m super-keen to one day get stuck into (just doing this as an exercise in time wasting):

Français
• Cortina Method : Conv. FR in 20 Lessons
• The Berlitz Self Teacher French
• Assimil French Without Toil
• Assimil Business French
• Hugo French Advanced
• Colloquial French 2
• French in Action
• Practise Makes Perfect : Subjunctive
• FSI Basic French
• Cours de Langue + de Civilisation Françaises
• CLE : Grammaire en dialogues (déb)
• CLE : Grammaire en dialogues (inter)
• CLE : Grammaire en dialogues (avancé)
• CLE : Grammaire Progressive du FR (inter)
• CLE : Grammaire Prog. du FR (avancé)
• CLE : Grammaire Prog. du FR (perfect.)
• Tell Me More (Business/advanced)
• Ultimate FR Rev. & Practise
• Ultimate French Verb Rev. & Practise

Nederlands
Colloquial Dutch
Méthode 90 néerlandais
Assimil New Dutch with Ease
Assimil Le Néerlandais
Assimil Dutch without Toil
Assimil La pratique du Néerlandais
Colloquial Dutch 2
Hugo Dutch Advanced
Teach Yourself Dutch Grammar

Español
Destinos: An Introduction to Spanish
Nuevos Destinos: Intensive & high beginner courses
Nuevos Destinos: Intermediate Grammar Review Courses
Nuevos Destinos: Con destino à la comunicación
Nuevos Destinos: Español para hispanohablantes
Colloquial Spanish
Colloquial Spanish 2
Maybe Assimil Spanish courses

Deutsch
Fokus Deutsch
Deutsch - warum nicht?
Any Assimil German courses

Norsk
Assimil Le Norvégien
Hugo Norwegian in three months
The Mystery of Nils Norwegian Course 1 & 2
Colloquial Norwegian
Beginner’s Norwegian
Teach Yourself Complete Norwegian
Teach Yourself Enjoy Norwegian

Wanderlust further afield
(in descending order of curiosity)
Assimil Le Breton
Assimil L’Occitan
Any decent Luxembourgish course(s)
Assimil Le Catalan
Assimil Basque unifié
Assimil Le Corse
Assimil L’Arabe
Assimil L’Arabe perfectionnement
3 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:23 pm

Come on dude, only one language has FSI/DLI? I know they have courses for Dutch, German and Spanish. ;)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:28 pm

Xenops wrote:Come on dude, only one language has FSI/DLI? I know they have courses for Dutch, German and Spanish. ;)

The real skeleton in PM's closet is that he never did the DLI course for French. He even said he was going to "skip" it because it was "unnecessary." I bet he has nightmares where he's pursued by a ten foot tall notebook that says DLI French on it ...
10 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Xenops wrote:Come on dude, only one language has FSI/DLI? I know they have courses for Dutch, German and Spanish. ;)

It’s on my ‘master list’ of French courses, which is over double (just shy of triple) the length of the list above. It just didn’t make that ‘super cool list’. I dare not attempt a DLI course or they soon would make the cut, I’d imagine. I’ve alo heard DLI Dutch is a very decent course indeed, but without having putchased it since it’s free and therefore not have it physically haunting reminding me each time I rummage around in one of my boxes full of French materials, I,m not really going to know just how good it is, Ignorance is bliss they say ;) Now where’s that link to all the DLI courses... :lol:
4 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 pm

1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:16 pm

I went back and made a ‘must do’ list of French and Dutch courses. I even completed deleted my French course ‘master list’ as there really was too much fluff (the list is extreme enough as it is). DLI makes the cut for Dutch. Figuring out how i can get through all this stuff fairly speedily while not ignoring native content and exam prep will be the hard part!

FRENCH
Liste des cours que je dois finir :
• Prac. Makes Perf. : Subjunctive
• Fluenz French 5
• D'accord - La pron. du FR int. (DVD)
• The Berlitz Self Teacher French
• Cortina M : Conv. FR in 20 Lessons
• Assimil French Without Toil
• CLE : Gram. en dialogues (déb)
• Le Mauger Bleu I
Leçon 25 (piste 5, 02,26)
• Hugo French Advanced
• French in Action
Leçon 19
• Colloquial French 2
• Assimil Business French
• CLE : Gram Prog du FR (inter)
• CLE : Gram. en dialogues (int.)
• FSI Basic French
Piste 60, 12,12, A-7
• Le Mauger Bleu II
• Tell Me More (levels 1-10)
• Pract. makes Per. Adv French Gram.
• CLE : Gram. en dialogues (av.)
• CLE : Gram Prog du FR (avancé)
• Tell Me More (Business/advanced)
• Le Mauger Bleu III
• Le Mauger Bleu IV
• CLE : Gram Prog du FR (perfect.)
• Ultimate FR Verb Rev. & Pract.
• Ultimate FR Rev. & Practise
• Streetwise French 1
• Learn French with Jokes 1
• Streetwise French 2
• Learn French with Jokes 2
• French in Action (3rd ed.) (a skimming will do fine)

Vocabulaire que je dois finir :
• M Durand's Words, Phrases & Sent's
• CLE : Voc Prog du FR (déb) p102
• CLE : Voc Prog du FR (inter)
• French Frequency Dic. (5000 words)
• Biling. FR Visual Dict. (6000 words)
• French for EN speakers (9000 wds)
• CLE : Voc Prog du FR (avancé)
• Barron's Mastering French Vocab.
• Van Dale Grt B’w’b’k (22,500 wds)
• Mot à Mot New Advanced FR Vocab
• Dirty French
• CLE : Vocab Prog du FR (perfect.)

DUTCH
Hugo Dutch in 3 Months
Collins Gem Dutch Phrasebook
Pimsleur
Teach Yourself Dutch Conversation
Michel Thomas - Speak Dutch
Teach Yourself Beginner's Dutch
Teach Yourself Get Started in Dutch
Go Dutch!
Teach Yourself Dutch
Teach Yourself Complete Dutch
Colloquial Dutch
Basic Dutch
Glossika Dutch EN-NL 1
Beginner's Dutch
Intermediate Dutch
Assimil New Dutch with Ease
Glossika Dutch EN-NL 2
Méthode 90 néerlandais
Assimil Le Néerlandais
Tell Me More
Glossika EN-NL 3
Glossika FR-NL 1
Routledge Intensive Dutch Course
Assimil Dutch without Toil
Glossika FR-NL 2
Speak Dutch
Colloquial Dutch 2
Hugo Dutch Advanced
Glossika FR-NL 3
Assimil La pratique du Néerlandais
Linguaphone Cursus Nederlands
DLI Dutch
Teach Yourself Dutch Grammar

Edit:
***** Disclaimer- I’ve been known to have a tendency to creating such fanciful lists over the years, pay little attention! *****
Last edited by PeterMollenburg on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:29 pm

And I thought I would be busy for the rest of my life sticking to physical material in my personal collection... Do you ever sleep?
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:44 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:And I thought I would be busy for the rest of my life sticking to physical material in my personal collection... Do you ever sleep?

It just so happens I’m dog tired today, but not because I’ve been working my way through courses, but because I’ve been counting them, dissecting them, copying and pasting within them, underlining, bolding and numbering them! All this, of course, is highly useful exam preparation!
3 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:47 pm

What's your opinion of the Colloquial of TY series? I'm trying to figure out how to best use them, as I've never used them before. While I'm at it, what you think of Linguaphone? I've tried to discuss stuff about the course content before here, but all people seem interested in is how pretty or old it is, and not what's in it.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”