Dylan95's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Dylan95
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

Previously Studied and mostly forgotten
French
Italian
Latin

Dylan95's log

Postby Dylan95 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:51 pm

After lurking on this forum since 2016 and HTLAL since 2012, I've finally decided to start my own language log. :D

Languages I am currently studying:
Russian (B2+)

Languages I have previously studied:
French (3 years in a classroom setting)
Latin (6 years in a classroom setting)
Italian (1 intensive semester in a classroom setting)

Like most people here, I don't rely on any one particular method.
Most of my current Russian study involves extensive/intensive reading, anki srs flashcards, and scriptorium. I'm currently living in Russia as well, so 99% of my daily interactions are conducted in Russian. I've been at B2 for over a year now, slowly making my way towards C1. It's taking ages!
Last edited by Dylan95 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
9 x

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

French
Italian
Latin

Re: Dylan95's log

Postby Dylan95 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Finally all of my graduate applications are in! I still managed to spend at least half an hour a day on reviewing vocabulary the past month, and usually considerably more, but it wasn't as much I would have liked. I've had terrible difficulty falling asleep each night, so I've spent a lot of time writing in Russian as well before bed. It helps clear my head, which allows me to sleep.

I've also been reading Dostoyevsky's "Igrok" over the past two weeks. I started out reading a chapter a day, but with deadlines for graduate school coming in all at once, my progress slowed. I'll probably finish it in the next few days. It's a short book. ~ 200-250 pages, and the chapters are all relatively short, so that's nice as well. I've been using it to mine vocabulary, which is helpful for reading his other books, but a lot of the vocabulary is obviously outdated. I'll probably try and find an interesting novel from the 20th or 21st century for my next book. I think I'll probably pick up one by Valentin Rasputin in the next couple of days.

I began a "mistake log" on my laptop this week. It's been very helpful so far because it illuminates where I need to direct my energy. Every day I try to add a few mistakes that I made that day into the log. It includes mistaken genders, spelling errors, and other grammatical errors.
I'm definitely going to try and make this into a habit.
4 x

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:36 pm

I've spent most of the last days reading, reading, and reading. It's too cold here to do anything. -highs of -33 and lows of -40 degrees. To those of you wonder whether that is Fahrenheit or Celsius, -40 is where they both become the same! My eyelashes turned white after 15 minutes waiting for the bus. As a result, I've spent a lot of time indoors reading books. I don't know what this says about me and my attention span, but I'm currently reading several books at a time. I read about a chapter from each one every day. I'm currently reading "Igrok" for classical literature, and "Shantaram" for more contemporary reading. (it was written in 2003), and I've picked up the Gulag Archipelago from Solzhenitsyn, which I'm reading very slowly.

Every page of every book has words I've never encountered before. On any given page of the books I'm reading I usually recognize 95-98% of the vocab, which can sometimes be as many as 25 unknown words for page! It hasn't really taken away from my ability to appreciate the reading. It's still a bit demoralizing to see every page filled with the blue ink of my pen underlining every unknown word.

As the days go by I slowly realize, that while I may be 100% immersed in Russian, and that definitely has its pluses, only so many words can be learned in a day. All I can really ask of myself is to learn a bit every day. This is my first language that I've brought to an advanced level, and I definitely underestimated how much time this would require, especially after making progress so quickly in the first months I was here. I add about 20 words a day on anki, so by the end of the year I should have added some 7000 words (I definitely won't reach my goal every day, but I will on most).
7 x

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:43 pm

A note on vocabulary learning...

I recently made the switch from Quizlet to Anki. For the past year and a half I used Quizlet for all of my vocabulary learning. I had a paid subscription which provided me with access to the SRS function. Quizlet is a great resource, but I have to say, after about a month of using Anki solidly (I started using Anki around the beginning of the new year), I prefer Anki on account of one reason. While Quizlet has an SRS function, its daily goals are very vague. Some days I would review hundreds of cards, sometimes none. Something about Anki's organization scheme has made me much more on top of my daily drills. The one thing major con for me is that Anki doesn't automatically include audio files. I know it's possible to add them, but I'm not sure how efficient it is. If anyone knows, feel free to write me here!

The way I have been using SRS to learn vocab over the past year has been quite efficient, but there is one thing I regret. Usually I add vocab to my SRS card base as they come up. Books are pretty cheap in Russia, so I've been buying a bunch of them, underlining all of the words I don't know, and adding them in. I also add in words that I don't recognize, or poorly recognize as they come up in my daily life. This has been very effective.

The one problem with this method is that I feel like I've somewhat missed out on learning word families instead of lone verbs, adjectives, and nouns. Russian adjectives, verbs, and nouns usually come from common roots and if you know one, you can generally infer how to say the other, but it doesn't always work out perfectly. I feel like if I added entire word families into each card rather than separately over time, that would be potentially more efficient. This is probably the case for any language of course, and I'll definitely try it out once I start digging into Turkish more seriously.

