The troglodyte's path: Mista's log 2018

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: The troglodyte's path: Mista's log 2018

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:37 pm

Also in Swedish ("fem i halv tio" = 9.25 or 21.25)
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:48 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Also in Swedish ("fem i halv tio" = 9.25 or 21.25)

But Swedish is a Norwegian dialect ;)

As one of my linguistics professors once said: "when I say that something is special for Norwegian, you should normally understand that as Norwegian, Swedish and Danish." The reason he said that was, of course, because sometimes Norwegian is different even from Swedish and Danish, and that was one of those occations.
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.

Postby Mista » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:16 am

Exams are done. Four days left of the 6WC. Time to make a plan.

I'd like to get back to Russian for these las four days of the challenge. I've had a break from the language for over a week, after my final Russian exam. Here's what I want to do:

- switch Duolingo and Mondly from French to Russian
- try to finish the exercises in the coursebook that I haven't done yet
- go through the rest of my notebooks for this semester and regster all new vocabuary in my Gold List
- start working on the new audio course I found at the library (in the car)
- start working on my big SC project, The Master and Margarita
2 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Ok, so the 6WC is over, and I have 10 weeks of summer vacation in front of me. It's time to make some plans. Well, not quite 10 weeks of vacation, because I do have the earlier mentioned course in Uppsala, in Swedish language, linguistics and literature, starting in 6 weeks from now and laasting 3 weeks. And then I'll have to try to work a bit to make some extra money. I normally work weekends, and I usually try to put in some extra hours at my regular working place during vacations. That means around 4 hours every night Monday-Friday in addition to my normal weekend working hours. One consequence is fewer studying hours, but I should still be able to put in some time every day. Another consequence is that I'll spend around one hour in the car to and from work every day, which I can and should make use of to do some audio courses or listen to audio books. I'm waiting for a confirmation that I can start tonight.

French

For the last half of this semester, I was meeting up with another student to practice speaking. We were both taking the French history course, and we met twice a week to talk about a specific chapter from the book, which we both had prepared in advance. I think we both found this extremely helpful, and that it contributed significantly to our performance at the exams. I also noticed that this regular practice made it easier for me to talk in class, and that it started off my inner dialog, so that I now find myself thinking in French more often.

As far as I know, I won't get any chance to speak much French during the summer, but I really want to keep that ball rolling. That means it's time to put in some writing practice. I've been too busy to fit that in during the semester, but now I should be able to find the time to start writing. I'll keep on working with the history books and write summaries of some important topics. That way, I'll get a repetition both of the subject and the vocabulary. I'll also work on the vocabulary separately. I have notebooks full of vocabulary from that course...

Next semester, I'm planning to take a related course, or a continuation, I guess we could say. Once I get hold of the books, I hope to get started on those as well. One of them is on French political history after 1815, the other is on political institutions (or maybe a bit broader, I think it includes the school system, for example).

I don't want to kill my pronunciation over the summer, so I have to practice speaking/reading aloud. I also want to activate my passive grammar knowledge, so I thought the Assimil advanced course, Using French, would be good for that. I started a few days ago - there are 70 lessons, so if I do one every day, I'll be done just in time for the start of the next semester. I dont have the audio, and I don't think I really need it. What I do is read through the text (aloud) while checking the notes, do the exercises, and then record myself reading the text and listen through it. One of the things that were commented as feedback after my exam, was that I need to work on voicing my sibilants. This is no doubt something they tell people a lot, as it's very important in French, but notoriously difficult for Norwegians to do (It's an easy way to recognize Norwegians speaking English, as well). This is something that I can do if I put in the effort, but it slips easily.

I also have the Grammaire progressive and the Vocabulaire progressif lying around. Those books are great, so maybe I can finally find the time to get through them?

And then there's the SC. I've already finished a book by Michel Bussi and the first season of Le bureau des légendes, and I started on Houellebecq's La carte et le territoire (which I've read before in translation), watching the first season of Le bureau again with subtitles, and the audiobook of Lemaitres Alex. It would be nice if I could finish all those by the end of the summer.

