Jaleel's Spanish Log, 2018.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: Jaleel's Spanish Log, 2018.

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:18 am

March update
26/03/2018

General Update -

Courses:

Assimil 1st Wave - 73/100 - 73%
Assimil 2nd Wave - 24/100 - 24%
Paul Noble: 13h30m/13h30m - 100%
Michel Thomas - 12h45/16h36 - 76.8%
Babbel - 91/191 - 47.6%

Trying a new schedule. A few ups and downs here and there. But I'm trying
56.png

Some general thoughts about my progress and what I learned:

* I went through a mini midlife crisis with Spanish lol. I was kinda frustrated after studying so much that I was still so inaffective in a lot of the main skills. BUT I realized that I am but a mere beginner and this requires lots of work to make the leap to the next level and I'm perfectly fine with that. I get enough satisfaction if I can recite an Assimil lesson from memory or laugh at a joke on a video. Or even remember the spelling of desafindo disafindo desifando desafinado lol

* I found Captain Tsubasa, Inzuma Eleven AND DEATH NOTE in Castillian Spanish. It's very hard to find anime and cartoon dubs in this dialect but I guess that's understandable. Saving Death Note for B1. But I don't mind watching Inzuma and Captain Tsubasa each day for enjoyment

* Haber + de and it's comparisons to haber + que and tener + que. I saw it in a video and my curiosity got the best of me.

* Adverb placement in Spanish.

* Each day I encounter new ways prepositions are used. Both daunting and fascinating !

* Subjunctive in general. Still something I have to spend a lot of time. I know all the forms. Now I only have to practice when it's used.

* Two accents that made me question everything I've studied :lol: Andalusian and Chilean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:59 pm

Death Note! Cool! Now I'm thinking of watching it after Danny Phantom. I heard of that 'haber + de' construction because of one of the Spanish dubbings of "Let It Go". "No has de sentir, no han de saber". So while people say it's old-fashioned it still does get used.
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:
It's very hard to find anime and cartoon dubs in this dialect but I guess that's understandable.

Um, not really. I'd say that Castilian is a rich source of this type of entertainment. Less so than Italian but still a strong no 2 among European languages.
2 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:58 pm

reineke wrote:
Jaleel10 wrote:
It's very hard to find anime and cartoon dubs in this dialect but I guess that's understandable.

Um, not really. I'd say that Castilian is a rich source of this type of entertainment. Less so than Italian but still a strong no 2 among European languages.

For real, damn ? I always see the anime you have on your log and add them to my playlist :lol: I'll do some more digging then. If I can find most of my favorite childhood cartoons in Castilian that would really be special
Last edited by Jaleel10 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Stuff I learned.

[LENGHTY POST]

The magical Spanish 'se'. These two little letters that give me the most headaches in Spanish. I have FINALLY made a breakthrough in understanding them lol.

A)

Introduction to Pronominal Verbs

Pronominal means related to pronouns, therefore, a pronominal verb is always accompanied by a pronoun. These pronouns are called reflexive pronouns.

Let's start off with these important points:

1- The term reflexive does NOT ALWAYS mean that the subject acts on himself (the subject and the object are the same).

2- It rather means that the pronoun reflects on or more accurately matches the subject. In other words, the pronoun changes to agree with its respective subject.

3- Based on the above and as we will discuss below, it's absolutely imperative to keep in mind that NOT every pronominal verb is a reflexive verb.

4- The fact is that, reflexive verbs are only on subtype of pronominal verbs.

The infinitives of pronominal verbs are characterized by having a 'se' at the end. e.g. sentarse, volverse, hacerse, limpiarse, ducharse....etc.

The part of the verb WITHOUT the 'se' is conjugated to match the tense, mood, and the subject, while the 'se' takes the form of the reflexive pronoun that agrees with the subject.

Subject .............Reflexive Pronoun
Yo...............................Me
Tú...............................Te
Ella, Él, usted..............Se
Ellas, Ellos, Ustedes....Se
Nosotros............... ..Nos
Vosotros..................Os
Note that reflexive pronouns are the same as direct object pronouns except for the change of (lo, los, la, las) to se.

Example:

Ducharse: to shower
I shower : (Yo) me ducho.
Subject:Yo
Matching reflexive pronoun: me.
Duchar conjugation for 'Yo' in simple present indicative is: ducho

They shower: (Ellos) se duchan

Subject: Ellos.
Matching reflexive pronouns: se
Duchar conjugation for 'ellos' in simple present indicative: duchan

Similarly:

We shower: (Nosotros) nos duchamos.

