Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: Morgana's log

Postby eido » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:32 pm

Morgana wrote:I'm not even sure how to take this but I laughed regardless :lol:

I didn't mean it to offend you. It just sounded similar because of the words you used. I know I feel like 'a piece of garbage' when I have wanderlust, so maybe it might relate that way too. I don't know, though. Just don't eat me.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:49 am

Morgana wrote:
If you mean that "O" in Swedish can make one of 4 sounds, I agree it is more complicated. And if that's not what you meant, is it brief to explain what you did mean? (If it's not brief, don't feel obligated to explain.)

If I remember correctly, the correspondence is the simplest between Ö and /øː/ and /œ/ --- Ö is pronounced either /øː/ or /œ/ and nothing else, while /øː/ and /œ/ are only ever spelt with Ö. While it's more complicated both ways with O, /o:/ and /ɔ/. (I might have remembered incorrectly but anyway that's what I meant by the latter being more complicated).
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:40 am

Morgana wrote:I’m so relieved this is what you meant, I was worried maybe there was something even worse I missed :lol:

You've made me want to revise Swedish pronunciation. Let's see if I find anything even worse... ;) :?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:14 am

I've been having a similar problem, and I am trying to get back to my former interested and motivated self (about the things I used to like and lost interest). I'm not sure how to do it properly yet, but I reached the conclusion that it is merely life that changes us. We don't have to stay where we used to be, and it is ok to change direction, interests etc. It could also be a mild depression, early mid life crisis, sloth, being tired of things, whatever (not talking about you, just in general). There could be many reasons, so in order to find the solution we should identify the cause. In my case it's a combination of all of the above, but I keep in mind that it is my life and if I want different things than before it's fine 8-) I do have negative feelings thinking that it's like giving up, wasting all my past efforts, but in the end nothing is wasted. Experiences are all with us.
I hope I don't speak out of place, I am just sharing my small experience on the matter.
1 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:47 pm

Morgana wrote:
Lars vill inte åka bort på semestern, utan han vill stanna hemma.

I would never say this like this in English. If it had said, "Lars doesn't want to go on vacation, ____ his family is dragging him along," then utan would be the clear choice. But, "Lars doesn't want to go on vacation, ____ he wants to stay home," I just want to make it into two sentences, or use "because," though that's a little awkward too. *shrug*

i agree that in English, no conjunction is the best option in that sentence. But if you need a word to attach the meaning to, maybe you could think of it as meaning "rather"?
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:57 am

Why are you studying Swedish? Seems like you've forgotten. What benefits of Swedish will make your life better? I know you're probably just having a moment but.. if Swedish can't do anything to make your life better and you're not enjoying the process, you should definitely quit.

Or maybe it's all just Anki and the fear you won't learn if you quit?
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:26 am

Piggybacking on @Ani's post, if Swedish can't do anything for you, what language could? What language just sounds so intoxicating and magical that you can't avoid it? What sounds good in your mouth - natural? What can you picture speaking? What country, when you imagine going there, makes you jump for joy?
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:18 am

Morgana wrote:I'm rather disillusioned with language study. I'm seemingly not able to reconcile how much work I feel I've put in over the last 20ish months since starting Swedish and what my actual level is. I'm not able to convince myself that the cost over all that time has been worth whatever result I've achieved. I am unable to see any benefits. For the record:
benefit != improving at TL
benefit = life better somehow

Have you travelled to Sweden, and if so, could you make use of the language there?
Have you tried to find Swedes, wherever you live? Have you gotten information through Swedish that was not available to you otherwise?

Could social interaction be something? (I think I remember it wasn't really yours, was it?)
At least for me that has always been something that actually made a noteable difference, even when it just meant I met other learners. In case of Finnish I've gotten quite a lot that would not have happend without learning the language.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:12 am

For what it's worth, I'm contemplating dropping my *useful* Spanish and French and learning something off-beat, like maybe Scottish Gaelic and Finnish. Why? They just interest me more. If I'm doing this for fun, I might as well pick languages that are fun to me. ;)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:36 am

Morgana wrote: I just want to listen, and I just want to read.

These were exactly my thoughts when I started studying English. And actually writing always was the last thing on my list. I started writing in English by accident, if I may call it that :roll: . But I think it wouldn't happen if I wasn't ready for that. I had been studying English for more than 4 years by then.
So my point is that if you don't feel the need (or like) to speak or write in a language right now you don't have to do it, and at the same it's never late to start. It took me about a year and a half to bring my writing up to the level it is right now. Not impressive but I dare to think that under the circumstances it's not too bad either :) And I do believe that if language-learning is not a necessity but a hobby there's no point turning it into kind of a chore.
6 x

Return to “Language logs”