Strictly German

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Re: Strictly German

Postby renaissancemedici » Sun May 27, 2018 4:29 am

Thank you all very much. I need to study harder of course.

The thing is my father died two days ago, after long periods in and out of the hospital. There was no time for studies as I spent ever hour in the hospital, and now there are a ton of things to be done. So this month is probably not a language month...

I'm not giving up anything though. I'm more determined than ever to follow my dreams, languages included.

There are so many brave people in the hospitals (and out) fighting for their life, full of courage and cheerful energy, despite their sufferings. I'll never forget the people I met there.

Carpe diem is an undestatement.
6 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)

Postby renaissancemedici » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:29 am

German on hold until further notice.
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:25 pm

German is back on.

The course is FSI Basic German.

The goal is to finish the course. I don't care about levels right now, just to learn all of it.

No old books or anything like that, just dictionary and grammar.

No deadline either: learn each chapter and move on to the next. Aim for perfection.

That's it. I am using this month to think things through, as I had intended. I am sorry you are witnesses to my messy thoughts and actions, but that's how things are. It seems to be working though: when you get out of your routine for a bit it helps clear the mind and see a road ahead.
4 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:02 pm

My notes from the introduction.

Memorization of the dialogues. Grammar is to be studied in parallel. Pay attention to patterns. The drills come after memorization. The ultimate goal is to speak accurately, fluently and easily. After completion of the basic course the student should be able to make limited practical use of the language. He will furthermore have the means, given the proper surroundings and personal motivation, for continued rapid and efficient development of proficiency.
0 x

Skynet
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Shona (N)
French (DELF B2)
German (Goethe-Zertifikat B2)
Spanish (DELE B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8686

Postby Skynet » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:09 pm

renaissancemedici wrote:Third lessons done.

They are really getting different now. I feel they are both going down helpful and interesting roads, so I am not ready to give up one yet.

Has anyone else studied two Assimil versions at once? I could use someone else's experience on this.

It seems like a big task, but the lessons are brief so it is still less work than I imagined.

My big problem with German is that I have difficulty remembering words. I have no point of reference apparently, or is it my memory failing me? I don't know. I hope that in time this problem will solve itself, after I know enough to make connections in my head. But so far it's real effort with unclear results: will my efforts work, I don't know.

Hello RM,

I was unaware that you were studying German also, so please pardon my arriving late to party! ;)

renaissancemedici wrote: Has anyone else studied two Assimil versions at once? I could use someone else's experience on this. It seems like a big task, but the lessons are brief so it is still less work than I imagined.
I am currently doing both Assimil New French With Ease and Assimil French Without Toil (and Linguaphone 1950 & 1971 plus many more courses) simultaneously. It takes me 10-12 min to do each lesson and all the exercises. If I did each lesson repeatedly for 30-60 min (as I have read others state), I would simply die from high tedium.

I wrote about it here:

DISCLAIMER: I am re-learning French after not using it for eleven years.

Skynet wrote: When I first started FWOT and NFWE, I was able to do three lessons each per day without breaking a sweat... Now, that has accelerated to eight lessons each per day. This is how I have always used these two courses:
a) Listen to the audio, repeat what is being said and write down what I hear (inc. doing the exercises)
b) Read the text out loud and correct any written errors.
c) Listen to the audio again as I read what I wrote (and corrected).
d) Listen and repeat with the audio (simultaneously).
e) Move on to the next lesson.

Assimil works brilliantly! The more that I understand, the better I become, and the faster I get at plowing through future lessons.

Since I am going through two editions simultaneously, I am of the opinion that whatever I may miss in edition A will be reexplained and cemented in edition B.

Initially, I doubted if the method was working, but then three days later, I found myself singing "Frère Jacques" even though I distinctly remember rolling my eyes and wondering why Assimil had added a child's song to their course. Trust me, IT WORKS!

renaissancemedici wrote: With German I have this feeling I am wiilingly falling down a rabbit hole. With other languages, such as Italian or Turkish for example, all I want is to communicate with people, read well enough etc. Even my beloved French haven't given me scholarly ambitions. But with German I am developping a real desire to learn it in more profound ways. It is certainly a language that demands time and struggle, not easy at all. But very rewarding it seems to me.

Oh, my dear Alice! Welcome to the Mad Hatter's unending tea party!
2 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:18 pm

Thank Skynet. What an interesting plan of languages you have! If you live in Cyprus why don't you take advantage of it and study some Greek (or Turkish?...) right now. Good luck with French, I really think you'll do great because you seem very motivated.

I find the assimil parallel studying a very good idea. I think you are getting excellent results from it. As for me I have decided to start with FSI only, for German. After I finish that I'll see what will come next. I have a problem with too many sources: I never manage to keep things under control because I get greedy and I want to know everything, but instead I learn very few... I choose only FSI this time, so that German doesn't distract me much from my other studies, and in order not to get lost again in different books etc.