He/ she/ you (formal) shower: (él/ella/usted) se ducha.
They/ you all (formal) shower: (ellos/ellas/ustedes) se duchan.
You all (informal) shower: (vosotros) os ducháis.
You (informal) shower: (tú) te duchas.
Important Uses of Pronominal Verbs

1- Intrinsically pronominal verbs: These verbs are originally pronominal and cannot function otherwise. e.g.

Arrepentirse and suicidarse. Suicidar alone without the 'se' is not a Spanish verb, it doesn't exist.

2- Pronominal use imparting a whole new meaning to the original verb:

Some verbs when used pronominally give a totally different meaning, e.g,

Acordar: to agree. Acordarse: to remember.
Saltar: to jump. Saltarse: to skip
Volver: to turn, to come back. Volverse: to become.
Empeñar: to give. Empeñarse: to insist.
Other examples are: dejar(se), disponer(se), despedir(se)... etc.
3- Pronominal construction for emphasis. To emphasize the action. e.g,

Comer: to eat. Comerse: to eat up. Beberse, fumarse.
4- Pronominal reflexive verbs.

The subject and the object are the same person. As you can see by now, reflexive verbs are only one type of pronominal verbs.

Lavarse, bañarse, quitarse, atarse, afeitarse...etc.

Me lavo el pelo. I wash my hair (I wash myself the hair). Se lava las manos (he washes his hands). Os laváis la cara (you all wash your faces)

5- Pronominal reciprocal verb. Reciprocity of the action, i.e, two or more subjects act on each other/ one another.

Se besan: they kiss each other/ one another.

Nos amamos: we love each other.

Important Notes:

1- Please don't confuse pronominal verbs with passive se (e.g. se venden coches usados), impersonal se (e.g. se habla español aquí), and accidental se (se me rompió el vaso)

http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/2093 ... bs#a533425

B)

Differences between “passive se” and “impersonal se”

* Passive se is used with transitive verbs; inferring people in general when talking about custom, rule, or general consensus; in the form of se + verb (3rd person singular or plural), for example

Aquí se habla español. (Spanish is spoken here.)
Se vende la casa. (The house is for sale.)

* Impersonal se is used with intransitive verbs; inferring an unknown subject when talking about specific actions; in the form of se + verb (3rd person singular)

En el avión no se fuma. (People don't smoke on the plane.)
Se come mucho en esta ciudad. (People eat a lot in this city.)

https://spanish.stackexchange.com/quest ... ersonal-se

C)

Accidental Reflexive

The reflexive construction, used mainly with pronominal verbs, can also be used passively to describe accidental and unplanned occurrences, a construction known as voz media (middle voice), because it falls between the active and passive voices.

Se me olvidó el libro.
I forgot the book.

Se le cayó la pluma.
He dropped the pen.

In this type of passive reflexive construction, the reflexive pronoun se precedes an indirect object pronoun that indicates the subject, and the verb, rather than being conjugated to agree with the subject, agrees with whatever noun follows the verb.

Se me olvidaron los libros.
I forgot the books.

¿Se te perdieron las llaves?
Did you lose the keys?

Sí, se me cayeron ayer.
Yes, I dropped them yesterday.

The accidental reflexive construction indicates that the action was unintentional. In addition, because the subject is only referred to by an indirect object pronoun, this passive construction gives the sense that the subject is not to blame – he or she had nothing to do with the accident.

Literal meaning

Se le cayó la pluma.
The pen got dropped by him.

Se me olvidaron los libros.
The books got forgotten by me.

¿Se te perdieron las llaves?
Did the keys get lost on you?

Sí, se me quedaron.
Yes, they got left behind on me.

Compare this to the passive voice:

Se cayó la pluma.
The pen fell.

Se perdieron las llaves.
The keys got lost.

Se quedaron los libros.
The books got left behind.

https://www.lawlessspanish.com/grammar/ ... reflexive/

Now I have something to fall back on if I get confused again. Any other tips would be appreciated.
3 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:47 am

April Update

3 months of active study !

Today is just a general update.

* I've kinda had to remove listening exercises from my schedule. I'm gonna have a lot of late nights this month and have a feeling that I will lack the energy/desire to transcribe. But I'm not that upset about it. I get enough listening exercises through Assimil anyway. I'm already doing like 2 hours of active study a day, I think that is enough :lol:

* As I said in my previous post I have finally made some sense of Spanish Pronominal Verbs. So I'll chalk that up in the victory column !

