The troglodyte's path: Mista's log 2018

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: The troglodyte's path: Mista's log 2018

Postby Mista » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Weekly update

The effect of the 6WC is magic - I have no idea how I find the energy to do all the stuff I'm doing these days.

The end of the semester is approaching, and consequently also exams. This summer, I got a new cell phone, marketing the app "Todoist", which I decided to try out. My curriculum this semester is a jungle of short articles, so I have registered them all in the app, with the date they are supposed to be read. Since I had a cold for all off September, I've basically been far behind schedule throughout the semester, but one of the nice things about this app is that it gives me a number on how far behind I am, and it sends me an email every day with new assignments for today, and how many "overdues" I have. Although the numbers can be a bit depressing, they immediately start dropping once I do something, and it's easy to see that I'm moving in the right direction for every little thing I do. Last Sunday I had 52 overdue, this Sunday I had 43, and in four weeks, the number will hopefully be down to 10 (I still have items there for a class I dropped, so it doesn't have to be 0).

French

Mista wrote:- Finish Assimil Using French (postponed)
- Finish Le bureau des légendes with subtitles (season 1) done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes without subtitles (season 2) done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes without subtitles (season 3) done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes without subtitles (season 4)
- Finish Castle (season 1)
- Finish Demain j'aurais vingt ans done
- Finish Le roi de fer done
- Finish Harry Potter et le prisonnier d'Azkaban done
- Finish Mon nom est rouge
- Finish L'histoire de Pi
- Finish audiobook Le temps est assasin done
- Finish audiobook L'Étranger done
- Finish audiobook Soumission
- Write daily
- Duo daily
- Conversation course (B1) weekly

Duolingo: crown level 197 (I've also been working with Stories and the associated Tinycards decks)

Writing: 996 words

Reading L'histoire de Pi and listening to Soumission

While I unregistered for the exam in my university French class, I didn't really drop the class. I'm still attnding classes and reading the curriculum, to the extent that I feel I have time for it. In that connection, I've also been doing a lot of vocabulary work (Gold list).

Russian

Mista wrote:- Finish Azbuka 1
- Finish the first chapter of The Master and Margarita

I've kept on reading The Master and Margarita, and I'm now done with the first chapter, first reading. I'm using Kindle and the Vocabulary Builder function, and I've racked up over 600 words from that chapter. The next step now, which I started on yesterday, is to go through all the vocabulary with a good dictionary on the side, and enter all the words into my Gold List book. The Kindle dictionary is less than perfect, but the good thing is that the flash cards give the textual context, not just the word, so by working this way, I don't lose the flow of the reading, but can check systematically with a proper dictionary later.

Sami

Mista wrote:- Finish Davvin 1 done
- Finish up to chapter 16 in Davvin 2
- Finish l/r-ing Ilmmiid gaskkas

This week I finished entering the sentences from the first book into anki, and I've also done at least one repetition of all of them, so I'm ready to call it done. Still doing regular work on everything I had planned. And I'm slowly climbing up on the 6WC target language list.

Other

Icelandic: still working through the Clozemaster course.

English: reading Emma by Jane Austen. Well, at least I read a chapter. Since the 6WC is on, I'm usually more tempted to read something I can count for that...

Arabic: not doing any work and not really planning to any time soon. But the other day I finally found the arabic kindle dictionary that I saw announced on the forum earlier this year. My mother, who has studied Arabic, asked me about this when I got the Kindle and showed her the dictionary and flashcard functions, and since I want her to be able to try it out next time I see her (at Christmas), I have downloaded the dictionary and a sample of the first Harry Potter book. My own Arabic skills are NOWHERE near this level, but having the Arabic Harry Potter on my Kindle is still pulling at me, of course. I've spent some time drooling over it, I admit, but I haven't logged that time for the 6WC, I promise! :lol:
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: The troglodyte's path: Mista's log 2018

Postby Mista » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:30 am

Weekly update

French

Mista wrote:- Finish Assimil Using French (postponed)
- Finish Le bureau des légendes with subtitles (season 1) done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes without subtitles (season 2) done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes without subtitles (season 3) done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes without subtitles (season 4)
- Finish Castle (season 1)
- Finish Demain j'aurais vingt ans done
- Finish Le roi de fer done
- Finish Harry Potter et le prisonnier d'Azkaban done
- Finish Mon nom est rouge
- Finish L'histoire de Pi
- Finish audiobook Le temps est assasin done
- Finish audiobook L'Étranger done
- Finish audiobook Soumission
- Write daily
- Duo daily
- Conversation course (B1) weekly

Duolingo: crown level 197 (no change - working on a particularly large skill, and also completely forgot to do anything on Saturday)

Writing: 996 words (no change - need to get back to this)

Reading L'histoire de Pi still - I'm about halfway now. The tiger has come to life and it's actually very exciting. Still, I only read about 10 pages a day.

Listening to Soumission in the car at weekends. It seems I understand almost everything sentence by sentence, but still I have a very vague understanding of what the story is all about. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention, I don't know. It's still valuable listening practice, but I am considering if I should listen to it again at home and more intensively afterwards. Just to see if there's any difference.

Russian

Mista wrote:- Finish Azbuka 1
- Finish the first chapter of The Master and Margarita

Working in the vocabulary from The Master and Margarita, The kindle is now down to 547 words. I've also read through the chapter again, aloud, with no look-ups. I'm going to try to work through the chapter one way or the other once a week until I'm through with the vocabulary. This upcoming week, I'll listen to the audiobook.

Sami

Mista wrote:- Finish Davvin 1 done
- Finish up to chapter 16 in Davvin 2
- Finish l/r-ing Ilmmiid gaskkas

Started working on chapter 15 in Davvin 2. Doing a chapter a week in the other course book, Máhtát go sámegiela?. Stil doing anki and vocabulary regularly. In Ilmmiid gaskkas, I finished chapter 40 of 56.

Other

Icelandic: still working through the Clozemaster course, now at 790 played/285 mastered. Also downloaded a sample from the Icelandic version of the book Dora Bruder by Patrick Modiano. I found that book on the curriculum for French literature at the university next semester, and went to check it out at amazon.fr. But when I used the "look inside" function, it gave me the icelandic version. Destiny, right? :lol:

English: still reading Emma by Jane Austen, at least occasionally. Finished a quarter of the book.

Japanese: I think it was Cavesa who mentioned the Lingodeer app in the Duolingo thread. I decided to check it out, and it turns out I like it... I particulary like the kanji lessons, partly no doubt because I haven't worked much on kanji yet. The language lessons are really a bit to basic for me, but I'm doing them anyway, for repetition and because there is some kanji recognition in there too.

Latin: I pre-tested the December book club book this evening. It's Apuleius, so I will have to read it in Latin, according to my self-imposed rule that I will read a book in the original if I can. I also have the Norwegian translation for support, but I'm considering if I should also do some intensive study of the first few pages in the book. I also picked up again the clozemaster course.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”