Expug's 2018 Log - Sustainable Dabbling

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: Expug's 2018 Log - Sustainable Dabbling

Postby Expugnator » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:18 pm

Nothing special about the weekend. I could do some Hebrew Clozemaste reps, but broke the streak yesterday. Very little, still. It would help to have TTS on Android or on the browsers, because as it is now I need to have the new iPad, a connection to the internet and my earphones in order to be able to do some rounds.

I have yet to decide what to do about Indonesian. I'm tempted to delete the deck and start it over, multiple choice, most common words, then keep moving as multiple choice, only to get back to the earlier stages as text input later, the way I do with Modern Greek (which is effective, but then I'm much further in Greek as in Indonesian). If I delete the deck,though, I'm going to lose my points for Indonesian altogether.

There it is, my resource for extensive listening in Norwegian. An audiobook by Ingvar Ambjørnsen. I plan to start it this evening when driving home from my Portuguese for foreigners class. The prospects aren't promising, but one has to start somewhere. I want to reach that kind of automaticity in Norwegian that will allow me to work around the actually unknown words. Then repeat with German.

Accomplished Language Textbook: Modern Russian Grammar (Workbook)

If I'm not mistaken, I was supposed to give a combined review to the grammar and the workbook. I've praised this grammar series more than once - it helped me with German and Mandarin, even if I acknowledge that I used it too early for both languages. It's better to be used when you're midway at the B2 stage and you already have enough repertoire, at least a B1- active, for the sentences to make sense in your head and for you to actually visualize yourself using them.

Anyway, for Russian everything is twice as much complicated. The grammar book is ok for the series, but it focuses too much on morphology even all the way at the B-side, which should be the more practical one. So, instead of focusing on usage, idiomacity, sociolonguistics as is the case in other languages at this series, you have to worry about endings all the way to the end. Experienced learners might know it's not as effective when you have to analize a sentence syntactically, semantically and morphologically. Morphology always screams to one's face, and so it is better to put it aside when you want to actually teach some semantics and syntax. This wasn't observed at this volume and so you end up not learning enough from any of the fields.

I'd still recommend the grammar book despite its flaws and its lack of completeness compared to the others in the series. The workbook, though, is simply horrible, at least at the kindle edition. There are serious issues of formatting when you deal with accented cyrillic, and this makes several exercies unreadable. Some parts of a given exercise simply disappear from the answer key. Moreover, there are just too few of them to allow for consistent training - I was surprised that I was already coming to the end of the book - and the pervasion of morphology through the end leaves little room for learning from all fields. For example, the final exercise is on using verbs of motion; but then you are presented with the indefinite/definite pair of a irregular verb and you have to choose the correct one in the correct tense. Ok at this level, but as you haven't been drilled the correct conjugation of those verbs at the morphology section, and it gets to the extreme of difficulty that the irregular present of the indefinite verb might look just like the definite pair, the exercise ends up being meaningless.

I don't recommend the workbook and I'm still at the stage I was before starting it. I need to reinforce some grammar theory and apply it on exercises. So now another attempt: Russian Grammar Workbook. A Self-Study Reference and Practice Book for Foreign Students.

Finished the last episode of the current round of seasons of the Arrowverse. Now I can start new seasons for all series.

Finally moved into reading Peter Nimble proper. I have the same issue here with Georgian, regarding trilogies and other series of books: they're not all published in my TL. In the case here, only the first volume is in Estonian. Then I'll have to find something else to read. I should have started something else, but before both my reading and my searching skills improve, I'm better off with a more accessible book, as this one seems to be. Already at first look, it seems a bit easier than last Agatha Christie's, and it even has the advantage of not being an abridged translation with some unexpectable gaps (I hope). I'm still using the procedure of pasting the text on pastebin and using the GT tool for translating individual words through mouse hovering. It's the only language I've ve done this so far.