Russian

This year I've done the university's introductory courses to Russian, focusing on grammar and vocabulary. We've been through all the morphology, including every possible way to conjucate a verb in the present tense (there are a lot!), and some important aspects of usage, like verbs of movement, aspect of verbs, usage of cases, etc. Now I want to focus on reading literature for a while, but I also want to work through the parts of the course books I didn't manage to complete already, as there are some things that I don't feel I know well enough yet (and yes, those things are precisely the things from the chaplers I didn't complete - those books are really thorough!). I've started with book 1 from last semester, partly because I have it (book 2 was borrowed from the library, and after keeping it for the whole semester, I suddenly had to ddeliver it on the day of the exam...), partly because it's just as well to start at the beginning, and finally, because it was really expensive and this summer is the best tme to sell it, as new courses are starting in August.

Apart from that, I'll be focusing on SC stuff. I'm starting with Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, doing a multimedia approach. I have the filmatisation, a fairly recent one, made in 6 part of an hour each. I started out watching it a while back with the boyfriend, but he backed out of it after the first part, due to the poor texting - however, it's mainly poor in the sense that it's too literal, reflecting teh grammar of the Russian original etc., so if you use them as a support for listening to the Russian, they will do the job. Well, those are the subtitles on my dvd - maybe there are better ones out there. Anyway, I also have the book on kindle, which I started reading a few days ago, and once I've read the first chapter, I plan to go through the vocabulary (with the support of a physical dictionary, because the kindle dictionary has its limitations, though the most noticable problem so far is in word recognition, especially with participles - a problem I've also noticed with French). I also have the physical book (my parents, who recently were in Saint Petersburg, gave me a beautiful illustrated etition - so now I have to go back to the university book store and try to exchange the one I already bought for something else, like the French books I mentioned earlier), and the audio book (which I found at the public library), so the next steps will be to do a repetition with audio support, then a reading aloud, and maybe finally a listening without textual support. So far I can say that the reading with kindle using the built-in dictionary gives me an understanding of the text that is approximately comparable to my reading of French crime novels without dictionary support - in other words, it's enough to allow me to read the text with some pleasure, and a general understanding of the plot.

Swedish

I have a reading list to get through before the course in July/August, and then I have another reading list to get through while attending the course. The pre-reading consists of a book on social linguistics, a short novel by Selma Lagerlöf, a novel by Jonas Hassen Khemiri, and a history of literature. But before I start on any of that, I want to finish a book I recently picked up "by accident" in a bookstore, while unwinding after one of my exams. It's Jan Guillou's Brobyggarna - I think this is the same book that was recently discussed in Ogrim's log. I've read around 200 of the 600 pages so far. While reading, I've been doing some observations on what it's like to read Swedish. Of course, Swedish is very closely related to Norwegian, and so it's not surprising that, even though there are a number of words that are unknown to me (most of them I understand from context or because it's partly recognizable, while there are a few I just have to pass on), I read Swedish with better understanding that for example French. But still, it seems to me that I read French with better fluency than Swedish. I think this must be related to the fact that experienced readers recognize words rather than spelling through the word letter for letter. And of course, since every language is different and the spelling therefore is different too, reading fluency has to be established for each language. Even for Swedish as opposed to Norwegian, and the transfer in this particular field is particularly low, as the spelling rules for Swedish are completely different than those of Norwegian. Danish is much simpler is this respect, since the Norwegian written language was common with the Danish 200 years ago, and therefore, the differences in the modern written languages are mainly those caused by differences on teh spoken languages. In Swedish, however, there are weird things like writing tack where we in Norwegian write takk. This is purely a difference in spelling conventions, and it doesn't cause any problems of understanding, but it does affect reading fluency. Well the only way out of this is, of course, to read a lot!

Sami

We had a break of about a month due to my exams, but we are planning to start up again next week. We're almost done with the first course book, so we'll have to manage to finish that by the end of the summer. I should put in an extra effort with the vocabulary. Also, I shuld finish reading the Frech book about the Sami language that I borrowed at the university library, as I bowwed it in early fall, I think, and a year is maximum borrowing time...

Other

I want to do something "other", but preferably just one language, as I have plenty of other studying plans for the summer already. The one I go for now will probably also be the one I do for the next 6WC (or I may also go for Sami, I suppose). The most tempting candidates right now are Arabic, Turkish and Japanese (in no particular order). Of course, there's no rush with this, so I might as well see if one of them tempts me enough to actually get to work.

