Lawyer&Mom, Less is More (French & German)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Re: Lawyer&Mom, Less is More (French & German)

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:30 am

Language learning has basically fallen to the wayside. Husband and I are supposed to be working full time at home, while simultaneously homeschooling our kids... It’s exhausting. At night I’m binging a lot of happy, wholesome, mindless television in English. So basically not what I usually go for at all. (That said, Hart of Dixie was delightful!) And recommendations of shows with happy people doing happy things, without any peril or suspense at all gladly accepted!
8 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Fri May 22, 2020 8:55 pm

“Language learning” remains suspended, but I dipped my toe back into “language enjoying” by having a mini-Yiddish binge on Netflix. (I’ve never studied Yiddish, but it’s fun to watch Germanic language content to see how much I can follow (with English subs, of course.) I’ve done the same with various Scandinavian languages.) I started with Unorthodox, which I have mixed feelings about. Lots of Yiddish, mostly spoken by actors who don’t actually speak the language. Similar to Shtisel in that regard, except Shtisel is just a much better show. Turns out my Yiddish comprehension is pretty good when the actors speak as slowly and simply as non-natives always do. Next I watched Menashe, which I highly recommend. Filmed entirely in Borough Park, Brooklyn with all native Yiddish speakers, and a sweet, gentle story. My comprehension was lower, but that made it more fun.
8 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue May 26, 2020 7:55 pm

Finished Deutschland ‘86. So much fun. The season starts out in Africa, which was interesting, but ended up back in Europe, which is where the show is at its best. I personally love the bickering bureaucrats in boardrooms scenes. It’s great that the show makes fun of everyone: East Germans, West Germans, Americans, the French... But also gives everyone real human dimensions. Without giving anything away, there is a cross-cultural moment that was truly unexpected and sublime... Strong recommend, especially if you actually lived any part of the eighties!
8 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Jimjam
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese N4, German B1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

Postby Jimjam » Wed May 27, 2020 2:02 am

Lawyer&Mom wrote: And recommendations of shows with happy people doing happy things, without any peril or suspense at all gladly accepted!

If you're still looking for recommendations, I find the new Queer Eye series on netflix to be one to always make me happy. It is extremely wholesome and feel-good. Most episodes do have people who have emotional struggles or difficulties but seeing the pay-off at the end of the episode when they're overwhelmed with happiness always makes it worth it. I've cried watching about 90% of the episodes but it's almost always happy crying.

I also recommend a movie recently released on netflix called "The half of it". It's meant to be a young adult LGBT+ coming of age story but it was such a sweet, wholesome movie which was also surprisingly funny.

I have never commented on your log but have been enjoying reading it since the start. Hope you are doing well during this time!
5 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Wed May 27, 2020 4:28 am

Re nice programmes.

For French I like Louis la Braconte. Bad Eggs appear in the storylines just to provide Louis with someone who needs his help. He then gets everyone else to help them too.

It also has a Citroen H van, and some nice scenery! :-)
5 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Thu May 28, 2020 4:07 pm

I’m always looking for new series! Watching TV is basically my only hobby at the moment, and I always need more ideas!

Good news! Deutschland 89 has finished filming and is in post-production! Yay!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutschland_89

Disappointed to hear that a third season of Shtisel was due to begin filming, but was halted by the pandemic. Such a good show.
2 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Thu May 28, 2020 6:06 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:Disappointed to hear that a third season of Shtisel was due to begin filming, but was halted by the pandemic. Such a good show.
That's too bad, I really enjoyed the first two seasons and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of Yiddish they put in.
1 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:59 pm

I miss my language hobby. I tried reading a French book. Nope, still don’t have the attention span for that. But I think I can click things, and I love the soothing repetition of learning at the A1 level. So I’ve resurrected my Irish Memrise course from way back. It’s based off of Buntus Cainte, and I allegedly know almost 300 words! (Not hardly, but it’s fun nevertheless.)

They now let you skip the typing questions which is delightful, but I do try to do them when I feel up to it. The user interface is very pretty now. It’s a shame their own language courses were always underwhelming...
5 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:32 pm

So now I’ve jumped into the Duolingo Irish course. I’d previously heard bad things, but there aren’t many accessible Irish resources so I figured it was worth a try. I love it. But wow, I really feel for the casual language learner who decides to dabble in Irish... If this wasn’t my fifth or six Indo-European language.... If I didn’t know VSO was a thing... If I hadn’t forked out for Duolingo Pro... The course is opaque enough you really need to be comfortable trying things out and making mistakes. It’s a great way to learn, except when you are constrained by the inane heart system. (I hadn’t touched Duolingo in awhile and my goodness that was a nasty surprise!)
6 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:03 pm

So today i have a 90 day Duolingo streak. Irish and I parted ways about a week ago. It was amicable, no shame in a nice three month language dalliance. I’ve unexpectedly jumped into Duolingo German. Man, we give Duolingo a hard time, and deservedly so, but it is *great* for revising a language you already know. I’m racing through the German tree, not go for five crowns on each level like I had with Irish. Two crowns for the grammar I really need to practice, just one crown for the themey vocabulary. (I know more than enough German occupations and vegetables, thank you.).
7 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Return to “Language logs”