Nótaí galaxyrocker - Ancient Celtic Languages, (Old) French, Latin, Old English

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Nótaí Galaxyrocker -- Irish and French with wanderlust ramblings

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:00 am

Many thanks to everyone who's responded. Lots of interesting things to look through, and I'm grateful for it. I surely won't have a problem finding something now, but please keep any recommendations coming. The more, the merrier.
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes

Re: Nótaí Galaxyrocker -- Started strong...

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:36 am

04/09:

Watched an episode of Ros na Rún (25 min). Not sure if it was a full episode, but there are two in the video and they seemed to have spliced them together, so I stopped halfway through it. I believe they skipped an episode online, episode 4, as it seems like there was a huge jump in the plot. It's annoying, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it and keep moving on (watched half of the episode 5/6 they had online).

05/09:

Didn't get much done today between gym, emergency load of laundry (spilt chocolate soy milk all over my pants and shirt -- thankfully no staining!), interview, and the board game night I've been going to (been going for a couple of weeks now). We played Rococo which was fun. I got last place...badly. I made a lot of mistakes early in the game that came back to bite me in the end, really. But I'm also not sure what I'd really do different if I were to play again. There's another game night on Thursday I might go to as well. I said I was interested, just will likely depend on how I feel and the weather.

06/09:

Watched episodes 6,7 and 8 of Ros na Rún (75 min). It's not what I'd normally watch (because I normally don't watch tv!), but it's interesting enough, and the quality of the Irish is enough to keep me returning. Especially as they've removed the burnt-in subtitles, so I can watch it purely in Irish with no subtitles. It's actually quite great for practice.

Watched a documentary in French too -- Thaïlande, les derniers chasseurs-cueilleurs | Les Mlabri (49 min).
Overall, it was a very interesting, if depressing film. It's sad this way of life is being semi-forcibly lost, and that the culture/tradition/language(s) are being lose with forced integration... Not to mention how it seems tourists treat them like a zoo whereas missionaries come in with white saviour attitudes ("they used to fear because of their belief in spirits, but we teach them Jesus and they don't fear") that are set on destroying cultures/traditional beliefs. But it was a choice the elders felt they had to make, and they talk about how easy it is to get food from the Thai government and the tourists, and the much lower rates of child mortality, etc, and they're not forced to convert (at least Christianity, they are forced to do Buddhist rituals and stuff under the Thai government). Near the end, they were teaching some words of their language, which I thought was neat. The film ended with one of the elders saying "I am happy here. Ever since we immigrated I have tried to return to the forest," though he's not sure if his grandkids could survive in it. Another one "I love the forest. I love to be in the forest. The village, I don't like it"

I'd recommend it, but the documentary made me feel for these people, and frustrated in a lot of ways. Also made me rethink the ethics of tourism to these smaller ethnic groups. I want to visit them, learn about their language and culture and maybe even live along them for a bit...but is that just exoticising them as these other tourists did? It's a complex issue.

September Recap and Thoughts

French Listening: 179 min
French Reading: 120 pages
Irish Reading: 18 pages
Irish Listening: 179 min

Weekly Recap and Thoughts

French Listening:49 minutes
French Reading: 58 pages
Irish Reading: 18 pages
Irish Listening: 100 minutes

Histore du livre: 522 / 722
Cruithneacht agus Ceannabháin: 18 / 202

So far I'm happy I've given Ros na Rún a shot. For so long I turned away from it because I barely watch TV, and soaps generally aren't my thing. But I'm really enjoying it, and am trying to stop myself from binging it actually. We'll see if this keeps up, as I tend to think most TV shows go on for way too long, but we'll see.

I'm honestly not sure where to gauge my French level. Sometimes, I can understand most the stuff the people in the documentaries say... other times I understand nothing. Even in the same documentary. Maybe I should go back to something more learner-oriented, such as Inner French, or maybe I should pursue forward with stuff aimed for natives. A graded audio, like they have with graded readers, could be great. I might have to search if something exists. Wouldn't be surprised if CLE publishes something for it.

