Jaleel's Spanish Log, 2018.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Re: Jaleel's Spanish Log, 2018.

Postby Spoonary » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:13 am

Jaleel10 wrote:I also recorded myself again! I recorded this a week ago, just some random thoughts. I actually wanted to record a video of myself but I chickened out. Anyway, corrections are always welcome.
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0r4TmwHvmvR

¡Pero qué bien hablas! ¡Es que me das hasta envidia! :shock:

Seriously Jaleel, your choice of words and grammatical structures is amazing, and your accent is spot on! I think your level of spoken Spanish now is even better than mine was at my peak, just after I graduated. Wow :mrgreen:
3 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:56 am

I wanted to give a long winded recap of the last three months but meh, I haven't been studying a lot. Just manga, comics, YouTube and Netflix. That's a good thing I guess, at least I am keeping contact with the the language. My listening comprehension has improved a lot. I can understand Nadie Sabe Nada waaay better than I could 6 months ago. There are times when Berto Romero says something super fast and I'll go like ''Joder, eso lo he pillado'' It still feels like I'm very far away but I love little moments like these.

Holidays kick off in a week so I'll have more time to dedicate towards Spanish. My main areas of focus will be transcribing, writing and grammar.

And yeah, I guess I've caught the wanderlust bug. I'll have a lot of free-time during the next 6 weeks so I decided on adding Dutch to my language studies. My initial ''next language'' was supposed to be German but I feel my Spanish isn't at a high enough level where I can dedicate the amount of time I want for learning German. So I decided on Dutch. I can already read a lot of intermediate and beginner texts on Lingq with a high level of comprehension so I probably won't be spending as much time wrapping my around it as I did when I started with Spanish. It might also be easier to learn German from a Dutch base in the future. Am I making a stupid decision? Maybe, but I like the language and it might even give me a better understanding of my native language.I might even gain the respect of my Dutch and Belgium friends who always make fun of Afrikaans. If you have any tips for learning a related language, I'd love to hear them :D

To any of you who have used FSI Spanish. Is it okay if I just start at level 3? I've listened to some of the first two levels content and a lot of the stuff seems pretty boring.
Last edited by Jaleel10 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:13 am

Jaleel10 wrote:I also recorded myself again! I recorded this a week ago, just some random thoughts. I actually wanted to record a video of myself but I chickened out. Anyway, corrections are always welcome.

I would just like to say that I bow to your superiority, as your official rival ;) I am in awe!

Seriously jealous...how did you acquire that awesome spanish accent...it is superb! I am however now saddened by my lack of progress in comparison to yours this year :(

Do you think you could pin down any one thing that helped you the most with your Spanish this year?
2 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:19 pm

Bex wrote:how did you acquire that awesome spanish accent...it is superb!

I agree! You sound like such a Spaniard! Well done!
Jaleel10 wrote:It might also be easier to learn German from a Dutch base in the future. Am I making a stupid decision? Maybe, but I like the language and it might even give me a better understanding of my native language.I might even gain the respect of my Dutch and Belgium friends who always make fun of Afrikaans. If you have any tips for learning a related language, I'd love to hear them :D
To any of you who have used FSI Spanish. Is it okay if I just start at level 3? I've listened to some of the first two levels content and a lot of the stuff seems pretty boring.

I didn't do FSI Spanish Basic. My experience with DLI Portuguese Basic was that when I was pretty much at your level of Spanish, I just jumped in the course where I felt comfortable, at volume 4. So, if I were you I'd jump in to FSI where I felt it would be useful. There's no need to reinforce what you have already well mastered.

I have learned and am learning several similar languages, but, not so similar to my own. I am a native English-speaker. English doesn't really have other similar languages that are commonly learned. Not many of us ever try to learn Scots. There probably are no monolingual Scots-speakers. Yes, Frisian is close, as well as Dutch and Afrikaans. They're not as close in my opinion as Dutch is to Afrikaans, and as German probably is to Dutch.

My advice is based on what I've done with Portuguese, Catalan and Djudeo-espanyol/Ladino coming from Spanish as my first second language. Comprehension is one thing. Production is another thing entirely, as you know from learning Spanish.

I have little to no doubt that you could probably use a Dutch base course for German right now, relying on your native Afrikaans and English, similar to how I can use a French base course relying on my English and Haitian Creole and my other languages.

From what I have read in the past, Afrikaners can speak in Afrikaans and be understood in Holland and Flanders, I'm sure not quite as easily as between Americans and British, but you'd know more about that than I would. If you do want to learn Dutch- Ask neumanc. He learned Dutch pretty much with just courses coming from German as a native language. Expugnator has learned Italian, French and Papiamento, and is learning Spanish coming from Portuguese as a native language and smallwhite learned Mandarin coming from Cantonese as a native language. Iversen has learned several related languages to Danish and there are many others, such as Ogrim, who learned German as a native Norwegian-speaker. These folks can better help you since they come from a similar native-speaker perspective.

