Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PM’s Exit Strategy from the Matrix: FRENCH C2. (Then B2 in: NL, NO, ES)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:13 am

DaveAgain wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Watching Dark on Netflix, and have just finished season 2 again. I've said it many times, but I'll say it again. This show is awesome. It oozes quality, has a fantastic storyline (at least I love it) and it's European - German. I watch it in French audio dub and it's a good one for those not terribly confident with listening skills, or not confident enough for rapid conversation as a lot of the dialogue and narration is at a reasonable speaking pace. Such an awesome series... watch it if you haven't! On to season three...
I've been watching some Belgian-Dutch TV series, you hear a funny mix of French, English and Dutch [German cognates!].

Professor T is probably the best of the ones I've seen, I'm currently watching Code 37 (Ghent vice squad).

NB
There is a new Matrix film!

These Belgian shows sound interesting.... too bad I'm on a French mission... but hopefully I can still find these when I get to focus on Dutch around the year 2047!

As for the Matrix. Yeah I heard. I don't really keep up with new film releases nowadays but this one I was told about a little while ago and I'm excited. The first is a classic in my book, the second pretty good, the third not so good. I hope this one can at least come close to the first.
5 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:08 am

Still trapped in the Matrix... This is turning out to be exactly what I anticipated but didn't want to admit... a hard slog, one in which if I don't get myself really into gear, it's just not going to happen any time soon.

Pushing into the C-levels can assumingly, hypothetically, happen gradually, I muse, perhaps almost unnoticed depending on one's routine (exam papers for fun anyone?), but I don't want it to just happen gradually, I want to force fate's hand and carve my destiny as one of the slowest participants in the fast lane to C1/C2. Perhaps I could tout myself as one of the fastest slow lane participants? Pffft, get on with it PM, don't open a post with drivel and tripe....

November 2021
While 70 hours and 57 minutes isn't terrible, I feel like nearly six hours short of October feels like 20 hours. I think the problem was a lack of consistency with two or three days above six or seven hours and two (maybe three) days of absolutely nothing. My routine has been way out of whack and my bad routine habits have been as bad as ever. Time to get the ol' cat o' nine tails out and give myself a self inflicted punishing I won't forget in a hurry. I keep trying to pass into fabled "hard-working super efficient French Dalf preparation progress land" and it lasts for about a few days at best. I guess this is part of the ups and downs as they have been known to say in Dutch. Shame on you Dutch, shamelessly borrowing whole catch phrases.

On that side note, it bugs me, although I've gotten used to it much more nowadays that French speakers and I'm guessing this happens for a lot of European languages with their high command of English, readily borrow English catch phrases on a semi-frequent basis. I feel like saying "no, you're not cool, you're annoying me" but instead I've learned to say "yeah, there it is again" or "huh, oh yeah, not so cool, but I get it".

Learning with the kids

French is ingrained into the children's routine, psyche, normality. Dutch is not far behind but our level of conversation could do with some improvement at times mainly on my part as I guide them and help them and sometimes I lack the vocabulary or complexity of grammar. This can happen with French on the rare occasion but it's usually solved without batting an eyelid. Still, had I not gone down this path with them at all in Dutch, they'd be speaking no Dutch and understanding no Dutch songs nor TV or stories. We're all learning and improving together and it's a journey worth travelling for all of us. The rejection of Dutch which happened with the kids at times a year or so ago is long gone. They are more than happy to indulge in Dutch resources on Dutch days (although they probably would almost secretly prefer it were French every day - still Dutch has gone from most hated language to second most favourite - success!).

Spanish is my next target with the kids. I consider French to be their second most important language after English (although I'd like to think it's their most important, the fact is we live in Australia), and I do as much as I can to keep it on a par or hot the heels of English. Dutch is an important language (because I want it to be) from a heritage perspective in part. Spanish will be a more relaxed approach for now. I don't want to overdo it.

Thus, I've decided to read the first 15 minutes of each day whether it falls on a "French day" or a "Dutch day" in Spanish (the rest of the reading session that day is in Dutch or French). Time is a problem, but 15 minutes is enough exposure on a regular basis over months, years to improve their comprehension (and mine) immensely. Little by little. They already watch some Spanish TV, I've already done intermittent reading sessions, and now it's time to bring it into the routine on a regular basis in small manageable amounts. No direct conversation planned at this stage. It'll come, but no rush. I might feel more comfortable after several months of consistent reading, or still might want to hold off. We'll see.

