languist's lazy language lunacy - 2019

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
languist
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: Mostly, how to procrastinate + French, Spanish, Darija, Russian, Slovak, Circassian, Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7523

Re: languist's lazy language lunacy - 2019

Postby languist » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:59 pm

badger wrote:sorry you're having a tough time languist. have you considered getting some counseling/therapy if it's having this much of an impact on your life?

Hmm, I did actually start to go to therapy because of the things that happened, then something even worse happened, and kind of ironically - or just unfortunately, my therapist's office is right in the epicentre of it all, so I wasn't able to go anymore. Actually, the big problem is that what happened happened within the immediate vicinity of my home, and it's a small city, so I just... yeah. Nope. Can't leave the house. I don't feel any fear about going to Siberia, or Afghanistan, but to travel just a few metres from my front door is impossible. It's not fun at all tbh! Thanks for your concern and input. x

I should add - because I am very busy, and all of that busy-ness is online now, I don't really think about the fact that I can't leave the house very much. Until one of my friends invites me somewhere, and I realise that I can't go - or during some really frustrating moments like, I want to make coffee and realise there is no milk left. There is a shop about 67 seconds from the front door of my apartment block, but still I have to wait for my housemates to get home from work and ask them to pick some up on the way back. That's when it's certainly difficult to ignore.

I guess it's quite a serious thing but at the moment I'm just living with it with the same attitude as this emoji... ¯\_(。•́︿•̀。)_/¯
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:03 pm

If you’ve found therapy useful in the past, it’s definitely worth asking if your therapist would do telephone or Skype sessions for a while. Many will, especially given your reasons.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

languist
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: Mostly, how to procrastinate + French, Spanish, Darija, Russian, Slovak, Circassian, Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7523

Postby languist » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:31 pm

MamaPata wrote:If you’ve found therapy useful in the past, it’s definitely worth asking if your therapist would do telephone or Skype sessions for a while. Many will, especially given your reasons.

Thank you again for your advice and input. It's quite a complicated situation, so I won't get into it, given that this is a language and not a self-help forum, but I think it's just the kind of thing that I'm going to need some time to recover from before I can start trying to tackle the consequences of it. In the meantime I want to make the most of the lifestyle I'm currently leading, whatever limitations it may have.
1 x

Jinx
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (adv), varying levels of French, Esperanto, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Croatian, Catalan, Mandarin, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16835

Postby Jinx » Sun May 16, 2021 10:58 am

Hello languist, it appears that you're not so active here anymore, but I just found your log and read through it and loved it. I feel that I can relate to you, in so many ways – the wanderlust when it comes to languages, falling in love with languages through music, even the shitty experiences you went through that turned your life upside down. I went through something very similar (although not as extreme) in the past few years and it really threw me for a loop. I am still trying to get back on my feet, and your log speaks to my soul. In any case, I just wanted to say that I hope you're doing well (as well as possible, that is) and taking care of yourself.
1 x
Feel free to add me on Goodreads.
Pronouns: she/her.
Corrections welcome!

Return to “Language logs”