Ani's 2018 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby rdearman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:04 am

With netflix you might want to login to the web-interface where your account is and change the language to French. When I did this (to Italian) it seemed to trigger Netflix to give me the option of Italian sub-titles for shows which had previously not shown Italian as an option.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:06 am

rdearman wrote:With netflix you might want to login to the web-interface where your account is and change the language to French. When I did this (to Italian) it seemed to trigger Netflix to give me the option of Italian sub-titles for shows which had previously not shown Italian as an option.

Thanks I'll look into that. I am set to French now though -- at least as far as my user profile goes. It's possible there's another setting I missed? It's worth looking at least..
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Yes, steering the thread completely away was not my intention, sorry if I did.

After all, teachers are teachers under any ideology. As a czech joke says: "a teacher, that is not a profession, that is a diagnoses" and it is often not meant as meanly as it sounds. I actually find this much more dignified than the usual "it is a calling and a noble purpose" which is just an argument for paying teachers badly. Some characteristics of teachers are more or less universal.

It is sometimes really hard to give the truthful answers to them, instead of the "correct" ones. I had clashes with several teachers due to this as my conscience couldn't bear saying and writing some stuff (and I am lucky to live in a country with freedom of speech, where a worse grade is the only consequence of having a "wrong" opinion). And it is not just me, my young sister has recently got a worse grade (Czech language and literature class) for her article on a book about someone with an autistic spectrum disorder. Unlike her teacher, my sister knows it is a spectrum and that not all the autists are Rain Men.

This is present everywhere and language classes are actually the trickiest, as they can touch a much wider range of subjects than the others. You won't get into social issues in a physics class usually. And during the language classes, you also have a disadvantage of limited skills in the language allowing you much less evasiveness and much less confidence to tell someone their question is inappropriate or their opinion is based on very limited experience. Perhaps the coursebooks should include stuff like "Excuse me, but your question is too personal" or "I see where you're coming from but cannot agree" much earlier :-D

It is definitely true the experience shapes people a lot and it doesn't end with just one generation. Every generation transfers their experience on the following ones in one form or another. That's why there are so many problems around here. The totalitarian regime didn't end completely in 1989. And contrary to popular belief, some of its remnants will not end even when everyone who was adult in 1989 dies.

This won't be a small globalised world in a long time. What we are seeing are just superficial signs, good or bad.

But as one of the good superficial signs, I want a full value Netflix with lots of language options everywhere!
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Ani wrote:I'm ready to cancel Netflix. Is there ANYTHING decent to watch right now in French, Russian or Icelandic audio? HELP!

I really want to watch Supernatural in French after thread discussion elsewhere but it's only English/Spanish on my Netflix. I feel like so much less is available in French than 6 months to a year ago. Even the new seasons of Pocoyo & Masha et Michka lack French..

I think I'm going to be like one of those crazy people who bought like 16 tape players & all the cassettes they could find when cassette tapes "died". I am going to need to stock DVD players, TV's with actual input plugs, and all the foreign language DVD's.... Apparently my language of interest has been predetermined for me. No use arguing with the state.

You may also want to either a) cancel Netflix and restart Canadian netflix, or b) VPN from a French location. I'm not sure which will work (or both?) but when we were in Moscow, we had "EU" Netflix and our subtitle choices were mostly Finnish with some things available in Russian. Our ISP was Moscow.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:25 pm

IronMike wrote:[
You may also want to either a) cancel Netflix and restart Canadian netflix, or b) VPN from a French location. I'm not sure which will work (or both?) but when we were in Moscow, we had "EU" Netflix and our subtitle choices were mostly Finnish with some things available in Russian. Our ISP was Moscow.

AFAIK, Netflix will change what you have available based on ISP without regards to where to signed up. I used to have a French VPN but like 2 years ago Netflix got smart to the VPNs and was blocking them as fast they could be restored. While lots of VPN companies focused on unblocking US Netflix for their customers, basically none of them bothered with France after that. I never tried Canada but that could be possible and more helpful with French content.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:13 am

Looks like I can get alternate languages if I go back to 1999 and get physical DVD's from Netflix lol. Maybe...

Glossika lost 200 reps on me :( it's almost unforgivable. It's like 35 minutes of work. <Sigh>

Haven't done much of anything this week. Pretty busy plus DH was home a day sick. He always messes up my study routine :)
1 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:12 am

RE: Netflix, I'm in the Netherlands and I tried to change my language and/or look for Russian audio but I'm out of luck as well (although I can set my language to Bulgarian :roll: ) Besides The Sniffer and 2 movies, there's nothing out there with Russian audio. Very frustrating.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:31 pm

brilliantyears wrote:RE: Netflix, I'm in the Netherlands and I tried to change my language and/or look for Russian audio but I'm out of luck as well (although I can set my language to Bulgarian :roll: ) Besides The Sniffer and 2 movies, there's nothing out there with Russian audio. Very frustrating.

I'm not disagreeing with you in spirit but Unogs says you might have Silverspoon and Locust? Unogs hasn't been very reliable lately but Silverspoon is a really great series of you by chance have it but missed it. I'm pretty bummed. It looked like Netflix was going the other way making more and more languages available for a while.
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:24 pm

I checked but unfortunately neither is available :(
1 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:29 pm

How about "Total Drama"? Cartoon show, six seasons. It's dubbed into Russian and available in US. It's not as good as Locust, but better than Sniffer or Silver Spoon. (Completely different genres but my opinion, anyway).
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Return to “Language logs”