How I left things with German was two assimil books, then one, plus a very old book (interesting but time consuming). This time I am focusing on practical results, which means conversation skills with modern Germans. I'll leave poetry for later :D ).

For once I will follow the FSI suggestions on how to proceed: memorize dialogues, study the grammar, then the drills.

I still feel the need to learn German in a more profound way. But let's start from the beginning, shall we? ;)
3 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:10 am

I am off to a slow start with FSI German, as I don't need to rush anything. What I need is to really internalize everything there is in each unit.

So, I have memorized the first unit's dialogues, something not so difficult as I already knew most words. There were some useful unknown words so it was a good and comfortable start. I have already read through the grammar section, but I haven't opened my grammar books yet in order to complement the information. That's my next step. I leave the drills for last. I write down everything to learn spelling, and also because it helps me remember things.

I know it's still early but I like FSI. It has a structure that's comforting, it gives me the feeling of learning useful stuff I will use. I have read reviews about it, mainly about the fact that it may not be the best choice for a beginner without a teacher. On the other hand I have some experience in language learning and our forum so I hope to deal with that successfully. I don't find it boring (yet...). Drills are fine, I am used to endless excercises from my school years. Maybe that's why I even like them...
1 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:37 am

Still lingering on the first chapter but that's normal. I've been busy with things that have been keeping me out of the house from early in the morning till very late at night. I didn't think this summer would be so busy but I like it. It seems that I have to wait for September and my return home to get back to a routine (one more week!). This is really the first time in a couple of days I can have an hour to myself. Which I am using to write here.

It has been a productive summer in most ways though, despite my language learning delays. I have indeed decided what to do next, or at least try to do with my life. How to let go of things that keep dragging me down into the same old mistakes etc. Generally speaking I am ok after many months of hell (I am not being dramatic...). C'est la vie, bien sûr.

I have a feeling about German, that it will be a very big love affair.
2 x

Skynet
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Shona (N)
French (DELF B2)
German (Goethe-Zertifikat B2)
Spanish (DELE B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8686

Postby Skynet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:53 am

renaissancemedici wrote:Thank Skynet. What an interesting plan of languages you have! If you live in Cyprus why don't you take advantage of it and study some Greek (or Turkish?...) right now. Good luck with French, I really think you'll do great because you seem very motivated.

I find the assimil parallel studying a very good idea. I think you are getting excellent results from it. As for me I have decided to start with FSI only, for German. After I finish that I'll see what will come next. I have a problem with too many sources: I never manage to keep things under control because I get greedy and I want to know everything, but instead I learn very few... I choose only FSI this time, so that German doesn't distract me much from my other studies, and in order not to get lost again in different books etc.

How I left things with German was two assimil books, then one, plus a very old book (interesting but time consuming). This time I am focusing on practical results, which means conversation skills with modern Germans. I'll leave poetry for later :D ).

For once I will follow the FSI suggestions on how to proceed: memorize dialogues, study the grammar, then the drills.

I still feel the need to learn German in a more profound way. But let's start from the beginning, shall we? ;)

Apologies for the late reply, I have been preparing my plans for complete world domination after I finished my first phase of French. Blowing through 28 courses in 6 weeks was not a joke (but absolutely possible!)

To be candid, I have absolutely NO plans to master Turkish! I do, however; have plans to learn Koine and Classical (Attic) Greek at some point in the future. French and German are of paramount importance at the moment as my academic future depends on them 8-)

I had planned to start on German after my DELF B2 Pro, but I am embarking on German immediately since I a) survived COURSE-NADO, b) realised that I have the determination and self-discipline to do so and most importantly, c) I really enjoy learning languages!

I love your determination with FSI German! I could not stand the French version (except for Phonology) and left it (FSI) for dead. I found it to be remarkably insipid.

renaissancemedici wrote:I still feel the need to learn German in a more profound way. But let's start from the beginning, shall we? ;)
To quote a famous 1983 movie, War Games, "Shall we play a game?"

I am going to use an Assimil double-edition-combo of German Without Toil (1965) and German With Ease (2001) for my German.

Is C1 German by Fall 2020 possible? I don't know, but I am going to make it possible! 8-)
Last edited by Skynet on Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:23 am

Skynet, I wish you the best with your world domination plans. I can tell you'll be very successful in everything you try. I am very happy you have joined us!

As for me I am finally home. My results for August are:

-No French studies (but that's ok). I spoke a lot of French though, daily and with success. It is enough for me right now.

-Starting over with German, something that feels right. I am content and very motivated.

-A great tan. I'll continue swimming during the weekends anyway.

-Some serious thinking about important things resulting in decisions and plans that are realistic and possible. I was able to charge my batteries and see things more calmly.

When we return home at fall, we say : have a nice winter. It'll be warm untill November, but have a nice winter nevertheless. (It's a joke we have...).
1 x

Return to “Language logs”