Nótaí galaxyrocker - Ancient Celtic Languages, (Old) French, Latin, Old English

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Nótaí Galaxyrocker -- Way too ambitious

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:45 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:But, really, the main issue is that it's difficult to find hobbies and such, and break into friend groups.

I feel your pain. I happen to play Irish music, which is also what brought me to Ireland in the first place. (Even if you don't know anyone else, you can play in sessions every day if you want.) But I'd never go anywhere else and hope to find groups doing the same hobbies as I. Those people are already in my home town.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:27 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote: But I'd never go anywhere else and hope to find groups doing the same hobbies as I. Those people are already in my home town.

I don't even really think it's this. I've found groups that pursue the same hobbies (Irish, board games, etc.). And I do have friends here - even if it seems like I don't! - both Irish and expat, some of which I could see forming into good friendships over time. I think it's more that these people also have other friends who are closer, and who they just 'chill' with, as opposed to devoting specific hobbies to being with. People they've grown up with, gone to school with, etc. There's a deeper bond there, something that I really realised I was lacking when I went home and hung out with the people I have that bond with. I think someone moving to where I live at home would suffer the same problems; in fact, the only member of our group who didn't go to school with us is dating someone else, and it took her a bit of hanging out frequently to truly get comfortable. It's something I could work on, but I need to be more proactive at meeting people, talking to people and then inviting people to do stuff. It also doesn't help that most 'hanging out' here is just...drinks at the pub. That's where I hoped another hobby could help a lot.

Note that I also think this problem is quite common in the developed world, where people move to pursue jobs. Unless you move right out of university, and often with others from your university, I feel it becomes a struggle to make these deep bonds with other people, and they're something that we as humans generally need to be psychologically healthy. Same with family. I do think that's a big part of why loneliness seems to be becoming epidemic across the world; we're destroying our close-knit social bonds and not being able to replace them, and friendship is becoming very superficial. But who knows, maybe it's just me? Cause I wouldn't say I'm 'lonely', just that I want something more out of friendships, something that I have/had at home but don't have here (yet?).

But enough ranting and rambling about that! This isn't meant to be my whining place, and I do still enjoy Ireland despite its faults and love being able to work with Irish. Just my priorities have started to shift, and I've found other interests in the Celtic languages. I'm going to try to get back to my language-related talks now, as I've gone completely off-topic and people don't want to read my random rantings about friendship.
8 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes

Re: Nótaí Galaxyrocker -- Week 1 Recap

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:35 pm

Well, I wish I could say I was off to a good start, but I'm definitely not. Week 1 has been a utter failure. However!, I did predict this week to be an utter failure, some reasons due to things in my control, some not

On the first and second of January I was on my annual New Year's trip with friends. We got back at 16.30 and I had to go somewhere with my parents to meet family friends at 17.30. Then it was just home and almost straight to bed I was so exhausted.

January 3 was spent packing, doing last minute visits of friends and family and picking up some gifts for friends here in Ireland (American foods they can't get cheaply over here).

January 4 I was on the plane. I did do some French listening, but I was dozing on and off, so I didn't count it and actually redownloaded the podcast episode to listen to it later.

January 5 I was exhausted from the flight, and also got sick. It wasn't fun.

January 6 I was working, and recovering from that illness. Did meet a friend for some Irish conversation at night, but was back home at 10.30, asleep by 11.30...Didn't wake up until noon.

January 7 was mostly taking care of things I needed to get done as well as still recovering from this sickness.

Edit: Did watch some football in French. About 80 minutes worth, so that's something.

That said, I've managed to get through my Irish plans, having read 10 pages of Lámh Láidir and the 5 pages of both the Caighdeán and An Béal Beo. Still waiting on my Middle Welsh textbook to arrive. We'll see how things shape up this week. Given that I'm back to work on the commute I should have plenty of more time, so that's a nice sign.
7 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:03 pm

Did all my Irish reading goals for the week. This includes the 10 pages of An Lámh Láidir as well as the 5 in both the Caighdeán and An Béal Beo. I intend to go back through these, especially Ó Neachtain and Ó Máille's work and make a note of all the words/phrases I don't know and to add them first to an excel sheet where I've decided to track them and then to Anki (both ways). I'm doing this because the purpose of this project is to put snazz on my Irish, and I can't do that just by reading. I've got to work on also being able to use the stuff I come across. I also hope to start taking more notes on it, and how things are used in the dialect, so that I could potentially discuss it in a more linguistically-oriented manner in the future.

