Morgana's Swedish log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Morgana
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n); sv (int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9665

Re: Morgana's Swedish log

Postby Morgana » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:32 am

End-of-day November 9 to end-of-day November 15 (6 days): +13 hours, 44 minutes
Average per day: 2 hours, 17 minutes
New total hours: 814 hours, 35 minutes

Än sen då.
3 x

Morgana
Blue Belt

Postby Morgana » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Edit: I had something here originally but maybe it ruined the joke. (If there was a joke. I'm really amused by ironic signatures.)

Sarafina mentioned Atomic Habits in her log, which I've now looked up for myself and might grab, along with Barry Farber's book.

I made the post I did yesterday because, as I kept trying to write and re-write something publishable, all I ended up doing was complaining. A day later and some more logs read, here's what I'm able to formulate:

1) I'm feeling averse to tracking, and am getting burned out on future thinking.
2) Repeatedly cycling back around to disappointment over whatever my current status in the language is is also becoming rather boring (and soul-crushing).

More on #1: My time goal (1000 hours) was meant to help me focus on Swedish and put off getting lost on more wanderlust. Alternatively, it was intended to reduce some insecurity about introducing a very related language (Danish). But I'm resenting studying now. So I think the time goal is at a cross purpose at this point. As regards when to add Danish... I don't know. My conviction about eventually adding it wavered this week, but then strengthened again while also picking up Norwegian in the process. Why I can sometimes feel so enthusiastic about more languages when #2 above is also true is completely irrational.

It makes perfect sense that more languages = more disappointment, if there is going to be disappointment. If only humans were 100% logic machines. Of course if humans were 100% logic machines the whole world would be dramatically different. Someone write that for their NaNoWriMo. Maybe I will. Next year of course :lol:

So I do need some kind of accountability system or whatever if tracking is going to be abandoned. I've been thinking of tracking, not tracking, tracking vs. not tracking for weeks and I can't come up with any benefits to tracking that don't also bring consequences, in my case. Not tracking also has its pitfalls, I have firsthand experience of what 5 months of not tracking looks like: slacking. A lot of slacking. So I do need something to keep me focused. Perhaps there will be ideas to be found in the books mentioned above, in the Seinfeld calendar, in other places I haven't even looked yet.

Will I abandon the 1000 hours target? I don't know.

About #2: I have a feeling the disappointment is more about me and my attitude and less about the objective state of my skill level at the moment. I'm watching more tv series in Swedish and, at least according to what I've read around here, tv and films are the hardest to listen to. I concur. My audiobook is going fine. Sure, I've read the book before. What I can remember from listening to radio and podcasts, when I had a much smaller vocabulary and much less reading done, they didn't seem terribly daunting either. Even with all the opaque vocabulary. So, I'm confident this isn't an issue of my ability to hear the sounds in the language or that I'm deaf or something. Perhaps I just need to watch a few hundred more hours of television before this, too, becomes more comprehensible.

It's probably just a mismatch between expectation and reality.

Apart from that, things are pretty good. I forgot about chorusing all week (the learningswedish.se course). I do intend to return to it but perhaps in a more limited way, since my interest fades quite quickly. I have only added 7 new cards to Anki all week; mostly I just haven't cared for adding new ones much. I gave a little more consideration to using the Kelly list I mentioned last week, and decided against mining vocab out of there because it'd all be out of context and I don't do so well with that method.

I finished Harry Potter och de vises sten, and have already started Harry Potter och Hemligheternas kammare. I'm becoming more disinterested with reading the news, but I don't want to lose the variety in vocabulary. I should probably think of other things I'd like to read about that would replace the news but be more interesting.

I've been watching season 1 of Springfloden. There's a lot available to watch. I still have about 90 minutes of the Odinsbarn audiobook to finish. I keep intending to check out a podcast here and there but never get around to it. I have big ideas but not a lot of time/energy.
4 x

dicentra8
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Postby dicentra8 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:04 pm

Morgana wrote:I'm becoming more disinterested with reading the news, but I don't want to lose the variety in vocabulary. I should probably think of other things I'd like to read about that would replace the news but be more interesting.