Something called my attention while listening to The Lost Symbol: the narrator reads the names of the letters in the latin alphabet with their English names! How come the Greek only named the latin letters after the dominance of the English language? Or did they change the name of the latin letters to reflect the English names? I saw the same happen in Mandarin audiobooks. It makes more sense to have the Chinese think of the latin alphabet mostly in relation to its use in English, but not for the Greek. Maybe I'm overanalizing and they made that choice just because it was a novel by an English speaker, taking place in an English-speaking country?

I'm surprised that the word for 'nenek' means grandmother in either side of the family. I was expecting something more specific, Chinese-like.

I got busy towards the end of the day, so what had been a good headstart (I didn't have to pick up the girls at the kindergarten today) went down the drain. So I barely made it to the Routledge Hebrew course. No Spanish reading. I was going to start GLOSS Indonesian, better luck tomorrow. I think this is the second resource I'm going to use for the time being. If it works, it will be my first time using it, to Serpent's joy.
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:19 pm

Can you recommend a source for Norwegian audiobooks?
0 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani

Postby Expugnator » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:Can you recommend a source for Norwegian audiobooks?

My source is tanum.no , but I'm afraid you need a Norwegian address now in order to create a new account.
-----------------
Yesterday I was almost eligible for a hat-trick: three resources studied as bedtime reading. I had two, the third one could have been the Hebrew grammar, the Norwegian audiobook or the Spanish novel. So I did Hebrew Clozemaster, 4 rounds, with TTS - a powerful learning tool - and I started my first GLOSS lesson on Indonesian.

I remember why I hadn't started GLOSS before: the lessons are long, so they don't fit my 2nd-resource-of-a-day slot; they started on the 1 level which is roughly A2, which means they are hard. Still, they are comprehensive and helpful. I think it's ok to start them for Indonesian at this point, after all everything is translated and the vocabulary remains within a specific context, so I can still focus on learning the most frequent words. I'll wait before I can take broader conclusions.

Finished another Italian audiobook, Marcello Simoni's Il mercante di libri maledetti, only to find out now it's a trilogy! Anyway, I liked the first volume a lot. It brought my Italian listening into another level. It's a very fast-paced story (incidentally, it would make a good movie), so it was hard to keep up with it in the audiobook form, especially at the beginning. Even if I could understand everything crystal-clear, I had trouble figuring out what was going on, and I guess the same would happen if the book was in Portuguese. Then towards the end the number of characters decreased, I got to know more about them as to individualize each, and the action itself was narrowed to more scrict spaces.

The second book is available only on Audible, under subscription (their page even labels it as 'exclusive'). It's really a pity for the Italian audiobook market.

Now I'm trying some sort of chronicles, more like non-fiction. This one is read by a woman, so it's an useful contrast.

One busy days followed the other. Still plugging along, trying to complete my first Glossika Indonesian lesson. All's well with Routledge Hebrew. I only have trouble with fill-in-the-blank grammar exercises, like when I have to type the demonstrative before each word and it's just random vocabulary without vowel marks. When it's the usual vocabulary of the lessons I can figure out the pronunciation most of the time.
3 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:03 pm

Tanum.no does have nice fat audio samples without registering. Just spent five wonderful minutes listening to an amazing Norwegian voice actor. (Audio books are even better than radio for pure language enjoyment.)
0 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Glad it helped, Lawyer&Mom! I absolutely love the sound of Norwegian.

==================================
Yesterday I could finish my first GLOSS lesson, on Indonesian. Looking forward to more. I could also do 4 rounds of Clozemaster Hebrew. I see a habit emerging.

I'm really enjoying Russian Grammar Workbook. There's context, there are enough exercises, there are didactics.

I finished the non-fiction book I was reading at my 20-page-a-day slot. It turned out rather into a NLP work than on language learning. Now I've started reading The One Thing, by Gary Keller. Looks good so far. Reading in Portuguese.