The latter part of the week was dedicated to reading mostly. I got the next Irish book I was going to read in on Friday from the library (still looking for a physical copy to buy, but it's rare). Since I have to have Histore du livre finished by the end of the month, I've also been devoting a lot of time to that as well to make sure it's done. Some other stuff I've got to finish (in English) for the same reason. Probably be the same for the next few weeks, though I hope to get more listening comprehension in than I did this week. I did go ahead and buy the next book I'm going to read in French -- the history of the Cathars, which was recommended here. I've been wanting to read about them for a while, and was able to get it shipped for €10 (unfortunately I had to use Amazon as the publisher only ships in France), and it should arrive tomorrow. Won't start it yet due to needing to finish the other one, but somewhat excited.

I also really need to work on productive skills in French. I still haven't done any writing or speaking. Really, none at all since I came back from Nice. I need to fix this. There's a weekly meetup for language learning in Dublin, maybe I should start going there to meet people from France. Or get an iTalki tutor... or go back to Nice (if I get a job)
8 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Re: Nótaí Galaxyrocker -- Another wasted week

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:38 am

11/09:

Did a lesson in Grammaire Progressive, on numeral usage. While I like the questions, sometimes I don't think they give enough information to answer them, but as long as what I had agreed kinda with the key, I was happy.

Also read the first unit in Cruinnscríobh na Gaeilge. While I'm going through Learning Irish, it's very dialectal, especially in how it treats the genitive case, so I figured Cruinnscríobh would be better to help me prepare. We'll see how far I get along in it. It starts very basic, though maybe I should speed through the first few lessons instead of doing one a day.

14/09:

Did another lesson in Grammaire Progressive and Cruinnscríobh

French Listening:minutes
French Reading: 105 pages
Irish Reading: pages
Irish Listening: minutes

Histore du livre: 627 / 722
Cruithneacht agus Ceannabháin: 18 / 202

This week's been a bit of a wash. Got a lot of French reading done, but that's about it. Granted, it was my major focus because I have to take the book back before the end of the month (should have it done in time, thankfully). Also had some personal stuff crop up that sapped motivation to study, but I've got a big reason to focus on Irish for the next week, so apart from French reading (I might listen to InnerFrench when I'm walking again to keep up with that practice), expect to see a lot more with Irish than anything else.
7 x

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:43 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:Many thanks to everyone who's responded. Lots of interesting things to look through, and I'm grateful for it. I surely won't have a problem finding something now, but please keep any recommendations coming. The more, the merrier.
I was recently reminded of the Texto collection by the Tallandier editions. Inexpensive, small (but often thick) volumes on a wide array of historical topics. Generally written by university professors but very accessible.

https://www.tallandier.com/livre/histoi ... rcellerie/
5 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:55 pm

guyome wrote:
galaxyrocker wrote:Many thanks to everyone who's responded. Lots of interesting things to look through, and I'm grateful for it. I surely won't have a problem finding something now, but please keep any recommendations coming. The more, the merrier.
I was recently reminded of the Texto collection by the Tallandier editions. Inexpensive, small (but often thick) volumes on a wide array of historical topics. Generally written by university professors but very accessible.

https://www.tallandier.com/livre/histoi ... rcellerie/

Many thanks! That sounds perfect!
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Re: Nótaí Galaxyrocker -- Fornight and September Review

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:19 pm

21/09:

Ros na Rún (28 minutes), episode 1-9

22/09:

Episode 3-2 of Baile an Droichid (22 min).

