Christi's Spanish and Korean studies

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Re: Christi's Korean and Spanish studies

Postby Christi » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:06 pm

So I'm having a case of voorpret which is a Dutch word that means something like finding pleasure in anticipating and preparing for something like a trip, holiday etc.
My voorpret is that I will probably have finished my textbook by the end of next week and am thinking about what resource to use next. I have the B1 book of my current textbook but I just discovered my library carries the Aula Internacional books. All 5 of them! So I've been wondering if I should get the first 3 books. The first 2 just so I can read the articles and expose myself to the most basic words in a slightly different context and consolidate them further, and the 3rd book(B1) to actually study from.

I think I'm going to take a look at those books soon. See if they're any good.
Another thing I want to do is to go through Spanish YouTube videos on the weekends. I subscribed to a bunch of channels but I just never feel like using YT... watching vlogs etc isn't really my kind of thing. Guess I'll just start with something like Easy Spanish and then see if there are any interesting once my listening skills have improved and I feel less lazy ;)

Anyways, bedtime! Tmr(or today haha) is another Baselang day and I want to read a bit about Frida Kahlo again. I need to if I ever want to finish those books around September :lol: Theoretically I should read one book a week but that would really be overkill.
5 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7372

Re: Christi's Korean studies

Postby humerusthings » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:12 pm

Christi wrote: Do you have any Netflix or Viki recommendations?

Hey christi! Just sharing some of the netflix korean dramas I really like!:)

- hospital playlist - a little bit more of the medical terminology, but really heart warming and nice!
- sisyphus - perfect for that dystopian feel but some of the logic is a bit... haha
- let's eat - makes one very hungry...
- the entire reply series!
- sky castle!
- suits is good too!
1 x
: 19 / 40 Coffee Break French S3
: 88 / 113 Assimil French With Ease
: 3 / 16 Easy French Step by Step
: 33 / 100 Assimil German With Ease
: 4 / 20 Easy German Step by Step

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:45 am

My laptop broke down, so I forgot to update and visit the forum. I have so many notifications and awesome new logs to read now! Will get to that over the course of this week.

Anyhow, this is going to be a bit of an info dump with a lot of trailers (Thanks Luke for showing me how to link YT again!).
I finished my Gente Hoy 1 book as planned in my last post (which was in August..) then just started reading some books from my library. I borrowed a book on regional dishes from Spain. Was pretty interesting. Am currently going through Aula 3 and El mundo en Espanol. Have been playing Animal Crossing in Spanish, might start playing Pokemon too. Also watched a bunch of movies. Will show some trailers of the movies I remember watching here.

My current plan is to keep using Aula until I need to return the book and then just switch to Gente Hoy 2 and finish my graded readers, do some more Baselang and watch some more Spanish movies. Am super motivated since I booked a trip to Spain. Really hope I can go though, I worry international travel will get more restricted as once again we are having a covid wave... Anyways, on to the movies!

Really interesting docu about the position of indigenous people in Mexico. This documentary follows the first indigenous woman to take part in elections.

Based on a true story, follows a secretly gay congressman at the end of the 19th century in Mexico. Really good movie, don't watch if you dislike nudity and sex ;) Just realised the trailer contains a lot of spoilers though..

Thought this movie was pretty nice. It's slow-paced, but just my cup of tea and the ending was unexpected!

Really slow narration, so great for practicing! Also saw similar ones about Peru and Nicuragua. These types of docus are brilliant! For people who are interested in feminism ¿qué coño está pasando? about feminism in Spain is also on Netflix and I learned a lot watching it! There's no trailer on YT, but I highly recommend it. The spoken Spanish was slow paced too.

Nothing special, just a nice romantic movie.

Might not be everyone's type of humor but I thought some parts were funny and I liked the glimpse of rural village life in Spain.

Actually, it might be better not to watch the trailer of this original comedy/thriller. I thought it was pretty funny and had some nice plot twists. I went in thinking it was going to be some run-of-the-mill movie, then things happened in the bar and I was hooked.

