The troglodyte's path: Mista's log 2018

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: The troglodyte's path: Mista's log 2018

Postby Expugnator » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi Mista!

I'm interested to know the name of the Sami children's show on NRK. What else do you plan to use for your Sami SC?
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 am

Expugnator wrote:Hi Mista!

I'm interested to know the name of the Sami children's show on NRK. What else do you plan to use for your Sami SC?

The show's name was "ieŽár". It's basically a series of short programs where children are presented doing one of their hobbies. In one of them, a boy was taming a reindeer, and in another, a girl was making a cake. The duration differs from 5 to 15 minutes, so the short ones can't be used for the SC according to the YouTube rule.

Nrk.no has a seperate subcategory for sami, so what I did was to browse around there and see what I could find. That's pretty much the plan I have for my Sami SC right now. I'd also like to watch some movies eventually, but I don't have any concrete plans yet. I should also add that I'm not taking it all that seriously, since my level is so low that I'll never have a chance at completing the reading part anyway.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.

Postby Mista » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:10 pm

New plan of action

The new semester has stated, and my most important project now is to learn how to teach. In other words, I'll have to downscale my language learning plans a little. However, I'm also doing a course in French, and I have French as one of my two teaching subjects, so I can't downscale that too much ...

I also want to introduce a Book of the Week and a Movie of the Week. The movie to ensure that I watch some occasionally, and the book to remind myself that I should read a little now and then, and also to remind myself what I'm reading at the moment - no need to start reading four different books, is basically the idea. I'm not necessarily planning to read a book a week, so if I don't finish, I'll just keep on reading it the next week.

This week:
Book: Demain j'aurais vingt ans
Movie: La noire de ...

French

Mista wrote:- Finish Assimil Using French
- Finish Grammaire progressive
- Finish Vocabulaire progressif
- Finish Alex audiobook done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes with subtitles (season 1)
- Finish La carte et le territoire Demain j'aurais vingt ans
- Write 10 texts on French history write 2000 words

I've finished lesson 39 is Assimil now. I'm planning to stick with it until I'm through. The two other books will have to wait until I'm finished. I've also returned to French on Duolingo and Mondly. And I NEED TO START WRITING ...

New list:
- Finish Assimil Using French
- Finish Demain j'aurais vingt ans
- Write up class notes weekly
- Duo and Mondly daily

I'll add new stuff as I finish the stuff on the list.

I've also registered for a course at the Institut Français.

Russian

Mista wrote:- Finish Azbuka 1
- Finish Azbuka 2
- Finish the 3 first chapters of The Master and Margarita

I'll have to cut down on the goals I set for summer, I'm afraid.

New list:
- Finish Azbuka 1
- Finish the first chapter of The Master and Margarita

I'll aim at working on both at least once a week

Swedish

Mista wrote:- Finish Brobyggarna done
- Finish Litteraturens historia i Sverige
- Read Herr Arnes penningar done
- Read Ett öga rött done
- Read Sociolingvistik
- Read Masja done

Essentially, this is entirely out. Still, I hope to find the time to read at least one book.

Sami

Mista wrote:- Finish Davvin 1

Haven't finished it yet, but hopefully I will soon and can exchange it for book 2.

German

Finished the book, and just like Swedish,, this is essentially out for now.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:49 pm

Can I ask the name of the cookery show in Faroese? In all honesty, it's interesting to me without even being in Faroese- that's just a bonus!
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Elenia wrote:Can I ask the name of the cookery show in Faroese? In all honesty, it's interesting to me without even being in Faroese- that's just a bonus!

The Norwegian title is Naturens spiskammer. According to nrk.no, it's a Danish production, and it's a series with 6 programs. Here's the link, if you want to check if you can watch it on NRK:

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/naturens-spiskammer

But you should do it now, as it will only be available for three more weeks. I hope that works, because if I have to give you the Faroese title, I'll have to install a Faroese keyboard :lol:
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:52 am

Stor tack! But I can't watch it, unfortunately. I found where it is available on NRK, on DRTV and even the page on SVT but the first two were unavailable for me and the last one isn't being shown anymore :( oh, well.

EDIT: I found it on a Faroese channel's website! There are no subtitles AT ALL, so I won't understand anything, but it could still be interesting watching for me, but there it is! It was initially broadcast in 2012-2013, so I'm sure it will be available for a while yet, in case you ever want to return to it. Here's the link :)
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:06 pm

Weekly update

This week:
Book: Demain j'aurais vingt ans
Movie: La noire de ...