* I managed to find more Cartoons en Castellano ! Avatar Legend of Korra, Digimon Adventure, Pokemon Indigo League, Dragon Ball Z, Danny Phantom and the old Asterix and Obelix movies. I can't wait to watch them once I reach the intermediate phase ! Right now I'm only watching Inzuma Eleven . Because I love football and it's actually pretty fun. Even though half of is still a bit uncomprehensible. I don't mind it because it's fun seeing the language I love with the sport I love.

* I've noticed that Spaniards talk WAY faster than Colombians, Peruvians and Mexicans. I am not as flustered listening to the latter 3 speak but Spaniards and especially Madrileños and Andalusians they just go and go and go ! But that's the challenge lol ! I have recently learned about Synalepha and this has solved a lot of small problems I had. Especially this weekend with an Assimil lesson where some sounds made me said what ?? I have to learn to stressing about the little things lol
(And is it just me or do adult Spanish males have a deeper, raspier voice than their America Latina counter parts ?.

* I am just CASUALLY READING (I SWEAR !) several Spanish books that I maybe plan on using in the next phase of my studies. The Ultimate Spanish Review and Practice ; Practice Makes Perfect: Complete Spanish Grammar ; Beyond the Basics: Spanish and the grand daddy A New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish. The last one one I'm using quite a bit to better understand any grammar terms used in Assimil.Once or twice I fell alseep reading it :lol:

Goals for April

* Getting more comfortable with Prepositions, Prepositional Clauses and Relative Pronouns.

* Spending more time with the beauty that is the Spanish Subjunctive

* Finishing the 1st wave of Assimil. Just 22 more lessons to go !

* Finishing the entire Babbel Beginners Course. 17 lessons to go !

* Finishing Michel Thomas. Just a little of over 2 hours left !
4 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:43 am

Well done for keeping your studies going over the 3 months. I still feel like I'm finding my way this year...I suppose that's the trouble with not following courses :roll:
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Bex wrote:Well done for keeping your studies going over the 3 months. I still feel like I'm finding my way this year...I suppose that's the trouble with not following courses :roll:

Thanks, Bex :D

I wish I was at your stage lol. Just actively consuming the language. The courses are kinda my crutches because I don't think I can expend the physical and mental energy you do . My job and my university studies already take a lot out of me. But the courses are kinda preparing me for that I suppose and I'm kinda excited for that phase ! I've read some of your old log as well and you seem like you have a great basis already. Talks of me being your rival have been greatly exaggerated !
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 am

April update
09/04/2018

Just a mini-update

* Ok, so something big happened to me this weekend. Two or so months ago, I attempted to read a B1 grader reader Pepa Villa, Taxista En Barcelona: UNA Operacion Arriesgada. I had a fair amount of Spanish beginner Spanish knowledge so I thought why not push myself ?

Safe to say it went terribly. Really bad. Half of the vocabulary went straight through me. And the grammar was a nightmare. But....

I was watching the first 20 minutes of Harry Potter, Philosophers' Stone** with Lingo player and I was completely [insert expletive] taken a back by how much grammar and vocab I knew. I kinda had a funny feeling in abdomen :lol:

2018-04-08 (2).jpg

** I gave up on it because, for the life of me!, I could not find proper subtitles corresponding to the Castilian dub. Wasted a good hour searching. Oh well.

So I decided to test my newly awakened skills on Pepa Villa. I was so [insert expletive] stoked. I read the first 3 pages and I could understand about 70% of the vocabulary and 85% of the grammar. Still prepositions and relative pronouns are the death of me. But this is very very promising. I can't wait till I finish the first wave of Assimil. Then I will have more time dedicated to reading !

* Finally, Babbel is teaching me important vocab !

2018-04-08 (8).jpg

2018-04-08 (9).jpg

(As you can tell I am a huge football fan. !Hala Madrid!)

* Subjunctive is definitely tougher than I thought. Interesting, but tough. I love it !

* Something I plan on doing in the future. Inspired by Eido's log and a method by Luca Lampariello. Every new or dificult word (or grammar point) I encounter, I plan on making a list through lets say a week. And on the Saturday or Sunday I turn all that vocab into a story or a somewhat coherent paragraph. I present it to a native through writing or speaking. And focus on the corrections given.

Thoughts ?

