Xmmm's Log ...

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Re: попытка не пытка

Postby Xmmm » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Kess wrote:The Gulag Archipelago is very hard book even for Russian people. Majority Russian people even didn't read it book.

Shame on them. I've read it in English in its entirety.
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Xmmm wrote:
Kess wrote:The Gulag Archipelago is very hard book even for Russian people. Majority Russian people even didn't read it book.

Shame on them. I've read it in English in its entirety.

Hey maybe we found a point where our tastes overlap. This was my daughter's bedtime story for about 6 months when she was 5. She's not a very tender child :-p
I also really liked Ray Dalio's Principles.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Italian: Il grande gioco. grinfie, razziatore, teschio, rovo, assillare, dimoro, stizzito, nido, tuttora.

Russian: sapiens: Краткая история человечества. преимуществo, приток, косвенно, зоркий, мошенничество, тупик.

I found out штука means "thing". I feel like I've been looking for this word all my life.

Also, Il grande gioco is really annoying*. It's all mad dogs, Englishmen, and Russians out in the midday sun of central Asia, trying to be spies and take over the area. All the main characters are introduced along the lines of "this twenty-eight year old, in addition to speaking several central Asian languages, was fluent in Farsi, Turkish, Arabic, and French."

60 pages of Italian and 20 pages of Russian today, time to get out of the house.

* Actually I love it. I think there's another book along the same lines by Hopkirk and it might be available in Italian as well.
1 x

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:35 pm

I came across this website with fairy tales and short stories in English and Turkish today and remembered your log.
The site itself entirely in Turkish, so I can't really navigate it but perhaps you'll find some enjoyable content there.
2 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:06 pm

Italian

With all the flashcards and textbooks flying around in my life at the moment, I decided to take a break from reading in Italian and just binge watch TV for a while.

Bodyguard on Netflix. Excellent. Recommended to people who like high-energy shows with lots of conspiracies, violence, funky camera work, and chaotic story lines.

Collateral on Netflix. I watched one episode only. Truly a waste of time. It's a special limited series where nothing happens. We're supposed to be so interested in watching the sad sack cops investigate the murder of the pizza delivery guy that we'll tune in for episode 2? Sorry.

Frontier, season 3. Beh. It's better than season 1. I can't really recommend it, though. I think I have some weird attachment because it was one of the first shows I started watching in Italian.

Russian

I decided to restart my Modern Russian mission from page one. So far I've finished reviewing the first 6 lessons, doing all the drills of course. The first 6 lessons are fairly short, but the 4-5 hour lessons start with #7. I hope to get caught up to where I left off before by the end of 2018.
1 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Re: Xmmm's Log ...

Postby Xmmm » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:57 pm

... di merda

it: Remedial grammar at onlineitalianclub.com. Watched Bad Blood.
ru: Modern Russian #10. The horror.
tr: 3000+ words. Reading improves, listening not so much.
ga: Buntús Cainte #39. Finally I understand nár vs níor. Duh.
de: FSI German Basic Course #5. Scrapped my homemade quizlet study set, downloaded anki top 4027 words instead. At 20 minutes a day one has to save time somewhere.
0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:33 am

I took the DLIFLC ODA for Russian Reading:

RussianReadingODA_20181215.png

Still need to take the listening assessment. I see the ODA is also available for Turkish. That might be a better option than a self-scored TELC mock exam ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Impressive! I couldn't find my way through the first text myself.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:47 pm

And here is my Russian Listening ODA. So I can now say I have B2-equivalent mock exam results for receptive skills in Russian. Only took 3 years, 3 months and a little over 2000 hours.

RussianListeningODA_20181219.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
9 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt

Postby Xmmm » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:28 am

Italian

I'm reading a book translated from English (Quando la moneta muore). I read it in English maybe 20 years ago, so I'm familiar with it but have forgotten all the details obviously. I have a stack of books to read in Italian but little time to do it.

Mostly I listen to audio books in the car. I need to get some new ones. I see Lorenzo Pieri has just recorded Sciascia's Il Contesto and I'm looking forward to that. And Todo Modo is being recorded. I found Todo Modo a little weird when I read it -- it was not my favorite. Hopefully listening to it will give me more insight into what it's really about.

i've done 57 lessons with the same tutor on Italki. That's going well. I probably need another 557, but I'm not the least bit unhappy with where I'm at.

Russian

I've been struggling a bit to find the path forward here. I finished watching невский, which was a great series with a rather surprising ending. But Russian TV is so hit-and-miss. For example, I watched episode one of Возмездие. The lead actor is the same guy from Мажор, only he's put on about 50 pounds and looks rather soft and weak. That wouldn't be a problem, except he's supposed to be a спецназ guy just back from the war in Syria. It strains credulity, to say the least.

There's some show called Sparta on Netflix that's in Russian. I guess I'll gave that a try. But only 8 episodes, unlikely in Turkish where shows have 97 episodes. [update: Спарта is great!]

For reading I've started the Ray Dalio book. Not finding it compelling but I'll press on with it. I do need to push myself to read more, so thank goodness for the clock running on the super challenge.

Turkish

I've gone bananas with the TV here. I really love Turkish TV. Obviously some of it is not good. The new Netflix show set in Istanbul looks to be not good. I've seen a couple not good shows. I've also seen one show that is good, but over-hyped (Ezel). It's not as good as it's claimed to be.

On the other hand, when it's great it's really great. For me, in order, my favorites are:

1. Behzat Ç.
2. 46 Yok Olan
3. Vatanım Sensin
4. Oyunbozan

Oyunbozan is a little strange because it looks like the series was canceled unexpectedly. The last episode has a weird 10 minute postscript that tries to tie up a couple of hundred loose ends -- not very successfully. But for all that, it was a really fun ride. And of course I learned the handy word trombosit (platelet) which I'm sure I'll use all the time when I start speaking Turkish.
6 x

Return to “Language logs”