Sillygoose1's Language Extraordinaire

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Re: Sillygoose1's Language Extraordinaire

Postby sillygoose1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:43 am

moo wrote:When you posted on my thread i couldn't figure out which famous actor that is that you have as your avatar. Xavier Dolan maybe... I get him and someone else mixed up... i didn't kno you could put up pictures of people that were not you. i really gotta read the rules again.

Yeah that's him

He's my boo thang
0 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:01 am

French:

Films - Le Couperet, half of Tip Top (Despite Francois Damiens and Isabelle Huppert, it was god awful)

Series - Finished season 2 of Chefs and season 4 of Workingirls, episode 1 of Section Zero, episode 4 of Tu m'aimes tu (the thick accents humbled me real quick)

German:

Films - Abschussfahrt, Der Nanny (both w/ German subs)

Literature - Undine by Foque, started Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann

Spanish:

Series - Two episodes of season 2 of Club de Cuervos. Went on a Netflix searching spree and found so many movies and series that I may be busy for awhile. Spanish is here to welcome me back with open arms

Russian:

Almost finished my Oxford grammar. Verbs of motion are proving to be a prickly peach what with uni and multidirectional, prefixes, different aspects. Might have to just let them happen on their own because I do not like drilling.

L/R'ed another four chapters of Anna Karenina. Not even 1/5th of the way through the first book.

The mountain is looking quite high up from the bottom here.

Latin:

Read a section in Ritchies fables. Also found alot of cool stuff on Project Gutenberg. Looking forward to reading Robinson Cruesoe and Julius Caesar by Shakespeare in Latin soon

Swedish:

Doing a chapter or two of L/R after some more Anna Karenina and an episode of Section Zero
0 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:11 pm

French:

Watched "Dealer". If anyone wants a French challenge to put your skills to the test, this is it. Heavy slang, thick urban accents, loud music over speech, extremely slurred speech. I don't think there is a movie or series as authentic as that one short of living in France.

It's on Netflix if anyone is interested.

I'm really happy, too. I understood everything give or take a few slurred words. And, the times I bothered rewinding to catch what they said I found that I was able to pick it up the second time. Hopefully native listening skills aren't too far off.

Spanish:

Finished Club de Cuervos season 2. It was challenging at times with the Mexican vocab and accents that I'm not quite accustomed to, but I was happy with it.

Russian:

One more chapter left in Oxford grammar + going to do some AK L/R later on.
0 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:52 pm

Phew, it's been awhile eh?

French:

Recently read Histoire de la Rome antique by Lucien Jephagnon (I don't think I spelled it right). It was really good and kept me interested despite the long 25-30 page chapters. At times it didn't even read like a history book which was great.

I finished watching quite a few shows like Section Zero and a few others that escape me. Season 8/9 of Fais pas ci fais pas ca came out recently as well as season 3 of Kaboul Kitchen so those are on my to do list. I'm also going to read some Gilles Deleuze and Georges Bataille. I'm getting bored of fiction lately.

Spanish:

Almost finished season 2 of Alli Abajo. That Andalusian accent is still so insurmountable for me at times that it sounds like a different dialect altogether.

Anyway, I have some really good shows ahead of me. Vis a vis season 2, Se quien eres with Marco from El internado, Pulsaciones, and there's a new show coming out on Netflix, Spain's first original, Las chicas del cable with quite a few people from El internado such as Blanca Suarez, Yon Gonzalez, and Martino Rivas. And some other up and coming Spanish actors too. It should be really enjoyable.

More good news. I found out that the fourth and final installment of Carlos Ruiz Zafon's El cimiterio de los libros olvidados came out so I'm going to get up in there ASAP.

German:

Reading some Heidegger. Not his hard works, just introductions. Einfuerhung der Metaphysik and Grundbegriff der Metaphysik. I tried reading Thomas Mann's Buddenbrooks but then I remembered that I hate realism novels.

Almost finished season 3 of Der Lehrer. It started clearing up for me a lot and now I'm able to follow the storyline. I watched Nicht mein tag which is a fun comedy.

Italian:

Going to finish up Boris to get some listening practice. Also watched the first episode of Rocco Schiavone and tried getting into I bastardi di Pizzofalcone but I got bored of it despite the good actors.

Russian:

Trying to read short stories and Goosebumps in Russian but damn is it hard. I really have to push through though because that's the only way it'll really progress. I figured that after some short Sherlock Holmes stories, some Goosebumps, and some Ray Bradbury that should prepare me for other stuff.