Back to me

Dammit, who can I pay already for this damned certificate?!! Even if I could get it for free, what good would it do me? This is a personal goal I feel personally that I must achieve and no freebies are going to replace the work and achievement it takes to reach the said goal. Get on with it PM, get on with it!

I'd post some pretty pictures of books and series I've watched in recent months but it's too fiddly, it's late and I've never got enough time (okay, rare, but right now I don't! One day maybe).
14 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:50 pm

Why don't you teach your kids Korean? :twisted:
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:01 pm

rdearman wrote:Why don't you teach your kids Korean? :twisted:

Excellent idea! I'll start this afternoon!
7 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:06 pm

지금이 가장 좋은 때입니다.
행운을 빕니다
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:34 pm

rdearman wrote:지금이 가장 좋은 때입니다.
행운을 빕니다

Dank je beaucoup. Quiero dat mon tysk heel goed maintenant es. Estàs norsk? Gracias.
4 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:57 pm

Some wanderlust musings...

2022 will potentially be my last completely dedicated year of French study (without actively studying any other language at the same time). However, as we know, we make plans and we break them (especially me, like every second hour), life breaks them, aliens land and take over my body (happened in the year 1064, I know)...

So... French in 2022 - C1 and C2 success on the horizon (or else I will call the aliens personally to come and lay waste to my brain, my language learning content and my grandiose impressions of my level of French language attainment).

Until recently I was under the ridiculous impression that 2023 would be the year of the Nederlander. Boy was I wrong. While I am keen to take Dutch further (that sounds familiar), the language is growing in the family anyway, albeit slowly - slowly but surely. Spanish has just been introduced on a more regular basis because unlike Norwegian I can actually read it to my kids and not worry about mispronouncing half the language.

So... 2023 will be the year of the learning of the Norsk tongue. Watch me change this plan like the ridiculous one that I am and come up with a perfectly insanely good reason for it. I am very keen on getting my competence around the melodies of Norwegian pronunciation. I really want to push this language fast into the advanced realm (not gonna happen!) and I need a good excuse to return to Norway with my kids at some point. By focusing on Norwegian in 2023 I can introduce it in the household as another working language of the United Household of the Ridiculosos. Spanish, Dutch, French (and English) already have varying degrees of presence that includes actually speaking the language or as in the case of Spanish, just reading aloud. Norwegian simply cannot exist in that same sphere without some serious study and thus it makes sense to focus on it next, that is after French.

Then, there's always the democratic element that attracts me to Norway/Norwegian. A country I look to when fed up with the political manoeuvres and stupidity in other countries. It's not perfect but it's so far proved to be better than the rest, usually. A country with a seriously good quality of life, beautiful nature, a quirky language, too much English prevalence and snow. And since there's snow nowhere else in the world, Macron can go jump, bring on Norway! (wait until I discover all the things wrong with Norway ;) )

Now, who distracted me from my French studies? :x
8 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:54 am

Recent books read, recent series watched....

As mentioned in a previous post, perhaps a couple months back, I found this book unapologetically dark. I was looking forward to this book for some time, and anticipated a glimmer of hope at the end if not a happy/happier ending than what I found. I put the book down after finishing it rather distastefully. As some of you may know I entertain the idea/notion of large control mechanisms occurring in reality, but often hidden, in our world. This world was a bit too close for comfort to the dystopia that I don't want to see our world become. Unfortunately of late, the probability of such seems much higher than previously. Of course I hope that I am wrong. The future is not written in stone is my firmly held belief, but of course there are those (again my belief) that appear to be (mis)directing humanity as a whole. Not my kind of book, but worth reading once.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like to think we can heal ourselves without the use of the strongly pushed medications in western societies. Mind you some highly marketed allopathic medications are a saviour and definitely have their place. This book was a foray into that kind (natural) of territory. Simple enough, straightforward enough. Seems like common sense, but it's not. High-dose vitamin C is being constantly proven in research as a wonderous miracle for human health. Research papers are proving this frequently, numerously and incessantly and yet we continue on with the marketed allopathic be all and end alls. I reserve the right to choose how to heal myself and yet in society today that seems to be becoming markedly less permitted (see my comments on 1984). Dangerous territory - don't you dare think for yourself!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After 1984 I needed a feel good book. Straight forward language again, straight forward principles but rarely applied in modern day life. I've read the original in English, this is the first time I've read the translation. It'll remain on my bookshelf with a bunch of other books as my go to 'reconnecting books' for when I need to remind myself of our true human (spiritual) nature. A really entertaining story with some very decent underlying truths about our nature that can be put into practise by anyone willing to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another translation (they are all in this list). Another book that will be added to my pile of 'reconnecting books' as the last one above. Although I've certainly been one to accept other disciplinary approaches than corporal punishment, I was never 100% convinced that eliminating the use of such punishment was necessarily the best approach. I don't encourage nor practise corporal punishment but felt that the idea of complete elimination of such disciplinary approaches might one day be proven to be incorrect. I've always felt that any new idea (okay it's not that new) touted in the public sphere as the next best thing since sliced bread ought to be addressed with caution before swallowing it as the hard cold latest absolute truth.

