Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Re: Morgana's Swedish & Icelandic log

Postby Neurotip » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:16 am

Morgana wrote:Also iirc you've kind of sort of done Icelandic without a course? You did Alaric's course but apart from that you've been bravely forging your own path.

Hmmm, I'd say lazily rather than bravely - otherwise correct!
0 x
Corrections welcome here

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Since I've written many times how I learn (have learned) English words there's no point in repeating it again. Besides it is pretty close to what zjones wrote. But if you are interested in how big one's vocab might be without SRS and the like, you can test your English vocabulary http://testyourvocab.com/ and compare your score to mine - usually my score is 21.000 or so :) .
0 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:13 am

Morgana wrote:But I've noticed in Swedish with the verb hända, when something happens to someone, they don't have a preposition between verb and object. (Correct me if I've got that wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what I've been noticing in my reading.)

Some real-world usage examples :) (this is more about the language and less about the example's specific content):

"Nej, det är nåt annat än det som hände mig."

"Tänk om det som hände mamma, händer mig?"

"Om det inte hade hänt mig, hade det säkert hänt nån annan."

But also:

"Vad som händer med dig det händer med mig"

"Jag måste veta vad som hände med den här mannen, och jag måste veta vad som hände med honom nu!"
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:14 am

Morgana wrote:Your second set of "real-world usage examples" from Glosbe are a different context than the first set. The context I was discussing in my original post ("...with the verb hända, when something happens to someone, they don't have a preposition between verb and object") related to the first set of examples. The second set of examples are explained by Svenska Akademiens Ordbok:
i förb. med bestämning inledd av prep. med, förr äv. (up)på.
In any case I did confirm for myself that I had it right re: lacking the preposition before the object with this specific verb.

If there was something in your original post restricting the context to the first type of usage only (i.e. the first set of examples), then I wasn't aware of it, that's all.

SGP wrote:Some real-world usage examples :) (this is more about the language and less about the example's specific content):

And as for that phrase, it was simply meant as something making it clear that I didn't write those examples myself (because then, they would be more of "made-up examples" or however one could call them. :) )
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:29 am

By ‘done’, you are no longer learning the language?
0 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Re: Morgana's Swedish log

Postby koolawant » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:49 am

Nothing wrong with dropping Icelandic, and nothing wrong with having a bit of wanderlust. I somethings think about dabbling in another language before taking one quick look at my Japanese and being like nooooope.

So close to the 1000 hours! Final stretch, you got this.
0 x
: 6343 / 50000 50,000 pages read / Japanese

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:54 am

Morgana wrote:As for reading, just svt.se and Harry Potter, as well as a terms of service!!! That's right! I read a whole terms of service in Swedish with maybe two handfuls of dictionary look-ups. Comprehension was not 100%, but it was high enough that I understood the document. There's vocab and then there's just being used to form and structure, and the latter gets you quite far.

Kudos on that terms of service! I recently read with enjoyment the warnings from Ikea in Polish and Italian about not handling a piece of glass in certain ways to avoid breaking it...but that was only like 1 or 2 paragraphs.

Morgana wrote:However, I've passed the 800-hour mark which mentally feels significantly closer to my target than being in the high 700s all week did. 1,000 hours feels tangible now.

When did you start Swedish?

What sort of things in Swedish feel easy for you now that felt really difficult at the beginning?
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Morgana wrote:Icelandic is done. I thought it was feeling dull and boring because I wasn't putting in the time, but it was the other way around.

Good on you - knowing your own priorities and acting on them is a Good Thing. I'll send you a postcard if I ever get to base camp, and I'll certainly keep reading your log for inspiration (and because Swedish is awesome) :D
1 x
Corrections welcome here

dicentra8
Orange Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Postby dicentra8 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:04 pm

Morgana wrote:I'm becoming more disinterested with reading the news, but I don't want to lose the variety in vocabulary. I should probably think of other things I'd like to read about that would replace the news but be more interesting.

Maybe you could try articles or magazine columns about a certain topic? I prefer those when I'm searching for vocabulary, and somehow they feel more close to a person showing or talking about opinions/thoughts on that matter. But I look for them in a slightly different way, using the google images search (instead of the standard search for websites). At first I was using when I couldn't understand a word that well and wanted to see more images. Then I noticed that most of those articles/columns tend to always use a nice picture and maybe that's why it's easier to find them when I use google images. What I do is:

1) put 2~3 words (in the TL) in google images about something I want to read about and hit search
2) notice the website links that are attached to a image (they can be from news websites, a blog, a magazine, etc); make sure they're from the TL country, and check the website
2 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

dicentra8
Orange Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Postby dicentra8 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:03 am

Morgana wrote:I'm going to change the title of my log to "Morgana's learn at a snail's pace log"

Maybe I should do the same. These last weeks (maybe a month) have been unusually crappy. :| Hopefully things will get better and clearer soon.
Morgana wrote:I'm going to do my best to avoid making any decisions just now about direction to take or whether to add anything else.

I sometimes tend to do drastic decisions, maybe when I should stay quiet and calm, so I think that's a good thing to do for the time being. Hope things will become better with your language learning! :)
1 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

Return to “Language logs”