Nótaí galaxyrocker - Ancient Celtic Languages, (Old) French, Latin, Old English

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
moo

Re: Nótaí Galaxyrocker - Team Celt 2016 TAC

Postby moo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:30 pm

Unfortunately I wasn't. It just didn't work out where I was able to get to back to Ireland after everything happened. Such is life, I guess. Now I'm just doing whatever I can to find a job over there.

Cool, best of look, do you want a job where you would use Irish or is it English jobs you're looking at?

Thanks for the link, i'll definitely have a look, may make it a new year's resolution to brush up though I was thinking Chinese could be my new year's resolution :)
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

In which Galaxyrocker's books have arrived and he shares an article

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:04 pm

So all my Irish books came in yesterday, and I'm pretty dang excited to get to them. Maybe it'll motivate me to finish my current one (which is the equivalent of 8, according to the Super Challenge rules, haha). But I'm slowly starting to make progress in it again, so that's nice. Just need to stay focused. I've updated my list of the "Must Own" books at the beginning of the log. Slowly getting to collecting them all. I'm also excited that my Irish collection (including 3 Old Irish textbooks I bought for the hell of it once) is almost two shelves on my bookcase. I'd love to one day have a bookcase (or more) full of Irish stuff!

I also got to chat in Irish with a representative from Conradh na Gaeilge yesterday. They're in America doing promotion workshops on the language, and helping culture groups learn how to promote it and such. It was a great time and experience, and was some useful networking. I also learned that Conradh na Gaeilge is hiring, and that they're looking for non-Irish people, and might be able to sponsor a visa. I'll be emailing them soon about it! But it was nice to get to chat with a speaker of Irish in person again; it's quite the interesting experience when you're doing it in a restaurant it the middle of the American South!

I also want to share what basically amounts to an article I've written. I'm a pretty vocal critic of Duolingo, despite how much time I spend on there (which is usually helping people and answering questions), and, if you follow Irish news, you'll know the Irish Duolingo team has recently received a lot of praise, despite some serious flaws with the course (and Duolingo's pedagogy, in my opinion), so I decided to address this. I won't copy it all here, because it's almost 30k characters long and relies heavily on Markdown syntax, which I don't think transfers well to this forum, using BBCode. So, instead, I'll just leave this link for you to peruse. I would love to discuss Duolingo on the forum, and might make a post about it in the Language Resource section soon.

I would like to direct people to this link, where there is a fairly active Irish chat group. There's also another one with a person going over O'Siadhail's Learning Irish explaining the details of the grammar where O'Siadhail is vague and offering to correct anyone who does the exercises/translations, or work on it with them. It's an interesting place, and if you have interest in Irish, you should check it out. I mentioned it when I was meeting with the lady from Conradh na Gaeilge yesterday and she wants to share it, so expect more people. There's also the website Réimnigh, which is a verb conjugator that even shows dialects! I found this via Reddit a couple months ago and just thought to put it in there. Sadly there's not many verbs yet, but it's grown since my post, and it's interesting if you're interested in dialects. It also allows you to compare them. Just some more interesting stuff for y'all.

As to Japanese, I've been kinda stagnant. I finished Chapter 2 and understand the concepts and have a basic grasp of the vocabulary in it, but I never managed to bring myself to memorize the katakana like I did the hiragana. I'm going to keep working on them, but Chapter 3 is starting to integrate Kanji, so who knows how well I'll be doing that. I've been studying the grammar in it, and think I understand how verb conjugation works in the present and past tense (actually, it's not hard), but I need some practice, which thankfully the book and the workbook both have. I haven't sat down and listened to the audio yet, but I'll be doing that this coming weekend and stuff. I'd like to have Chapter 3 finished by the end of next week.

I'm also going to be going back and reviewing the other chapters, doing the practice exercises in the book to make sure I can still construct the sentences, as well as listening to the audio to make sure I can still understand it.
4 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes

In which Galaxyrocker shares a paper about translations

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:13 am

Thanks to Reddit, I recently stumbled upon a paper written by a student at Lund University in Sweden that takes a look at translations of novels. It touches on several aspects, such as do you domesticate things, do you translate place names, do you censor stuff, and even what prompts a retranslation of a book. It was a very interesting read and can be found for free here. It's fairly short, but it does raise some points about translations that I think are fairly interesting.

