Ani's 2018 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Wed May 09, 2018 12:25 am

Cavesa wrote:It looks like you need Kaamelott :-)

Yes for sure. I just can't stand all the trumpeting for long sessions. I guess the later episodes are more long form -- I'll have to do that. :)
Elsa Maria wrote:I have thought myself a Charlotte Mason-style education in Danish.
Oh, and my youngest will be 27 this year. Yikes.

Oh that would be kind of fun! I love CM, more in theory than in practice. My kids have ultra long attention spans even in kindergarten, and really hate transitions so it didn't work out for us. I still use her work and curriculum as a guide though.

Would you go all out and do poetry, art, history, math, lit & nature study all in Danish? That sounds amazing... Oh and handwriting :)

Lawyer&Mom wrote:What would your fake degree be in? Literature, history, art? Lots of different subjects loan themselves to research and writing!

Choosing would be the hard part.. probably botany.. I also have a goal of drawing more this summer and I could tie that in. I could joyfully do physics. I'm kind of obsessed with Einstein Gravity. But I think it would be overly technical and French is not the ideal language to study it in. Likewise Nutrition Biology and Exercise Science, but that's a possibility. I really don't know anything about art and I'm hopeless at history so while I'm sure I could find a topic I'm interested in, it would be more of a highschool level endeavor :)

Well, no Clozemaster/LWT for me today. Someone of very short stature managed to put the computer mouse in the toilet this morning. <Sigh> Good thing for all those other apps
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed May 09, 2018 1:39 am

Ani wrote:

Elsa Maria wrote:I have thought myself a Charlotte Mason-style education in Danish.

Oh that would be kind of fun! I love CM, more in theory than in practice. My kids have ultra long attention spans even in kindergarten, and really hate transitions so it didn't work out for us. I still use her work and curriculum as a guide though.

Would you go all out and do poetry, art, history, math, lit & nature study all in Danish? That sounds amazing... Oh and handwriting :)

Ahem. Apparently I do not always know how to make a sentence in English. I have thought about giving myself a Charlotte Mason-style education in Danish. Really not sure how I lost a chunk of the sentence in my previous post :oops:

No math!! I will be prepping this summer to teach Calculus (in English). That's enough math for one summer!!
Last edited by Elsa Maria on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed May 09, 2018 4:59 am

Elsa Maria wrote:
Ani wrote:

Ahem. Apparently I do not always know how to make a sentence in English. I have thought about giving myself a Charlotte Mason-style education in Danish. Really not sure how I lost a chunk of the sentence in my previous post :oops:

No math!! I will be prepping this summer to teach Calculus (in English) to my son. That's enough math for one summer!!

Oh I read it just fine anyway. -- Calculus!! What text are you going to use? Do you use AOPS? I have a fondness for Stewart as I used his first edition text for all 4 years of undergraduate but it's probably not the best for a first course.

We should make a CM accountability thread and require posting pictures of our daily (or however often) work & writings, even if it's just 15 minutes copying a poem or whatever.. Maybe a 6-8 week summer mission?
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed May 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Ani, I'll tell you a bit about what we have done for math. For context, I have an engineering degree and my homeschool student is a humanities kid.

The sequence was:

AoPs Pre-Algebra (7th grade)
Foerster Algebra (8th grade)
Jacob's Geometry (9th grade)
Foerster Algebra II (10th grade)
Derek Owens Precalculus (11th grade)

I've been on the fence about whether we should go with Calculus or Statistics for the next year (senior year). But the fact that we both love Derek Owens tilted me toward Calculus. I'm trying to keep as many doors open as possible. Even though at the moment it appears more likely that my student will take Stats in college rather than Calc, I want to give the exposure to Calc. And if they go in a direction that requires Economics, they will greatly benefit from the high school Calculus.

With Derek Owens, I am doing the grading. I have forgotten tons of my math, but it is easy enough for me. For Precalculus, I have just had to stay far enough ahead of my kid that I can help them if they get stuck. But I do feel the need to prepare myself more for our Calculus year. I'm going to read through my old text (Anton). And I have Forgotten Calculus on hand. I think that and starting the Derek Owens ahead of my student will suffice.
Last edited by Elsa Maria on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
4 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri May 11, 2018 1:49 am

Elsa Maria wrote:Ani, I'll tell you a bit about what we have done for math. For context, I have an engineering degree and my homeschool student is a humanities guy.

His sequence was:

AoPs Pre-Algebra (7th grade)
Foerster Algebra (8th grade)
Jacob's Geometry (9th grade)
Foerster Algebra II (10th grade)
Derek Owens Precalculus (11th grade)

I've been on the fence about whether we should go with Calculus or Statistics for the next year (his senior year). But the fact that we both love Derek Owens tilted me toward Calculus. I'm trying to keep as many doors open as possible. Even though at the moment it appears more likely that he will take Stats in college rather than Calc, I want to give him the exposure to Calc. And if he goes in a direction that requires Economics, he will greatly benefit from the high school Calculus.

