Dylan95's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: Dylan95's log

Postby MamaPata » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:48 am

Конечно, здесь не так холодно, как в России, а погода необычайная для нас. Не знаю сколько градусов в Лондоне, а снег не тает. Мне надо было надеть русское пальто (и сейчас мне очень жарко, сидя на поезде)! Где ты сейчас живешь в России?
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

Previously Studied and mostly forgotten
French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:20 am

MamaPata wrote:Конечно, здесь не так холодно, как в России, а погода необычайная для нас. Не знаю сколько градусов в Лондоне, а снег не тает. Мне надо было надеть русское пальто (и сейчас мне очень жарко, сидя на поезде)! Где ты сейчас живешь в России?

Я в Иркутске живу сейчас. Хороший город, где мало знают английский язык) У нас на прошлой неделе снег растаял в некоторых местах, но благодаря тому, что солнце сильно светило. Все равно будет больше снега скоро.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 am

В Москве тоже потепление, весна все-таки :lol: Но недавно было -21 ночью, по области -30. Днем все же теплее, но все равно жесть :|
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Serpent wrote:В Москве тоже потепление, весна все-таки :lol: Но недавно было -21 ночью, по области -30. Днем все же теплее, но все равно жесть :|

Скоро снег растает и наводнения начнутся по дорогам. Хотя бы так будет здесь. У вас наверное достаточно нормальный асфальт в Москве. Я несколько раз в Москву ездил, но уже не помню как у вас там.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:22 am

У нас плитка :roll: Это уже стало притчей во языцех, ну или мемом :lol: (собянинская плитка) Там, где асфальт - он ужасный :x

Но потопы бывают только летом.

:shock:
(там два видео)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Serpent wrote:У нас плитка :roll: Это уже стало притчей во языцех, ну или мемом :lol: (собянинская плитка) Там, где асфальт - он ужасный :x

Но потопы бывают только летом.

:shock:
(там два видео)

Боже, будто речка течет. У нас не было такого в Иркутске пока я здесь жил. У нас холод, но не сильно много снега и мало дожди.
1 x

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:43 pm

It really is funny how one's confidence can be sky-high one moment, only to be as low as can be the next. I had some really good conversations today on a number of topics in more academic subjects with several people, and wrote a few reviews of articles I read via РИА Новости and ББС Русская Служба. Absolutely no problems with any of that.

Then I got confident, and cracked open some of Valentin Rasputin's writings and I got hammered by words like пень and полено. (tree stump) and (A split log. Usually firewood, I think.) And those were the words that I was able to find definitions for, when I looked them up. Some literature I'm able to get through without any trouble at all, but Rasputin's stories, due to their focus on the intricacies of village life, use a lot of vocabulary that I don't know. I'm not even sure if I know the English equivalents to a lot of the words being used. Being able to read his works with 98%> comprehension is definitely a goal of mine.

I'd like to start another language at some point, but I probably won't begin until I'm back in the US. I'm trying to make the most of my time in Russia, and I'm afraid to split my Russian language time with something else. I've been thinking about studying Ukrainian, but I'm afraid of interference, and for the time being I'd prefer to continue focusing on my Russian.
Last edited by Dylan95 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 pm

I was thinking about something similar to this recently. I just read Cider with Rosie in English, and was noticing how difficult I would find it if English wasn't my native language. There's loads of nature-related vocabulary that I understand passively but couldn't define. I'd recognise that certain things were flowers, etc., but wouldn't have the faintest idea what they actually looked like. I can't imagine getting to the point where I could do that sort of thing in Russian. (Although, having started with Винни Пух, I know an oddly large number (i.e. more than one :) ) of words for trees, given how much of a city-girl I am.) I'm impressed by all your work!

Why Ukrainian? That would be fascinating. When do you go back to the US? What other languages are you thinking about?
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:51 am

MamaPata wrote:I was thinking about something similar to this recently. I just read Cider with Rosie in English, and was noticing how difficult I would find it if English wasn't my native language. There's loads of nature-related vocabulary that I understand passively but couldn't define. I'd recognise that certain things were flowers, etc., but wouldn't have the faintest idea what they actually looked like. I can't imagine getting to the point where I could do that sort of thing in Russian. (Although, having started with Винни Пух, I know an oddly large number (i.e. more than one :) ) of words for trees, given how much of a city-girl I am.) I'm impressed by all your work!

Why Ukrainian? That would be fascinating. When do you go back to the US? What other languages are you thinking about?

Exactly! At least with Russian, I bite the bullet, and shove those words that are obscure to my own life into my Anki deck. (Just in case they'll come up again, to save me the effort of checking the dictionary more than I have to). I usually don't make as much of an effort with those words though as I do with words that I feel are absolutely necessary. I don't think I'll bother studying those kinds of words in other languages, but my goal is to reach as high of a level as possible in Russian, so it makes sense for me.

I'm going back to the US in late June or early July, so I still have quite a lot of time! There are a lot of languages that I would love to study ranging from Chechen to Chinese, but I think that more realistically for the time being, I'll stick to Slavic, and then hopefully, Turkic languages. (I'm having trouble deciding between Kazakh and Uzbek, but I think Turkish is the logical starting point in any case because it has more materials)

I'm going to be studying Russian and Eurasian history in grad school for the next 2 years, so I think I should begin a new Slavic, or Turkic language during that time. I'm required to take classes in at least one language, which is great, and I'd like to do comparative research regarding Russia and Ukraine, so Ukrainian seems like it would be a great fit! I'm also very curious about Ukrainian as a language in itself.
3 x

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:19 pm

Note to self:

Anki is a great tool for reviewing and maintaining vocabulary. Not as much for learning vocabulary. Stop mindlessly throwing words into Anki without bothering to learn them first! Reviewing words you haven't even learned yet is inefficient!

:lol:
2 x

Return to “Language logs”