I'll just continue both from last week. I've been reading in the book, but I'm only halfway still. And the movie is currently in an unknown location.... I wanted to watch it over dinner tonight, but in the end I had to find something else. So I watched a new episode of The Master and Margarita, and could finally log something Russian for the SC.

French

- Finish Demain j'aurais vingt ans
- Duo and Mondly daily

Assimil: finished leson 45
Duolingo: crown level 174
Watched episode 4 and 5 of Le bureau des légendes
Read around 100 pages of Demain j'aurais vingt ans

I've been taking notes both in class and while and after reading, but the biggest challenge when it comes to the output challenge is counting the words - easy enough when writing on a computer, but a nightmare when writing by hand. I'm a bit behind on the word count...

I've aslo been at the first sesson of my Franch Conversation course, and it was pretty much what I had expected and hoped. We were 7 students, class lasts for 90 minutes, and we pretty much spent all the time talking, either in smaller groups or all together. I'm very satisfied! And I came off to a good start, as I also spoke French to the receptionist to get information about which classroom to go to (this is typically the kind of situation where I chicken out).

Russian

I spent half an hour today reading about a page in The Master and Margarita, and, as mentioned already, I also watched an episode from the TV series.

Sami

We have started on the last chapter. I've listened to half of the audio for the chapter, and done two of the exercises. Apart from that, I've been doing anki almost daily, where I have the sentences from the book with translation, 10 new per day. I've also done a bit of grammar work, right now that means that I'm going through the vocabulary in the book, and writing down the full patterns for all verbs (present tense) and nouns. I have a small notebook for this purpose, and the idea is to keep it as a handy reference of what I'm supposed to know, until I have learned it all properly.

Other

Yesterday I decided to check out Clozemaster, one of those resources I continuously see mentioned on here. No need to go into details, then, so the short story is: I'm now doing Latin and Icelandic on Clozemaster. :lol: As a result, I have now logged 8 languages on the 6WC bot...

And speaking of a lot of languages, one of my classes at the university this semester is Foreign Language Didactics, which is partly for all languages and partly divided into each separate language. So, the languages represented are those that are taught in Norwegian high schools: German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Chinese and Japanese (the three first are the most common ones). And this week, we had, among other things, a practical introduction to how we gan get the students to use the language for "real communication". So we were asked to gather statistics of how many pets people in the class have, and to get the information by talking in our target language. Of course, in a high school class, that means everyone will be speaking the same language. In our class, it meant people were speaking seven languages. At least! For my own part, I discovered that I could communicate well in French and German, and that I mostly understood the others but found it difficult to answer. I even forgot how to say no in Russian!! Somehow, I was suddenly convinced that there is no word for "no" in Russian, but I suppose I must have been thinking of Sami. Also, nobody tried to speak with me in Chinese or Japanese, which is probably just as well. Maybe I could have handled Japanese, but Chinese is out of the question, I have no experience with it whatsoever. However, someone did ask me if I could speak Dutch. Again, I can't, but at least I understood the question!

And in wrapping this up, I have suddenly spotted the missing DVD, together with the notebook I couldn't find when I was doing the Sami exercises from the book earlier tonight. They were both right in front of the TV, and I know I looked through all that stuff when I was searching for the DVD earlier. I have way too much stuff here :roll:
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:13 pm

Weekly update

Book and movie of the week
Mista wrote:Book: Demain j'aurais vingt ans done
Movie: La noire de ... done

This week:
Book: Le roi de fer
Movie: Le mandat

The book is this month's book club book. I started last night, and have read the first two chapters. The movie is from the same box of early African movies as the one I watched last week.

French

- Finish Demain j'aurais vingt ans done
- Finish Le roi de fer
- Duo and Mondly daily

Assimil: finished lesson 47
Duolingo: crown level 177
Finished Demain j'aurais vingt ans and started on a new book, as mentioned already.

Russian

Nothing :(

Sami

We're still working on the last chapter, but I think we'll be done in a few weeks. I'm also putting some work into repetition, going through the book again and putting sentences into anki. I'm currently working on chapter 10.