Also..While I have been using SRS/flashcards heavily for the past year and a half, I've found that a change in my methodology that I made about a year ago has really improved my efficiency of learning. In the past when I studied SRS, I would simply translate each card aloud before flipping them (assuming I wasn't in the library or on the bus). Over the past year I've forced myself to not only write down the word as I say it, basically Professor Arguelles' scriptorium method, but I usually make example sentences using the vocab words every time I study my cards. This has allowed me not only to remember the meanings of words more efficiently, but also to use them more effectively. For example when the word "жадничать" comes up, I usually say something along the lines of "Максим всегда жадничает кальян, which means "Maksim always hogs the hookah." This is super easy for me to remember because I have a friend Maksim, who does exactly that.

In other news, I recently tried out a bunch of ТРКИ Russian language B2 and C1 practice tests, both in my own textbooks and online, and I've gotten more than 90% of the questions right on the grammar/lexical sections. (They are multiple choice questions, but very difficult). I don't need to take this exam by any means, and this is only one of many sections, but its nice to have something keep up my morale. I love studying Russian, but slow progress really gets to me!
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:25 pm

This sounds a lot like what the author of the LR method suggested :)
http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/ ... Techniques

BTW жадничать is an intransitive verb. You can say something like Максим всегда жадничает, когда мы [с ним] курим кальян.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Serpent wrote:This sounds a lot like what the author of the LR method suggested :)
http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/ ... Techniques

BTW жадничать is an intransitive verb. You can say something like Максим всегда жадничает, когда мы [с ним] курим кальян.

That's pretty funny. As someone who was kind of out of the loop from other language learners for a while, I feel like I've reinvented the wheel a bunch of times. Would have been a lot more efficient to just consult forums like this one rather than find the most efficient on my own over long periods of time via trial and error :lol:

Oh God..thank you for catching that mistake. I have fossilized so many errors by studying things incorrectly, only to have to go back and study them again. Definitely adding your correction to the deck :D
0 x

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:37 pm

One of my worst habits with language learning is trying to learn too much too fast. I think this is natural for most people, but I developed an especially bad habit of trying to cram too much in too little time when I first came to Russia. Knowing that I only had a few months here, I was determined to reach a very high level by the time I left. (I have since extended that time in Russia by quite a lot!) I have to constantly remind myself that "Rome wasn't built in a day" and Russian certainly wasn't mastered in a day, a month, or even a year! (Nor any language for that matter, at least to a near-native level). While I've largely gotten rid of these habits quite a bit over the past year or so, I'm guilty of having returned to my old habits at least slightly over the past couple weeks. I was feeling not so great about my progress. Plateauing can be very rough psychologically for those of us who obsess over quick progress! (most people)

As a result, I'm trying to concern myself less with rapid leaps in progress, which are unrealistic at an advanced level of any language, and trying to focus my energies more intensely on specific mistakes I make or certain concepts that I find particularly difficult. Simply being in Russia is not enough to correct these mistakes, especially since they appear most frequently when discussing heavier more academic topics that simply aren't a part of my daily life.

I've spent the past few weeks on the same book. It's 900+ pages, and the author repeats a lot of the same vocab. Learning 20 words everyday via anki, my reading at least for this particular book has definitely progressed. Over the past 30 days, I've only missed one day. That's nearly 600 words! Many of them haven't entered my active vocabulary, but its certainly made reading a lot more pleasant of an experience. Underlining 2-5% of the words on any given page can can be tedious.
6 x

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Nothing too much has changed since my last log. I've continued studying 20 new words a day with daily reviews of 150+ previously learned words. I've studied over 1000 words since the beginning of the new year in this way, and it has noticeably improved my reading comprehension. For about 2 years I was a paid subscriber to Quizlet, which gave me access to its SRS function. After having made the switch to Anki, I have to say that I definitely prefer Anki. By setting a certain amount of cards each day, Anki's settings have really made my daily vocab study into a habit.

While my listening comprehension is very good, I've realized that I really do have to concentrate to be able to watch the news in Russian. The elections are coming up, so I think now would be the perfect time to make a habit of of improving my listening comprehension, especially in regard to politics and economics. I watched a debate between Vladimir Zhironovsky and Pavel Grudinin the other day, and I have to say it was quite entertaining. :lol:
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:07 am

Как у вас с погодой? :D
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:03 am

Serpent wrote:Как у вас с погодой? :D

Сейчас у нас -17 градусов, но написано, что в 3 часов уже будет -9, так что не сильно холодно) В январе у нас даже было -40 один раз. Как у вас в Москве? Я слышал, что это очень холодно в Европе сейчас.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”