Neurotip's log: Italian and Icelandic, i.a.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Re: Neurotip's log: Italian and Icelandic, i.a.

Postby Neurotip » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Stop press: A2 in Dialang Icelandic listening (plus I did it on a train, so I reckon that gets me a few extra marks ;) ).
4 x
Corrections welcome here

MrsStarez
Yellow Belt
Languages: I can read and write French, but my spoken capabilities are limited. I'm looking to develop further, especially in a business sense, as I'm getting increasingly asked if I would be able to use French at work.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8933

Postby MrsStarez » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Some might interpret that as showing off :-p

(Well done though)
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:57 pm

So I read most of your log, and I was confused as to how to got to your "solid A2" in Icelandic. I'm planning on tackling this language again in the New Year.

I know you worked hard, and I'm prepared to work harder this year - but the log didn't delineate any clear path that you took, at least as far as I could see.

Did you just intensively work through VLI and and books?

If you could detail a bit of your formula, I'd be grateful. I want to finally address my friend from Iceland in his native language (in complete, understandable sentences), by the end of this New Year.

Thanks for reading.
0 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:03 pm

eido wrote:So I read most of your log, and I was confused as to how to got to your "solid A2" in Icelandic. I'm planning on tackling this language again in the New Year. ... If you could detail a bit of your formula, I'd be grateful.

Hi eido! As I remember it, I started by working through the whole of Alaric's MP3 course, by itself. After that I didn't use any particular course - I never really got into Icelandic Online, probably because I started at the wrong point in the course and found it too easy, but I'd recommend it and I think it would work well as an immediate follow-on to Alaric. What I actually did was to study intensively, first the VLÍ videos and transcripts, and later posts on r/iceland:

- learning the vocabulary, using Anki a bit; I found it helped to go through the full inflectional paradigm every time a word came up on Anki
- trying to understand the grammar (some of my notes) - Venturi's Corso di Islandese Moderno is an excellent resource if you can read Italian

...and also extensive listening, using the later VLÍs and some other materials I came across (Linguaphone and others).

If I was advising myself a year ago, I'd say: concentrate more on vocabulary, basic grammar and stock phrases; and whenever you can understand something, make sure you can produce it correctly too.

I want to finally address my friend from Iceland in his native language (in complete, understandable sentences), by the end of this New Year.

Gangi þér vel og gleðilegt nýtt ár! Let us know how you get on.
3 x
Corrections welcome here

hagestolz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(N); Ger, Fr, Sp, Cz, It, Du, Ru, Gk, Port

Postby hagestolz » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Really enjoyed reading about your progress over the past months, especially relating to Italian. Could it be time to resurrect my Italian, too, I wonder? Good luck in the new year!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”