Some improvement in Estonian. The new novel has longer periods and more vocabulary, but grammar is better now and so I can understand much more. The translation is more faithful, which helps.

Dropped GLOSS for the time being. Too advanced for me. I recommend to start using it at the B1 level, as a warm-up for native materials, as I tend to do with Linguaphone and monolingual textbooks. So, Clozemaster it is. I'll be doing it on Chrome with TTS and I might be lucky enough not to master all sentences, so I can do the text input fase later, when my passive skills are B1ish and my active skills need pushing up. Or I can manually reset any sentence I see at 75% instead of answering it.

Finally got back to reading in Spanish again. I'm leaving it for after the additional Hebrew and Indonesian studies. It's a busy time of the day so I spend much more on Routledge Hebrew than necessary, as I have to browse through the web and the book, and when I have to pause all the time I spend time getting back on track again. I should be reducing, not adding more tasks to my current schedule, but I want Hebrew and Indonesian to move further, beyond the dabbling stage. I'll end up start dabbling in new languages. Actually, I might add five new languages next year, so I hope I am more skilled at reading and understanding my old ones so that the newer ones get more prominent time.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:43 pm

The new book I'm reading - The One Thing - has a much more straightfoward style and so it takes me about 20 minutes, as half as much as the previous one, to read the 20 pages.

I'm comfortable with my new Italian audiobook already. The audio is lower so I only have trouble when I'm listening on the car, without speakers. Moreover, I can put Italian audiobooks on lifelong plans, as I just figured out I can buy individual audiobooks instead of being forced into subscription. Since there is no audible Brazil yet, I think I'm sort of free to choose from a wider pool of titles. From an economical point of view, I'll have to watch out if I'm not buying more audiobooks per year than the 14,95 x 12 (or 11) of the audible subscription. I might be doing so already actually, if we combine French and Italian. I'll be soon finishing the second volume of the Muchachas trilogy, and I remember paying more than 14,95 euros on the first volume last month.

The female leading character from Nihal della terra del vento has a lot in common with Hirka from the Odinsbarn trilogy. A lot really, to the extent that I start to think that it's a genre of stories and of personal internal/external journey that only makes sense to be taught at such a depth of details and conflicts with a girl as the main character.

Ida's kitchen in Nesten Voksen is the same format/studio as Pedersens' kitchen in Side om side! Funny how I recognized the comedian Nils Vogt from Mot i brøstet just from his voice.

I got busy during the day and so, as yesterday I had inadvertedly left less than a page to read in Estonian, I decided to stick to only that today. Yet I'm really happy with my progress in reading the language, I'm finding the novel quite interesting as well and the translation is not bad either.

Even though I might not be retaining enough vocabulary, I'm starting to have a good command of the Hebrew sentence. Assimil is helping, but so is TTS-enhanced Clozemaster, especially with ultra-high-frequency adverbs, which might not have been repeated enough with Assimil. My point is, having them trained alongside with Assimil leaves more room for me to comprehend the Assimil lessons at the textual level. if you think that, when you are not cramming vocabulary or overlearning, you go through a text at different layers of vocabulary, studying highly frequent words on Clozemaster takes the weight off your shoulders of learning these words.

Another busy day. Some pages from Spanish and Clozemaster Indonesian left behind, but overall it was positive. I'm getting the hang of the Routledge Hebrew lessons. I totally missed out the vocabulary videos with translations! Some exercises also start to have translations. Moreover, trying to read without vowel marks has been positive overall.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:22 pm

Yesterday I did my TTS-guided reps on Hebrew and Indonesian Clozemaster. Always helpful. I only forgot to read the remaining pages on the Spanish novel.

I finished the first book of the Muchachas trilogy and I'm very tempted to sign up for Audible now. I have volume 2 from this one and volume 2 from the Italian trilogy to read, and I'm really starting to introduce audiobooks in my routine.

