Yossarian's Spanish Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
yossarian
White Belt
Languages: English (Native) Spanish (C1)

Yossarian's Spanish Log

Postby yossarian » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi everyone, I thought I'd create a log so that in those moments where it feels like no progress is being made I can look back at my entries here and see how far I've come.

A bit about me: I'm a New Zealander who's been living in London since 2016, and who has been learning Spanish since May 2017. I lost focus at the end of the summer, and redoubled my efforts in October. I'm not sure what my current level would be, but definitely no higher than A2 because although I'm ok at reading and writing, I find spoken speech quite hard to understand and my ability to speak is non-existent.

A language learning day normally goes as follows:

I'll drill myself on Anki - which seems to be a lot of verbs at the moment, since I find nouns easier to decipher from the context and I tend to add less of them to my deck.

I'll then watch some TV or read a book. I recently finished Gran Hotel, and I'm now I'm getting through Las Chicas del Cable which I'm enjoying. I've binged watched a lot of it in the pass week and I have noticed an improvement in my listening ability - I can pick out verb endings with more ease than I could a month ago, but I frequently have to track back to watch a scene again with the Spanish subtitles so as to not miss major plot points. I'm focusing on the European accent, but some Argentine characters have turned up recently which has put my listening to the test.

The book I'm reading is called 'El mejor humor inglés', which is a collection of humourous excerpts translated from English many of which I've already read (Jeeves and Wooster etc...). While in Madrid recently I also bought a beautiful copy of Cien Años de Soledad which I'd like to finish before the end of June.

I have a friend from Spain here in London who I meet with a few times a month. We message each other almost exclusively in Spanish, but in person I seem to forget everything I've learned - not to mention being extremely self conscious of my accent in Spanish (and being from New Zealand people already make fun of my accent in English) I can understand her if she asks me question - but if she is telling a story, or explaining something I lose track very quickly.

I have felt frustrated recently because I feel like I know a fair amount of Spanish, but am limited by my ability to speak and listen. It can be particularly discouraging here in Europe where so many people speak multiple languages that one starts to feel a bit useless at not being able to have a conversation after almost a year.

I was thinking of taking some classes at the Instituto Cervantes here in London in the hopes that will improve my conversational skills.
10 x

yossarian
White Belt

Re: Yossarian's Spanish Log

Postby yossarian » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:24 am

This hasn't been a great Spanish week, and more about trying to maintain the gains made last week. I've used Anki everyday, until I'd run out of cards on three of five days. As long as I'm maintaining a streak, I feel that's enough to stop me getting too rusty by the weekend. I also watched two episodes of Las Chicas del Cable.

I realised that I hadn't been reading much lately, mostly because I get frustrated when I can't parse a sentence quickly which is a sign that there must be gaps in my knowledge of grammar. To remedy this I've been making my way through Gramatica de Uso del Espanol Teoria y Practica Niveles A1 - B2. It's reinforcing my existing knowledge, and giving me a lot of insight into things I thought I 'knew' but weren't really sure about - I'm willing to bet this helps with my ability to speak too, since I will have more confidence when building a sentence.

I've considered starting an Assimil course too, but since I'm not starting from scratch I'm not entirely sure which one would be a good entry point for me, I would welcome any feedback about this.

Some other thoughts:

I read an interesting thread on here about listening. One user said that when they watched a show, they would hit an impenetrable wall of dialogue, and get discouraged from continuing with the episode or series, but once they decided to keep watching regardless of how much they initially understood, their comprehension improved greatly. I've found this to be the case with me too, and think I will try to apply this to reading, initially with some of the news papers and shorter texts online, so there is no worry of losing track of any 'plot'.

All for now. Cheers!
2 x

yossarian
White Belt

Postby yossarian » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:27 pm

Hola a todos,

English

A few days after my last post, I was mugged by three guys as I was walking home one night. It was over pretty quickly, and I came out unscathed but they did threaten to stab me, and stole my wallet. Initially they wanted my phone, but took one look at it and gave it back to me (it wasn't good enough apparently!) Idiots, since I immediately used my bank's app to cancel my cards once I was in my front door about fifty metres down the road.

Because the following week was a bit hectic trying to get all my cards back, my reading and flashcard streak was seriously broken, and I've only just been getting back into the swing of things over the last week or so. I did managed to listen to a lot of Spanish music during the last 6 weeks, in particular Juliete Venegas and Natalia Lafourcade. My listening comprehension has improved a great deal (at least when listening to the aforementioned!)

A couple of things I've been pleased about lately:

I managed to parse a few sentences of Spanish I overheard between a Spanish family on the tube, particular difficult for me considering the loud ambient noise of the train. 'Tienes mas mierda en tus zapatos que tu hermano!'

Last time I saw my Spanish friend, I was able to describe what had happened during the mugging and she understood me well enough with only a couple of major corrections. She tends to think I use old-fashioned words, probably because of the dated short stories I've been reading!

Español

Pocos días después de mi mensaje último, me atracaron tres chicos mientras andaba yo a mi casa una noche. Terminó bastante rápido, y no me hicieron daño, pero sí me amenazaron con apuñalarme y robaron mi cartera. Inicialmente quisieron mi móvil pero lo echaron una mirada y me lo devolvieron (no fue bastante bueno al parecer!) Tontos, porque lo usé inmediatamente para cancelar mis tarjetas de banco una vez que estuve en mi casa (cincuenta metros por la calle).

Como la semana siguiente era un poco agitado mientras intentaba recuperar mis tarjetas, mi racha de la lectura y la flashcard se perdió. Acabo de volver a coger el ritmo de las cosas en la semana pasada. Yo sí lograba escuchar mucha música, en especial Julieta Venegas y Natalia Lafourcade, por ello creo que la comprensión mía se ha mejorado (al menos de esas cantantes!).

