Christi's Spanish and Korean studies

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Re: Preparations for Topik

Postby Christi » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Bunnychu wrote:
Christi wrote:Some grammar I learned or looked up (copy-pasted since I'm lazy):

V하다 싶다: I think something is..

One small correction if I may, the form is (ㄴ/는)다 싶다 and you can also replace it with -(으)ㄴ/는 것 같다, -(ㄴ/는다)는 생각이 들다, -라고 생각하다.

Thanks for the correction! Is this a rare rule? Online I can online find information on ㄴ/은/는가 싶다, 다/나 싶다.
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Re: Preparations for Topik

Postby Bunnychu » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:10 pm

Christi wrote:Thanks for the correction! Is this a rare rule? Online I can online find information on ㄴ/은/는가 싶다, 다/나 싶다.

That's a good question. I only learned (ㄴ/는)다 싶다 with 빈도별 토픽, so I had to look up the answer to your question. This person explains really well the subtleties between the grammar points. ^^
3 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Preparations for Topik

Postby Christi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:27 am

1566800073747.jpg

Remember how I said I thought Ttmik's News in Korean was going to be very hard and I should probably wait a bit before using it?
Well, it turns out not to be hard at all! :lol:

The grammar used is very simple and the articles are between 6-10 lines long at most. It does look good for mining vocab though. But the reading on Topik is going to be way more difficult. Maybe I should just get started on intensively reading the mock exams :?:

On another note: mad respect for those people who actually finish those Topik vocab in x days books on time. I've been using one for the last couple of days, and while effective, it's very taxing and probably not sustainable while working. At least not for me :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Re: Christi's Korean studies

Postby Christi » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:05 pm

One month since my last post. Little Korean studying got done :oops: I finally got a Netflix account and also started focusing on my social life and have had friends over a lot. I'm also going to volunteer at a film festival soon.
However, I'm going to do some daily reading. I was at a friend's the other day and had a Korean book with me and he wanted me to translate a page on the spot and I managed to do this with little difficulty :shock: Hopefully this will not prove to be a rare occurrence, but evidence that I finally got better at this language!

The observant readers might wonder about how my topik preparations are going. Well, I was unable to sign up for it. To register for topik I needed to travel to a different city so I could hand in my personal information. Since they keep office hours I was unable to do so. But it's fine. For now I will just focus on reading my books and continue listening to those TTMIK videos.
I have a train ride tomorrow so will spend some time reading if I can find a seat.
This ends my update, I'm going to continue watching Black right now.
2 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:55 pm

I haven't been online much. But since the end of the year is near (just 2 months left :o) and I thought of a new reading goal I figured I should post it here before I forget. My goal of having learned 1000 new words by the end of this year will definitely be met (I just need to update my stats). In fact, if I had studied every week I'm pretty sure I would have been able to learn at least twice or trice as many words :lol: But well, this is just a hobby for me and sometimes I don't feel like doing anything Korean related so I don't.

So a while ago I got my hands on all these Korean books. Haven't really started reading them so far though. But I'm pretty sure that if I had I would have been so much better at Korean already! So I have decided my next goal, starting now instead of the new year because why wait, should be reading books/counting pages. Counting pages so I can, hopefully, see an improved reading pace even though I will be reading mostly intensively instead of extensively.

On my reading list so far:
    마리코 80 세, A Japanese comic about an 80-year-old widow who no longer feels at home with her family, start frequenting internet cafes and basically sets out on a journey of self-discovery. I've never read a manga with an elderly protagonist so I think this will be an interesting read. If I like it I will ask a friend to bring me more copies when she visits Korea.

Winnie the Pooh. Know the story through the cartoons, never read the book. Watched the movie Christopher Robin a while ago and it was surprisingly good!

Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone part 1. In Korea the books are split. I think this part is about 250 pages. I already know the story, so perhaps I'll try to read this semi-intensively. Last time I tried there were almost 30 new words per page so this was definitely too difficult for me. I really hope that this time this won't be the case. Or that the numbers will decrease after a few pages.

신고해도 되나요? A story about kids calling the police because of a food poisoning incident at school. At least that's what I think it's about :lol:

82년생 김지영 Yes, the book that has a lot of men in an uproar. I heard it even got burned, not sure if this is true or just a rumor. So I just have to read it, I think it might just be a bit too difficult though but let's see. Short description from wiki for those not in the known: The storyline centres on a housewife who becomes a stay-at-home mother and later suffers from depression. It depicts the everyday sexism the title character experiences since youth.

