Nótaí galaxyrocker - Ancient Celtic Languages, (Old) French, Latin, Old English

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Nótaí Galaxyrocker -- Irish and Wanderlust

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:15 pm

Thanks iguanamon! Those sound very interesting. To be honest, I'm not using them fully for language practice, as my Japanese ability is nowhere near high enough to watch a film and recognize anything but simple words. I have just been enjoying those films and figured it couldn't hurt to watch some in Japanese instead. Generally, when I think of Japanese films, I go to Miyazaki and Ghibli, so it's nice to get something other than that as well.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:35 pm

Sadly, there hasn't been much to report it. I've been slipping from working recently, though I have been trying to at least keep listening to chapters 1 anad 2 of Genki to at least keep up with that. Really, it's not time that's an issue it's just getting focused and actually putting in the work. I have been listening to some Irish, as they've had a lot of interesting videos on TG4 recently, including some about the first firefighters in Connemara (in Carraroe, no less) so they speak very dialectal Irish. Also a couple of other great things, such as poitín (basically moonshine) that's being made and sold by the grandson of the author of the book I'm reading (and have been reading), hwo is the son of the editor. It's quite interesting, as the book talks about making poitín. And even some more stuff about the Gaeltachts on tv and schools around them, etc. Just a lot of interesting stuff over all. That said, I'm still not doing it as much as I want. I just really need to get focused and do it instead of spending hours aimlessly browsing Reddit!

The same holds true with Japanese, as I've been accepted to interview for the program I applied for to teach English over there. Not sure if it's truly what I want to do, just because I'm starting to feel the pressure of needing to start a career, etc. But enough about that, because I'd still love to learn Japanese to read anyway. I just need to get focused.

I also wanted to share the sales I posted in Team Celtic, just in case anyone reading this but not that is interested (as much as I doubt it lol)

Futa Fata -- 20%
Cló Iar-Chonnachta -- 20% with the code LF2017
An Siopa Leabhair -- 15% with the code leabhra17
Leabhar Breac – 20%
Cois Life – 20%
Litriocht.com - 15% with code LF17
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:28 am

Somehow I've not kept up reading your log. Oops.

Martial arts films in Japanese - off the top of my head, Sonny Chiba's better stuff (Karate Baka ichidai, and the other one based on Mas Oyama, or the Street Fighter) comes to mind. I actually have a bunch on DVD, I'll have to drag them out and look to recommend some names. Kurosawa films are good, but often have actors with no actual technique (e.g. the actor playing the best swordsman in Seven Samurai never held a sword before the movie). But if you watch yojimbo, watch sanjuro too. Several of those films are also Shakespeare redone, I think Hidden Fortress takes themes from Macbeth, and Ran is King Lear.
Let's see, there's a Korean film about Oyama called Fighter in the Wind (English title), that's about half in Japanese. Anything else I'd have to drag out the box, I never set up the DVD player after we moved (what life changes do to you, haha).
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Systematiker wrote:Martial arts films in Japanese - off the top of my head, Sonny Chiba's better stuff(...)

Do any of the movies in this DVD box apply? I haven't seen a film with him since Kill Bill, but have that box lying somwhere.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:14 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Systematiker wrote:Martial arts films in Japanese - off the top of my head, Sonny Chiba's better stuff(...)

Do any of the movies in this DVD box apply? I haven't seen a film with him since Kill Bill, but have that box lying somwhere.

Yeah, the "street fighter" series of movies, including the spin-off "sister street fighter" - and that reviewer calling his form "sloppy" really just shows that it's a lack of knoweldge about what Chiba is doing. Granted, sometimes it's a little exaggerated for the movies, but Chiba was no slouch as a practicioner of kyokushinkai (and I'm pretty sure nearly everyone in the dojo in the original Street Figher movie was a real kyokoshinkai student, Chiba really wanted to spread the art). The two biopics where Chiba actually plays Oyama aren't in that box, they're worth looking for as well (some of the same actors show up in them as well).
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks for the info! (And apologies for briefly hijacking your log, galaxyrocker!) I'll return the favour the day someone wants advice on Chinese martial arts movies. 8-)
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:15 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Thanks for the info! (And apologies for briefly hijacking your log, galaxyrocker!) I'll return the favour the day someone wants advice on Chinese martial arts movies. 8-)

No need to apologize! I appreciate the discussion, and am glad to see some more titles to check out. And, please, fell free to discuss some Chinese ones. I haven't had time to watch much lately, but I've just been Googling lists of "Best martial arts films" and watching what's been recommended there, then following Netflix's recommendations. Pretty good, but very impersonal and hit-and-miss in my opinion.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Stylistically, Donnie Yen is very very good, though sometimes you can tell how little is really done in one shot. His Ip Man movies are pretty true-to-style, and in the first one, the Japanse stylists aren't bad either. Moving away from Asia, Chuck Norris is almost always true-to-style, though you notice as he gets older that he revives some Judo (He was a 1st kyu, I think, before an injury and switching to TSD in Korea [I'm rather partial here, as a 4th Dan in TSD]). The Transporter movies, interestingly enough, also show a good stylistic awareness, when they're not too unrealistic. I really will drag out my DVDs sometime this week and get you some more recommendations - though none of it is a recommendation about the quality of the film, but rather the martial arts in the film (haha!).
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:50 pm

I was going to mention Donnie Yen! (He's also in Star Wars:Rogue One, by the way) The Ip Man movies are great. Sammo Hung did the action choreography and also has experience of wing chun. In the movie, he's a Hung Gar master, and Feng Ko An/Fung Hak On shows some baguazhang (however a bit in the stereotypical circle walking style).
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:57 pm

I did watch Ip Man, which was a lot of fun; I had no idea Yen was in Rogue One, though. Now I really need to get around to it.

Systematiker wrote:Stylistically, Donnie Yen is very very good, though sometimes you can tell how little is really done in one shot. His Ip Man movies are pretty true-to-style, and in the first one, the Japanse stylists aren't bad either. Moving away from Asia, Chuck Norris is almost always true-to-style, though you notice as he gets older that he revives some Judo (He was a 1st kyu, I think, before an injury and switching to TSD in Korea [I'm rather partial here, as a 4th Dan in TSD]). The Transporter movies, interestingly enough, also show a good stylistic awareness, when they're not too unrealistic. I really will drag out my DVDs sometime this week and get you some more recommendations - though none of it is a recommendation about the quality of the film, but rather the martial arts in the film (haha!).

That's actually preferable to me, though I can admit I do like the cheesiness of some of the older ones at times! I started doing Aikido two years ago, but leaving for Ireland in July led me to quit; I really need to pick it back up, but I live 30 minutes away and don't work in said town anymore, and can't make the morning classes (though I'm going to try to at least attend part of them to see if I can make it back to work in time). But, yeah, getting back on topic, I like seeing that, and seeing how various styles look in actuality.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”