Ani's 2018 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:58 am

aravinda wrote:..

Thank you so much for taking the time to post that!! That looks really great. I love that workbook. I'll have to stick it on my wish list for myself or for my son if his materials fall short, or he decides for sure he wants to head toward ancient Greek.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Denzagathist
Yellow Belt
Languages: .
Native: English
C1+: Español, Hrvatski
~C1: Deutsch, Français, Português
~B2: Ελληνικά, Türkçe, 日本語

Studies:
Italiano, 中文, فارسی
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8516

Postby Denzagathist » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:20 am

aravinda wrote:I know this comes late and you have already found what you want. I was meaning to mention the following resources but I forgot. I used this site for writing practice when I dabbled in Ancient Greek sometime back. Of course, it's NT Greek not modern Greek but I guess one could you use it for writing practice.
[...]
Having not studied Modern Greek I'm not sure how useful they are though.

Modern and Ancient Greek both use the exact same alphabet, so if all your son needs is to practice the letters then those resources should be just fine, even though some words will be different. The only difference in Modern Greek orthography is that there are fewer diacritics; there is only one accent mark used (΄, άέήίόύώ, Ά Έ Ή Ί Ό Ύ Ώ) to indicate the position of stress, as opposed the to numerous types used in Ancient Greek to mark pitch accents, and the "breathing marks" are no longer used at all.

For example, using some of the words in the pictures that aravinda posted:
Ancient: ἱστορία Modern: ιστορία
Ancient: τραγῳδία Modern: τραγωδία
Ancient: Ἀθῆναι Modern: Αθήνα

ΕDIT: Forgot to mention that Modern Greek does occasionally also use a diaeresis (¨, ϊϋ) in order to indicate that two adjacent unstressed vowels do not form a diphthong*, e.g. παιδάκι /peˈðaki/ 'small child', vs. παϊδάκί /paiˈðaki/ 'cutlet (of meat)'. The diaeresis can also combine with the stress mark (΅) if the second of the two vowels is also stressed: e.g. ταΐζω /taˈizo/.
(* Not a real diphthong in the technical sense. In the context of Modern Greek orthography, it means two vowel letters that jointly form one vowel sound when written next to one another, e.g. α /a/ + ι /i/ = αι /e/.)
5 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:24 am

Denzagathist wrote:Modern and Ancient Greek both use the exact same alphabet, so if all your son needs is to practice the letters then those resources should be just fine, even though some words will be different. The only difference in Modern Greek orthography is that there are fewer diacritics; there is only one accent mark used (΄, άέήίόύώ, Ά Έ Ή Ί Ό Ύ Ώ) to indicate the position of stress, as opposed the to numerous types used in Ancient Greek to mark pitch accents, and the "breathing marks" are no longer used at all.

For example, using some of the words in the pictures that aravinda posted:
Ancient: ἱστορία Modern: ιστορία
Ancient: τραγῳδία Modern: τραγωδία
Ancient: Ἀθῆναι Modern: Αθήνα

ΕDIT: Forgot to mention that Modern Greek does occasionally also use a diaeresis (¨, ϊϋ) in order to indicate that two adjacent unstressed vowels do not form a diphthong*, e.g. παιδάκι /peˈðaki/ 'small child', vs. παϊδάκί /paiˈðaki/ 'cutlet (of meat)'. The diaeresis can also combine with the stress mark (΅) if the second of the two vowels is also stressed: e.g. ταΐζω /taˈizo/.
(* Not a real diphthong in the technical sense. In the context of Modern Greek orthography, it means two vowel letters that jointly form one vowel sound when written next to one another, e.g. α /a/ + ι /i/ = αι /e/.)

Great post. This is really helpful to know. Thank you :) I really have no idea what I'm doing "teaching" (more like guiding) Greek and all this information really helps.

---------

Couple days in bed and I got more studying done than in the last month. It's kind of a lame sickness because I'm perfectly fine as long as I lay still for a while, but as soon as I move I remember I'm sick :-/ Hopefully better tomorrow.

I managed 1000 reps on Glossika in... Italian. :-/. 500 in Icelandic. Did a bunch of Icelandic on Clozemaster but it doesn't have TTS on my phone so only the typing is of value I think without it. Have to sit at a computer to get the TTS. Lots of Russian that I talked about in my shiny new Russian log. .. that I should link to.. but I might be too lazy...