So I began reading the book open-mindedly yet with an eye for propaganda/sales pitch. I do feel that many a book has been written merely to sway public behaviour and orchestrate social engineering, albeit subtly at times. I was pleasantly surprised and pleasantly convinced through the author's presentation of reasoning and research as to why corporal punishment and dictatorial approaches are absolutely not a sound approach to raising children in a most encouraging and peaceful manner.

Of course complete permissiveness is not the answer either, again as discussed in the book. This makes me think that the answer to extreme left wing politics is not the extreme right and vice versa. The I say, you do authoritarian approach is not the answer to raising free thinking wise children, and utter permissiveness creates chaos at the other end of the spectrum.

Of course, it's not a walk in the park raising free thinking, self-reflecting children, but this book lays out some pretty decent strategies and tools more likely to produce success and close relationships with your children as opposed to children who can't wait to escape tyrannical leadership or complete chaos. Children need guided structure, not authoritarianism, nor rule-free best friend parents that unwittingly promote a trail of chaos.

I recommend this book to any parent willing to self reflect on their parenting strategies or remind themselves of the importance of raising children through love and nurturing independent thinking. Ironically much of the authoritarian style parenting reminded me of our state leader - "You will do as I bloody well say!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finished season 3 of Dark, a German time-travel series. In series one and two I was blown away by the high quality of the series. I watched it in French dub. Season three was more of the excellent quality and managed to tie things up nicely. I still think I enjoyed the first two series perhaps slightly more despite the very high ratings on imdb.com continuing in third series. I felt the theme got slightly tiring at times trying to work out who was who from which time period and how they tied into the whole time loops, but still bloody awesome all round. Highly recommended.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lost in Space...

Easy watching (French dub again). I watched this when I couldn't bring myself to study or was simply to tired to. Not that keen on the third series in the beginning, but then again quite good when held up against other sci-fi films and series set in outer space - a genre I generally consider to be usually poorly done (perhaps it's just a difficult genre to make decent content in?). This one, although not awesome, held up pretty well against the rest and was generally quite entertaining.
8 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:57 am

So... 2021 is almost done. It's been a tumultuous year for both language learning and everything else. I doubt 2022 will be much better, but I will try to weather storm and proceed with the French objective - C1 and C2. I feel like I'm sick to death of attempting to pass C-level exams despite only ever sitting one, for which I had less than ideal preparation but still gave it a good go a couple years back. I hope to change this in 2022.

I aim to study 3 hours per day of planned focused desk study plus extra outside of this (commutes, exercise etc). I plan to stick to it until I've met my objectives. I plan to surpass 1000hrs of French study in 2022. 2021 has been my lowest total yet for French I believe and likely due to running out of steam, getting a bit lost, wanderlusting, running into the intermediate plateau and being freaked out by the state of the world. I plan for 2022 comprising of much more reading and writing than ever before as well as a good deal of watching/listening, plenty of vocabulary building and a good deal of advanced grammar suitable for exam purposes. I'll be swimming in French. I'm going to say something bold now.... I won't be back around these parts until my mission is complete. I've got the tools, I know what I need to do, many an excellent forum member has provided me with ample instruction and advice, now I need to put it all into practise until I get what I came for 8-) ...Bye
12 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:33 am

We would love to live vicariously through your journey! Feel free to leave updates! Best of luck!
9 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Return to “Language logs”