All I can tell you from my perspective is, as you have read in my log and elsewhere, the devil is in the details. That's what makes the difference from being understood to actually speaking the language with proficiency and ease.

I know that Afrikaans simplified some of Dutch grammar and probably uses some common words differently than Dutch does and that Dutch probably uses some common words a bit differently than Afrikaans does. Also, Afrikaans has English, French, Portuguese and African influences (which makes it a different language!). Your task is more akin to that of a native Spanish-speaker going to Portuguese or Catalan and a native Swedish-speaker going to Danish or Norwegian.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably just go straight for German. I'm sure you would make rapid progress in it, despite the cases and gender issues, given your background. Learning Dutch may not hold your interest as well since Dutch and Afrikaans are so close.
3 x

Chmury
Green Belt
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:46 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:And yeah, I guess I've caught the wanderlust bug. I'll have a lot of free-time during the next 6 weeks so I decided on adding Dutch to my language studies. My initial ''next language'' was supposed to be German but I feel my Spanish isn't at a high enough level where I can dedicate the amount of time I want for learning German. So I decided on Dutch. I can already read a lot of intermediate and beginner texts on Lingq with a high level of comprehension so I probably won't be spending as much time wrapping my around it as I did when I started with Spanish. It might also be easier to learn German from a Dutch base in the future. Am I making a stupid decision? Maybe, but I like the language and it might even give me a better understanding of my native language.I might even gain the respect of my Dutch and Belgium friends who always make fun of Afrikaans. If you have any tips for learning a related language, I'd love to hear them :D

Afrikaans heeft me altijd erg leuk geklonken! Heel mooie taal, dus, wees trots op je moedertaal. I would simply suggest learning whichever interests you more, if it's Dutch, learn Dutch, if it's German, learn German. Interest and self motivation are always the strongest indicators for whether or not someone will continue with a language. So answer yourself that question first and then go for it!

In my experience the resources for learning German are far superior to those for learning Dutch, and for me at least, that makes the process of learning German more enjoyable. But also at present I don't have much interest in improving my Dutch and many years ago when I was studying it actively and really into it, the relative lack on resources didn't bother me at all, particularly because I have a handful of really good friends in both Nederland and Belgium.

I do find learning German, coming from a background in Dutch, to be far less tricky and complicated than I was expecting given how many find German to be an absolute nightmare in the difficulty department, so I do believe it definitely makes learning German easier, as you're already familiar with so much of the grammar and various structures and whatnot. But I'd imagine that'd be very similar for someone coming from Afrikaans too, so again, just go with whichever you find more interesting. Heel veel sucess! Oder, viel Glück!
1 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:14 pm

Bex wrote:I would just like to say that I bow to your superiority, as your official rival ;) I am in awe!

Seriously jealous...how did you acquire that awesome spanish accent...it is superb! I am however now saddened by my lack of progress in comparison to yours this year :(

Lol, let's just say both our years were filled with ups and downs

Well I think being bilingual helped with the accent thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. And the fact that I just looove imitating accents, especially the mannerisms of Spanish speakers when they speak - the hand-movements, body language, facial expressions. I'm weird, I know :P

Do you think you could pin down any one thing that helped you the most with your Spanish this year?

Uhm, I guess finding content I enjoy was the biggest factor. I remember NoManches telling me as soon as that happens, the learning experience will be much more enjoyable.

Thanks, Chmury and Iguanamon for you guys' input.

I ended up deciding against learning Dutch. It's just like you said, Iguanamon, it might not hold my interest and I think I'll get more satisfaction out of learning German. I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Some updates:
    * I started watching El Vato (Mexican TV series) - Loooots of slang :oops:
    * I also started watching Los Simuladores (Argentinian TV series) - It's veeeery good, I highly recommend it.
    * I'm slowly working my way through Nadie Sabe Nada, constantly annoying my Spanish friends for explanations xD. I'm at episode 7 of the first season.
    * I started working intensively with Cuéntame cómo pasó. On the Español Avanzado website they added explanations to certain vocabulary for the first 5 episodes transcripts: https://www.espanolavanzado.com/video-y ... -como-paso
    * I started with level 3 of FSI Basic Spanish.
    * I'm also playing Pokémon again! I want to complete it this time around lol

5 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Al hacer esta grabación, ¿leíste algo que te tomaste el tiempo de escribir, o fue todo improvisado?

