Christi's Korean studies

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AnneL
Yellow Belt
Languages: By order of when I started learning:
French (N)
English (C2+fluent)
German (B1)
Spanish (A2)
Italian (A2)
Korean (A2) damn hard to reach any level, 18 months studying

Re: Christi's Korean studies

Postby AnneL » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:10 pm

Christi wrote:I really need to check if I can get Viki to work on my smart tv (got a tv for the first time in adult life 8-) ). The Viki app is not available on that tv (unlike Netflix), so if I want to watch from my tv I'd need to log in through my tv browser, which is tedious without a keyboard or mouse....

See if you can work out mirroring on your tv with your phone (depends on brand / OS etc so you need to search answers online)7

With my previous phone, I had to buy GoogleChromecast as I couldn't mirror anymore, and with that dongle, I can send Viki to the tv. It's a bit of a pain sometimes when the ipad goes to sleep etc, but it means I can use Viki on the TV. The ipad Viki app does chromecast, as does the android app. You can use the cheapest Chromecast version for this use, no need for the expensive one.

Viki used to be on Roku but it stopped being supported in Europe now, and probably all over the world now. But you could still see in their Viki if they have other ways of broadcasting. To me though, mirroring or chromecast would be the best/cheapest.

I also invested in a 5m long audio extension so I can listen with headphones, which I find easier to focus on another language.
1 x
10000 Morphman morphemes KOREAN : 10000 / 10000 11/2018->08/2020
365 2020 challenge: day missed 0 (updated:23/August/20)

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:47 pm

AnneL wrote:
See if you can work out mirroring on your tv with your phone

Mirroring didn't work. Am planning on getting a Chromecast now, but am waiting until I have more clarity on my financial situation the next few months. Since the economy is not doing very well right now...

Anyways, I've started something new!

Or well, new..this is my second attempt after having tried to read this last year. I've read 4 pages so far and the amount of new vocab seems manageable so far. Less than the first time I tried (photos are from my first attempt) Am going to try this for 15 days. Then will see if I will continue or more on to another book.

Hope everyone is safe! I am quarantined at home. Am only going out for some fresh air, groceries and to help out my mom. In the meantime I've been watching a lot of Netflix... But am also planning on doing some more studying. I'm going to watch Ponyo in Korean with a friend (virtually). I've never watched it, so hope I will understand what's going on. Or will just use Korean subtitles as an aid. I need to get back to watching comprehensible Korean content again, instead of shows like Signal on Netflix :lol: Too bad there's no audiobook for Harry Potter!
3 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:33 am

Howdy it's me again.

I want to try using this log more often again if i don't get logged-out on my phone all the time. I'm typing this after not having had any sleep, so apologies if i don't make sense or my sentences look weird. Can't be bothered.

My learning process has been having ups and downs. At first when corona hit I learned a lot, was super disciplined, now it's the opposite and i feel like I have forgotten even the most basic of knowledge...
Dunno if that's true or just the stress influencing my brain.

Anyways, I want to try keeping weekly goals here again. See if that might help

But first the good news:
Reading HP was easier than I thought. Am taking a break now to focus on other skills/books first though.
My listening skills seem to have improved.
Have been trying to read Korean poetry(see my Instagram).

Goals for what's left of this week:
Review vocab every day
Finish writing assignments from 2 books, use a timer.
Also review grammar from 2 books
Do the last few videos of ttmik so I can finish my audio course.
Write Instagram posts in Korean.

Record my writing.

See you guys next week
Last edited by Christi on Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:12 pm

The forum is slow, don't worry about it :)
0 x
How can you "just be yourself" when you don't know who you are?
Stop saying "Yeah, I know how you feel."
How could anyone know how another feels?

Is a girl.

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:45 am

tarvos wrote:The forum is slow, don't worry about it :)

Well that's good, because I'm also slow in case you hadn't noticed :lol:

I did two Italki classes this week to get used to speaking Korean again. I signed up for an online language course so am a bit afraid of having to speak and write and being unable to or not being fast enough. The class starts next week so just doing well on it will be this month's most important goal.

I also want to finish two children's books I'm reading: 안읽어 씨 가족과 책 요리점 for kids of around 8 years old and am now reading a comic about a Korean independence activist. It's aimed at kids too, but the vocab is definitely advanced! So far I've run into words like 의회제도 (parliamentary system), 공화국(republic), 폭동을 진압하다(to quell a protest) etc. I only need to read about 50 more pages, so I'm trying to read 2-3 pages a day. Unsure if I will manage to do any more reading though once my course starts.

So this week I'll just focus on reviewing and reading (also finally started 연세 읽기 3 and am planning on finishing the whole series. Finishing book 3 might become August's aim).
3 x

Return to “Language logs”