Ani's 2018 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:18 pm

I'll really late on the uptake here, but I'm starting a new log for a new year. I really hate when logs get past a certain number of pages. No shortage of digital paper here I should hope :)

Last year was good but I think I could have done much better, especially in the second half (excepting the last two months). I kinda dropped the ball for a little while there.

I think I'm also going to try the weekly goals idea this time. Will be interesting to see how long I can keep it up :)

I also want to port over some of the discussion from my 2017 log, but I need to do that from a computer so it'll have to wait.

Saving the next post for books I read this year.. maybe I'll actually keep up on it this time :lol:

Last year's log:
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 513#p97513
Last edited by Ani on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Re: Ani's 2018 Log

Postby Ani » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 pm

Books Finished in 2018

Sookie Stackhouse#8 - Pire que la mort
Sookie Stackhouse#9 - Bel et bien mort
Sookie Stackhouse#10 Une mort certaine

Super Challenge Progress Bar Garden:
1/2 Icelandic, 1/2 Russian, whole French
: 1 / 50 Icelandic Films:
: 0 / 50 Icelandic Books:
: 1 / 50 Russian Films:
: 0 / 50 Russian Books:
: 1 / 100 French Films:
: 1 / 100 French Books:
Last edited by Ani on Sat May 12, 2018 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 am

So I sorta disappeared for a minute. The holidays were a very good kind of busy. I think I started Sookie Stackhouse tome 8 right around my birthday. It took me all the way until New year's to finish the first chapter, which is crazy as an introvert who reads for refuge. I was really *that* busy. And right after New year's I got a business idea and jumped in with both feet. I'll kind of excited still and I hope I'll get off the ground in the next couple months.

All this has made me realize how much I need to improve my time management and move away from lazy acquisition to deliberate practice. Lazy is fine when you have time but I've got goals right now.

I really want to jump on board with the Yuurei style weekly goals. Today is a Monday but in general I'll try to go Sunday to Sunday, posting on Sunday the work for the next week. I have no idea what I can realistically accomplish so this is actually great for a learning experience.

This week I want to:
French: Finish Pire que la mort
Review Grammaire Progressive débutant -- if there is anything that doesn't feel flawless I'm going to flag it for immediate correction. Next week I want to start doing the same with the intermédiaire book.
Watch two episodes of Dix Pour Cent

Russian: Review the first 5 lessons in Le Russe à votre rythme.
7 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:36 am

Well I just realized that the downside to weekly goals is that I only will feel obligated to post weekly, or when I've finished my goals. And that stinks because I like talking.
I'd say I'm about halfway through the goals I set. Planning to finish the rest tomorrow. I accidentally took on a project for my science club that is a bit too big for the time I have to give to it, and my pre-existing skill set. The kids want to make Tesla coils.. and they couldn't wait until the next meeting so they talked me into holding a special meeting on Sunday to make it happen. =/ .. Right.. So overworked mom needs to a.) figure out how to make tesla coils* with middle schoolers that are at least moderately safe b.) go find the parts needed c.) figure out how to teach this to the kids and d.) ideally make a test to be sure it is all going to work before Sunday afternoon. While my husband is out of town. Anyway this is a long way of saying that I have been a bit busy, but still trying to push along the other goals, and also to improve the language area of this extra project, I started learning about tesla coils in French. I'm taking my notes and will make myself write a summary all in French.

*technically, I think what we are making are actually called slayer exciters

Also, my mom had dinner with a Russian neighbor tonight, who recommended some resources for me. They are resources her husband used. Unfortunately, he learned a few phrases and then stopped completely, so I'm not sure if that is really ringing endorsement for them :) But I'll check it out when I get some time.
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:35 am

Ani wrote:... to improve the language area of this extra project, I started learning about tesla coils in French. I'm taking my notes and will make myself write a summary all in French.
That sounds like a tough ask. :-)
Also, my mom had dinner with a Russian neighbor tonight, who recommended some resources for me. They are resources her husband used. Unfortunately, he learned a few phrases and then stopped completely, so I'm not sure if that is really ringing endorsement for them :) But I'll check it out when I get some time.
To combine french and russian you might like to look at Henri Troyat's books. He wrote (in french) biographies of russian rulers, russian writers, and also set some historical novel sagas in Russia.
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:54 am

DaveBee wrote:
Ani wrote:... to improve the language area of this extra project, I started learning about tesla coils in French. I'm taking my notes and will make myself write a summary all in French.
That sounds like a tough ask. :-)
To combine french and russian you might like to look at Henri Troyat's books. He wrote (in french) biographies of russian rulers, russian writers, and also set some historical novel sagas in Russia.

Thanks, that's a great recommendation! (And so glad it's not the other way around, because a Russian book about the French is way out of my league!)
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:44 am

Totally slain by a migraine today. I didn't do any Russian at all this week but I did finish the French study goals. I picked out about 10 pages that need more revision in Grammaire Progressive débutant, unfortunately I awakened in myself a terrible perfectionism and a desire to revise the whole book page by page because I can't spell for crap. I mean I can barely spell in English so it shouldn't be surprising that I'm worse in French. Anyway, I'm ignoring perfectionism. I'll review just those 10 pages this week and then work on the intermédiaire book after that. I just have to start writing things out by hand again. That's the only thing that works too improve my spelling.

DH is out of town. The halfway point in our school year is right about now, which means it's the point that I start freaking out that they are behind in some subject or another and double up our school days. This leaves me less time for myself which is sort of depressing. Hopefully I'll still get a fair amount of my own study done.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:52 am

I found a French Meetup in my area that just recently started. I'm kinda excited actually and I was going to go today but church got out really late today (by like 45 minutes) so I couldn't make it :(

Now I'm taking language-y quizzes to keep me distracted from my anxiety. Watching the Eagles break my heart... It's a rough life being a Philly fan..
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:00 am

Oh my gosh they did it... I can't believe they did it...

Uhmm language stuff..
a) Grammaire Progressive is insanely boring.

b.) I don't know if I can get to FSI unit 12 this week on speed review but I think I'll going to try.

c) I think I might give up on Russian. I'll not doing very well with it anyway. I feel super torn because I really like it, and I enjoy studying it, but the time I can give it is low and the return over months is low.. can I "finish" French and then come back? That seems like that never works for anyone. I don't know.i have limited time and brain power. I wish I were smarter. I have all this angst that would be better if were smarter and more efficient at life.

d.) For my well-being as a whole, I'm setting a goal for this week to exercise at least 4 times and reach my daily step goal and also to draw 10 drawings during the week.
I'd like to set a target bed time but William doesn't think he needs to sleep anymore so there's no guarantee I'll be able to accomplish that.

e) I think my accent is suffering so I am going to try and record myself reading this week and see about uploading it somewhere. Deadline: 2/12
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:42 am

Some unwanted and unneeded advice? Based on what I can tell of you, You will never get to the point with French where you feel you have succeeded and finished. Similarly, even if Russian was your only priority, you would feel like you ought to be progressing better and faster.

There is absolutely no shame or problem in setting Russian aside for a while. You have a lot going on! It seems to me that it would be far better to prioritise the things that would make your life feel better and easier like the exercise and the drawing, etc. On the other hand, you may feel that doing a little bit of Russian here and there will be enjoyable and fun and you want to keep going. Whatever works for you is the right answer!
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Language logs”