Christi's Spanish and Korean studies

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Christi's Korean studies

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:03 am

Christi wrote:Has anyone read any of these books, in Korean or other languages? What did you think?

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

The book was a big success in Sweden, as was the audiobook (the narrator even got an award). I've only seen the movie. The author himself used to visit the town library (=my work place) and write for hours.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:14 pm

You got me that book in Swedish, Jeff. Didn't you give it to me when I was at the library?
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:35 pm

I think you're right! Someone must have given it to me at some point, but I never read it before forwarding it to you.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 pm

Have been ill the past week. Still don't feel entirely better, but I really need to start studying for uni again so figured I might as well spend some time on Korean too. I read one story from my reader today, but the chapter I read wasn't complicated at all! Out of approximately 40 words I only encountered 8 new words...I took a peek at the 3rd chapter and again I mostly saw familiar words.. Apparently the book is supposed to help lead students all the way to somewhere at the B1 level. The chapters from 7 onwards seem to be more complicated so I'm definitely going to finish this book. I think I will try reading another chapter of the book this week.

I also got my hands on Darakwon's 2000 beginner words just to cover all my bases and to also slowly get started with Hanja. Has anyone tried studying with this book before? I'm unsure how to use it since it's mostly just a list of words with example sentences in Korean and 5 questions at the end of each sub-chapter. Have just been putting all unknown words into Memrise so far. Perhaps I'll try creating my own sentences with them.

Also, being ill caused me to miss my Korean exam and there are no other opportunities to take that test again. Guess if I really want a certificate I should really try to pass Topik level 3, but that seems like such a daunting and impossible task :|
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 pm

Okay, bad news: apparently Memrise is going to ditch their user-created courses and move them to a new website. Since there's the risk of a bunch of things going wrong I am now in the process of exporting all my courses to Quizlet....which is very laborious so I think this week, and possibly the next, I'll only do some reviewing.

Mood: angry at Memrise :evil:

Good news: Ewha and Sogang are hosting a speaking competition in my country. Am thinking of participating if I can get half the day off. Don't think it will be possible, but I can still try.

Resources I found and want to buy in the future:
Generation Gap and Other Essays: Readings in Korean Culture Series for Intermediate and Advanced Students

Modern Korean: An Intermediate Reader

The Routledge Intermediate Korean Reader (Routledge Modern Language Readers)

Has anyone tried one of these books?
1 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:13 am

I downloaded an app called Todait to keep track of my learning. Since I was ill for a bit I only studied for 9 hours and 20 minutes. This week I haven't studied at all. Got home around 10 pm often this week. Today is my day off, but I will spend the day writing an essay. Same goes for the weekend.

I mostly studied from my course book for grammar, it also contains reading, writing etc exercises but I don't log those separately. Same goes for reading. If I use a graded reader those also contain exercises but I just log them as reading since they are in Korean anyway.

For tonight I will try to finally do a writing assignment from my reader. And continue uploading my courses to Quizlet... such a hassle. I also really miss Srs options on Quizlet and the fact that it's not possible to review several sets at once instead of per set. But so far I haven't found any better options so I'll just have to make do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:08 pm

Brief update from me. Haven't done any studying at all since my last update. I've been busy house-hunting. I was succesful and got myself a little studio, so have been busy moving and assembling furniture. I still need to fix up my bookcase and get myself a table so I actually have somewhere to sit and study.

I've also been trying to teach myself some basic programming skills to see if I might be able to turn this into a job (if anyone has some advice for me, please let me know!). I think teaching probably won't work out... Am still going to try so will be making long hours in the library for these last few months and putting Korean on the back burner for now and will only do some reviewing and occasional reading.
0 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 pm

ロータス wrote:
Depends on the langauge and what you want to do in it. This for web dev or app dev?

Web development. Am going to attend a Python workshop this weekend, just to get started with that and also do some networking.

For anyone who's curious: am still doing my teaching course, even though I'm still really insecure about it.

I've also started doing some Korean again. Am reviewing words now and just got a bilingual book that I'm reading. It feels a lot less tiring and is an easy way to get back into things and to expand my vocabulary count.
I also found a tutor who I plan to schedule lessons with twice a month.

Other than that I'm just going at it at a snail's pace. But that's fine, better than quitting. Now here's to hoping the sun will start shining again so I can read my books outside in the fresh air and sunshine!
1 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:51 pm

You know how they say to be careful what you wish for? Well, last time I wished for more sun.. there's more sun now, but it's been 30-38 degrees recently and probably even more hot in my studio (my neighbour's thermometer hit 40ish a while ago...)

Anyways, I tried out the tutor..twice. Didn't really like it since everything was in English and there wasn't really a lot of teaching going on. Just reading the rules in the textbook, but no actual teaching or practising. Have booked a lesson with a new teacher who doesn't know much English. If that doesn't work I'll just get back to doing language exchanges.
Also, I've found a few Koreans who want to meet occasionally to study. We're meeting this week and will do a bit of easy speaking. I've also found some penpals. And have been doing some reading, I want to finish at least one book (actually, I want to finish 1 comic, 2 kid's books but, well, snail's pace). I've found a bunch of books that look interesting. One of which is Kim Ji-Young: born in 1982. I want to read it so badly and am really tempted to buy it since I stumbled upon it online :oops: .

Penguin's Kitchen 모락모락 펭귄의 부엌 in the UK
This looks very cool too. Should I ever get it, then I'll probably end up able to read all those foodie blogs with ease haha.

Ooh, before I forget, I managed to sign up at Ridibooks and got a few free books. Some are really cool! There's a comic about Coco Chanel <3 and I found a book about female Korean independence fighters! So I better improve my Korean so that one day I'll be able to read all these cool books!
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:57 pm

Christi wrote:You know how they say to be careful what you wish for? Well, last time I wished for more sun.. there's more sun now, but it's been 30-38 degrees recently and probably even more hot in my studio (my neighbour's thermometer hit 40ish a while ago...)

Anyways, I tried out the tutor..twice. Didn't really like it since everything was in English and there wasn't really a lot of teaching going on. Just reading the rules in the textbook, but no actual teaching or practising. Have booked a lesson with a new teacher who doesn't know much English. If that doesn't work I'll just get back to doing language exchanges.
Also, I've found a few Koreans who want to meet occasionally to study. We're meeting this week and will do a bit of easy speaking. I've also found some penpals. And have been doing some reading, I want to finish at least one book (actually, I want to finish 1 comic, 2 kid's books but, well, snail's pace). I've found a bunch of books that look interesting. One of which is Kim Ji-Young: born in 1982. I want to read it so badly and am really tempted to buy it since I stumbled upon it online :oops: .

Penguin's Kitchen 모락모락 펭귄의 부엌 in the UK
This looks very cool too. Should I ever get it, then I'll probably end up able to read all those foodie blogs with ease haha.

Ooh, before I forget, I managed to sign up at Ridibooks and got a few free books. Some are really cool! There's a comic about Coco Chanel <3 and I found a book about female Korean independence fighters! So I better improve my Korean so that one day I'll be able to read all these cool books!

You from the east somewhere?
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Return to “Language logs”