Ani's 2018 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby cjareck » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Ani wrote:On my phone I use the app, not the browser and it says "TTS not supported on your device" just for Icelandic. I guess this is because I don't have an Icelandic TTS voice installed. Haven't been able to figure out where to get one.

Sound strange if this is only for Islandic. Nevertheless, I tried it with web and app, and there was no TTS on both of them. But I would like to encourage you to open Clozemaster wit Web Browser on your phone. Such a solution may help since the problem may be with the app.
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:28 pm

eido wrote:You found Supernatural? Yay! I wonder if Sam and Dean have lovely voices in French. With a language like French and a good voice, it would be a dynamite combo.

I did! It took a few days of searching although I think it shouldnt've have been that hard. The voices are pretty good but like most things, I find if you've gotten attached to a show in one language it's takes a while to get used to the change.

cjareck wrote:Sound strange if this is only for Islandic. Nevertheless, I tried it with web and app, and there was no TTS on both of them. But I would like to encourage you to open Clozemaster wit Web Browser on your phone. Such a solution may help since the problem may be with the app.

Err.. you're totally right :) the web browser has the TTS voice. I guess I just need to use it that way from now on. Thanks!

Netflix is back in my good graces after I searched on the website by language and realized a few shows that never had French before do have it now. I'm watching Good Witch in French, which is basically like the Gilmore girls with a mom who's a witch and a daughter who gets premonitions.. I need a boring show before bed. As I've mentioned before in a huge wimp and even Supernatural is too scary for me right before bed :)
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Ani wrote:I'm having a similar problem in Russian except that I've gone over the case tables, but just don't have anything memorized or terribly clear. I wonder if I can apply the Dowling Method to Russian? But unfortunately I don't know enough about Russian to know if it's sensible or gives similar effect.

I'd recommend practicing / memorising example sentences (culled from grammar books or the LearnRT course). Take one case/gender at a time otherwise you will be overwhelmed. Just take your time and work though it all slowly. Also make sure you are reading / listening to the language so you also get a feel for the cases too. Don't rush, give yourself time to go through it all.
4 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:43 pm

neofight78 wrote:
Ani wrote:I'm having a similar problem in Russian except that I've gone over the case tables, but just don't have anything memorized or terribly clear. I wonder if I can apply the Dowling Method to Russian? But unfortunately I don't know enough about Russian to know if it's sensible or gives similar effect.

I'd recommend practicing / memorising example sentences (culled from grammar books or the LearnRT course). Take one case/gender at a time otherwise you will be overwhelmed. Just take your time and work though it all slowly. Also make sure you are reading / listening to the language so you also get a feel for the cases too. Don't rush, give yourself time to go through it all.

Thanks that's a great idea. Can I ask you how you kept track of lemmas? Was it a particular style of cards in Anki for reference/review? I was always super impressed to read your ability related to #of lemmas as you progressed.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:42 am

I feel like the forum is super quiet the last couple days.. maybe I'm just checking in too often :) Hopefully everyone is out enjoying a lovely weekend. Or you're all locked in your rooms' doing the language jam. I'm kind of glad I didn't see that until it was too late. Absolutely last thing I need right now but so terribly tempting.

Pretty much finished the first season of Good Witch in a day and change.. The dubbing is a little odd but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I thought maybe it was done for Canada, but after a quick search I don't think that pans out. Oh well.
Also made it to 4th place on the Russian from English leaderboard for the week on Clozemaster. I feel like I'm cheating because it's mostly all the first 100 words, and at that the 1000+ sentences I've done aren't evenly divided over those 100 words. The vast majority of the answers are сказал or думаю and since the words to be practiced are such a limited set, only one or possibly two from he multiple choice can actually be answers. Leaderboard guilt aside, I think the course is really helping. It also gives me the chance to be ridiculously proud of myself when I can fill in an answer correctly for a word I learned by watching tv.
I have also attained my longest streak ever on Clozemaster today -- 5 whole days.

I'm having ridiculous wanderlust this last week or so.. but I'm actually really enjoying all my languages for a minute, and I have (nearly) realistic goals or plans for each that make me feel good. I really really don't need more and yet.... Oh shiny things. How I love shiny things.
6 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Ani wrote:Can I ask you how you kept track of lemmas? Was it a particular style of cards in Anki for reference/review? I was always super impressed to read your ability related to #of lemmas as you progressed.

Yep, Anki was my primary way of learning words, I just used the mature notes count on my vocabulary deck to see where I was at.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:29 pm

Ani wrote:I feel like the forum is super quiet the last couple days.. maybe I'm just checking in too often :) Hopefully everyone is out enjoying a lovely weekend.

My thought as well! Usually I have two pages of topics with unread posts whenever I visit the forum. Now it's almost 24 hours since my last visit, and only one page! The horror! :shock:
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:03 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Ani wrote:I feel like the forum is super quiet the last couple days.. maybe I'm just checking in too often :) Hopefully everyone is out enjoying a lovely weekend.

My thought as well! Usually I have two pages of topics with unread posts whenever I visit the forum. Now it's almost 24 hours since my last visit, and only one page! The horror! :shock:

You know you're a language nerd when.. only a page of new posts per day isn't enough! :)
5 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:04 am

Ani wrote:I'm having ridiculous wanderlust this last week or so..
Oh shiny things. How I love shiny things.

Hey Ani, have you considered (European) Portuguese?
Since you already know French, it should be easy for you. Two for the price of one (or price of 1.25).

See how much you can understand the A2 audio here:
https://www.lidel.pt/pt/catalogo/portug ... ersitario/

(Password: Lidel)

I have a colleague who know French, and she said she can understand quite a bit (she has not studied Portuguese before).
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:44 am

Gemuse wrote:
Ani wrote:I'm having ridiculous wanderlust this last week or so..
Oh shiny things. How I love shiny things.

Hey Ani, have you considered (European) Portuguese?
Since you already know French, it should be easy for you. Two for the price of one (or price of 1.25).

See how much you can understand the A2 audio here:
https://www.lidel.pt/pt/catalogo/portug ... ersitario/

(Password: Lidel)

I have a colleague who know French, and she said she can understand quite a bit (she has not studied Portuguese before).

Hmm I can't find a sample link on that page?
I have thought about Portuguese.. not in particular European vs Brazilian. But really it's the last thing I need right now lol. DH wants to go to Milan in November and my cousin is getting married in Italy next year (and I have no idea if we'll be invited or if it will be small but I desperately want to go lol). So if I'm expanding the romance languages, it will be Italian before any others. I did used to speak some Italian as a child so it shouldn't be too hard, but I completely forgot everything and I'm literally starting at zero with basically just a discount from French.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”