Summary of goals for the summer
- Finish Assimil Using French
- Finish Grammaire progressive
- Finish Vocabulaire progressif
- Finish Alex audiobook
- Finish Le bureau des légendes with subtitles (season 1)
- Finish La carte et le territoire
- Write 10 texts on French history
- Finish Azbuka 1
- Finish Azbuka 2
- Finish the 3 first chapters of The Master and Margarita
- Finish Brobyggarna
- Finish Litteraturens historia i Sverige
- Read Herr Arnes penningar
- Read Ett öga rött
- Read Sociolingvistik
- Finish Davvin 1
4 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Weekly update

French

Mista wrote:- Finish Assimil Using French
- Finish Alex audiobook
- Write 10 texts on French history

Assimil: have been doing one lesson a day. I'm happy with the book so far. Finished chapter 10.

Grammaire: Did at least one page 4 days this week. Finished chapter 12.

Vocabulaire: Did at least one page 4 days this week. Currently at chapter 16.

Alex: done!

Haven't started working on the others yet.

I've also registered at a language exchange site, asking for a French exchange partner.

Russian

Mista wrote:- Finish Azbuka 1
- Finish Azbuka 2

Azbuka 1: Worked on it 4 days this week. Approaching the end of chapter 27.

Master and Margarita: read about half of the first chapter

Apart from that, I've been doing Russian on Mondly and Duolingo every day. On Duolingo, I've switched from tablet to laptop after the change to the Crowns system, which in the case of Russian means that I'm getting a lot of valuable typing practice - which is good, because then I get to reach level five in the "Alphabet" lesson without wasting my time completely...

Swedish

Mista wrote:- Finish Brobyggarna
- Read Ett öga rött
- Read Sociolingvistik
[/i]

Still reading Brobyggarna, now at page 337

Sami

Mista wrote:- Finish Davvin 1

Nothing this week, but I've made an appointment with my friend to start working again on Wednesday. I was planning to find the assignments we've already done and send them in, but I haven't. I need to go through all my papers from the last year of schoolwork, but I've had that project for about half a year now and nothing has come of it so far...
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:57 pm

Weekly update

I've had problems with sleeping this week. The plan, now that I'm working nights, is to come home, get something to eat, go to bed and fall asleep no later that 9 o'clock. That way, I can get up at 5 and do stuff in the afternoon. But then i had a long night at work last Sunday, came home around 11 and went to bed around 12. So the rest of the week, I have been going to bed around 8-9 and fallen asleep around 12... I then sleep for eight hours, so that means less time for studying, and it also means less time for social activities, since I'm sleeping at the time most people like to have their social time. I hope I can fix that this week, but I'm a notorious B person, so going to sleep earlier than the day before is not something I normally consider to be possible... I think my inner clock runs on a 28 hour schedule, so going to bed at the same time every day is difficult enough. Naturally, it doesn't help that the sun rises at around 4 and is already high in the sky at bedtime.

French

- Finish Alex audiobook done
- Write 10 texts on French history write 2000 words

Assimil: took a break one day, so I've done 6 chapters this week. Finished chapter 16

Grammaire: Did at least one page 4 days this week. Currently at ch. 14.

Vocabulaire: Did at least one page 4 days this week. Currently at chapter 18.

I heard back from the language exchange site three days later. This week, I've been exchanging emails with my new exchange partner, trying to fix a time for a first meeting next week. I'm really excited about this! Anyway, I've changed my writing goals to be a bit more flexible. That way, I can use my writing to prepare for talking, by choosing more everyday and personal topics. So far, I have 74 words (emails only).

Russian

- Finish Azbuka 2

Azbuka 1: Worked on it 4 days this week. Finished chapter 27.

Still doing Mondly and Duolingo. There is a noticeable improvement in my typing, both in accuracy and speed, but it's still slow.

Swedish

Mista wrote:- Finish Brobyggarna
- Read Ett öga rött
- Read Sociolingvistik
[/i]

Still reading Brobyggarna, now at page 568. The total page count is around 600, so I'll probably finish tomorrow, and start on something else. And hopefully I'll avoid the temptation to buy book 2 in the series, because I really need to read that other stuff...

Sami

I met my friend, and we didn't really do any Sami, but we decided how to proceed. We'll meet again next Monday (a week from now), and in the meanwhile, we'll both do some repetion on our own, up to chapter 10 in the book. When we meet, we'll go through another repetition of chapter 11, which is the one about telling time (which can never be practiced enough...) and do assignment number 4, which is supposed to be done after completing chapter 10. I have now completed repetition up to chapter 5 and found those old assignments. 2 of 3 are now ready to be sent in.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Not-so-weekly update

Well, the last month has been a lot of working, trying to sleep in the heat, and trying to cook and eat something. With a physically demanding job seven days a week, I've lost around a kilo per week the last five weeks, but I'm still a few kilos away from being worried about that :lol:. Languagewise, the one thing I've been very consistent at is listening, because I have that audiobook running in the car, so I automatically get around 45 minutes every day.