I also started Ambjørnsen's audiobook which I plan to only listen to. I could understand quite a lot at the first file, and I'm really excited about it. I do need full attention, but I think I am at a point where I can benefit from this exercise as some words I know but can't decode will become transparent, leaving only the really unknown words which I can learn better and better from context from then on.

Chapter 27 at Jo Nesbø's Snømannen was blocked at the network as having exceeded the limit of vulgar words in either Japanese or Chinese. I thought it was some inconsistency, but it turns out this chapter is totally left unrecorded at the audiobook! So I read it in Portuguese and we continue tomorrow.

I got busy (not as usual, because Fridays are usually lighter) and so I had to catch up. I read in German without listening, tried to read more quickly in order to train fluencyas well, and I'm happy to notice slight but invaluable progress in speed and in overall comprehension. I'm taking German at baby steps, sometimes even slower than Russian, but I still have reasons to remain hopeful.

I think I might be doing it right with Hebrew. Using Assimil, Routledge and Clozemaster has been productive. I'm starting to get the hang of the syntax - not finding it utterly difficult. Hebrew seems easier than I had expected, like Modern Greek was - one more reason I vouch for learning the modern languages first. To think I still have one whole Assimil to go through - the old one - and I'm already making a good use of the current one! (Unlike with Russian, where even three editions weren't enough to leave me less confused about the language).

No time for Routledge Hebrew today, though. I'll try to squeeze in some Clozemaster Hebrew and Indonesian later this evening, though (because that's when I have the new iPad anyway).
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Wed May 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Yesterday was Labor Day and so I skipped normal work on Monday as well. No language study other than some Clozemaster for Hebrew, Norwegian and Mandarin. I'm impressed as to how effective it is for Hebrew and I don't feel like going back to Mond.ly, Memrise or even Duolingo at all. Clozemaster on TTS beats them anytime, especially in terms of study effectiveness. You spend most of your time browsing windows in those fancy apps, while Clozemaster has straightforward navigation.

I had watched all but the first eísode of Nesten Voksen. I watched the last one thinking it was the first, as it's the one that comes up first when you open the page. Whatever. Tomorrow I finish the series and then I have sometjing lined up.

I'm probably making a good use of Assimil, because today's review lesson was the easiest to follow after the first review lesson. There's no transcript but the audio seemed transparent and I could infer a lot of meaning just from it.

Still plugging along the Routledge course, despite some difficulties. There were way too many exercises on lesson 8, to the extent that the cover 80% of the lesson. I'm clueless about pronunciation sometimes. I don't even try to understand what is being asked, I just use the answer keys as reading practice. Against all odds - or maybe because of them - I'm forcing myself to read in hebrew without vowels. I'm really happy with the result so far. I hope I'm not subvocalizing wrong pronunciations, because at least for the meaning I'm having appropriate, comprehensible input.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Thu May 03, 2018 8:58 pm

Clozemaster is boycotting my streaks. The sever is overloaded and simply won't work or will time out halfway by the time I've finally settled down for doing my Hebrew reps with TTS on the iPad, at around 9 pm Brazilian time (UTC -3:00). I could do no more than 8 sentences yesterday and gave up.

I've decided to keep listening to Ingvar Ambjørnsen's audiobook despite not understanding enough to follow the story comfortably. I can notice different processes happening: I'm getting better at parsing sentences; I can detect words I don't understand, isolate them to the point that I could transcribe them phonetically if necessary; I'm getting better and processing meaning and so I'm on the right track for reaching that audiobook listening fluency. It's a bit dis couraging that there are so many unknown words left even when I'm simply reading, but not enough to make me drop this experience, as I believe it has been effective so far and tends only to get better.

Finished watching Nesten Voksen. Not a bad series, but it needs more seasons and episodes for the characters to develop and get consistent. Now I'm going to start Unge Lovende. A friend wants to watch along and I need to catch up with sesong 2 first. That might take a couple of weeks.