Managed a little reading and a little watching Supernatural en français, but not much.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

cjareck
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:17 am

Ani wrote: Did a bunch of Icelandic on Clozemaster but it doesn't have TTS on my phone, so only the typing is of value I think without it. Have to sit at a computer to get the TTS.

Are you sure? Perhaps a simple trick will help - just open the Clozemaster webpage with your phone's browser and set "stationary mode" (or something like that) in the preferences and "Clozemaster" should "think" that you are working on the computer. I was doing something similar with Duolingo once.
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

FSI Hebrew Basic Course
: 31 / 40

DLI MSA Basic Course
: 6 / 140

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:00 pm

cjareck wrote:
Ani wrote: Did a bunch of Icelandic on Clozemaster but it doesn't have TTS on my phone, so only the typing is of value I think without it. Have to sit at a computer to get the TTS.

Are you sure? Perhaps a simple trick will help - just open the Clozemaster webpage with your phone's browser and set "stationary mode" (or something like that) in the preferences and "Clozemaster" should "think" that you are working on the computer. I was doing something similar with Duolingo once.

On my phone I use the app, not the browser and it says "TTS not supported on your device" just for Icelandic. I guess this is because I don't have an Icelandic TTS voice installed. Haven't been able to figure out where to get one.
0 x

eido
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1), dabbling in others

Postby eido » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:00 pm

You found Supernatural? Yay! I wonder if Sam and Dean have lovely voices in French. With a language like French and a good voice, it would be a dynamite combo.
1 x

cjareck
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Ani wrote:On my phone I use the app, not the browser and it says "TTS not supported on your device" just for Icelandic. I guess this is because I don't have an Icelandic TTS voice installed. Haven't been able to figure out where to get one.

Sound strange if this is only for Islandic. Nevertheless, I tried it with web and app, and there was no TTS on both of them. But I would like to encourage you to open Clozemaster wit Web Browser on your phone. Such a solution may help since the problem may be with the app.
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

FSI Hebrew Basic Course
: 31 / 40

DLI MSA Basic Course
: 6 / 140

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:28 pm

eido wrote:You found Supernatural? Yay! I wonder if Sam and Dean have lovely voices in French. With a language like French and a good voice, it would be a dynamite combo.

I did! It took a few days of searching although I think it shouldnt've have been that hard. The voices are pretty good but like most things, I find if you've gotten attached to a show in one language it's takes a while to get used to the change.

cjareck wrote:Sound strange if this is only for Islandic. Nevertheless, I tried it with web and app, and there was no TTS on both of them. But I would like to encourage you to open Clozemaster wit Web Browser on your phone. Such a solution may help since the problem may be with the app.

Err.. you're totally right :) the web browser has the TTS voice. I guess I just need to use it that way from now on. Thanks!

Netflix is back in my good graces after I searched on the website by language and realized a few shows that never had French before do have it now. I'm watching Good Witch in French, which is basically like the Gilmore girls with a mom who's a witch and a daughter who gets premonitions.. I need a boring show before bed. As I've mentioned before in a huge wimp and even Supernatural is too scary for me right before bed :)
0 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Ani wrote:I'm having a similar problem in Russian except that I've gone over the case tables, but just don't have anything memorized or terribly clear. I wonder if I can apply the Dowling Method to Russian? But unfortunately I don't know enough about Russian to know if it's sensible or gives similar effect.

I'd recommend practicing / memorising example sentences (culled from grammar books or the LearnRT course). Take one case/gender at a time otherwise you will be overwhelmed. Just take your time and work though it all slowly. Also make sure you are reading / listening to the language so you also get a feel for the cases too. Don't rush, give yourself time to go through it all.
4 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:43 pm

neofight78 wrote:
Ani wrote:I'm having a similar problem in Russian except that I've gone over the case tables, but just don't have anything memorized or terribly clear. I wonder if I can apply the Dowling Method to Russian? But unfortunately I don't know enough about Russian to know if it's sensible or gives similar effect.

I'd recommend practicing / memorising example sentences (culled from grammar books or the LearnRT course). Take one case/gender at a time otherwise you will be overwhelmed. Just take your time and work though it all slowly. Also make sure you are reading / listening to the language so you also get a feel for the cases too. Don't rush, give yourself time to go through it all.

Thanks that's a great idea. Can I ask you how you kept track of lemmas? Was it a particular style of cards in Anki for reference/review? I was always super impressed to read your ability related to #of lemmas as you progressed.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”