Esto es solo por curiosidad mía, ya que tu pronunciación es por supuesto excelente. Los únicos detalles que me parecieron extraños fueron tu uso del sonido [r] "rr" en "enamorado" (2:58, dijiste *"enamorrado") y en "empezaré" (3:51, dijiste *"empezarré"), y tu uso del sonido [b] "b/v fuerte" en "abrir" (3:56, esta palabra se pronuncia con el sonido [β] "b/v suave").

Comentarios léxicos:

"vídeo" ~ "video". Ambas pronunciaciones son aceptadas en español, pero tienen un fuerte carácter regional. Vídeo se usa en España y video en Latinoamérica.

"antes de nada" ~ "antes que nada". La mayor parte de hispanohablantes, especialmente en Latinoamérica, dice "antes que nada", pero en España ambas formas coexisten, siendo "antes de nada" algo más común dentro de ese país. Tú claramente estudias el español de España, por lo que no hay nada raro en que digas "antes de nada".

"bitácora". No sé si aprendiste esa palabra de mí, pero quisiera mencionar que en contextos más formales creo que es más aceptado usar "registro", o en todo caso la expresión "cuaderno de bitácora". Un blog además es "un blog". Aunque sí hay muchos hispanohablantes, como yo, que decimos "bitácora" así simplemente.

"todos los días casi" ~ "casi todos los días". Ambas opciones son aceptadas.

"tengo un montón de dudas". A "montón" generalmente le precede un artículo en su forma singular. (Dijiste *"tengo montón".)
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:31 am

Ser!!!

Ser wrote:Al hacer esta grabación, ¿leíste algo que te tomaste el tiempo de escribir, o fue todo improvisado?

La mayor parte fue improvisada, pero tenía una lista de palabras desconocidas frente a mí. Hice trampa un poco :?

Esto es solo por curiosidad mía, ya que tu pronunciación es por supuesto excelente. Los únicos detalles que me parecieron extraños fueron tu uso del sonido [r] "rr" en "enamorado" (2:58, dijiste *"enamorrado") y en "empezaré" (3:51, dijiste *"empezarré"), y tu uso del sonido [b] "b/v fuerte" en "abrir" (3:56, esta palabra se pronuncia con el sonido [β] "b/v suave").

Mucha gente me ha comentado lo de la r/rr. Te aseguro que desde que grabé esa grabación, mi pronunciación ha mejorado mucho en ese aspecto pero voy a centrarme en mejorar lo de la b/v suave

"bitácora". No sé si aprendiste esa palabra de mí, pero quisiera mencionar que en contextos más formales creo que es más aceptado usar "registro", o en todo caso la expresión "cuaderno de bitácora". Un blog además es "un blog". Aunque sí hay muchos hispanohablantes, como yo, que decimos "bitácora" así simplemente.

Ah vale. Lo tendré en cuenta. No sabía eso

Lo he anotado todo lo que me has dicho. Como siempre, Ser, muchísimas gracias por tomarte tu tiempo para ayudarme.

Ya que tengo tu atención, ¿te importa si te hago unas preguntas gramaticales?

1 ¿Qué tan común es esta construcción gramatical? O sea, ¿cómo se usa?:

¡La de libros que tiene Jaime en su casa!
¡La de chistes que contó Álvaro ayer!

2 ¿Va el subjuntivo con ''Tener suerte que''/''Qué suerte que''?

3 Hace dos años que no te veo vs Hacía dos años que no te veía. ¿Cuál es la diferencia entre ellas?

4 No hemos comido en un restaurante desde hace casi un año vs No comíamos en un restaurante desde hacía casi un año. ¿Cuál es la diferencia entre ellas?
0 x

Chmury
Green Belt
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:13 am

Jaleel10 wrote:1 ¿Qué tan común es esta construcción gramatical? O sea, ¿cómo se usa?:

¡La de libros que tiene Jaime en su casa!
¡La de chistes que contó Álvaro ayer!

2 ¿Va el subjuntivo con ''Tener suerte que''/''Qué suerte que''?

A mí me gustaría saber también. Nunca he visto esa construcción de la de antes. ¿Por dónde te topaste con eso?

Jaleel10 wrote:3 Hace dos años que no te veo vs Hacía dos años que no te veía. ¿Cuál es la diferencia entre ellas?

4 No hemos comido en un restaurante desde hace casi un año vs No comíamos en un restaurante desde hacía casi un año. ¿Cuál es la diferencia entre ellas?

A ver lo que Ser dice, pero creo que puedo contestar a la dos últimas preguntas.

"Hace dos años que no te veo" en inglés sería: I haven't seen you in/for two years, mientras que, "hacía dos años que no te veía" sería I hadn't seen you in/for two years. Y los otros ejemplos, "no hemos comido en un restaurante desde hace un año", we haven't eaten in a restaurant for nearly a year (creo que se podría decir también, no comemos en un restaurante...), y, "no comíamos en un restaurante desde hacía casi un año", we hadn't eaten in a restaurant for nearly a year.