September Recap and Thoughts

French Listening: 179 min
French Reading: 325pages
Irish Reading: 68 pages
Irish Listening: 229 min

Fortnightly Recap and Thoughts

French Reading: 100 pages
Irish Reading: 50 pages
Irish Listening: 50 minutes

Histore du livre: 722 / 722
Cruithneacht agus Ceannabháin: 67 / 202

Ended up finishing the month mostly focused on reading. Hoping for a more well-balanced October, which I should have given I don't have to rush to get books done before library deadlines for a bit.
6 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:28 pm

Not much to report this week. I took a trip out to Conamara for a session that was on. it was like going 100 years into the past, it was kind of crazy. No cell service, so everyone was focused on the session. No English, except for the occasional song. Was perfect, honestly. I kinda regret not moving out there. Conversation circle on Friday as well. Nothing much listening wise; so much for being better balanced this month.

French Reading: 41 pages
Irish Reading: 50 pages
Irish Listening: minutes

Histore des Cathares: 41 / 497
Cruithneacht agus Ceannabháin: 115 / 202
9 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:44 am

12/10:

Listened to an episode of Inner French (33 min) and two episodes of Baile and Droichid (22 min)

19/10:

Episode of PM (25 min)

25/10:

Inner French (37 min)

26/10:

Inner French (30 min)

28/10:

Inner French (37 min)

30/10:

Documentary Monstres et animaux mythiques (52 min). This is my second time watching it. I thought it was familiar, but hadn't recorded the title. Either way, it was still good practice for my comprehension. I feel I understand more of it now than I did back in July watching it, but I can't be sure.

October Recap and Thoughts

French Listening: 177 min
French Reading: 129 pages
Irish Reading: 137 pages
Irish Listening: 22 min

Histore des Cathares: 129 / 497
Cruithneacht agus Ceannabháin: 202 / 202

It's been a very inconsistent month, for various reasons. I'm going to try to get back into a more regular posting style, but I don't know. In good news, I have gotten a job! And, what's more, it's quite possibly my dream job. I'll be working as a research assistant -- through Irish and on Irish language stuff. Which makes it even more ironic I haven't done much through Irish since finding out, apart from my normal conversations. Kinda makes me nervous honestly. The contract is only 11 months, so if it doesn't get renewed or I end up hating it (Heaven forbid!), I can still go to France next year, which gives me a nice backup plan. The pay isn't great, but it's enough to let me save. And if I get a renewal for two years, I can get the hosting agreement, which will lead to permanent residency eventually. So overall, I'm excited.

I've got to divide my time better now, however. Especially as I'm wanting to find some new hobbies since my biggest one (Irish stuff) is now becoming a day job. Looking at maybe getting back into some martial arts, especially as I can't run due to a persistent foot injury (going to a physio as soon as I get that first paycheck as well to get this fixed), so need some other type of exercise. I also have to switch around my gym days/times. I'll probably start doing a French lesson on iTalki of a weekend, to help with speaking as I still rarely speak even though I listen/read regularly. Lots of possibilities now that I'll be making money. But I do need to do something to help my active French skills since they never get used.

With Irish, the Oireachtas is coming up the first weekend of November, and I'm going this year. I'm excited for that, as it'll just be a full weekend of Irish and drinking (even if I'm going to attempt to not drink for November), and hopefully I can find a copy of the book I'm looking for, or several other of the older Conamara ones I've got my sights on. It'll be a huge event though, and I'm super excited for it. Lots of friends from Dublin are going too, so we'll hopefully have a night out.

I've also requested some more Old Irish/Middle Welsh books for Christmas. Hopefully I'll get them and then will start on that come the new year, for when I go to Brest (it'll happen, it just might be years in the future after I have Irish citizenship, unless my new job will pay for a masters/PhD). Might even just go ahead and buy one and start right away, with Middle Welsh.
15 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:18 pm

Congratulations on getting the job!
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:45 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Congratulations on getting the job!

Thanks. I'm trying not to hype it up too much, as, at least at first glance, it quite literally seems like a dream job as I'll also be working on Dúchas, which is the site that is digitising all the folklore manuscripts. I'm super excited about it though.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”