Lawyer&Mom, Less is More (French & German)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Lawyer&Mom, Less is More (French & German)

Postby aokoye » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Congrats on getting your oldest off to kindergarten! I'm not a parent, but from everything I've heard from my friends who are I essentially associate it with stress. My best friend's daughter just started kindergarten last month as well and this week will mark the first week that I start picking her up every third Friday (now that I'm on multiple lists with the school's office). Her daughter goes to a French immersion charter school and she and her brother (who is 3) are all about reading. I've already quizzed the older on what French books they already have so I can figure out what not to buy ;) (Their moms are very pleased that I'm willing to buy French books to read to them).
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:41 pm

I’ve been slacking on languages, but I’m very caught up on my English TV comedies. Derry Girls! Fleabag! Crazy Ex-Girlfriend! Schitts Creek! The next thing on my list is The Crown, which I will watch in French. Back on the French bandwagon!

I finally figured out how to use the list feature on Twitter, and made myself French and German feeds to follow. Any recommendations for excellent French or German tweeters are welcome!
2 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:37 am

Are you any further with Fait pas ci, Fait pas ça, and would you recommend it? I'd have to buy DVDs by the looks of things so am wondering whether to commit. It does look to be the kind of lighthearted relief I like for my watching!
0 x

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:13 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:I’ve been slacking on languages, but I’m very caught up on my English TV comedies. Derry Girls! Fleabag! Crazy Ex-Girlfriend! Schitts Creek! The next thing on my list is The Crown, which I will watch in French. Back on the French bandwagon!

I finally figured out how to use the list feature on Twitter, and made myself French and German feeds to follow. Any recommendations for excellent French or German tweeters are welcome!

Fleabag is brilliant. I'm glad to see that there's other fans out there.
1 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:37 pm

Caromarlyse wrote:Are you any further with Fait pas ci, Fait pas ça, and would you recommend it? I'd have to buy DVDs by the looks of things so am wondering whether to commit. It does look to be the kind of lighthearted relief I like for my watching!

I’ve been watching full episodes on YouTube. I haven’t gotten far, but it seems really excellent.
1 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:49 pm

I once dreamed of teaching my kids both German and French... And now that I actually have kids, this doesn’t seem very practical. The oldest has started German Saturday School, and it is lovely, but I’m starting to realize how much we will need to do outside of the classroom to really get anywhere with German. (So many of the kids already speak German at home. Lots of German engineers in our area. Which is great!) We only have so much time together each day, and they only have so much interest in languages. We have to let French go for now. (Maybe High School? If they don’t pick a different language entirely?) So this weekend I schlepped 175 French children’s books to Goodwill. Someone else needs these books *right now.* I kept 25 of my absolute favorites, just because. This would be more than enough to get to a nice A1 someday. Plus I just like French kids books. They don’t ever have to be used. A little bittersweet, but more room on the shelves!
8 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:08 am

Halfway though a really charming Norwegian series on Netflix, Hjem til jul. Singleton has just 24 days to find a boyfriend to bring home for Christmas. Very well done so far. I love that I can mostly follow the Norwegian with the English subtitles on. I know that’s not a huge achievement, but it’s still fun. My semester of Norwegian wasn’t totally useless! I don’t really have any more ambitious goals with Norwegian, but will gladly enjoy any good Scandinavian content that comes my way.
2 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

katsu
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (C1~C2), French (A2~B1), have dabbled in Latin and Ancient Greek.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11744

Postby katsu » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:14 am

Lawyer&Mom wrote:Halfway though a really charming Norwegian series on Netflix, Hjem til jul.

I loved this too. "Charming" is definitely the right word. I'm amazed you can follow it with only a semester of Norwegian!
0 x
French double SC movies: 222 / 200
French double SC books: 200 / 200

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:25 pm

katsu wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:Halfway though a really charming Norwegian series on Netflix, Hjem til jul.

I loved this too. "Charming" is definitely the right word. I'm amazed you can follow it with only a semester of Norwegian!

A semester of Norwegian *after* a German degree. (And with English subtitles!!!) I’ve got a lot of “Germanic” under my belt! Plus they seem to be speaking very clear standard Norwegian, at least compared to Okkupert, or any random TV I’ve tried to watch on NRK.
0 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:12 pm

I think Norwegian TV is a really good way to expose yourself to various accents/dialects.

(Based on the trailers for the two series you've mentioned, I heard at least three in each: the first had mostly Eastern, some Southern/Western and Northern, plus the Danish actress Ghita Nørby; the second mostly Northern, some Southern/Western and Eastern.)
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language logs”