Así que cuando se usa el presente de un verbo en esa construcción con 'desde hace' o 'hace', se refiere a un período de tiempo que incluye el momento presente, mientras que cuando se usa el pretérito imperfecto, se refiere a un período de tiempo que empezó en el pasado y también terminó en el pasado, o sea, que no incluye el momento presente. ¿Lo expliqué bien? Te doy otro ejemplo:

Hace un mes que no tomo un helado/desde hace un mes que no tomo un helado - esto quiere decir, que hasta ahora mismo e incluyendo el día de hoy, ha pasado un mes y sigo sin tomar un helado.

Hacía un mes que no tomaba un helado/desde hacía un mes que no tomaba un helado - mientras que en este ejemplo, ese mes sin disfrutar de un helado bien rico podría haber sido 10 años atrás cuando todavía estaba en la escuela, o tal vez cuando tenía 5 años de edad, o quizás el año pasado. Es que cuando se usa el pretérito imperfecto con esa construcción, necesitamos más información temporal para saber a cuál período de tiempo se refiere la persona que está hablando.

Espero que todo eso te sirva y te ayude un poco, de hecho me estaba explicándolo a mí mismo también, ya que nunca lo he dado tanta atención. Y se dice que la mejor manera de realmente aprender algo, o de saber que has aprendido algo bien, es explicarlo a otra persona de manera clara y sencilla. No sé si tuve éxito, pero sí que disfruté del desafío de todas maneras.

p.d. También he visto eso de usar el pretérito perfecto (hemos comido) en vez de el presente en esa construcción. No sé si sea un anglicismo o sólo otra forma aceptada, pero por alguna razón recuerdo haberlo oído con más frecuencia en América del Sur que en España. Pero no estoy seguro. Tal vez Ser o alguien más puede echar un poco de luz sobre el tema.
2 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:19 am

¿Por dónde te topaste con eso?

He visto a algunos de mis amigos usarlo y ni siquiera podían explicármelo jaja

A ver lo que Ser dice, pero creo que puedo contestar a la dos últimas preguntas.

"Hace dos años que no te veo" en inglés sería: I haven't seen you in/for two years, mientras que, "hacía dos años que no te veía" sería I hadn't seen you in/for two years. Y los otros ejemplos, "no hemos comido en un restaurante desde hace un año", we haven't eaten in a restaurant for nearly a year (creo que se podría decir también, no comemos en un restaurante...), y, "no comíamos en un restaurante desde hacía casi un año", we hadn't eaten in a restaurant for nearly a year.

Así que cuando se usa el presente de un verbo en esa construcción con 'desde hace' o 'hace', se refiere a un período de tiempo que incluye el momento presente, mientras que cuando se usa el pretérito imperfecto, se refiere a un período de tiempo que empezó en el pasado y también terminó en el pasado, o sea, que no incluye el momento presente. ¿Lo expliqué bien? Te doy otro ejemplo:

Hace un mes que no tomo un helado/desde hace un mes que no tomo un helado - esto quiere decir, que hasta ahora mismo e incluyendo el día de hoy, ha pasado un mes y sigo sin tomar un helado.

Hacía un mes que no tomaba un helado/desde hacía un mes que no tomaba un helado - mientras que en este ejemplo, ese mes sin disfrutar de un helado bien rico podría haber sido 10 años atrás cuando todavía estaba en la escuela, o tal vez cuando tenía 5 años de edad, o quizás el año pasado. Es que cuando se usa el pretérito imperfecto con esa construcción, necesitamos más información temporal para saber a cuál período de tiempo se refiere la persona que está hablando.

Espero que todo eso te sirva y te ayude un poco, de hecho me estaba explicándolo a mí mismo también, ya que nunca lo he dado tanta atención. Y se dice que la mejor manera de realmente aprender algo, o de saber que has aprendido algo bien, es explicarlo a otra persona de manera clara y sencilla. No sé si tuve éxito, pero sí que disfruté del desafío de todas maneras.

Wow, Gracias Chmury. ¡Qué amable eres! Lo que me has explicado tiene sentido. Siempre estaba confundido jaja

p.d. También he visto eso de usar el pretérito perfecto (hemos comido) en vez de el presente en esa construcción. No sé si sea un anglicismo o sólo otra forma aceptada, pero por alguna razón recuerdo haberlo oído con más frecuencia en América del Sur que en España. Pero no estoy seguro. Tal vez Ser o alguien más puede echar un poco de luz sobre el tema.

No estoy seguro, a decir verdad. Puede que sí. Me gustaría saber también
0 x

Return to “Language logs”