Mick oppii suomea - Mick learns Finnish

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
baskerville
White Belt
Languages: Tagalog (Native), English (C2), Hungarian (B1), Japanese (N2), French (A1), German (A1), Spanish (A1)

Re: Mick's Log: Finnish & Hungarian

Postby baskerville » Thu May 31, 2018 10:04 am

Én is magyarul tanulok. Sok sikert! :)
1 x
Hungarian Tracker
Glossika Fluency 3: 9 / 104
Gyakorló Magyar Nyelvtan : 23 / 110
Duolingo: 51 / 78
Assimil: 7 / 85

German Tracker
Babbel Beginner 1: 11 / 23

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Dutch, Polish, Finnish Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Japanese, Indonesian, Georgian, Russian, Thai etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Re: Mick's Log: Finnish & Hungarian

Postby mick33 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:36 pm

baskerville wrote:Én is magyarul tanulok. Sok sikert! :)
Nagyon köszönöm!
0 x

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Dutch, Polish, Finnish Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Japanese, Indonesian, Georgian, Russian, Thai etc.

Re: Mick's Log: Mostly Finnish and Polish this time

Postby mick33 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:52 am

Cześć! I've been continuing with Finnish, though it still doesn't seem like I'm making a lot of progress yet. Well....maybe I am :?., I understand a few more random words when I listen to spoken Finnish though these are usually basic words like "koska", "että" "vain" and "hetken". In English these words would be because, that, only and moment. Sometimes I wonder how long it will be before I understand complete sentences, but I already know that listening comprehension takes a while and I just need to stop worrying, keep listening and be patient.

Why am I worried about understanding spoken Finnish anyway :P :lol: ? After all, I would be thrilled if I could understand spoken Polish other than simple greetings and a few recognizable words that are similar to words in other Indo-European languages spoken in Europe. I've been watching Krzysztof Gonciarz's daily vlogs though I'm almost totally lost without the subtitles, which are usually available in both English and Polish 8-)!

Dobranoc
Mick
1 x

mick33
Orange Belt

Re: Mick's Log: Finnish & Polish

Postby mick33 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:10 am

Dobry wieczór! I've been busy visiting relatives since my last post, and I don't have much to write here, except to announce that I'm now learning Finnish and Polish. For Finnish I decided to learn more colloquial language, especially greetings because I read some blog post that began by using "moikka!" as a greeting :? when I thought that it meant "bye". I've also been learning more verbs, starting with "muistaa" (to remember).

I mentioned last time that I can't really understand spoken Polish at all. That's still true, although I am listening to more Polish (mostly songs and YouTube videos)and once a while I hear a "jak" or "się". I think "jak" means how, but it can also be used as a conjunction with multiple meanings and uses. I think "się" is usually a pronoun that be used for a few different purposes but, according to wiktionary it can also be a particle again with many meanings and uses. I think I understand now why some language learners warn against trying to translate everything when stating to learn a new language. Another thing I tried to do was learn how to use verbs of motion in Polish such as iść, chodzić, pójść etc but I got confused and frustrated :oops: by too much linguistics jargon I don't understand and maybe some contradictory information as well. So then I decided to watch a YouTube video where a teenage boy talks to a friend who is wearing a Gucci shopping bag over his head. I understood almost nothing that they were talking about (so the video link is no longer here), or why his friend has a shopping bag on his head, but at least it made me laugh and stop worrying about Polish grammar points I'm not actually ready to learn yet.

Do zobaczenia
Mick

Edited a couple times because I first typed this at 1 a.m. when I should have been asleep.
1 x

mick33
Orange Belt

Re: Mick oppii suomea - Mick learns Finnish

Postby mick33 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:20 pm

mick33 wrote:For Finnish I decided to learn more colloquial language, especially greetings because I read some blog post that began by using "moikka!" as a greeting :? when I thought that it meant "bye". I've also been learning more verbs, starting with "muistaa" (to remember).

Moro! I hope that the title for this post "Mick oppii suomea" is right, but I'm not completely sure. This uncertainty seems like a good theme to use to revive my log, since in my last post I wondered whether "moikka" can be used as a greeting (I now know it can be a way to say "hello!" or "bye") ;) . I have been continuing to learn bit more puhekieli (spoken language) along with "kirjakieli" (book language) just so I can have some idea of how people actually speak and write. I don't follow either form of Finnish at all well yet, although "kirjakieli" seems to be at once more grammatically complex but slightly easier for me to understand :lol: .

I've already wrote that I learned the verb "muistaa", so I should add "unohtaa" (to forget). As soon as I find the most recent list of Finnish verbs (and other words) that I wrote down, I'll post some of them here. I also want to write in detail about colloquial Finnish, such as what endings get left off, and things like "me ollaan" (we are).

heihei
Mick
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Mick's Log: Finnish & Polish

Postby cjareck » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:02 pm

mick33 wrote: I think "jak" means how, but it can also be used as a conjunction with multiple meanings and uses.

You're right. This is a basic meaning. Any other that I can think of is a Soviet airplane series Yak ;)

mick33 wrote:I think "się" is usually a pronoun that be used for a few different purposes but, according to wiktionary it can also be a particle again with many meanings and uses.

"Się" is a relative pronoun. It states that the verb is reflexive. Not all the time it can be translated that way:

Code: Select all

Umył się -> He washed himself

but

Code: Select all

Stało się -> It happened
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Return to “Language logs”