French

- Finish La carte et le territoire Demain j'aurais vingt ans

Well, as I said above, I've been listening to audiobooks in the car - not much else. After Alex I continued with Travail soigné (also by Pierre Lemaitre), and then I listened to that one more time, because I didn't have anything else ready. Meanwhile, I've been to the library and found an audiobook by Bussi, but not one I've read before. I also got a book for reading, Demain j'aurais vingt ans by Alain Mabanckou. I think he also writes crime novels, but this is a novel about a young boy growing up in Congo in the seventies. I'm further into this book than Houllebecq now, so I've changed my reading goal to reflect what I'm actually reading.

I did meet up with my language exchange partner. Everything seemed fine, and we made a new appointment, but then he didn't show up. The following day he sent me an e-mail explaining that he had mixed up the days, but that he will be busy for a while. Doesn't sound too promising, maybe. But I'll give it another go when I'm back from Sweden, and if it doesn't work, I'll try to get another one.

On Thursday I got an exciting email from Duolingo: somebody has started up a French event here in Oslo! The first meeting was later the same day, so VERY short notice, but I did go. When I got there, however, I couldn't find anyone. Maybe because my subway was cancelled and I came 15 minutes late, or maybe because I didn't look hard enough - I didn't particularly feel like attracting the attention of everyone in there, so I didn't go around and try to speak French to everyone there. It was in a coffee shop, and it was quite large and quite full. However, if this works out, it will still be there when I get back from Sweden. It's meant to be weekly, and I already got an invitation for next week (which I can't attend, because I won't be here).

According to the bot, I've now read "14 books" and "watched 30 films", which means I'm well ahead of schedule.

Russian

- Finish Azbuka 2

Duo and Mondly only. Spent some lingots on streak freezes too, but I'm back into the daily routine now. Typing is improving.

Swedish

Mista wrote:- Finish Brobyggarna done
- Read Herr Arnes penningar done
- Read Ett öga rött
- Read Sociolingvistik
- Read Masja

Finished Brobyggarna (and I did buy the next book in the series :oops: ) and Herr Arnes penningar (which is less than 100 pages). Started reading Masja, a sort of biographical novel about one of Tolstoy's daughters. I borrowed the book from a relative in Uppsala, so it would be nice if I could give it back while I'm there. I've read around 100/500 pages, and will probably take a leap forward tomorrow, when I'm traveling.

Sami

We have finally met up, and completed assignment four. And now I'm leaving, so it will be another month before we meet again, but hopeefuly I'll manage to keep on working with this. I want to go through and goldist all the vocabulary, and make an anki deck with all the sentences. The lack of progress feels demotivating, but is simply caused by lack of work... consequently, I think I'll do Sami for the next 6WC, to make sure I start seeing some progress again.

German

Nothing big going on here, but I'm joining the book club next month to read Isabel Allende, and I'm going to read the book in German. Looks like the next books coming up are likely to be French ones, which I would then prefer to read in the original, but Spanish is not on my plate right now, so it's a good opportunity to get some German reading done. I have no plans for German outside of the Super Challenge.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:38 am

Biweekly update

Two weeks into my stay in Uppsala - it took me over a week to get the internet working in my flat, that's why I dropped the update last week.

French

My pace has slowed down with French, but I have been working with Assimil, where I've now finished 30 lessons.

Since my source of Le bureau des légendes is the Norwegian Broadcasting Company, I can't access it while in Sweden. Since I was aware of this before I left, I brought a long a DVD with the first season of Castle. I've watched 5 episodes while here, with no subtitles. In the first episode, I hardly understood anything, but it's getting better.

Russian

- Finish Azbuka 2

Duo and Mondly only.

I have a relative here in Uppsala who studied Russian, and who has been traveling a lot to Russia throughout her ive. She suggested to me that we take a trip to Moscow together, which I would really like. The problem is just to find the time. She wants to avoid summer and winter, which is probably a very good idea, but I'm going to have compulsory classes now, starting next week and going continuously into December. Hopefully there will be a break in the spring semester. Well, at least there will be Easter.