Didn't do my Irish listening at work as I originally had intend, but otherwise it was a decently productive day. I'm still waiting for my copy of the Middle Welsh textbook to arrive, which is annoying as I wouldn't've expected EU shipping to take this long (and I know a copy ordered on the same day has been delivered to someone in the UK already!). I did my French reading on the way in to work this morning as well as when I was heating the water for my morning tea. I don't struggle too much with understanding it, though I could do with a review of the verb forms of some of the most common irregular verbs, particularly the past simple. Also listened to one of the episodes of Les Arcanistes, on the history of Sorcery and Magic. It was much more difficult than the reading, but as long as I focused, it was doable. It was 123 minutes long.

I also started Old Irish again, rereading the first non-phonological chapter in Stifter. I'll slowly work through the exercises this week, and discuss where I think there might be some errors in them.

Watched a video that Arcana had put out a few weeks ago on Chinese mythology (46 min). It was neat, and, again, as long as I stayed focus (a harder task than I expected), I was able to understand enough to get the gist and a bit more.

French Listening: 169 min
French Reading: 11 pages
Irish Listening: 0 min
Irish Reading: 40 pages
Histore des Cathares: 199 / 497

Thoughts

I've finally got the Middle Welsh book in and the Discord-based study lessons from it start on 15.01.2023. So that'll be in next week's log. I've read through the first chapter on sounds and orthography already, and I really am enjoying how this book is laid out. One thing the author said in the introduction is that he removed exercises for it at the suggestion of several of the early reviewers; since I love exercises, I might email him and see if he has them and would be willing to send them to me for extra practice. It'd be useful. I'll forge ahead of the group I'm studying with in this, simply because I enjoy the format and will want to move at a faster pace myself. Plus it'd mean I can use the group for review later on.

While I have been reading some in Histoire des Cathares, I'm not finding the part I'm at now nearly as interesting as the early part. It's neat, but just not what I'm in the mood for I feel. I'm torn between finishing it, or picking up the book on the history of sorcery I've bought in preparation for finishing it. It wouldn't take me that long to finish if I'd just sit down and do it, especially if I look at it more as extensive reading as opposed to intensive (which I have been doing, as most my reading time is on my commute). I'll give it another week, then we'll see.

I've not managed to do anything with French output either. I need to find some writing prompts and try them, so am open to any suggestions for that. For speech, I'll hopefully find a tutor on iTalki a few times a month, just waiting for my next paycheck to get a gauge of what my budget will be once I'm off the emergency tax; I'd like to save as much as I could for the possibility of going to France, obviously.

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to approach Breton yet. I have the 'Introduction to Breton with Ease' and the 'Breton with Ease' Assimil books and audio, both in French, but am not quite sure which would be best to start with. Probably the latter as it seems to correspond to the entire two-part 'with Ease' series (I have both parts) that exist for other languages, and hopefully goes much more detailed than the former. The one lesson a day seems about right, especially following the active and passive phases in the guide on the Wiki. Given that this requires a copy of the book, I might just listen to it several times while walking home from work (or during a break at work!) and then do the part requiring the text at home, with shadowing it again the next day. It's also complicated by the fact that I have to work through the Breton book in French. We'll have to play this by ear, and it's still my lowest priority outside Latin.

Also, my work has announced that they're searching for PhD students, and one of the subjects is phraseology. This is what I'm interested in, and what I plan to write a thesis on if I go to Brest. I want to do comparative philology across the Celtic languages, maybe eventually slowly branching out to the languages that had contact with them (Old Norse, Old English, Old French, Latin) and see if there's some 'Northwestern European' idioms as opposed to just Insular Celtic ones, etc, though this probably goes well beyond the PhD stage of research. But, if I do the PhD there's a chance I can keep my job and thus stay in Ireland on a research visa for two years, which then renews into permanent visa and counts towards citizenship instead of having to switch back to a student visa. That is quite the tempting offer, if it'd be possible. The big issue is that we're unsure if there's anyone situated at the university who'd be a good supervisor for it -- or indeed, anyone really in any of the universities near Dublin (the three big ones here, and Maynooth), because of the lack of any interest in the Brythonic side of things in this country, barring UCC. My boss advised me to write up a paragraph or so proposal of the research I wanted to do, which she'll read and see if she understands, then will possibly forward it on to some potential supervisors in the country, or give me a list to do so.

I've found wanderlust is also rearing its ugly head, though I'll be disciplined enough to ignore it. Seeing some discussion about Japanese, and looking around at martial arts for a secondary hobby has gotten me interested in that, and possibly moving to Japan to become a teacher, again. I know I can't focus on it and that I shouldn't be distracted, especially with my already crazy language plans for 2023, which all revolve around me going to Brest, not Japan. But, part of me just wants to experience something completely different and see what the rest of the world is like while I'm still relatively free of obligations. It's a mess.

