Ani's 2018 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby cjareck » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:45 pm

Ani wrote:, and at some point in there I'll have to move house with 5 kids, probably alone.

In February, we were moving from a flat to a house with our 5 children. That was quite a complicated operation because we had to leave the flat about a week before we were allowed to move into the house. So we transported our stuff (and my books - there are a lot of them) to the house and lived like nomads in a temporary flat. THis was an experience!
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:11 pm

cjareck wrote:
Ani wrote:, and at some point in there I'll have to move house with 5 kids, probably alone.

In February, we were moving from a flat to a house with our 5 children. That was quite a complicated operation because we had to leave the flat about a week before we were allowed to move into the house. So we transported our stuff (and my books - there are a lot of them) to the house and lived like nomads in a temporary flat. THis was an experience!

Moving with kids is always so difficult! Even more so if you need to double your move by staying in temporary quarters. I haven't moved with 5 yet, but I can't seem to stay in any one place longer than 2 years so I moved with 4 and with 3 and with 2 and with 1 :-D The only upside this time is that we'll have professional movers that will pack for us too. I've never done it that way and I can only hope it will be less stressful.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:23 pm

We had partially professional movers and partially semi-professional. Nevertheless, I would never allow anyone to pack my books, especially the valuable ones. The latter were wrapped in newspaper, duck-taped and then put into a cardboard box. I was working 2-3 weeks before I finished. Since I grouped them - as far as it was possible - thematically and wrote the topic on each box, it was relatively easy to find the needed ones later. My wife at that time packed everything else, so had approximately the same job as awaits you ;)
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Professional movers are the best! Life changing! They are so freaking efficient and fast at packing. As they should be, since they do it every day!

Seriously, sit back and let them do all the work. It’s so much less stressful than packing yourself.
1 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:02 am

Ani wrote:Got any advice on how to adjust to coming back home?

Coming back from traveling is so hard, but especially with everything you're going through.

I would just say try to be present as much you can.

That's something I definitely struggle with when I come back home. Traveling can make it so much easier to be present. Everything is new and intense and vivid and out of the ordinary. It can be a blessing not knowing how things work in an unfamiliar place, so that to navigate you have to be fully engaged.

Back home, I find that there are so many routine things that I can do on autopilot, while mentally and emotionally I'm somewhere else. I can end up not fully experiencing what I'm doing and also not fully experiencing the thoughts or feelings that are coming up, just sort of bouncing back and forth between them.

What's helped me be more present is when I've had a regular activity where the intention is to do it mindfully and be present for it. There are lots of different forms it could take. Running or other exercise can be great for this. I've found sitting meditation to be really beneficial.

I find that when I do something like that regularly, it doesn't matter if I do the activity and it's a struggle to be mindful. It still kind of colors my day and I end up more present for the day's experiences and interactions and decisions.

The goal of this isn't to feel at peace or any other particular way, but just to kind of make room for what comes and be there with it.

One possibility, since you might be moving, I wonder if there are things you do regularly that are unique to where you live now and that you will maybe miss. Doing those things could be an opportunity to be mindful.

And I don't know if language learning could work in this way or if it's something else, but I like that it can be both a respite and a way to connect with places and people we care about. I find it really inspiring that you and your language exchange partner became good friends and met up when you were there. And learning Spanish is such a beautiful thing to do for your niece.
5 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:58 pm

jonm wrote:I would just say try to be present as much you can.

I knew you were the right person to ask. This really helped a lot. And I started using my French meditation app again (petite bamboo), which has the triple benefit of meditation, language practice & connection with the France I am missing.

I'm feeling a lot better. Forcing myself to study grammar again. Watching my Spanish cartoons and I'm giving Language Transfer Spanish a try, just like 5-10 minutes at a time....
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:26 am

Joyeux Noël à tous.
J'espère que vous avez été gâté et j'espère que vous avez tous bien profiter de votre côté.

il n'y a rien d'intéressant ici, sur le plan linguistique. Je commencerai un nouveau log dans quelques jours.

À plus...
6 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:23 am

0 x

Return to “Language logs”