So, one thing to know about me, is that I generally avoid reading translated novels in Irish, especially if the novel was originally written in English. There are several reasons behind this, the main one being that I want to see more focus placed on Irish-first literature, and am quite upset by the hype that translations get in comparison to original Irish novels (even if they're written by non-natives) so I like to do my part and read only native works. Though I'd admit to changing that if, say, Don Quixote or Les Misérables were ever translated mainly because they're not originally written in languages I speak. Another reason is that I want the works to stand on their own, as the author intended. This is something that's addressed in the article, when the author talks about how translators can 'domesticize' stuff, as well as adapt things to the culture, or accidentally add a shade of meaning that's not what the author intended -- in some cases being quite different and causing issues (they give an example from the first translation of The Hobbit into Swedish). In fact, the way the author talks about translations really solidifies my views of not reading translations, though I can understand why others would want to, especially at first, and why sometimes you have to for minority languages (see: Reading the Bible).

Anyway, I just thought the paper was interesting and that some of y'all might find it interesting.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: In which Galaxyrocker shares a paper about translations

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks for sharing! I am (no doubt) familiar with The Hobbit (I have read the Hallqvist translation in Swedish, and some years ago the Irish translation and the English original in tandem).

Speaking of translations and Irish, I got Cuairt Na Cruinne in Ochtó Lá (Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne) in the mail just a few days ago. It was a while since I read in Irish.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Re: Nótaí Galaxyrocker -- Irish and Wanderlust

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:35 pm

I'm going to review a program I discussed a while ago and then completely forgot about: Blas. As I mentioned in the original post, the website and program seems to be solely in Irish (the website does have an English option, but the blas page doesn't exist). The program is designed for teachers teaching students at the "second level", which is roughly equivalent of American High School.

It starts out with the introduction (a lesson 10 recording comes first, for some odd reason, though). This is mostly for the benefit of the teacher, looking over it, and it asks the students to pick out words they hear in a recording, and includes a short questionnaire about how well they can differentiate and make the sounds, as well as some attitudes towards the sounds they have. This would be great to have with a highly fluent teacher, though I do admit to worrying about how it would go over with learners who don't think there's any difference between English sounds and Irish ones (I know people who claim they need to speak Irish exactly like they speak English because 'my accent comes from Irish'), or with teachers who don't understand themselves. But, if you get honest students, it could be a really good starting point to see where they are.

Then you reach the lessons themselves, which are very useful. It has a conversation between two or three people, generally covering the dialects. All three are used, with one person speaking each one. It then brings a 'sound in focus', and explains about it, especially sounds that are different than English. This is mainly a palatalized sound, or a sound that doesn't exist in English (for example /x/). There are several practices with this, and it asks you to distinguish minimal pairs, matching them with the correct sound, or, in lesson 2, saying if the word is the same or different. It also often includes diagrams of where to place the tongue and such, something else that is very useful. I personally find this a great way for practicing picking up these sounds, and it's similar to Gabriel Wyner's system, if I remember his correctly.

On top of the student's book, there's also a teacher's manual and notes for the teacher. These both contain answers and some more information about the sounds. This makes it useful to students who are studying alone, as they can use the teachers manual without needing a teacher. Granted, a knowledge of Irish is needed as everything is in Irish, but this is still useful. I would recommend this to anyone who is teaching a class in Irish, as it can be a great way to really get the sounds of Irish imparted to learners, and it's also a great way for learners who have trouble distinguishing the sounds. I'm definitely going to be including this in the future, if I teach Irish or work with learners, and I might incorporate it into my own study of Irish, since I'm currently working on getting my pronunciation down pat.

I'm also going to include how I would use the book.

First, I would listen to the conversation, without looking at the transcript. I would also try to transcribe it out on my own, which shouldn't take too many repetitions as they're fairly short (at least early on). Then I would compare my transcription to the official one, and listen again while reading it. Then I would listen once more without reading. This is the same method I recommend using on Vifax, which uses clips from NuachtTG4 (which often includes interviews with non-natives, so Blas might be better).

Then I would read the discussion in the student's book to learn more about what they want to draw your attention to. I would tentatively look into the teacher's manual and the teacher's notes over that section to see if there is any additional information about it, though I would be hesitant because I don't want to ruin the answers to the questions.

