Ani's 2018 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:06 am

Neurotip wrote:
Ani wrote:No I was lying, it's easy and fun and you'll learn like magic :-p
hehe no but truthfully I have auditory processing difficulty (like I'm probably in the bottom 20% of the population) and I think the first time I've really felt it fully is trying to learn to read with a new alphabet.

Ohhh, that makes sense. I'm luckier in that respect -- but I have a truly woeful sense of direction... :)

.. You say to the girl who uses GPS to go anywhere in Alaska, the state with one road. ;)

========

So guys.. been loving Icelandic. Truly. Uhm.. think I'm doomed on the super challenge.

I picked up the book Stormfuglar. It's a fictional story about trawlers, who I think end up on the cost of the Netherlands. Who doesn't love a good sea yarn. I thought I would be clever and pop a page into Google translate, go back through and isolate sentence parts, match vocab, etc.

For your reading pleasure, I offer you the first page of Stormfuglar in an original and uplifting translation by none other than our very own Google Translate, folks.
Stormfuglar as translated by Google wrote:Smashing ice-cream from a ship can seem at first glance like an uninviting task: the ice cream does not just look like glass but it's also glass-hard, and when it's like this, it's no like a thin glass of glass that a kid can cuddle with a rock-throat, it's like a giant crystal sculpture that bumps and collapses in all sorts, as an artistic craftsman has shaped his beauty, but basically takes shape of the shape of the ship, and first and foremost what's stuck to the carcass; the winds big in front of the control panel form large, rounded lines, less on a small mountain or ski slopes, the iron out of the tires for the fish can make the skies in America clear, the railings over the tops have become loose garden walls, wires and rods that are usually no more than The fingers of a good boatman now have a circumference with the clay pipes, the ropes of the ships on both sides have clay balls, as well as the bodywork and everything on the boat deck; including what was supposed to save us; lifeboat. And then it's the elevation at the front of the ship, the whale bin with its guns and winds, it's all glacier rock, might be Bárðarbungan in Vatnajökull where Geysir's plane broke a few years ago, but the people were found alive many days later after most people thought so of; and the spring after, when she had to check the machine and the cargo she had taken, she had disappeared into the ice-cave of the glacier, which was constantly thickening, as did the US military's airplane

I'm doomed..
5 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:42 am

Ani wrote:For your reading pleasure, I offer you the first page of Stormfuglar in an original and uplifting translation by none other than our very own Google Translate, folks.
Stormfuglar as translated by Google wrote:Smashing ice-cream from a ship can seem at first glance like an uninviting task: the ice cream does not just look like glass but it's also glass-hard, and when it's like this, it's no like a thin glass of glass that a kid can cuddle with a rock-throat, it's like a giant crystal sculpture that bumps and collapses in all sorts, as an artistic craftsman has shaped his beauty, but basically takes shape of the shape of the ship, and first and foremost what's stuck to the carcass; the winds big in front of the control panel form large, rounded lines, less on a small mountain or ski slopes, the iron out of the tires for the fish can make the skies in America clear, the railings over the tops have become loose garden walls, wires and rods that are usually no more than The fingers of a good boatman now have a circumference with the clay pipes, the ropes of the ships on both sides have clay balls, as well as the bodywork and everything on the boat deck; including what was supposed to save us; lifeboat. And then it's the elevation at the front of the ship, the whale bin with its guns and winds, it's all glacier rock, might be Bárðarbungan in Vatnajökull where Geysir's plane broke a few years ago, but the people were found alive many days later after most people thought so of; and the spring after, when she had to check the machine and the cargo she had taken, she had disappeared into the ice-cave of the glacier, which was constantly thickening, as did the US military's airplane

I'm doomed..

I kind of read the first two sentences, then skipped to "the US military's airplane" and had to be like, "woah, wait, back up a sec".

Good luck. You like a ... rounded? experience. :lol:
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:01 pm

Ani wrote:
Google Translate wrote:it's like a giant crystal sculpture that bumps and collapses in all sorts

That has to be the best description of the Icelandic language I've ever heard.
1 x
Corrections welcome here

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:12 am

I had a really lousy day today :(
I've been volunteering for a program for 5 years now. The program just reached a milestone and awards were given out to everyone currently involved. I recently disagreed with the director on something and she "forgot" to recognize me today. I texted her later and she kinda flippantly gave a "oh sorry I forgot you. I have your award to give you." I'm really not sure if I'm overly sensitive but I found it both embarrassing and hurtful and it ruined a lot more of my day than I should have let it.