In Review

So far, I'm generally happy with how my overly ambitious plan is shaping up, though I have yet to add Breton or Latin, and have only barely dived into the Old Irish and Middle Welsh parts of it, let alone my other hobbies (except math, which I did do some of) since I'm waiting on my paycheck for budgeting reasons. I managed to get a decent amount of French listening in, and can easily see myself being able to up that. French reading is an issue, but I think it's mostly the book, which I'll give another week. I'm in a Discord group for Les Arcanists, which is all French so I get some reading practice there.

We'll see if I can manage to keep this up, or get better at it. There's really no excuse for me not listening to Irish while I work, at least the Conamara radio station. We're allowed to listen to music, etc., but I just don't anymore, though I went through a period where I did all day. And it's not like we really have much intra-office discussion at work sadly, so I'll have the time without distractions to do it. Just gotta do it. So that's the goal for this week, as well as figuring out how best to add Breton into my days. Likely it'll have to be at night.
14 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:48 pm

• ]We did the first bit of our Middle Welsh reading group on Discord today. We covered the vowels and diphthongs, as well as when they're lengthened or not, which turns out to be predictable in Middle Welsh. Next week we'll cover consonants and a few other things, then finally move on to what I consider the fun stuff, with verbs, syntax and morphology all to come!
  • Listened to an episode of Arcana on Youtube, from his proto-history series, talking about villages before Sumer and lost civilisations that didn't have writing, etc. 23 minutes.
  • Reread the chapter I started with in Old Irish in preparation of doing some exercises this week. I didn't get to them last week unfortunately. It's just declining nouns, so shouldn't be super time consuming.
  • Read the 5 pages of the Caigdheán for the week.
  • Continued Arcana's proto-history series, this time with a video about Göbekli Tepe and other pre-sendentary and megalithic structures, as well as cave paintings. It has me interested in if there's a book like Graber's recent Dawn of Everything in French. I've still got to finish Histoire des Cathares and the history of sorcery books first, but it never hurts to be searching right? 24 minutes.

• Declined the first few nouns in Stifter. I want to spread this over a few days so I kinda force myself to get some spaced repetition with it. I might also try adding them to Anki, with the front of the card being something like 'fer dat.sing' and making myself come up with it as well as the reverse card. I'd hope that this could help me at least learn to recognise them, especially if I add which declension class they belong to so maybe I can start intuiting the patterns from that.
  • Continued Arcana's proto-history series, this video titled "Le Mystère des Mégalithes de Malte - Culture du Néolithique". 26 min
  • Listened to Irish Aniar today, finally getting some listening practice in with Irish. Talked to one of the native speakers from Conamara who I work with as well, and it's really clear the difference between my level and his, especially in terms of pronunciation and the naturalness of it. I need to figure out how to overcome that, without living there (at least for a long while)
  • Read chapter 2 of the Middle Welsh textbook
  • Started reading the intro of Assimil Breton
  • A video by Arcana, ' Thaumaturgie, les Miracles & La magie de guérison - Les Sciences Occultes' (16 min)
    Met some friends for dinner and games tonight after work, so not much time for language learning stuff.

• Irish Aniar at work. Micheál Ó Tuathaill was the host today, and, while Máire-Bríd is great and has amazing Irish, Mícheál just came across as much more Conamara than she does at times. Perhaps it is that general thing about women leading language shift, and therefore he probably does have a thicker dialect. But it was great to hear him. Won't be able to listen tomorrow as I have an appointment during it, but hopefully this'll start getting me back on track; it's not hard to do it during work, I just have to.

• Declined the rest of the nouns in Stifter. Tried to do it without looking at the tables as much as possible, to really start to learn the inflections.
  • Got the rest of the Irish reading done for the week. 5 pages in An Béal Beo and 10 in Lámh Láidir.

French Listening: 89 min
French Reading: pages
Irish Listening: 120 min
Irish Reading: 20 pages
Histore des Cathares: 199 / 497

So far, so good. Granted, I haven't added Breton or Latin in, and I'm going at a slow rate with Old Irish and Middle Welsh (a chapter, maybe two, a week), but I'm not having too much difficulty balancing out the language studies and math (though I haven't added other new hobbies, as I'm waiting for paycheck without emergency tax to budget better), except for working on my active French skills and reading.