I would then do the first practice, repeating it as many times as needed until I felt comfortable and confident with my answers. I would then check my answers, and, if any were wrong, I would listen until I could pick them out and get them right. Make sure everything is pretty much understood before moving on. Then read the information between exercises, and repeat. I would probably do a lesson a week, unless I had more time, and go over them at least twice to stay in practice.

This needs to be done in conjunction with watching TG4 and/or listening to Raidio na Gaeltachta. I hesitate to recommend TG4 even, as there's a few presenters on the show who don't have a good command of Irish sounds. I would recommend avoiding the other radio stations while doing this, as they often don't use native speakers (or "natives" who were raised by learners with no interaction to natives in the Gaeltacht) and they often make the kinds of mistakes the book is trying to correct.

Along with this it's made me want to create a website of minimal pairs, as well as testing a user on each of them, for the dialects. The design of the website won't be too hard, but I'll need to get recordings. I've found a good list of minimal pairs (for consonants) in three main subdialects - Carraroe, Gweedore, and Corca Dhuibhe - so I now need to find native speakers to record them for me and get the website up and running. This could easily be on the same page as another website I did I was suggested a "slot machine" of Irish, where it gives you a verb and two nouns, leaving the user to create a sentence out of them (to be used in conjunction with a teacher). I might get on those as it wouldn't take but a little Javascript to get them both done, though part of me wants to overkill it and use Python instead.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Re: In which Galaxyrocker shares a paper about translations

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:37 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Thanks for sharing! I am (no doubt) familiar with The Hobbit (I have read the Hallqvist translation in Swedish, and some years ago the Irish translation and the English original in tandem).

Speaking of translations and Irish, I got Cuairt Na Cruinne in Ochtó Lá (Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne) in the mail just a few days ago. It was a while since I read in Irish.

Not a problem! I figured you'd find it interesting, seeing as you speak Swedish lol. Also, I hadn't even heard of that novel being translated, so please let me know if the translation is any good, so I can recommend it to others who do like translations. Also, I have some children's books with audio in pdf/mp3 format. Just PM me if you'd like to see it.
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:51 pm

As some of you might know, I have a weird attraction to Northern Sámi (well, all of the Sámi languages really) and it's the one language that I would be really disappointed if I never learned. I've already got my eyes set on the English grammar that's going to be released by Routledge in March, and will likely preorder it right after the holidays. But, I'd like to share a little video I found about them. It was posted on /r/linguistics on Reddit, and I just thought it an interesting overview of them all. This user also does overviews like this for other languages, as well as some pronunciation features from what I saw.

It's called Introduction to the Sami Languages

3 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

In which Galaxyrocker does a year in review

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:12 pm

New Year's Eve is finally among us, and I think it's time I do a Year In Review post, as well as discuss some plans I have for next year.

So my journey through languages this year was pretty eclectic. I've stayed constant with Irish, even doing an immersion program, though I was forced to leave before I was able to complete the Masters in Irish. I'm still looking for a way to move back to the Gaeltacht in Ireland, and would love to move there any slowly integrate into the community, though I don't have much hope for the fate of Irish there. On terms of ability, I say I was approaching C1, at least in my reading and speaking skills, and could easily hold a conversation about pretty much any topic. I needed to work on my active vocabulary for a part of the CEFR test, as well a work on my listening just in general, for radio broadcasts, TV shows, etc. All that said, I was easily C1 according to their "Diploma" programs that are offered, which my teacher over the summer (who teaches it at NUIG) said was easier than the mock C1 exam I showed him from the official site. So that's a good plus at least.

I was also pretty consistent on using the language when I first returned, but that's slipped off. I need to get into a habit again with reading and listening. I chat fairly regularly, at least via text, and my native speaker friend said it was grand if I wanted to send him recordings of me reading to criticize my pronunciation. So I'll be doing all of that and more this year, all while trying to get back to Ireland (see note about Japan, though).

I've made three interesting (to me) programming projects for Irish so far, and hope to do more for the promotion of the language and the dialects. So that'll hopefully also be able to help me network in an odd way to get a job over there. [i[Le cúnamh Dé[/i].