I have about 20 more Spanish-language movies or documentaries on my Netflix list so I'll try to share trailers more often. I want to keep updating my log more regularly. It's a good way to keep myself accountable, but also find new resources and think back on what worked and what didn't. I know I actually did a lot of Spanish studying/acquisition, but because August was the last time I wrote something I have forgotten everything except what's mentioned in this post. Oops.
3 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:23 pm

2021 is almost over (just 1,5 months :shock: ) so I want to set some goals for Spanish.
Because I took a break and then started reading other books I want to have finished the following books before 2022:

-Frida Kahlo, Mujeres extraordinarias, Leyandas impactantes, Vidas impactantes, Rebeldes de Tejas. In practice this means finishing one book per week. They're at most 100 pages, so I should be able to do this.

-I also want to have watched all Spanish films on my Netflix list. That's about 20 films more or less. This might be doable.

-Schedule at least two tutoring sessions per week. This kinda depends on how busy I am and on scheduling, but I'm paying a fixed rate so I should make use of it! This week I had 1,5 hours of tutoring and for next week I have booked 2,5 hours so far.

-Keep working through Aula 3 and El mundo en español depending on how long I can keep borrowing them. I think I probably need to return them by the first week of December. Will see if I can then extend my loan. I have a limited amount of loans per year allowed and if I extend a loan it does not count towards the total amount, whereas if I return a book and then borrow it again after a few weeks it gets deducted of the number of books I can borrow.

And now for Korean! I need a low-effort, low-stress way to actually get used to the language again and get the positive vibes rolling so I will just read some super easy fairy tales! Don't remember how many there are, but I want to have gone over them all before 2022, plus do some conscious reviewing.

Gonna be a busy 1,5 months *scream emoji*
3 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Re: Christi's Spanish and Korean studies

Postby Christi » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:15 pm

Not an update, but I found out that Memrise is about to implement some crappy "updates" again and am thinking of moving everything to Anki (or does anyone have a more user-friendly suggestion? I tried Quizlet but didn't like it. I really want an app that reminds me when to study).

And I just found out that apparently the memrise2anki export add-on doesn't work anymore so will probably need to copy everything manually..

Help.. this is going to be such a time-sink :(
1 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:04 pm

Christi wrote:And I just found out that apparently the memrise2anki export add-on doesn't work anymore so will probably need to copy everything manually..

Help.. this is going to be such a time-sink :(

Ouch!

Maybe there's an existing Korean Anki deck that will fill the bill?

https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/korean
0 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:45 am

luke wrote:
Maybe there's an existing Korean Anki deck that will fill the bill?

I got most of my words from exposure, so that wouldn't work for me :( thanks for the suggestion though!

Think I just have to soldier on and copy it manually if I can't find a working add-on or scalper.
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:02 pm

I'm just glad to see you learning Spanish, el idioma de mi corazón...
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Cerebral_Arbitrage
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18782

Postby Cerebral_Arbitrage » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:04 pm

Christi wrote:
Really slow narration, so great for practicing! Also saw similar ones about Peru and Nicuragua. These types of docus are brilliant! For people who are interested in feminism ¿qué coño está pasando? about feminism in Spain is also on Netflix and I learned a lot watching it! There's no trailer on YT, but I highly recommend it. The spoken Spanish was slow paced too.

Thanks for recommending these documentaries. I watched the Guatemalan one and thought it was great practice.
0 x
365 Day Challenge: 0 / 365
PFC - Daily Vocabulary Review: 0 / 365
PFC - Read 500 pages: 0 / 500
PFC - Watch 120 hours of video: 0 / 7200

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:54 pm

Christi wrote:So I'm having a case of voorpret which is a Dutch word that means something like finding pleasure in anticipating and preparing for something like a trip, holiday etc.
My voorpret is that I will probably have finished my textbook by the end of next week and am thinking about what resource to use next.

I know this is from an old post but I just wanted to say that voorpret is my new favorite word and even though I don't speak Dutch at all I think I'm going to start using it when I speak English because I don't think we really have an English word that means the same thing.
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Return to “Language logs”