I think I am going to change up books, as I just have no interest at the moment in reading about the crusade against the Cathars, which is disappointing as I do find it interesting overall (though I find the practices of the Cathars more interesting); maybe the history of sorcery book will kick me back into reading French, and I can get back into Histoire des Cathares after that, or buy the book on ancient history authored by the person behind Arcana; it's fairly cheap (I love how France standardises all book prices and shipping costs).

Next week is pay week, so I might book a trial lesson with one of the French teachers on iTalki; I really need to work on my active skills, so hopefully I can even get a writing prompt that I can work on, then can practice speaking it after I've booked a lesson.

Otherwise, I still need to work out what I'm going to do with regards to vocab in Old Irish and Middle Welsh. I think I'll just create Anki decks as I come to it, listing the declension class or maybe even having all the declensions listed out. Or a separate card for each separate form, to really help. Since I'm working recognition only, that's a huge plus. Middle Welsh is easier thanks to lacking a case system - I can just put the word and its plural on one side. Modern Irish I really need to put the stuff from An Béal Beo into Anki so that I can learn to use it.

As for Breton/Latin, I do need to add them in. I'll finish the intro to Assimil Breton and aim to start it on the 30th, so that I can match it to the weeks. As for Latin, I'm just relying on LLPSI and googling stuff, and it's also not of huge importance, especially if I decide to add in other hobbies (really going to depend on cost and if I can curb my eating out). Gotta make sure I have enough money for France if that's the path I decide to take.
12 x

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:49 pm

galaxyrocker wrote: I'll finish the intro to Assimil Breton and aim to start it on the 30th, so that I can match it to the weeks.
Saw in your last post that you were still undecided about using the Initiation or the main course. Have you decided on which one you're going to use?
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:41 pm

guyome wrote:Saw in your last post that you were still undecided about using the Initiation or the main course. Have you decided on which one you're going to use?

I've started reading the main course. I feel it's better to just jump in the deep end, so to speak, and then drop down to Initiation if I find it too difficult to keep up with rather than the opposite. Not sure if it's wise, but it probably doesn't make much difference in the long run really.
7 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:09 pm

• Finished Chapter 1 of the Middle Welsh textbook in our Discord-based reading group
  • Read the 5 pages for this week in An Béal Beo

• Listend to Iris Aniar while at work. 60 minutes. There were lots of great speakers on at the end, talking about competing in the upcoming Pan-Celtic music festival. It was really good to hear even young people with strong Conamara Irish, including this year's winner of Sean-Nós na bhFear (winning song in the YouTube video). He's only 21, winning the preliminary competition for under-35 in his first year of eligibility at 18. Pandemic hit, then he won this one in his first year of eligibility as well. Coincidentally, the winner of Sean-Nós na mBan also was in her first year of eligibility, having won the preliminary competition in 2019. I would be shocked if he doesn't win the Corn Uí Ríoda (the country's premier Sean-Nós singing competition) at some point. He truly has an amazing voice, and it's great to see the tradition alive among the youth in Conamara. Plus, he's got some help -- his mom's won it before (she's also the voice on Duolingo).
  • Started reading the next chapter in Stifter's Old Irish book
  • Watched the next video in the prehistory series of Arcana, Le Mystère de Stonehenge. 25 minutes

• Irish Aniar while at work. 60 min.
  • Kept reading Ch 7 in Stifter
  • Ch 4 in the Middle Welsh textbook
  • Watched the Arcana video, Su Nuraxi, un temple mégalithique en Sardaigne (21 min)

• Finished the series I'd been watching from Aracana, with Le Cercle de Goseck et la sciences des anciens (20 min)

• Watched an Arcana video - Le culte à Mystères du Mithra. 31 min. I'm finding that as long as I focus I can follow along with these quite easily. I'd love for it to reach the level of my Irish where I don't need as much focus, but even in English I often zone out during lectures and such and have to rewind. I think it's a reason I prefer books.

French Listening: 97 min
French Reading: 34 pages
Irish Listening: 120 min
Histore de la sorcellerie: 34 / 495

Overall, a decent week. Got some good listening practice in, and did get back into reading French, if only 34 pages. Gonna try to top that this week. For stuff from An Béal Beo and Lámh Láidir, I wrote down every word and/or phrase, even if I knew it (in ABB especially) in Google Sheets. Will work on getting translations and notes, then add them to Anki to start studying. I'm very inconsistent with my French Anki though, usually only about once every other day. I need to get better at that.