I wandered through two other main languages this year, though: Japanese and French. I went on and off with both, but dedicated most of my time to Japanese after really getting serious about the martial art I practice, and learning more about Japan's culture and history, which are extremely interesting to me. I'm going to stick with it this year, for sure, and recently started practice back up which was super motivating. I've also applied for the JET program, and should hear about the first round soon. If I get that, and do well on the interview, I'm going to really work at it diligently, that way I can utilize living in Japan to its utmost. So I'm going to buckle down on that this coming year, and really work hard on Genki and getting the katakana/kanji learned.

As for French, it was my first foray into a foreign language, and it still holds a special place for me because of that. But otherwise, I don't have much of a reason to learn it, though it'd be nice to be literate. I'm not sure if I'll touch it again this coming year, though. Really just depends. I will probably dabble a little in Northern Sámi once Routledge released their book, however, as it's an interesting language to me. If I can get the book and maybe find a dictionary (I've also heard on Reddit, from Henkkles, who has a log here that they're working on a Glossika program for it!), I might try to find a speaker and practice with that. We'll just have to see.

That's really all my language-related plans, and I won't bore you with my possible career related ramblings (apart from trying to get to Ireland if the JET doesn't work out, or even if it does as long as I can withdraw). Hope everyone has a great 2017 ahead of them!

Áthbliain faoi mhaise dhaoibh uilig! (Happy New Year to all y'all!)
4 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

In which Galaxyrocker begins 2017

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:37 pm

So, 2017 is here (and has been for a few days), and I'm finally getting around to starting off the year's log. To start with, I've already done more with Irish this year than I did the last few weeks of last year combined! I found a very uncomplicated way to get TG4 videos onto my computer, which allows me to then port them to my phone even. So I can watch it pretty much whenever I want and have time. I've also been more consistent reading in Irish, though I'm not reading as much a day as I need to. Hopefully once I get to the weekends and novels/short stories I can possibly pick that up. I think it's just because there's so many short (two or three paragraphs) stories in the current collection that I keep thinking one is a good stopping point. Though I admit to getting distracted with some of my Christmas gifts as well! I do constantly type in Irish, and am even thinking of starting a blog on some more advanced grammatical topics, as well as on some things that learners often struggle with, which i hope will help solidify my knowledge. But we'll just have to see if I have time for that.

Though, on the topic of my reading, I did just pick up a few more books (I'm obsessed!). One of the many Irish language organizations in Ireland has started a new "holiday" called Leabhra Feabhra (February's books) where you give an Irish speaker (or get yourself) an Irish language book on St. Bríd's Day (Feb. 1). It's taken hold fairly well, and there's a few books that are catching my attention, outside the "Must Read" list that I'm thinking of picking up. I also must confess that I've learned a lot of words I never would have learned from this book of seanchas (lore, tradition, stories, etc). Words such as the names of the youth of several animals, castration (as well as techniques) and other things such as how to use the fox's tongue for medicine. It's been a very interesting read, that's for sure, and very much a look into a vastly different time. I'll probably have to reread it later on as well, it's just that interesting.

Japanese however, has been the exact opposite of Irish. I've got the files for Genki and the workbook on my phone,b ut I haven't been listening to them. I've been going over the grammar of the first three chapters before bed, but haven't been working through Chapter 3 or working on the katakana/kanji. I think I'm going to start waking up earlier in order to get it out of the way before work. Something the study group suggested that I'd like to do is watch movies in Japanese, even if I can't understand it. So, does anyone happen to know any Japanese language movies about martial arts? I've been on a huge kick of the old Hong Kong MA films recently (and some newer ones, but all in Mandarin/Cantonese) and would love to possibly find some in Japanese (with English subs, please!).
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:49 pm

I'm a huge fan of Akira Kurosawa's work. These aren't Martial Arts per se, but Samurai movies. Many of these were the inspiration for many popular western films The Seven Samurai -> The Magnificent Seven; The Hidden Fortress -> Star Wars; Yojimbo (available at archive.org) -> A Fistful of Dollars. I just ordered Throne of Blood on DVD.

These are films from the 1950's and in black and white. Kurosawa was a master filmmaker.

I don't know about language practice because the material is set in medieval Japan and Samurai tend to shout at each other a lot. I watched The Hidden Fortress last week with Portuguese subtitles and liked it. There are definitely Star Wars parallels.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”