With Derek Owens, I am doing the grading. I have forgotten tons of my math, but it is easy enough for me. For Precalculus, I have just had to stay far enough ahead of my kid that I can help him if he gets stuck. But I do feel the need to prepare myself more for our Calculus year. I'm going to read through my old text (Anton). And I have Forgotten Calculus on hand. I think that and starting the Derek Owens ahead of my son will suffice.

That's awesome. I've been eyeing Derek Owens for years. Math is the one subject I never wanted to outsource because I love it and love teaching it, but with 5 kids it is becoming very obvious that I'll have to outsource some of it. There is no way I can spend an hour a day with each kid just on math. My oldest is not an AoPS kid at all, although I have hope for at least one of my younger ones :)
====

DH got me a new mouse so I can do my LWT again :) He's off bear hunting so hopefully I'll find some time.
I'm really liking the Alaric Hall course but the mistakes the female student makes are really getting to me. Since she often tries 2 or even 3 guesses before getting the phrase right, I find that I'm hearing significantly more wrong words than right words. I'm trying to counter with a very thorough study in IO, which is my only other resource that is covering grammar/sentence construction. And I will definitely need to go through a really good *something* on pronunciation right after.

I did jump ahead in Drops today though so I could learn fantasty terms like ghost, vampire, genie, witch, wizard, etc. :) I took much greater joy in that than I expected. It finally feels like I could learn enough words to read a story or do something interesting in Icelandic. Not that those 10 words changed anything, but I was more bored than I wanted to admit learning about Ewa go to work at the nursing home in IO

I did also get my act together for French Super Challenge and start reading a new novel. Goal is just to finish this one novel before the end of the month, while I finish up my other English books, and maybe I'll make a more aggressive reading goal for next month.
0 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt

Postby Elsa Maria » Fri May 11, 2018 2:55 pm

Once we got to high school math, the text did most of the teaching. I became more of a tutor. The thing with Derek Owens is that the video lessons are the primary means of instruction and the text is a supplement. I don't even think there is a text for his Calculus course.

I watch every video and I fill out my own workbook. I also do selected problems. I need to be 100% sure that I can QUICKLY help him if he gets stuck. Beyond Algebra II, I felt that my skills were too rusty to do that without putting in my own time into the math. The way we use Derek Owens doesn't actually save me any time :) But we have lots of other outsourcing and I only have one student, so it works out fine for us.

OK, back to languages.
3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sat May 12, 2018 12:02 am

Some of this discussion about science/math would be great in the Homeschoolers United thread. Just sayin' ;)
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat May 12, 2018 2:09 am

IronMike wrote:Some of this discussion about science/math would be great in the Homeschoolers United thread. Just sayin' ;)

We could definitely do that. I don't know how far we're supposed to stray from languages in regards to homeschooling but I should probably hop over there and post about teaching Greek and whatever else I taught my daughter this year and our plans going forward.

====

I learned words for flowers, words for prison (to like handcuffs, prison guard, jail break, etc) in Icelandic today. Also did bike terms that I need to go look up because I didn't know the French and probably don't even know the English. DH laughed at me when I asked if a bike has three different thingies that look like gears. Apparently so.

I'm just about to do my Russian Drops. I'm not quite as far along so I'm still doing foods I think. Was thinking about doing Michel Thomas Russian... Not sure yet:-/

Viltu Læra Íslandku #2 ís about going to the dentist I don't think I can watch it as much as the first. I did it twice but I think I'm going to move on to the 3rd tout de suite.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat May 12, 2018 5:33 am

I'm having significant internet using problems today. I think I'm severely over tired. Two babies with colds will do that.. or just two babies in general.

I'm also wasting a lot of time. I think it goes with being tired.. decreased brain function or something.

I made this nice progress bar garden for my log.... Just look at the beginning and the end and don't pay any attention to crazy bars in the middle...

Super Challenge Progress Bar Garden:
1/2 Icelandic, 1/2 Russian, whole French
: 1 / 50 Icelandic Films:
: 0 / 50 Icelandic Books:
: 1 / 50 Russian Films:
: 0 / 50 Russian Books:
: 1 / 100 French Films:
: 1 / 100 French Books:

I had to scare a bear off a few minutes ago. He was closer than I've ever been to one I think, right up close to my house under the car port. Admittedly I was torn between taking pictures and scaring him away. Lovely bear. He was up on my friend's porch a few minutes before he came to my house. That's too comfortable with humans. His eventual fate is not good.
4 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat May 12, 2018 7:14 am

8-) Nothing to see here, nothing to see. Just a few small little things in the garden, nothing noticeable...

Sometimes I forget you live where you do and then suddenly you just casually mention that your husband went bear hunting or that you had to scare a bear away and it's like :shock: I mostly just have to scare squirrels off the bird food.
4 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Language logs”