I'm about to finish Lemon Snicket's third in the series, and last one published in Georgian. That's yet another issue with learning not so common languages. I want to keep it at young adult fiction, light readings, phantasy themes, but these authors tend to write series, and from other authors I checked only the first one got translated into Georgian. So I either have to make do with reading only one in the series or I have to keep reading in a stronger language. I'm probably going to L-R the rest of Snicket's books in Russian, but I was so happy with the series-effect I was having in Georgian. Anyway, I've bought two new series openers and I'm looking forward to starting one of them next week.

I'm having the issue of subtitles keeping being delayed with some series. It seems it's a problem of the FPS at the video not matching the subtiles. Yet I don't seem to find the exact FPS ratio so I can solve the problem.

Today I could take my time and read in Estonian a bit more diligently, almost intensively. I believe it's getting easier with time.

I'm happy with the synergy that is taking place with Hebrew, but it's not repeating itself with Indonesian. I wonder why. Indonesian is supposed to be easier, written in the latin script almost phonemically. Maybe it's just a matter of fewer hours put on it.
3 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Fri May 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Yesterday I understood even more from the Norwegian audiobook. If it weren't a stream of conciousness, but rather a third-person linear novel with different characters and dialogues, I might be understanding even more by now.

As for the Clozemaster, I'll have to find a way to study Hebrew in the morning. It was overloaded for over an hour in the evening. Maybe it's because that's the end of the day at UTC and so everyone and my great-grandma are logging in to keep their streaks.

Started Unge Lovende. Good practice. It feels nice to start anew. Each episode takes around 29 min, but I'll be doing 10 min a day instead of 15-14, because I'm already doing enough listening in Norwegian with two audiobooks and I better save time for other languages. Watching the series isn't that hard anyway.

The book The One Thing keeps giving food for thought, especially how I could be happier about my studies. I'm juggling not only 15 languages, but every other aspect of my life, and I'm afraid the one aspect that gets the least attention, if not in dedication but at least in time, is family, my girls. I have been sleeping well ever since they started sleeping all night long, I get some 7 hours of sleep - though some days I miss the 8 round hours, but I don't get to spend quality time with them during the week, as they sleep early, at 8 pm.
Some people struggle to develop habits and I have trouble with developping too many of them. That's how I went from 15 items in my schedule to 25, at the same 9 hours a day. I should have left 'idle' time for non-structural activities, output, writing projects, but I keep adding new stuff like the 2nd Hebrew textbook and I don't manage to remove anything from the previous languages. I already do as little as 20 minutes for the stronger ones - which is barely enough for maintenance at an eternal B1 stage, and no sound progress, mainly because I don't practice my active skills that would also have been responsible for consolidating the A0-B1 vocabulary and allowing me to move one level further. Yes, I know, my lack of learning efficiency is not a diagnosis but an implementation issue.

That book is about focusing on the one thing that will bring the most results (yeah, he gives Paretto and the other guy their credits). Thinking in terms of languages, I'm definitely not focusing on one language. That'd be tedious for 9 hours. I have three languages that bring most results, but more would do that as well if I reached higher levels at them. I could, for example, pick up 1/3 of the languages and work thorougher on them, by doing more activities, a full set of learning tracks. I still can't do this. The most I could do would be to drop 3-5 languages I don't envisage making great improvements at in the middle run; these would be German, Mandarin, Estonian and Italian, give or take. I'm at a level high enough in each of them that I can recover later. One first measure would be to move the Mandarin listening-reading to the afternoon, as it's more complicated from a practical point of view - I have to open the audio on my phone, then the text at the website, the translation at a pdf and keep using Pera-pera. I could be doing shorter tasks instead and get more done in the mornings, which are much, much shorter. Well, we'll see. That or dropping languages stuff altogether.

Another Routledge Hebrew lesson that went (almost) smoothly. The authors really found the right pae for introducing grammar and vocabulary.

And here I am, having studied my already overly long schedule. Well, it's time for some reflections.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”