* Randomly recorded myself doing another Assimil Lesson. https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Pj6e04lKen

* Oh and nothing to do with Spanish. But I am fed up with people telling me how basic and simple Afrikaans is. I've heard anything from that to even Dutch people mocking it. Yes I know, I know. I don't need to hear it everytime ! "No offence, Jaleel"; "None taken, [insert expletive]"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jaleel10 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:19 pm

Ya estoy de vuelta

April update (fairly lengthy post)
30/04/2018

4 months of active study

So.... Yeah this month was a bitch. Definitely my least productive month yet lol. Work and study have been preoccupying my free time. Exams coming up in May so I don't expect it to be a productive one either. Hopefully another 6WC will help my accountability a bit. But enough about that !

Courses update:

Assimil 1st Wave: 84/100 - 84%
Assimil 2nd Wave: 33/100 - 33%
Paul Noble: 13h30m/13h30m - 100%
Michel Thomas: 16h36/16h36 - 100%
Babbel - Beginners Course: 112/112 - 100%
Babbel - Intermediate Course: 2/91 - 2.2 %

Uhm. Assimil is such a big frog to swallow lol. I should have been done with the first wave weeks ago. It takes about 60 to 90 minutes of my routine and even though it is the most rewarding thing I did in Spanish, I still need to fix life around Spanish. Sleeping, exercise, eating, time management, etc. Even though I do try to get AT LEAST 10 minutes in a day lol. I do like systematically going through courses and crossing the lessons off day by day. They are crutches, I know, I know.

Some general struggles through April

Speaking. Definitely speaking. I just don't know how to approach it lol. In my Discord group there are a dozen native speakers that I can use. But I am discouraged because my conversations are just be about my life, family, my hobbies . FULL STOP. And I can't partake in more spontaneous conversations due to my awful listening skills and limited vocab and grammar. I want to comfortably talk about the days events, history, describe my favourite video games, talk about music, describe my views on social issues.... maybe not the last one lol but you get what I mean ! So starting this month I will try an online tutor and approach it in that fashion. Ugh... we'll see. I knew studying Spanish without a definitive purpose would come to haunt me :lol: BUT STILL ! Listening and reading are the main goals for my trek with Spanish but given the knowledge that I have I'd like to build up on that and make it 'active' through using the language.

Grammar. Yep, I usually have a love-hate relationship with grammar. Love it when I understand it, hate it when I don't :lol: There have been many instances of the latter as of late but overcoming the obstacles is always rewarding, I guess. Spanish does have a lot of a tricky grammar points, but know one said it would be easy.

Looking forward

* Using an online tutor. Given my very terrible social skills and tendency to stutter, we'll see how it goes lol. I'll report back after I had done my first lesson/session.

* Listening practice. After browsing the forums and receiving great advice from the Spanish Study Group, I decided to use Subs2srs. My descent back into the world of SRS begins !! I have decided to use Avatar: The Last Airbender and a show from Spain. I had chosen the castillian dub of Rick and Morty - no accurate subtitles. Then I decided to begrudgingly use a drama. Gran Hotel is the closest I have found to being accurate subtitles but most shows subtitled for Castilian shows often use the gerund in speech and the normal tense in the subtitles or the subtitles will leave out filler words and phrases, stuff like that. Probably too high for my current level. I'll still look around. I don't plan on practicing it right now. But definitely sometime after Assimil 1st wave. I might even use it in the way Iguanamon stated here

* FSI ? My walk home from work is usually 30 to 40 minutes long. So It can fill in the gap that Michel Thomas left behind on my afternoon walks. People says it helped them a lot bridging the gap between beginner and intermediate. I have seen a guide on Eido's log and I'll probably just use it as an audio course.

* Clozemaster. My descent into SRS continues. Completely bullied into it by Bex. Since finishing Michel Thomas and Paul Noble a window has opened up in my daily schedule. I'll try to hit 50 to 75 new words per day, bit more on the weekends and holidays. Thus far.... I have been actually enjoying it, to be honest. I am comfortable with 95% of the grammar thus far and I always consult my Butt and Benjamin, my native friends or the Spanish group if I have doubts. This has caused me to put reading on the back burner..... again. Oh well, exposure is exposure I guess. And here some stats after 10 days !

- Sentences Seen: 1354 (914 new sentences, 440 review sentences.)
    - Sentences correct percentage: 1240/1354 = 91.6 % (Yeah, I am awesome. Let me have this one :lol: )

Mega chuffed about my high retention rating. My previous coursework paying dividends 8-)

Still going forward

I am in an environment where I can have text convo's with natives and learners any time of the day and I really appreciate that.

I still have a montón of cartoons dubbed in Castilian and thousands of short stories that I just read on occasion. I'll be using them actively after I have completed my course work but still like to occasionally entertain myself with them

Thanks for reading.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”