This and another experience made me realize how much I love this forum. I was talking to a friend (not close, but I work with him in this program and he's my husband friend) and we were talking about Lost In Space. It came up that I had watched in French so I didn't know if there was any language in the original re: letting kids watch it. He asked if I meant with English subtitles and when I said no he ended with (good naturedly) calling me a show off. I really wasn't trying to show off and I tried really hard not to mention it. I find I spend most of my conversations with people trying not to talk about things I know, what I can do, or what I'm interested in. It kinda sucks. I frequently I see someone in the afternoon and they say "what are you up to today?" The real answer might go something like," Spent 45 minutes solving this really interesting math problem, while I stared at some bottles thinking about the composition of a new drawing, read a bunch of stuff on physics.stackexchange then I listened to a couple YouTube videos on Ayahuasca & then read a couple papers on similarities in brain activity with mediation(in French), after that I learned Russian vocab, started a new Icelandic course, shopped for French books for my preschooler on Amazon, and listened to a French audio book while I ran around and made lunch & cleaned up the kitchen." .... But instead of saying any portion of that, I say something like "oh just enjoying the beautiful day!" Because otherwise I'd get a confused stare and "oh..huh..." ... Or they'd ask a couple questions and my answer would land us back at "oh" ...

The times I can have a real conversation without trying to hide my thoughts or myself are so few and far between. Few times a year maybe? I just love this forum so much. You guys are my sanity.

Also, a celebration is in order because:
Screenshot_20180603-202507.png

Yay for me. First course down. My one little joy today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
9 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:34 am

Ani wrote:For your reading pleasure, I offer you the first page of Stormfuglar in an original and uplifting translation by none other than our very own Google Translate, folks.

I'm doomed..

Superb effort from Google roboto-chan! This actually made me laugh out loud enough for my wife, who's currently putting our little daughter to bed in the other room, to hear the commotion and ask what's so funny. I lamely replied, "it's hard to put into words". ;)
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:07 am

Teango wrote:Superb effort from Google roboto-chan! This actually made me laugh out loud enough for my wife, who's currently putting our little daughter to bed in the other room, to hear the commotion and ask what's so funny. I lamely replied, "it's hard to put into words". ;)

Hehe. Glad it gave you a laugh. Sounds like you had the same trouble as google ;) Not sure I've ever seen a text mangled that badly.:)
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:33 pm

Ani wrote:This and another experience made me realize how much I love this forum. ... . I really wasn't trying to show off and I tried really hard not to mention it. I find I spend most of my conversations with people trying not to talk about things I know, what I can do, or what I'm interested in. It kinda sucks. ...
The times I can have a real conversation without trying to hide my thoughts or myself are so few and far between. Few times a year maybe? I just love this forum so much. You guys are my sanity.

Yay for me. First course down. My one little joy today.

1.YAAAAAYYYY for you!!! You are awesome! Was the course fun and useful?

2.Your director is just the kind of a person that shouldn't direct anything. A disagreement, even a fierce one, should not lead to such a mean action (and nope, I don't think you are overreacting even a little bit. Stuff like this may not be the end of the world, yetit hurts), any director is supposed to keep this kind of emotion in check. I don't know whether it counts but I admire you a lot despite not knowing what kind of a project that was. Volunteering anywhere regularly for five years is a huge accomplishment and inspiration to all of us! I can't imagine how are you doing this. Being a mom of five (?) and wife, homeschooling, doing lots of other important stuff, and volunteering on top of all that, how is that even possible!

3.Welcome to my childhood :-D "so, you shouldn't have learnt it in advance, if you are bored now." "hah, you're a walking encyclopedia" (it was not said in a nice tone usually. and those were times before Google and Wikipedia). And you can continue listing similar reactions to my "showing off", when I was just being myself a bit. And the saddest part: the adults were even worse than the children. Probably the worst kinds of comments were those "well meant" attempts to teach me that other values are much more important than being clever (which was probably my only "quality" in their eyes). You are great at sports? Awesome, health and having fun is important. Your IQ may not be high but your Emotional Intelligence and social skills are stunning? You are a wonderful person. You do horribly at school but draw nicely? Cool, you are an artist. But when you happen to just be intelligent and curious? You shouldn't show off and spend all your time memorising facts to show off like a circus monkey (because that is obviously the only way to learn something).

A part of growing up was learning to get hurt much less by this attitude. And sometimes to show off on purpose, so that the people around me learn to tell those two situations apart :-D :-D :-D But it is still sometimes unpleasant, you are absolutely right.

