Ani's 2018 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
User avatar
Ani
Brown Belt
Posts: 1281
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:58 am
Location: Alaska
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)
x 3088
Contact:

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:42 am

I feel like the forum is super quiet the last couple days.. maybe I'm just checking in too often :) Hopefully everyone is out enjoying a lovely weekend. Or you're all locked in your rooms' doing the language jam. I'm kind of glad I didn't see that until it was too late. Absolutely last thing I need right now but so terribly tempting.

Pretty much finished the first season of Good Witch in a day and change.. The dubbing is a little odd but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I thought maybe it was done for Canada, but after a quick search I don't think that pans out. Oh well.
Also made it to 4th place on the Russian from English leaderboard for the week on Clozemaster. I feel like I'm cheating because it's mostly all the first 100 words, and at that the 1000+ sentences I've done aren't evenly divided over those 100 words. The vast majority of the answers are сказал or думаю and since the words to be practiced are such a limited set, only one or possibly two from he multiple choice can actually be answers. Leaderboard guilt aside, I think the course is really helping. It also gives me the chance to be ridiculously proud of myself when I can fill in an answer correctly for a word I learned by watching tv.
I have also attained my longest streak ever on Clozemaster today -- 5 whole days.

I'm having ridiculous wanderlust this last week or so.. but I'm actually really enjoying all my languages for a minute, and I have (nearly) realistic goals or plans for each that make me feel good. I really really don't need more and yet.... Oh shiny things. How I love shiny things.
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

User avatar
neofight78
Blue Belt
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:02 pm
Location: Novosibirsk, Russia
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833
x 1076

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby neofight78 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Ani wrote:Can I ask you how you kept track of lemmas? Was it a particular style of cards in Anki for reference/review? I was always super impressed to read your ability related to #of lemmas as you progressed.


Yep, Anki was my primary way of learning words, I just used the mature notes count on my vocabulary deck to see where I was at.
1 x

Online
User avatar
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Posts: 1515
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:52 pm
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773
x 2893

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:29 pm

Ani wrote:I feel like the forum is super quiet the last couple days.. maybe I'm just checking in too often :) Hopefully everyone is out enjoying a lovely weekend.


My thought as well! Usually I have two pages of topics with unread posts whenever I visit the forum. Now it's almost 24 hours since my last visit, and only one page! The horror! :shock:
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

User avatar
Ani
Brown Belt
Posts: 1281
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:58 am
Location: Alaska
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)
x 3088
Contact:

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:03 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Ani wrote:I feel like the forum is super quiet the last couple days.. maybe I'm just checking in too often :) Hopefully everyone is out enjoying a lovely weekend.


My thought as well! Usually I have two pages of topics with unread posts whenever I visit the forum. Now it's almost 24 hours since my last visit, and only one page! The horror! :shock:


You know you're a language nerd when.. only a page of new posts per day isn't enough! :)
5 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

User avatar
Gemuse
Orange Belt
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:29 pm
x 173

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Gemuse » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:04 am

Ani wrote:I'm having ridiculous wanderlust this last week or so..
...
Oh shiny things. How I love shiny things.


Hey Ani, have you considered (European) Portuguese?
Since you already know French, it should be easy for you. Two for the price of one (or price of 1.25).

See how much you can understand the A2 audio here:
https://www.lidel.pt/pt/catalogo/portug ... ersitario/

(Password: Lidel)

I have a colleague who know French, and she said she can understand quite a bit (she has not studied Portuguese before).
0 x

User avatar
Ani
Brown Belt
Posts: 1281
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:58 am
Location: Alaska
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)
x 3088
Contact:

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:44 am

Gemuse wrote:
Ani wrote:I'm having ridiculous wanderlust this last week or so..
...
Oh shiny things. How I love shiny things.


Hey Ani, have you considered (European) Portuguese?
Since you already know French, it should be easy for you. Two for the price of one (or price of 1.25).

See how much you can understand the A2 audio here:
https://www.lidel.pt/pt/catalogo/portug ... ersitario/

(Password: Lidel)

I have a colleague who know French, and she said she can understand quite a bit (she has not studied Portuguese before).


Hmm I can't find a sample link on that page?
I have thought about Portuguese.. not in particular European vs Brazilian. But really it's the last thing I need right now lol. DH wants to go to Milan in November and my cousin is getting married in Italy next year (and I have no idea if we'll be invited or if it will be small but I desperately want to go lol). So if I'm expanding the romance languages, it will be Italian before any others. I did used to speak some Italian as a child so it shouldn't be too hard, but I completely forgot everything and I'm literally starting at zero with basically just a discount from French.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

User avatar
Gemuse
Orange Belt
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:29 pm
x 173

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Gemuse » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:50 am

Ani wrote:Hmm I can't find a sample link on that page?


Click on Downloads.

Portuguese will be easier to learn than Italian. True story.
0 x

User avatar
Ani
Brown Belt
Posts: 1281
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:58 am
Location: Alaska
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)
x 3088
Contact:

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:00 am

Gemuse wrote:
Ani wrote:Hmm I can't find a sample link on that page?


Click on Downloads.

Portuguese will be easier to learn than Italian. True story.


I can understand a bit, and infer a little more because the dialogs are pretty basic.
IDK . I could understand Italian up until about 10 years ago even if I haven't spoken it for about 10 more years than that.. it might count for something in the end.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

User avatar
Gemuse
Orange Belt
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:29 pm
x 173

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Gemuse » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:30 am

Ani wrote:I did used to speak


:mrgreen: :?
Toddler(s) effect?
0 x

User avatar
Ani
Brown Belt
Posts: 1281
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:58 am
Location: Alaska
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)
x 3088
Contact:

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:36 am

Gemuse wrote:
Ani wrote:I did used to speak


:mrgreen: :?
Toddler(s) effect?


Meh.. I consider that a perfectly valid construction :)
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.


Return to “Language logs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Deinonysus, Mooby and 1 guest