Dos cosas las que me ha alegrado recientemente:

1) El otro día logré comprender unas pocas frases de español entre una familia en el metro. Especialmente difícil para mi dado el ruido ambiente del tren. 'Tienes mas mierda en tus zapatos que tu hermano!'.

2) La vez última que la he visto a mi amiga, pude describir lo que pasó durante el atraco con sólo unas pocas correcciones. Piensa que uso palabras anticuadas, probablemente debido a las pequeñas historias viejas las que leo.

Gracias por leer!

Yossarian
Last edited by yossarian on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:37 pm

I'm so sorry you got mugged! :o I had heard that there's a lot of crime in London. Good think you had quick thinking and were able to cancel your cards.
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

yossarian
White Belt

Postby yossarian » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:55 pm

Xenops wrote:I'm so sorry you got mugged! :o I had heard that there's a lot of crime in London. Good think you had quick thinking and were able to cancel your cards.

Not much lost except my pride! There's been an increase in knife crime here recently, but I believe that most of it is gang related. I used to walk around with my headphones on listening to podcasts, but definitely don't do that as much now. That it happened so close to my house in fairly nice part of London was surprising to me.
3 x

yossarian
White Belt

Postby yossarian » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:14 pm

Hola a todos,

Hace mucho tiempo que no escribo aquí, pero aún estoy leyendo y aprendiendo español. Pues es el primer día del año, es el mejor tiempo que nunca para empezar de nuevo. Esta vez quiero usar este diario para hacer unas metas por la semana and escribir observaciones sobre el proceso de aprendizaje.

He estado leyendo Bonsai y La vida privada de los árboles, los dos por el autor Chileno Alejandro Zambra. Son un poco extraño y abstractos y por eso me cuesta disfrutarlos mucho pues constantemente me estoy cuestionando la capacidad de lectura. Después de ellos, quiero empezar un libro sobre la historia de España.

Las metas mías por esta semana son:

• Terminar La vida privda de los árboles y hacer tarjetas de estudio de las palabras los que no sepa.
  • Leer diez paginas de La historia de España
  • Hacer una lección con un tutor en iTalki.
2 x

yossarian
White Belt

Postby yossarian » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:24 am

Hola a todos!

Actualmente estoy en Nueva Zelanda, visitando a mis padres por unas semanas. No os imagináis lo bien que me ha ido tomar esta vacación, aunque supone que no tenga días para el resto del año. Me estaba poniendo bastante cansado y hecho molido en Londres!

Lo más bueno de estar aquí (¡claro excepto de pasar el tiempo con la familia!) es tener el tiempo para estudiar más castellano que lo normal. Desde el último mensaje en este hilo, he terminado La Vida Privada de los Árboles, y para ser honesto, diría que incluso si fuera en inglés no lo hubiera entendido por completo! Pero sí era estimulante y estoy contento de haberlo leído.

También he leído casi 70 páginas de La Historia de España y he tenido tal vez 7 o 8 lecciones por iTalki - nada de malo a mi juicio a pesar de que no he escrito aquí a lo largo de los últimos dos meses medio. Estoy disfrutando mucho el libro de historia pues no aprendimos casi nada de España en las escuelas aquí.

Ayer mi madre y yo visitamos a una montaña que se llama Maungatautari y en la que se encuentra una reserva para los aves nativas. Se ha creado por una valla que rodea una zona en el lado de la montaña. Es un lugar muy tranquilo y vimos una de Hihi - un tipo de ave que no es relacionado a ningún otro especie, y que tiene un pío como una maquina de coser, por eso también se llama en ingles un 'stitchbird'. Nueva Zelanda tiene muchos de estas reservas debido a que el país no tenía depredadores mamíferos antes de que la llegada de los humanos. Hoy en día hay ratas, comadrejas y zarigüeyas por todo el país que amenazan la supervivencia de muchos especies que no tienen instinto natural para salvarse de estos.

Mi meta actual es mejorarme mis habilidades del oído. Escuché un montón de podcasts en diciembre y enero, pero ahora me cuesta encontrar materias las que son bastante interesante pero también con un paso bastante despacio para mi. Si tienes ideas escríbelas aquí: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 17&t=10240

Salud!

Yossarian
1 x

yossarian
White Belt

Postby yossarian » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:19 pm

Hola a todos!

Estoy en Londres de nuevo. Disfruté el tiempo en Nueva Zelanda aunque sienta como necesitaba mucho más que tres semanas allá. Desde luego, el fin de la vacación se ensombreció por el atentado in Christchurch, algo que jamás me imaginé pasaría. En retrospectiva tal vez fuera inevitable. En el aeropuerto cuando me iba, soñaron el 'llamado a la oración' para recordar los fallecidos, y tengo que admitir que lloré, no solo por eso sino también por el hecho que no iba a ver a mis padres y al país por un largo.

Londres me está poniendo un poco exasperante en este momento por la muchedumbre, el ruido y el aire sucio, pero a la vez es genial ver de nuevo a mis amigos, a mi novia y a mi hermana.

Un informe sobre mis estudios!

No he leído ningún libro desde que he vuelto pero estoy viendo mucha televisión, en especial That 70s Show doblado en castellano como StringerBell en otro hilo ha sugerido. Estoy disfrutándolo mucho pues los episodios son cortos y es fácil 'binge watch'. La otra prioridad mía es rehacer muchas de mis tarjetas del estudio porque he aprendido en los últimos meses algunas formas más beneficias de escribirlas. Ante todo necesito ponerme al tanto con mis repasos atrasados.

También sigue completando Gramática de uso del Español. Hay cien temas y estoy haciéndolos con un paso de un tema por dos días. Que se completen antes de Navidad!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”