Christi's Spanish and Korean studies

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Re: Christi's Korean studies

Postby Christi » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:41 am

tarvos wrote:I think Koreans are almost programmed to be that way.

Not sure about that, but this way of teaching is definitely not the same as the Dutch way! We have a speaking class, where we listen to short dialogues (which I usually can't understand), no speaking required :lol:

It just doesn't fit the way I learn. So will just finish this and then see if I can find an online teacher.
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:33 am

Figured I should update after almost a month of not updating my log.

I rediscovered saved Korean videos with subtitles on my YT account and have been trying to watch some of them. Unsure if it's really helping but it seems like I'm getting more of an ear for Korean sounds. I still think it's pretty difficult to find things to watch or listen to that's at my level but I guess that can't be helped. A lot of people on this forum use very tech-savy methods to pratise listening but I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to those kind of things. I think I'll just try watching things with Korean subs and hope it will help in being able to distinguish sounds at a faster pace.

Actually, I think it's a little funny how I always teach my ESL students to listen actively etc and my own way of studying just completely ignores that because most of the time I just don't know the words and the material is just too high paced. But maybe I'll just need to be more diligent about it and at least think of a question I want to be able to answer at the end of a recording. Otherwise I fear my listening skills will have stayed the same by next year :|

On to a different skill: I've been using Leosmith's site to practise reading. So far I really like it. It doesn't recognize base forms in Korean or allow me to edit the words I look up, but I really like that I can translate whole sentences so I can check if I'm on the right track. I've uploaded a few articles and have made some of them public.
Does anyone happen to know which Korean sites are Creative Commons or not copyright protected so I can make more articles public? I always like contributing to sites if they're self-made :)

And remember this Korean class I mentioned? It's been a bit of a dud, unfortunately... I just don't like the teaching style, learn enough things and I don't like losing almost my whole Saturday since I feel it leaves me with less time to work on my studies. I've actually skipped a few classes too :oops:
Should really start attending again, but I don't think I'm even allowed to take the exam at the end of the semester due to missing class. And I probably won't be able to actually attend class every Saturday..

Lesson learned: take online classes next time to allow for flexible scheduling and personalised curriculum.
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:11 pm

Are you in the Netherlands then? You said you teach ESL.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:06 pm

tarvos wrote:Are you in the Netherlands then? You said you teach ESL.

I am and I do! At a middelbare school :)

So I just think it's funny how there's a discrepancy between how I teach my students and how I learn Korean on my own. I guess it's because I don't really have enough vocabulary or level appropriate resources. But the least I can do is create questions or things to focus on when reading or listening to something.
Tbh, I think this is also partly why I don't like the Korean class I attend because I'm so aware of them teaching "the wrong way" haha. But I'm going to plough through and try to attend again this weekend. See if it's worth making time to finish this semester.
1 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:07 am

ロータス wrote:How do you teach your students?

Much more interactively and task-based. We only speak English in class, even in the first week, all resources are also in English.
I have the students do a lot of projects, like writing letters to pen pals, creating a page for in a newspaper, writing a new year's resolution etc. And the content is always L + 1, so a little bit above their current level. But I think this is more difficult to do when studying on your own because it's difficult to find materials that are at a comprehensible level and it's also more difficult to get good feedback.

Anyways, I've been spotting a lot of hanja recently...I saw them while looking for online texts to read but also in the subtitles of Viki's Learn Mode. Perhaps I should look into how they work and slowly and passively study a couple of them.

I have also decided to keep a diary, I don't get enough writing in. Not sure if people are interested but I have decided to share what I wrote. It's very short since I always have difficulty finding things to write about and it's written in the diary-form. Might decide to switch to other forms later on, but I just wanted to practise this rule.

어젯밤에 베이비 시터기 나가야 돼서 한글 학교에 못 갔다. 젊은 어린이를 처리했다. 이 어린이 3 살이다. 어린이의 엄마가 카페에서 일하니까 집에 늦게 온다. 어린이의 아빠가 음악가이다. 어린이가 몇 번에 보통 자다가 깨었는데 어젯밤 한 번도 깨지 않았다.
지난주에 제 생일이었다. 내일은 친척들을 집으로 초대한다.

As an aside, I just bought the Sims 4 for extremely cheap (6 euros instead of 50 on origin.com :!: ) and have set the game to Korean. Played for a few minutes and it went fine except the fonts are a bit too small..hope it's possible to make them a bit larger since I don't fancy having to squint my eyes too much while playing.
0 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:55 am

I did some reading on hanja. Have decided to just summarise what I found here, for my own convenience. Are there any other hanja-based sounds I should know? Or actual characters that appear in texts often enough that I should be able to recognise them? If anyone knows of a good site to learn hanja, please let me know :D

Btw, does anyone have any experience ordering from this site -> https://dosoguan.com/en/
I'm thinking of ordering a manghwa from there since it might be cheaper than ordering from Korea but am unsure if it's reputable or not.

Lastly, since we are nearing the end of the year I've been thinking of making new language learning goals. I don't think I've met many of this year's goals though, but it's always good to have something to work towards ( and this sentence look really weird but I think I'm too tired to figure out why, think I need to substitute ''towards''). So I will be posting new goals soon, as well as a new diary entry.

Also, check out this cool Korean MOOC site I found http://www.kmooc.kr/. They've got language learning moocs but also modules on psychology etc. I'm waiting for the intermediate Korean course to start again. Think it would be really helpful for my writing skills.

