Christi's Spanish and Korean studies

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Christi's Spanish and Korean studies

Postby Christi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi, I'm still a beginner learner, I'm halfway through the book Active Korean 2 and I want to start using more additional materials and make learning more fun this way. I'm also thinking of maybe going to a Korean class if time and money permits, or otherwise possibly booking an italki teacher occasionally. Figured I should start a log to get more insight into my learning progress and exchange tips with the people on this forum.

If anyone knows some easy comics I could read, please drop a line ;)

Goals for January/Februay:
- Finish Coursera's Learn to speak Korean and use their forum to ask questions and write a short story
- Finish Lingodeer course, still 26 units to go
- Read and listen to one beginner's Iyagi per week, update memrise course

Long term goals:
- Write down all grammar I know so far in a document
- Create sentences for my selfmade memrise courses
- Reinforce previously learnt grammar
- Try to blog ( I started one but it just takes too much time to blog about something interesting...)
- Finish chapters 3-4 of Active Korean
- Read short articles on Korean Huffington Post
- Go through to watch list on Youtube

I'm not sure if this would be a good way to improve my language skills or not. Or if this would fit time-wise. I'll just try it out and adjust my plan if necessary. For tonight I will do one TTMIK beginner's Iyagi.

Also, I was wondering if using those Learn Korean through kpop videos I keep seeing on Youtube would be a good idea. I'm not sure if they use a lot of slang or unusual vocabulary? I think it could be a fun way of learning more vocab but I don't want to learn the wrong things.
Last edited by Christi on Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
6 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Christi
Orange Belt

Re: Christi's Korean studies

Postby Christi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:19 pm

So I just listened to TTMIK's beginner's Iyagi episode 1 and 2 after first listening to this in November, after which I temporarily quit Korean for a bit. I think I understood about 90% of the first episode, except for the last part where some grammar was used which I don't know very well yet, 이제부터 아침을 꼭 먹어요- from now on make sure to eat breakfast. I think I will need to look up some expressions dealing with time: since, from now on, for x many years.

I also listened to the second episode again and this was much more difficult to follow. The episode was about keeping pets so there was more unfamiliar vocabulary and I kept having to pause and rewind more often. I will add these words/ expressions to my memrise course and then listen to this episode again next week.

I also completed the Lingodeer Health unit.
I learned how to say something got hurt- X에 상처를 입다, to be thirsty- 목이 마르다, to be sleepy- 졸리다, answer to a question meaning because- 왜냐하면....V니까요.

Tomorrow I will study the more formal way of giving commands on Lingodeer.
0 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:26 pm

ロータス wrote:Welcome to the forum. I didn't realize that TTMIK has a beginner's Iyagi so I'll have to check it out. Seeing your log made me start thinking about at least doing a little KR myself xD Be sure to write about what you think of Lingodeer, I rarely see people who actually finished it.

Yeah, I think this series is relatively new. It has 10 episodes that get progressively a bit more difficult. They also have a series called slow Korean, which I also own. I got them during sale. The regular Iyagi seem to be of the intermediate level and way too difficult for me.

As for the Lingodeer course, I think it's a nice course. It's free and they really cover a lot of grammar. Since I already learned some Korean before starting the course a lot of the content at the beginning I used for reviewing. But I also learned new grammar by using this app and the exercises are nice. It's a good way to get a feel of the sentence structure. So I intend to finish it. Only 25 more levels to go ;)
0 x

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:56 am

Hey Christi! Welcome to the forum!

Always good to see more Korean learners. :)

Christi wrote:If anyone knows some easy comics I could read, please drop a line ;)

From what I've heard and seen 요츠바랑! (the Korean translation of Yotsuba&!) is probably among the easiest comics you can find. The language is all casual though and judging by what you've written it might still be somewhat too difficult right now (it still is for me, anyways XD), but it can't hurt to check it out. ^_^
0 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Yuurei wrote:Hey Christi! Welcome to the forum!

Always good to see more Korean learners. :)

Christi wrote:If anyone knows some easy comics I could read, please drop a line ;)

From what I've heard and seen 요츠바랑! (the Korean translation of Yotsuba&!) is probably among the easiest comics you can find. The language is all casual though and judging by what you've written it might still be somewhat too difficult right now (it still is for me, anyways XD), but it can't hurt to check it out. ^_^

Cool, thanks for the tip. Will try to read one page sometime this month.