With Middle Welsh, I need to do the exercises still. I've been in contact with the author, and have gotten his draft of the book which has a lot more exercises so I shouldn't be at loss. They're mostly MW > English, which is great as it's entire design is to help you read. I just need to do the exercises and add vocabulary to Anki to get better at it. With Old Irish, I've decided not to do the exercises yet, until it gets to the point where we're translating sentences instead of just declining nouns, articles and adjectives. I have no desire to write in OI and, while I understand Stifter's reasoning, it's not for me. Gotta figure out how to make Anki cards out of that as well still. Whether separate forms for each of the declined forms of the word to help me recognise it, or just to use the nominative. I'm leaning towards the former, since, while there are tendencies, there's often lots of idiosyncratic variation among nouns. And it'd help me realise it quicker when reading as well. I'd be open to any advice anyone who's studied a heavily-declined language has on this.

For Breton, I'm going to hopefully transfer the first episodes over to my phone today, and start listening tomorrow to it. That should get me doing the grammar lessons of a Sunday, which is perfect.

Finally, French. I got paid this week, and realised my take-home pay was several hundred euro larger than I thought, which also means my tax return will likely be much greater than I was anticipating; this is good news for the possibility of going to France, especially. but it means i don't feel guilty about taking some iTalki lessons. Now it's just trying to find a good teacher. I had found one I liked last week, but didn't sign up because I was waiting for payday to reassess my budgeting, but unfortunately I can't find him now. Hopefully i can. He was reasonably cheap and focused on conversation adn writing practice stuff, which is what I need to work on. He also supposedly corrects most/all mistakes, which I enjoy, especially when I'm learning and not having a conversation. I find myself catching my mistakes in Irish all the time, for instance, and correcting them; I think that immediate feedback is almost necessary to avoid fossilisation, and it doesn't bother me because, well, I know I'm shit at these languages :lol:. I can see where others with different goals and priorities would hate it though. But hopefully that gets started up this week and I can start getting some spoken practice in French. Otherwise, I'm just not sure how I'll really motivate myself to do it, even thanks to the generous offers of help I've had here.

Anyway, I hope y'all are doing well and have a good week.
12 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:30 pm

• Listened to an episode of the Arcana podcast - Le continent perdu du Mu - Du Mythe à la Réalité (32 min)
  • We covered chapters 3 and 4 in our Middle Welsh study group today. I did the exercises in preparation of it.

• Listened to an episode of Orphism on Arcana. 46 min. It was neat, what I focused in on. I'll probably give it another listen, hopefully this weekend.

• Listened to a general episode of Mystery Cults in antiquity from Arcana.34 min.

• Got all my Irish reading done and got caught up on everything. 20 pages

French Listening: 112 min
French Reading: 20 pages
Irish Listening: min
Histore de la sorcellerie: 54 / 495

This week has been less effective -- I was busy Tuesday evening with some friends, and just didn't feel great Monday, so I didn't get any French listening done. Nor have I moved the files on Breton over to my phone yet, so my ambitions aren't nearly as ambitious. I'm still searching for a French tutor on iTalki to focus on conversation practice. I had found one who seemed good at a good price last week, but then went I went to book I couldn't find him again this week. Quite frustrating!

Overall, I need to kick things back into gear this coming week. I also think I'm not going to worry about Breton quite yet, focusing instead on French/Irish/Old Irish/Middle Welsh with some dabbling now and then into Latin from LLPSI and/or Wheelock's. I want to get my goals straight with those four first as they're the main priorities and I want to be consistent with them before thinking about adding Breton. Especially as Brest is a bit more uncertain now because Ireland's Teaching Council have changed the rules on how to qualify if your credentials come from outside the country, making it easier for me to get certified, so it's quite possible I'll return to teaching. If not, I'll likely get my certification just as a backup plan at least. So we'll just have to see how things play out between that and the possible joint PhD with my current work.
9 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Re: Nótaí Galaxyrocker

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:12 pm

Last week was a wash, completely. On everything. Damn holiday weekends ruin all scheduling and motivation. Did do the lesson in Middle Welsh though I'm behind on doing the exercises. But that was about it.

• Lesson 7 and 8 in the Middle Welsh textbook
  • Arcana video of Mammon (23 min)
  • French CI video in Tintin while at work (18 min)

• Three episodes of Comhrá with Máirtín Tom Sheáinín (75 min), all with native speakers from Conamara.

Made me really want to put some snazz on my Irish pronunciation again, which is good as lately I've been finding it difficult to care about Irish at all, and just hopeless about the future of the language.
  • Video from Arcana - Histoire de la Rose-Croix. Very interesting. 30 min.

French Listening: 71 min
French Reading: pages
Irish Listening: 75 min
Irish Reading: pages
Histore de la sorcellerie: 54 / 495

The past few weeks have been rough, just in general. No motivation to do much of anything. Hopefully will be better the next few and into March
7 x

Return to “Language logs”