대- big
부- part
분- to separate
최- most
운- to transport
동- to move
류- flow
교- school, exchange 교류- exchange 위교- diplomacy
상- up 상류- upstream, upperclass
주- main 주류- mainstream
단- simple, short
출- exit
해- sea 해위- overseas
내- inside
제- question
점- aspect
장- long 장점- positive aspect, pros 단점- negative aspect, cons
관- view 관점- point of view
질- quality
품- product 품질- product quality
소- element, place 소질- talent, aptitude
본- base
위- to console
로- labor
안- peace
료- to understand
자- to rely
숙- to lodge 숙소- accomodation
사 -house 기숙사- dormitory
기- to assign
노- to expose 노숙자- homeless person
목- eye 제목- title
과- section 과목- subject
적- target 목적- purpose, goal
록- to record 목록- list, catalogue
장- to stretch
주의- -ism
1 x

fjib
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N) - English - Korean
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 47#p124747

Postby fjib » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:19 am

Christi wrote:I did some reading on hanja. Have decided to just summarise what I found here, for my own convenience. Are there any other hanja-based sounds I should know? Or actual characters that appear in texts often enough that I should be able to recognise them? If anyone knows of a good site to learn hanja, please let me know :D

Btw, does anyone have any experience ordering from this site -> https://dosoguan.com/en/
I'm thinking of ordering a manghwa from there since it might be cheaper than ordering from Korea but am unsure if it's reputable or not.

Lastly, since we are nearing the end of the year I've been thinking of making new language learning goals. I don't think I've met many of this year's goals though, but it's always good to have something to work towards ( and this sentence look really weird but I think I'm too tired to figure out why, think I need to substitute ''towards''). So I will be posting new goals soon, as well as a new diary entry.

Also, check out this cool Korean MOOC site I found http://www.kmooc.kr/. They've got language learning moocs but also modules on psychology etc. I'm waiting for the intermediate Korean course to start again. Think it would be really helpful for my writing skills.

대- big
부- part
분- to separate
최- most
운- to transport
동- to move
류- flow
교- school, exchange 교류- exchange 위교- diplomacy
상- up 상류- upstream, upperclass
주- main 주류- mainstream
단- simple, short
출- exit
해- sea 해위- overseas
내- inside
제- question
점- aspect
장- long 장점- positive aspect, pros 단점- negative aspect, cons
관- view 관점- point of view
질- quality
품- product 품질- product quality
소- element, place 소질- talent, aptitude
본- base
위- to console
로- labor
안- peace
료- to understand
자- to rely
숙- to lodge 숙소- accomodation
사 -house 기숙사- dormitory
기- to assign
노- to expose 노숙자- homeless person
목- eye 제목- title
과- section 과목- subject
적- target 목적- purpose, goal
록- to record 목록- list, catalogue
장- to stretch
주의- -ism

for hanja i recommend https://koreanhanja.app i always look up hanja words with it and then i click on the characters and look at all of the words with the same hanja
2 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:44 pm

For hanja, I really like this website:
Hanja Explorer

It lets you see different connections between words that share the same hanja(s).
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:49 am

之 (지) is a useful hanja. it means 의 as in 너의 집. I think of it as a freebie like the free space on bingo cards!

here are examples
고육지계(苦肉之計)
[―찌계/―찌게][명사]적을 속이기 위해서, 또는 어려운 사태에서 벗어나기 위한 수단으로 제 몸을 괴롭히면서까지 짜내는 계책. [일반적으로는 괴로운 나머지 어쩔 수 없이 쓰는 계책을 이름.] 고육지책. 고육책(苦肉策). / 苦肉之計

격세지-감 [隔世之感]
[명사]隔世の感。
【예】당시를 생각하면 격세지감이 있다. 当時を思うと隔世の感がある。

자격지-심 [自激之心]
自分のなしたことを自ら不満に思う心;自責の念。
【예】그것은 그의 자격지심에서 나온 말이다.
【訳】 それは彼の自責の念から出た言葉だ

I remember coming across three syllable words that contain it but can't recall the words.
1 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:12 pm

I always have difficulty finding interesting Korean reading material. The usual entertainment news doesn't interest me and things about politics etc are way too difficult for me. But this weekend I found a site called Indiepost and they've got a lot of articles that I like! I've saved a bunch of them to languagetools and have made catergories there so I can read up on specific topics. So far I got articles on books, anime movies, art and some short texts about feminist issues so I can get familiar with the terminology in Korean.

For this Sunday I planned a trial lesson on Italki. I need to use the words I learned more often so have asked to talk about 금도끼와 은도끼, and 젊은 바보와 늙은 바보 to consolidate all the new vocabulary I encounter and also to get used to talking about things I've read/watched etc. Hope I will be able to spend 30 minutes talking about this :lol:

To practise my writing skills I'm trying to set up this small group of people who'd like to make short presentations on things related to their hobbies. I never like writing exercises since no one will read them anyways or be very interested in what I wrote. So I figured I could write about my hobbies and have people write about theirs and we could give each other some feedback. So far we have two members and one potentional member.

Ps: I stumbled upon a site with Korean schoolbooks on it that can be read on the site itself. I thought I had it bookmarked but can't find it anywhere. Now I wonder if perhaps someone here has shared it or know it and would like to share the link here. It's an legal site, by the publisher of the schoolbooks, they have books from primary school all the way to high school.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”