Today I finished this week's Coursera course, which was about ordering food and counting units. Since I've already covered this elsewhere this was just a recap. I always have difficulty counting. Probably because there are two systems so I always need to think about which one I will need. And to be honest, counting is not something I really use. I think that if I lived in Korea then I'd probaly get it down very fast!

In Lingodeer I learned how to give formal commands by using (으) 십시오, V+ 지 말다, V+지 맙시다 and I also learned some formal verbs. I'm wondering how useful it will be for me to know this. Does this appear often on tv, newspapers etc?
I'm unsure if I should spend time on being able to use this actively.

I also used the site Learning Korean through k-pop today. I picked two songs (Taeyang- darling and Exo- ko ko bop) to listen to occasionally while playing a colour-coded youtube video. I want to see if this will help me pick up some words and grammar without needing to drill any vocab. Those two songs together contain about 80 words and expressions I don't know yet. Some of these seem useful, others not so much. I guess after listening to them for a while I will filter out the unimportant ones.
0 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Yesterday I signed up for the output language challenge to motivate myself to do more writing. I don't think I will ever get close to the 50k mark but at least I will get some writing in. I have one Korean friend who I sent a short message yesterday and I replied to a question on TTMIK. Actually, I'm thinking of commenting on their website more often. It will allow me to practice learned grammar and someone might also correct me if it's wrong.
I also watched a TTMIK video dealing with weather vocabulary. I'm thinking of writing something about the weather on my blog since we've had really crappy weather here lately...
Besides this I finished two lingodeer units and found this really cool page on idioms at the Naver app. I saved about 17 simple ones for future use.

I also got my hands on a Harvest Moon game. I looked at some images online and the language seems relatively simple. I will try playing it for a few minutes tonight to see whether it's too difficult for me or not.
1 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:05 pm

So I played the Harvest Moon game and wanted to write about it before I'd forget.
I played for about 15 minutes in-game but it took me at least twice as long to translate all the unknown words and some grammar patterns. I saved about 30 words in my naver app, forgot to save the grammar patterns though. But these will probably show up again some other time. I think the grammar was doable except that I really need to learn about relative clauses and there was one weird sentence which had two objects. Maybe someone here could explain this to me?

Other than this the grammar seemed alright and the vocabulary also didn't seem too difficult. I learned some common nouns and some useful verbs and some things I learned in yesterday's TTMIK and Lingodeer vocab about the weather got repeated in a storyline about a storm at sea. I think I will keep playing this game and placing new words in a memrise course. If anyone would like access to the course, please let me know and I'll share it :)

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-20 at 23.35.05.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:57 am

Hey, I'd be happy to help with your problem, but I actually don't know what you mean by two objects.

Could you give it a go yourself, and then I can see where the problem is? Hint: it's like 'although it's not going to be easy to...'
0 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19 am

nooj wrote:Hey, I'd be happy to help with your problem, but I actually don't know what you mean by two objects.

Could you give it a go yourself, and then I can see where the problem is? Hint: it's like 'although it's not going to be easy to...'

I think I solved it already. I think it means something like: leaving the city and finding a new world won't be easy, but I have hope. Or something like it :D

I think i got confused because of the dropping of particle 고 and then using 는 too. Should really practice 는 sentences haha
1 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 pm

I have decided that if I have time, I want to sign up for a Korean language class nearby. I'd have to take a test, and the class starts mid-March. So I think for the next month I will work on reinforcing the grammar necessary for this test while also sticking to my other goals.
이번 달는 한국어를 공부만 할 거예요 :lol: Just kidding.

Today I also looked at Italki and messaged some people, asking them to do a language exchange. Hopefully someone will reply :)

I also went through some grammar I already learnt; TTMIK 2 grammar and took a look at the 는 것 pattern again. I think I will need more practice with this, it gets especially more difficult when combined with other grammar like this -> 저는 운공을 하는 것보다 자는 것을 더 좋아해요. I made this sentence myself btw, hope it's a correct one.

I have also been playing some more Harvest Moon. It is really useful so far! I think playing this game is better than trying to read something online and it doesn't really feel like ''working'' since I want to know how the story will progress and if I think there is too much dialogue I can just skip it.

Later this week I think I will make an actual weekly plan on what grammar I should revise and practice for the Korean class' test.
Last edited by Christi on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”