Latin:

Going to start over Ritchie's Fabulae and maybe start A junior Latin reader.

Really tempted to start Dutch and Danish + deepen my Portuguese. I could see the first two but maybe not Portuguese yet.
Last edited by sillygoose1 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:36 am

sillygoose1 wrote:Phew, it's been awhile eh?
Welcome back! :-)
sillygoose1 wrote:French:

Recently read Histoire de la Rome antique by Lucien Jephagnon (I don't think I spelled it right). It was really good and kept me interested despite the long 25-30 page chapters. At times it didn't even read like a history book which was great.
I've had Caesar's La Guerre des Gaules on my kindle for months and barely glanced at it. I may need to introduce some kind of queuing system, rather than just grabbing the Next New Thing, whenever I come to end of the Old New Thing.
0 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:35 am

DaveBee wrote:
sillygoose1 wrote:Phew, it's been awhile eh?
Welcome back! :-)
sillygoose1 wrote:French:

I've had Caesar's La Guerre des Gaules on my kindle for months and barely glanced at it. I may need to introduce some kind of queuing system, rather than just grabbing the Next New Thing, whenever I come to end of the Old New Thing.

Thanks! I've been lurking around but haven't contributed much lately.

Haha going from my experience, the best queuing system is to cut down altogether. I go from 50 books on my calibre reader to 250, down to 120, and it steadies itself out at 100 eventually. Eventually I stare at all the choices thinking about what to start reading, can't decide, then just forget about it. Like how I read more about people who have studied or are studying Russian than actually studying it myself!
1 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:00 am

French:

Series -
Les Revenants Season 2 Episode 1

Books -
Keigo Higashino - La maison ou je suis mort autrefois (I started reading this during my commute a year ago but my ipad broke so I'm restarting it)

Spanish:

Series -
Alli abajo season 2 - finished

Italian:

Series -
Boris season 2 - finished. Won't bother with the movie or third season

Books -
Prologue of La Dinastia

German:

Series -
Polizeiruf 110 season 45 episode 1

Books -
Restarting Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. I started book 1 in Spanish maybe two years ago and forgot about it so like Keigo Higashino, I'm picking up where I left off.

Strafe - Chapter 1

Russian:

Books -
Chapters 1-8 of Then there were none by Agatha Christie in parallel text
1 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:04 pm

French:

Episode 2 Season 2 Les Revenants
Chapter 2 Le siecle d'or de l'empire romain
Watched Dikenek

Spanish:

Torrente 2

Italian:

Episode 1 Come fai sbagli (Italian version of fais pas ci fais pas ca)
Chapter 1 L'italia dei secoli bui

German:

Watched Familie Braun season 1
Almost done Marie Antoinette biography by Stefan Zweig

Russian:

Chapter 6 of Then there were none by Agatha Christie in parallel
0 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:03 pm

French:

Movies -

Dikkenek; characters with really strong Belgian accents were virtually incomprehensible to me at times ie Francois Damien's character. It was really hard to understand the jokes and culture around the film because of the accents, vocab, and expressions specific to the Walloon area. First time I was ever exposed to such heavy Belgian accents. The French actors were fine for me to understand, however.

Books -

Halfway done Le siecle d'or. I really like Leon Homo's writing style so I went out and searched for more of his works. Found his doctorate thesis on Aurelien.

Series -

Episode of Les Revenants

Italian:

Series -

Episode 4 of Come fai sbagli

German:

Books -

Two chapters of Der Schwarze Tod in Europa

series -

Episode 1 of Munich Mord

Russian:

Books -

Chapter 7 of Then there were none
0 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:15 pm

French:

Finished Le siecle d'or de l'empire romain

Spanish:

Episode 7 of Mar de plastico, Chapter 1 of La caida del impero romano by Adrian Goldsworthy

Italian:

Chapter 3 La seconda guerra mondiale by Anthony Beevor. Episode 3 of Non dirlo al mio capo, Episode 5 of Come fai sbagli

German:

Chapter 13 of Der schwarze tod in europa, episode 3 of Mord mit aussicht

Russian:

Chapter 11 of Then there were none, Part 2 chapter 1 of Anna Karenina L/R, episode 1 of Freud's Method

Polish:

Lesson 36 Assimil
0 x

Return to “Language logs”