Jaleel's Spanish Log, 2018.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Re: Jaleel's Spanish Log, 2018.

Postby Bex » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:08 pm

Fluency fast track is definitely the way to go for learning vocabulary.

I am using the more time consuming "all sentences" because I am trying to speak Spanish on ITalki now and I have found that the real issue I have is not being really strong with the basics...I am hoping with Clozemaster I can nail the basics and I may start Glossika (old style GSR) again, to help with my speech.

I tried to read Harry Potter last year, I managed to rush through the first two books (with a mixture of audiobook/reading), I also had to look up a LOT of words and the vocabulary is a bit on the "magical" side for me. Having said that, I may try reading Harry Potter 3 this year at some point though :)
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:36 am

Bex wrote:Fluency fast track is definitely the way to go for learning vocabulary.

I am using the more time consuming "all sentences" because I am trying to speak Spanish on ITalki now and I have found that the real issue I have is not being really strong with the basics...I am hoping with Clozemaster I can nail the basics and I may start Glossika (old style GSR) again, to help with my speech.

I tried to read Harry Potter last year, I managed to rush through the first two books (with a mixture of audiobook/reading), I also had to look up a LOT of words and the vocabulary is a bit on the "magical" side for me. Having said that, I may try reading Harry Potter 3 this year at some point though :)

I can't wait to start speaking but I don't have mastery of the tenses yet and PREPOSITIONS !! . I actually love learning different verb forms. And can't wait to dive into the subjunctive.

I'm going to start using Glossika again after I finished Michel Thomas. I love the Castillian accent but my African tongue doesn't lol. It took many tries to pronounce words like necesito correctly without going nethethito. I'm still stuck on words like piscina and doscientos where the s and c sounds follow each other. But I guess my tongue will adapt with time.

Goodluck with the Clozemaster, Glossika and your speaking practice :)
1 x

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:32 am

Jaleel10 wrote:I can't wait to start speaking but I don't have mastery of the tenses yet and PREPOSITIONS !! . I actually love learning different verb forms. And can't wait to dive into the subjunctive.

I sooo don't have mastery of the tenses or prepositions at all, if I'd waited until I had mastery I would never have started talking. I forced myself to use ITalki in order to force myself to speak, it has worked. My Spanish is terrible and I make loads of mistakes but that's ok, I at least try now.

Good luck to you with your studies too :D
2 x
Kwiziq

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Bex wrote:
Jaleel10 wrote:I can't wait to start speaking but I don't have mastery of the tenses yet and PREPOSITIONS !! . I actually love learning different verb forms. And can't wait to dive into the subjunctive.

I sooo don't have mastery of the tenses or prepositions at all, if I'd waited until I had mastery I would never have started talking. I forced myself to use ITalki in order to force myself to speak, it has worked. My Spanish is terrible and I make loads of mistakes but that's ok, I at least try now.

Good luck to you with your studies too :D

Haha. Mastery might have been a too strong word. Future and present I got. Conditional too. But it's just the past. I barely understand them in English so the Spanish will take some effort lol. I keep using the the pretérito perfecto, the other past tenses scare me lol. I'll look to practice them. Clozemaster has specific exercises for them.

I do have two Spanish speaking friends and a whole Whatsapp group chat so I am using them as the unfortunate test subjects. But I hope after Michel Thomas I will have better confidence. Then I'll join Italki or Hellotalk and get a regular exchange partner. And continue the audio studies with Glossika (and maybe notes in Spanish)

Also do you know about this website ? https://itsnachotime.com/
1 x

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:Also do you know about this website ? https://itsnachotime.com/

Haven't seen that one before...looks interesting, thanks.
0 x
Kwiziq

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:29 am

February log.
06/02/2018

Demotivation setting in. I'm still doing my daily exercises but I just want to sleep or do nothing lol. I have to push through.

Exploring new ways to improve listening through television.

Each time I 'master' indirect object pronouns it throws me a curveball lol.
0 x

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:49 am

Jaleel10 wrote:February log.
06/02/2018

Demotivation setting in. I'm still doing my daily exercises but I just want to sleep or do nothing lol. I have to push through.