I've also thought of reading 엄마를 부탁해. I have the book and discovered I can buy the audiobook online. I listened to a sample and the recording seems pretty slow and well enunciated. Again, this might be too difficult to read, but I can give it a go after having finished those other books.

I've also got a few comics, some poetry and an entertainment magazine. I think after reading all these I will probably end up having read around 1500 pages. Nothing like the numbers people from here frequently read (like the guy reading 10k pages in German!), but a good starting point.

I'm off to read a comic now. Might update what I've learned here. Maybe I should as a way to keep myself accountable and to consolidate what I've learned.
3 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:53 pm

I read 11 pages about exercising today and have translated some sentences. I came across 40 new words. I don't often read about this type of topic, but am trying to expand my vocabulary. It's from Diary of Dana in Korea. It's a comic, but also contains a few short texts with more difficult cultural explanations and it has audio files! So I figure I should just finish this even though it's not very exciting to read.

In the case of this problem: 이 문제같은 경우에는...
In my case: 저 같은 경우에는..
If you do aerobic exercises you will lose fat and if you do muscle workouts you will grow muscles: 유산소 운동으로 지방을 줄이고 근육 운동으로 근육을 키우시면 될 거예요.
Keep you eyes to the front and your back and waist straight: 시선은 앞으로 향하고 등과 혀리는 펴세요.
When cycling it is important to keep a straight posture: 자전거를 탈때는 바른 자세가 중요해요.
This machine is very good for arm and back workouts: 이 기구는 팔과 등 근육 운동에 아주 좋아요.
This is a sport that uses various movements like dancing dangling from the ceiling, pilates, yoga etc: 천장에 매달려 무용, 필라테스, 요가 등의 다양한 동작을 하는 운동이애요.
The difficulty level is higher than doing regular yoga on the ground: 지상에서 하는 일반적인 요가보다 난이도가 높아요.
While known as the secret weight management method of famous celebrities at home and abroad, it is recently also becoming trendy among young women in Korea: 국내외 유명 연예인들의 몸매 관리 비법으로 알러지게 되면서 한국에서도 최근 젊은 여성들을 중심으로 유행하고 있어요.

I hope I translated this correctly :) A few of them I translated a bit loosely since otherwise the English wouldn't make much sense. Like in the 3rd example.
2 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:21 pm

So I've been reading short texts about tourist destinations in Seoul. If you know anything of similar length(a bit longer is fine) and difficulty as this, please share so I can do some thematic reading :D I still have difficulty finding things in Korean.

I thought the reading went alright. I probably messed up the word order sometimes, but I'm pretty sure I understood everything. Learned a lot of new and useful words too.
성벽- fortress
박굴되다- to be excavated
유물- artifact
이국적- exotic
김칫국부터 마신다- to count your chickens before they hatch

I also learned two new grammatical structures: -와 상관없이: regardless of and -이자: as well as. I've discovered the multilingual section of this site. I think it could be a good way to get in some writing practice, so you should all go there and I will try to sneak in this grammar in a reply! But seriously, I looked at some language rooms and some of them looked really cool. Some people discuss a book they had read and ask for the opinions of others' and some people just share how their day went. It would be cool if Korean learners could manage the same. I never know what to write about since I'm just writing for myself, and I really miss having interaction with others; being able to reply to what people have written etc. This usually leads to a larger repertoire of used grammar and vocabulary too :D

I have 5 chapters left of this book. I'n unsure what I should read next. I'm unsure if it will make sense to read Penguin loves Mev. The sentences don't seem that complicated, but that means I should be able to finish it quickly. They also use banmal so that would be good practice too! And I think the comic might contain a lot of useful vocab, I saw some chapters about various holidays, fixing a broken bike, immigration issues, scouting, getting rid of pests etc. The other book I'm thinking of finishing is 안읽어 씨 가족과 책 요리점. The sentences in this book are more complex, which means I will also take more time to get through it.
Well, I have some time to think about it since I think I will probably finish my comic next Sunday, if this doesn't turn out to be 작심삼일!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:29 am

Yeah finding Korean material is a pain. Sometimes I wish I had a free flight to Seoul with a suitcase so I could just take books back ;)
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:30 pm

tarvos wrote:Yeah finding Korean material is a pain. Sometimes I wish I had a free flight to Seoul with a suitcase so I could just take books back ;)

There's a Korean bookstore in Regensburg. I don't know if they have anything suitable but it's a little closer than Seoul. :D
And they ship to almost all European countries. Linking to the childrens' book and comic section.
0 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:08 pm

That's a little closer by, but still too far for comfort :(
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Return to “Language logs”