Swedish

- Read Ett öga rött done
- Read Sociolingvistik
- Read Masja done

Well, this is what I'm mainly supposed to be doing these weeks, so no wonder I've made the most progress here. I've read massive amounts of Swedish these weeks, both the books listed above and other stuff. The course is great - fun, and I'm learning a lot.

According to the SC bot, I've now read 36 books in Swedish. I've also bought 10 books and borrowed 4 from my relative, so I definitely have what I need to complete the challenge now :roll: Let's hope I can squeeze them into the suitcase...

I'm planning to get back to our reading materials, with some more detail, in my SC log later

Sami

The 6WC is on, and I've been putting in an hour or more a day since the 1st. I sure notice the difference!

I've been doing three things:
- goldlisting all the vocabulary in the book (finished the first round yesterday)
- translating all the texts in the book and entering all the sentences into anki (halfway through the book now)
- watching children's TV on NRK (and tried to log it for the SC only to discover that the language doesn't exist :( )

German

Started reading the book for the book club, one chapter a day (finished 2). Also did some Duolingo, which for now takes only 1 minute per lesson - there's a lot of ein Mann und eine Frau, but still I do mistakes, so I might as well keep going. It's been a while since I studied German actively - or used it for anything, really, except that I spent a few days reading this spring.
3 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Weekly update

Came back from Uppsala on Friday, with two very heavy suitcases... the new semester at the university officially started today, but the first week is usually just for info meetings. I have one of those tomorrow, and a class on Thursday. Then classes start properly next week. That means summer is over and I should revise my plans by next week.

French

Assimil: finished lesson 35, which means I'm exactly halfway through the book

That's pretty much it from the list, but I've also started on a new audiobook, this time a book by Bussi that I've never read. Somehow, I seem to understand most of the words, but I still can't follow the story. I'll probably listen to this one at least twice.

Russian

- Finish Azbuka 2

Duo and Mondly only.

As for the plans for going to Moscow, my mother is now aslo in, but it's difficult to find a time.

Swedish

- Read Ett öga rött done
- Read Sociolingvistik
- Read Masja done

I've read what I'm supposed to, apart from a few chapters in the history of literature, and gave a presentation the last day of the course about some aspects of Swedish that I had observed while reading the course literature. This week I'm supposed to write a paper, and then I guess it's time to leave Swedish for now and concentrate on French, and hopefully a bit of Russian too. Whcih leaves the question of what I'm supposed to do with the 20 or so Swedish books I brought home and which won't fit into my book shelves :roll:

Sami

Still going fairly strong with Sami, but I've dropped a bit on the list due to traveling and weekend work

Last week I wrote:

I've been doing three things:
- goldlisting all the vocabulary in the book (finished the first round yesterday)
- translating all the texts in the book and entering all the sentences into anki (halfway through the book now)
- watching children's TV on NRK (and tried to log it for the SC only to discover that the language doesn't exist :( )

I've kept going with the first two, not so much with the third, but I'll get back to it. The SC bot now also speaks Sami :D , so there's no excuse any more. I've also started working directly with a grammar book, as I've learnt just enough cases now to feel the need to study the full patterns separately.

German

Still doing Duo, and still reading the book (Allende), read a bit over half now. And I've realized I don't have a German-Norwegian dictionary, just a Norwegian-German and a German monolingual[/quote]
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:27 am

My boyfriend alerted me to a program he had seen on NRK and which was being shown again this morning. The program itself was a nature and cooking program, the kind where you harvest from nature and cook something out of it. The special thing about this particular program, however, was that it was in Faroese, which you don't get a lot of chances to listen to. The language is, just like Icelandic, a close relative of Norwegian, in theory even closer than Swedish and Danish, so when you are listening to it, and get support from Norwegian texting, you recognize a lot of words and it seems quite easy - it's probably more difficult without the texting, though. :lol:

The course I attended in Uppsala this summer is part of a program offering courses in the language and literature of the host countries to students of neighboring countries. They also had one in Iceland this summer, which I was tempted by, but the dates collided with my exams. Maybe next year? However, they also have one, at irregular intervals, at the Faroe islands, which would also be very interesting. In Uppsala this summer, I met a few students who attended the Icelandic course last year and spoke very highly of it, and also a couple of students from Iceland, and everyone seems to agree that if you are Norwegian and comfortable with Nynorsk, then learning Icelandic will be very easy. Combined with the Icelandic activity going on in this forum, this is really tempting me to try out Icelandic right now - and I really don't have the time for that...
1 x

Return to “Language logs”