Maybe you could try articles or magazine columns about a certain topic? I prefer those when I'm searching for vocabulary, and somehow they feel more close to a person showing or talking about opinions/thoughts on that matter. But I look for them in a slightly different way, using the google images search (instead of the standard search for websites). At first I was using when I couldn't understand a word that well and wanted to see more images. Then I noticed that most of those articles/columns tend to always use a nice picture and maybe that's why it's easier to find them when I use google images. What I do is:

1) put 2~3 words (in the TL) in google images about something I want to read about and hit search
2) notice the website links that are attached to a image (they can be from news websites, a blog, a magazine, etc); make sure they're from the TL country, and check the website
3 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

Morgana
Blue Belt

Postby Morgana » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:41 am

dicentra8 wrote:Maybe you could try articles or magazine columns about a certain topic? I prefer those when I'm searching for vocabulary, and somehow they feel more close to a person showing or talking about opinions/thoughts on that matter. But I look for them in a slightly different way, using the google images search (instead of the standard search for websites). At first I was using when I couldn't understand a word that well and wanted to see more images. Then I noticed that most of those articles/columns tend to always use a nice picture and maybe that's why it's easier to find them when I use google images. What I do is:

1) put 2~3 words (in the TL) in google images about something I want to read about and hit search
2) notice the website links that are attached to a image (they can be from news websites, a blog, a magazine, etc); make sure they're from the TL country, and check the website
Thanks for this idea, dicentra8! I never thought to use image search for something like this.

Not much to update on. I am enjoying not tracking. I had some considering to do this week given that I stopped tracking, as in do I add Danish already. It was fruitful thinking. I am not adding Danish. I get confused about what my motivations are and what I want out of all this, and more languages aren't it. There's a lot of more, more, more around here and I have to remind myself that's not what I'm after.
0 x

Morgana
Blue Belt

Postby Morgana » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:22 am

November is almost done and good riddance! My studying has been too sporadic to justify updating but I'm going to do it anyway :P

I did finish a couple things in Swedish:
- Odinsbarn audiobook. Let's pretend it didn't take me 7-8 months to do it. I'm going to change the title of my log to "Morgana's learn at a snail's pace log" /s
- Rivstart A1+A2. Ok, another underwhelming achievement :P I had no intention of returning to this after completing 19 of 20 chapters back in the spring, but I was bored.

The time of year plus my learning Swedish anniversary coming up means I've been thinking over where I'm going with this language learning thing.

Some important points that came out of it:
1. I didn't start learning Swedish (my first independently-taught L2) because I had a burning passion for languages or for Swedish/Sweden. It just happened.
2. The beginner and lower intermediate stages suuuuuuck.
3. The prospect of listening to several hundred hours of incomprehensible tv shows just to maybe eventually be able to kind of sort of understand sometimes depending on the subject absolutely repels me, and as long as I hold onto that sentiment, the wanderlust dies off hard.
4. Earlier in the month, I dropped Icelandic. I thought it was "the one" but after giving it a go for eight months, turns out it's not. There is a key to decision making that for whatever reason I have not consistently applied to language learning decisions: what is it going to cost me? And once I've answered that, I have to be realistic about whether or not I'm willing to pay that price.

What now? Coast with Swedish for a while, maybe. I'm going to do my best to avoid making any decisions just now about direction to take or whether to add anything else.

Edits: phrasing, then spelling, then spelling again :roll:
Last edited by Morgana on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
2 x

dicentra8
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Postby dicentra8 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:03 am

Morgana wrote:I'm going to change the title of my log to "Morgana's learn at a snail's pace log"

Maybe I should do the same. These last weeks (maybe a month) have been unusually crappy. :| Hopefully things will get better and clearer soon.
Morgana wrote:I'm going to do my best to avoid making any decisions just now about direction to take or whether to add anything else.

I sometimes tend to do drastic decisions, maybe when I should stay quiet and calm, so I think that's a good thing to do for the time being. Hope things will become better with your language learning! :)
2 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

Return to “Language logs”