Exploring new ways to improve listening through television.

Each time I 'master' indirect object pronouns it throws me a curveball lol.

Keep going... don't worry about object pronouns. Come back to them later. Just find an enjoyable way to spend time with the language and come back to studying when you're ready.
2 x
Kwiziq

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 am

Bex wrote:Keep going... don't worry about object pronouns. Come back to them later. Just find an enjoyable way to spend time with the language and come back to studying when you're ready.

Gracias, Bex. Lo aprecio mucho por el consejo :)

At the moment I'm loving the Michel Thomas Method. I even managed to get a hold of all his courses. And started listening (out of curiousity :lol: )to Arabic, Dutch, Russian, Japanese. I am not linguistic or a polyglot but the man was an artist. I have to contain myself and not burn through my entire Spanish course lol.

I'm just so tired when I get home from work. It's usually when I study from my grammar book and Assimil. I don't dislike it. But I rarely have the energy. I might move them to the morning. And maybe a build a habit of sleep early, wake up early. And do the Michel Thomas in the evenings when I want to rest. We'll see.

Maybe my pronoun problem is something you can help me with lol ? https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 548#p97548
1 x

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:21 am

Jaleel10 wrote:
Bex wrote:Keep going... don't worry about object pronouns. Come back to them later. Just find an enjoyable way to spend time with the language and come back to studying when you're ready.

Gracias, Bex. Lo aprecio mucho por el consejo :)

At the moment I'm loving the Michel Thomas Method. I even managed to get a hold of all his courses. And started listening (out of curiousity :lol: )to Arabic, Dutch, Russian, Japanese. I am not linguistic or a polyglot but the man was an artist. I have to contain myself and not burn through my entire Spanish course lol.

I'm just so tired when I get home from work. It's usually when I study from my grammar book and Assimil. I don't dislike it. But I rarely have the energy. I might move them to the morning. And maybe a build a habit of sleep early, wake up early. And do the Michel Thomas in the evenings when I want to rest. We'll see.

Maybe my pronoun problem is something you can help me with lol ? https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 548#p97548
If something is really bugging me then I go to YouTube and blogs etc and watch loads of videos and read as much as I can about that single subject, I find it useful to see the same thing explained in many different styles. I concentrate on understanding first and don't worry about being able to produce anything, first I need to understand why something is used/said a certain way. Also you don't worry about being able to produce object pronouns because you can always say things the long way round :D and so just being able to recognise them is enough. I try to use my frustration to push myself to understand.

If you read my original log you will see I had a lot of trouble sticking to my studies :lol:
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 949#p49405

If Michel Thomas is something you enjoy, just stick with that or to to quote rdearman from my struggles to study in 2016 you could try to..."eat the frog"
rdearman wrote:...However, I've come to realise the people who really progress with this language learning stuff are the ones who put the time and effort in. So my advice to you is "eat the frog" which is basically a time management technique which says do the thing you dread doing first, and the rest of the stuff will get easier.

View the Assimil lesson as the frog you have to eat. You decide how many frogs a week you have to eat, 1, 3, 5, 7 and then you just sit down and do one and only one lesson. Then you've eaten the frog and you get up and you do something interesting to you. For me this would be watching a film or better yet a TV series in the target language...
I chose 1 thing to be my "frog" and I did it in the morning until I eventually finished the course, in your case I would recommend Assimil but it's your call. Save Michel Thomas until the evening, if you are too tired in the evening to listen to MT then it doesn't matter because you have "eaten your frog" already and if you do manage to listen to MT then it's just a great bonus.

Anyway that just my two cents worth, please feel free to ignore any or all of this, what helped me is not necessarily the right thing for you ;) Good luck.
2 x
Kwiziq

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 am

Bex wrote:Anyway that just my two cents worth, please feel free to ignore any or all of this, what helped me is not necessarily the right thing for you ;) Good luck.

Advice I really appreciate and needed. I will refer back to it when necessary. Lot's of useful information and I've already tweaked my schedule. And will try it for the next few days. And watched a bunch of videos on Double Object Pronouns :lol:
1 x

Return to “Language logs”