Ani's 2018 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:42 pm

Fortheo wrote:
Ani wrote:
Fortheo wrote:
If you ever find any really good fiction podcasts, please share! I seem to have a difficult time finding fiction podcasts in French.

Hihi :)
What kind of fiction podcast? Like the old radio broadcast stories? Of that's right or you can give an example I'll def keep an eye.

Kind of like audio dramas I suppose (to be honest I don't know what differentiates an audio drama from a podcast), so basically just any type of fiction story told in a series format, and if if it's an ongoing story across several episodes, then that's even better. In French, the closest thing I can think of that is like that would be

http://www.audiodramax.com/eden

Except Eden has extremely short episodes.

In English, there's quite a lot of fiction podcast that weave a complex story over several episodes like "The bright sessions", "lesser gods", or "the black tapes"

Thanks for keeping an eye open :D

Ok -- got it. I've never listened to anything like that but I think I'd like it!
I did Google quickly and found a thread on Reddit that linked to netophonix. That site has about 20 pages of audio dramas listed and linked. You can sort by"Bravos"
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:09 am

I can't believe it's the end of June. I should be counting up pages and minutes but umm. Confession time.. I didn't read anything this month. At least nothing substantial. I'm having a difficult time with this as "being a reader" is something I hold a part of my identity. Frankly these last couple months, I didn't feel like reading, and when I did I couldn't get into anything. Time? Fatigue? The fact that my mom is staying with me? Maybe all three. Oh and also the fact that We'rein the process of renovating a bedroom that will become the new master. Skim coating is my job. I spent about 20 hours on it this month (because I'm not very good at it haha). At least those 20h were almost entirely French podcasts.

Icelandic and Russian have largely been dropped in the last week since the French immersion school meeting. Icelandic is still the most fun thing for me, but I'm feeling the need to weed out all my French issues.
I am still going with Mauger when I have time to sit down but I've only gotten through lesson 17 :-/
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:54 am

Breaks are as important as everything else, and you seem to have a lot on your plate right now. You'll get back with a vengeance!

As for French, I don't know about you but I'll never weed out all my issues with it. It seduces me every time.
2 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Found another podcast I really like: Bons Plants
It's interviews with people about their gardens
Learned some new words:
Une bouture -- a cutting
L'engrais (m.) -- fertilizer
La motte - the root ball

I really should have read/listened more about gardening in French earlier. Plants make me so happy.
6 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:47 am

Got a couple weeks free of Glossika so I took a slight diversion and I've been working on FR-IT and EN-Icelandic (what's the a abbreviation for Icelandic?). I want to do some Russian but I own FR -RU so it's hard to motivate myself to work on that one in limited time. I did notice the Catalan course is free. I almost went and posted that directly in someone's log, but I know she should be studying something else and not adding new languages :-)

I did find another interesting podcast, from a language point of view. It's called Entre and it's an 11 year old girl talking about growing from child to adolescent. It took me a few minutes to get used to get voice. While she does speak fast sometimes, it's pretty easy to understand except for the childishness of the voice.
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:51 am

Ani wrote:Got a couple weeks free of Glossika so I took a slight diversion and I've been working on FR-IT and EN-Icelandic (what's the a abbreviation for Icelandic?).

I'd say it's "IS".
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:33 am

Ani wrote:
what's the a abbreviation for Icelandic?

Wikipedia > Icelandic language
See summary box for the various language codes.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:03 am

What happened to Middle Egyptian?
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:47 am

IronMike wrote:What happened to Middle Egyptian?

Oh DS and I are still working on it as part of school, but we're already falling behind because... Summer :-p. My parents leave tomorrow so hopefully we'll be caught up. We're still just getting started on chapter 2.
2 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:21 am

I laughed so much! Yes, summer does that sort of thing. I know what you mean! :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Return to “Language logs”