Fortunately, there is this community and sometimes beautiful islands of freedom in the real life too. Truth be told, even the opposite situation can be disheartening. You are hiiiiiiigh above the average, then you get among the supergifted and superclever and supersuccessful kids, and you grow up with low confidence and no way to fix it by your achievements, because the only thing that could take you above the new average would be a Nobel prize :-D

So, this community is exactly the right balance of everything. Supportive, when it comes to our low moments, cheerful and appreciative, when it comes to presenting our intellectual hobbies. There is always someone to look up to, but also people around my/your/anyone's level at something, for friendly competition.
8 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:12 pm

Ani wrote:" Spent 45 minutes solving this really interesting math problem, while I stared at some bottles thinking about the composition of a new drawing,

I envy your multitasking ability.

So, what math problem was this? :mrgreen:
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:25 pm

Ani wrote:
Hehe. :)

Too late Ani. I *know*.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:16 am

reineke wrote:
Ani wrote:
Hehe. :)

Too late Ani. I *know*.

Some days you get really sleepy and place value is just really hard...

Gemuse wrote:
Ani wrote:" Spent 45 minutes solving this really interesting math problem, while I stared at some bottles thinking about the composition of a new drawing,

I envy your multitasking ability.

So, what math problem was this? :mrgreen:

This is just a hypothetical day :) I'm not really sure I can multitask.. it might just be an illusion.

Cavesa wrote:
1.YAAAAAYYYY for you!!! You are awesome! Was the course fun and useful?

2.Your director is just the kind of a person that shouldn't direct anything. A disagreement, even a fierce one, should not lead to such a mean action (and nope, I don't think you are overreacting even a little bit. Stuff like this may not be the end of the world, yetit hurts), any director is supposed to keep this kind of emotion in check. I don't know whether it counts but I admire you a lot despite not knowing what kind of a project that was. Volunteering anywhere regularly for five years is a huge accomplishment and inspiration to all of us! I can't imagine how are you doing this. Being a mom of five (?) and wife, homeschooling, doing lots of other important stuff, and volunteering on top of all that, how is that even possible!

3.Welcome to my childhood :-D "so, you shouldn't have learnt it in advance, if you are bored now." "hah, you're a walking encyclopedia" (it was not said in a nice tone usually. and those were times before Google and Wikipedia). And you can continue listing similar reactions to my "showing off", when I was just being myself a bit. And the saddest part: the adults were even worse than the children. Probably the worst kinds of comments were those "well meant" attempts to teach me that other values are much more important than being clever (which was probably my only "quality" in their eyes). You are great at sports? Awesome, health and having fun is important. Your IQ may not be high but your Emotional Intelligence and social skills are stunning? You are a wonderful person. You do horribly at school but draw nicely? Cool, you are an artist. But when you happen to just be intelligent and curious? You shouldn't show off and spend all your time memorising facts to show off like a circus monkey (because that is obviously the only way to learn something).

A part of growing up was learning to get hurt much less by this attitude. And sometimes to show off on purpose, so that the people around me learn to tell those two situations apart :-D :-D :-D But it is still sometimes unpleasant, you are absolutely right.

Fortunately, there is this community and sometimes beautiful islands of freedom in the real life too. Truth be told, even the opposite situation can be disheartening. You are hiiiiiiigh above the average, then you get among the supergifted and superclever and supersuccessful kids, and you grow up with low confidence and no way to fix it by your achievements, because the only thing that could take you above the new average would be a Nobel prize :-D

So, this community is exactly the right balance of everything. Supportive, when it comes to our low moments, cheerful and appreciative, when it comes to presenting our intellectual hobbies. There is always someone to look up to, but also people around my/your/anyone's level at something, for friendly competition.

I just went to give you the hugest hug and thank you. You get it.. you really get it. Before my decade of sleep deprivation, I never forgot anything ever ever. I had a teacher in 7th grade (12 years old maybe?) who asked me a question. I answered and he asked if I had written that information in my notebook. I said no, and in front of the class said, "oh.. I hate people like you. Store it all away like a f*****g computer" ... And my mom used to just look at me when I'd get on some intellectual binge and say "when I imagined what my future kids would be like, I never imagined they'd be like you" which was meant nicely but never felt it.
I've often thought that I should give up my "silly hobbies" for a Nobel prize worthy pursuit :) but I'd probably be sure that it was just hard work and a little luck that anybody could have done so even that probably wouldn't "fix" me.:-p
3 x

Return to “Language logs”