Lawyer&Mom, Less is More (French & German)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Re: Lawyer&Mom, Less is More (French & German)

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:25 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:Working my way through random French movies on Netflix. Watched “Blind Date.” Neighbors start a relationship, sight unseen, by having conversations through their shared wall. Not terribly realistic, but the leads have great chemistry and the spoken French is very clear. Spotted Stefan Godin from The Bureau, Phillipe Duquesne from Candice Renoir, and Oscar Copp from The Bureau *and* Candice Renoir! (Clearly there are only 300 people in France, and they have to recycle.) In the middle of The Climb, a comedy about a black youth from the banlieue who decides to climb Mount Everest to impress a girl. Who shows up? Oscar Copp, of course.
I've been watching Candice Renoir since you mentioned it the other day. The programme's wikipedia page mentioned winning a TV prize "Festival_Polar_de_Cognac: meilleure série francophone de télévision", other winners are: Boulevard du Palais, Section de Recherches, Cherif, Capitaine Marleau.

I have my eye on several policiers that look promising, but I’m trying to pace myself. I tend to go into mega-binge mode when a new box of DVDs arrives. Much healthier to watch mediocre movies on Netflix.
5 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:46 pm

The Climb is a pretty standard underdog story, but the cast is charming, and they actually filmed on location in Nepal for most of the film. Definitely interesting to see the real Everest base camp for example. Netflix had French Audio Description which added about 200% more French. I love Audio Description!
7 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:49 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:The Climb is a pretty standard underdog story, but the cast is charming, and they actually filmed on location in Nepal for most of the film. Definitely interesting to see the real Everest base camp for example. Netflix had French Audio Description which added about 200% more French. I love Audio Description!

Me too. For the blind. I did that with Lord of the Rings and especially for movies that are more visual than dialogue based, the audio description makes it all the more beautiful.
4 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:02 pm

Audio description definitely has unintended benefits for us language learners.

Also, it's thanks to audio description that I realised the weird swooping lines on the Tatort opening credits are actually a fingerprint...
6 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:30 pm

luke wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:The Climb is a pretty standard underdog story, but the cast is charming, and they actually filmed on location in Nepal for most of the film. Definitely interesting to see the real Everest base camp for example. Netflix had French Audio Description which added about 200% more French. I love Audio Description!

Me too. For the blind. I did that with Lord of the Rings and especially for movies that are more visual than dialogue based, the audio description makes it all the more beautiful.

There are certain moody scandi-noir shows that feature lots of drone footage of wind blowing through the trees and closeups of rusting industrial equipment that can only be salvaged by Audio Description. And I like moody scandi-noir shows! They just don’t talk enough!
6 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:31 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:There are certain moody scandi-noir shows that feature lots of drone footage of wind blowing through the trees and closeups of rusting industrial equipment that can only be salvaged by Audio Description. And I like moody scandi-noir shows! They just don’t talk enough!

It reminded me of this clip:
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:48 pm

Nothing to Hide on Netflix: Finally! Urban grownups at a dinner party talking quickly about urbane grownup things! This is what I want in a mediocre French movie! The story is simple. Several couples decide to play a game over dinner, they will share everything that arrives on their phones with each other. Over the course of the evening secrets are revealed! Will their friendships ever be the same?!?

This is actually a remake of an Italian film, Perfect Strangers, from 2016 which has already been remade a whopping 18 times in 18 different languages. It’s easy to see why. All you need is 7 actors, 7 cell phones, an apartment and a bourgeois class to lampoon. Not hard to find!

As a language learner I liked being able to follow the movie more than I liked the movie itself. I couldn’t help but think how boring it would be if we remade the film at my house. Our cell phones are *not* filled with mystery. “Look my quarterback scored a touchdown! Maybe I’ll win the fantasy league this week!” “Ooh! Another WhatsApp about the 2nd grade field trip.” “Grandma wants to FaceTime again?!?” We haven’t had a dinner party in forever, maybe our friends have far more exciting phones to share…
13 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:03 pm

10 jours de or, on Netflix: Franck Dubosc plays a world-weary smooth talking salesman (think George Clooney in Up in the Air) who ends up on a road trip across France with an adorable six year old boy. Will their lives be changed forever?!? Franck Dubosc is apparently known for his exaggerated comedic persona, so this is approximately like Adam Sandler taking on a straight dramatic role. And he’s good! The first act of the film shows real potential, and when the story is willing to go dark, it soars. Unfortunately by the third act, the mood is more heartwarming and feel-good and doesn’t really work. No regrets, I enjoyed the better bits and the road trip scenery.
5 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:26 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:Nothing to Hide on Netflix: Finally! Urban grownups at a dinner party talking quickly about urbane grownup things! This is what I want in a mediocre French movie! The story is simple. Several couples decide to play a game over dinner, they will share everything that arrives on their phones with each other. Over the course of the evening secrets are revealed! Will their friendships ever be the same?!?

This is actually a remake of an Italian film, Perfect Strangers, from 2016 which has already been remade a whopping 18 times in 18 different languages. It’s easy to see why. All you need is 7 actors, 7 cell phones, an apartment and a bourgeois class to lampoon. Not hard to find!

As I was reading your post I was thinking I had already seen this film in at least two other languages! Maybe you'll also like Un air de famille, which is pretty much just two hours of family drama in a restaurant. I've enjoyed Klapisch's other films but that one was a bit too much for me!
1 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:40 am

OMG! Max from Candice Renoir, Benjamin Baroche, just showed up in tonight’s episode of L’art du crime as Hieronymus Bosch!!! Ha! L’art du crime has two series regulars who also had small parts on Candice Renoir. The male lead, Nicolas Gob, was once a dock worker interviewed by Candice, and his boss, Benjamin Egner, played a memorable potential romantic interest when Candice was investigating a crime in the north… I swear watching 9 seasons of a police procedural before watching a bunch more police procedurals was such a great idea. I’m constantly spotting old friends in nearly every new episode. Thank god for IMDb!

L’art du crime isn’t a great show, but I’m never not going to want to watch attractive people investigate art crime in the Louvre! Shame the attractive people don’t have much chemistry with each other, but Paris is still gorgeous.

Likewise the “Meurtres à...” series has been great fun for virtual French travel. Each stand alone episode is set in a different provincial city, and inevitably highlights local attractions. The cast is always “known” French actors, but the directors are young unknowns, so the episodes can be somewhat unexpected and fresh. Or not! Either way, France is still gorgeous.
7 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Return to “Language logs”