Other

Still doing Icelandic and Latin on Clozemaster.
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:53 am

Weekly update

I got one of those never-ending colds, and afterwards, I got busy catching up on coursework. Well, I'm still quite busy catching up on coursework, but I'm also ready to start thinking about systematic language work again. Meanwhile, I had a period where I had a good deal of progress with the SC, simply because I was too tired to do anything else. :D

French

Mista wrote:- Finish Assimil Using French (postponed)
- Finish Le bureau des légendes with subtitles (season 1) done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes without subtitles (season 2) done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes without subtitles (season 3) done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes without subtitles (season 4)
- Finish Castle (season 1)
- Finish Le roi de fer done
- Finish Harry Potter et le prisonnier d'Azkaban done
- Finish Mon nom est rouge
- Finish L'histoire de Pi
- Finish audiobook Le temps est assasin done
- Finish audiobook L'Étranger done
- Finish audiobook Soumission
- Write daily
- Duo daily
- Conversation course (B1) weekly

Duolingo: crown level 195

I'm extremely motivated for reading and listening at the moment, because my progress is so tangible. However, I do need to focus on speaking and writing.

Speaking is going fine, as I have a regular course to attend. I also regularly some of the course participants to practice speaking once a week.

Writing: somehow I never manage to get going with this. My two newest ideas are: 1. Busuu. I paid for a year and wrote a couple of texts there before I caved in to the cold. I should get started again now. 2. In connection with the NaNoWriMo-thread being posted, I started thinking I could do something like writing my autobiography - that would take the stress away from thinking about what to write. I won't do it as a November project, though, it would be more of a long term thing. 3. It would probably be a good idea to try to write something in connection with the topics we discuss int he conversation class. Three potential plans then, and the aim to write SOMETHING every day.

Russian

Nothing :( But we have started planning a trip to Moscow next October, and I started reading the travel book Sovjetistan (in Norwegian).

Sami

We're sort of finished, but I haven't sent in the papers yet - I should do that this week. We also started on the second book, but then my friend got sick and progress stopped up for a little while.

I'm doing Sami for the 6WC, and some of the things I'm doing in that connection are:
- r/l-ing a YA book - found the book, the audiobook, and the Norwegian translation at the library
- doing sentences from the coursebook in anki - I'm currently working on entering the sentences from chapter 11 in the first book
- Goldlisting vocabulary from the coursebooks, where I'm up to date

Other

Icelandic: still working through the Clozemaster course. Got a course book with audio, where I have reached the second chapter. And I got a crime novel, in Icelandic and in Norwegian translation, where I've read the first chapter. I first got only the translation, but when I saw how short the chapters were, just a few pages each, I decided to give parallel reading a go.

English: reading Emma by Jane Austen
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Weekly update

French

Mista wrote:- Finish Assimil Using French (postponed)
- Finish Le bureau des légendes with subtitles (season 1) done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes without subtitles (season 2) done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes without subtitles (season 3) done
- Finish Le bureau des légendes without subtitles (season 4)
- Finish Castle (season 1)
- Finish Le roi de fer done
- Finish Harry Potter et le prisonnier d'Azkaban done
- Finish Mon nom est rouge
- Finish L'histoire de Pi
- Finish audiobook Le temps est assasin done
- Finish audiobook L'Étranger done
- Finish audiobook Soumission
- Write daily
- Duo daily
- Conversation course (B1) weekly

Duolingo: crown level 196

Reading and listening/watching have slowed down, but on the other hand, I have managed to get started on a daily writing routine. I try to write at least 100 words a day, and so far, I have 514 words. Writing in Word means many of the mistakes I make get spotted by the software.

In speaking, I think I have improved on genders and congruence, but a sentence that tied up my tongue completely this week was "Je ne l'ai jamais connu", where the presence of a negative construction, a compound verb, and a pronominal object all in one sentence was just too much at once. I know the rules in theory, so I can produce a sentence like that in writing without much effort, but I do need to stop up and think, and when speaking, I need even more time to think, because half my brain is panicking. Gotta work on that (both the panicking and the construction).

Russian

Read a page of The Master and Margarita last night.

Sami

We're sort of finished, but I haven't sent in the papers yet - I should do that this week. We also started on the second book, but then my friend got sick and progress stopped up for a little while.

I'm doing Sami for the 6WC, and some of the things I'm doing in that connection are:
- r/l-ing a YA book - found the book, the audiobook, and the Norwegian translation at the library
- doing sentences from the coursebook in anki - I'm currently working on entering the sentences from chapter 11 in the first book
- Goldlisting vocabulary from the coursebooks, where I'm up to date

I sent the exam papers today - so formally I'm done with the first course! I still want to finish entering the sentences into Anki, though, so I won't declare victory just yet. In the Anki project, I'm almost done with chapter 11 (of 12). The l/r is moving steadily forwards - I do 2 chapters a day. Apart from that, I found a new course book, which is for beginners, but looks like it has better exercises than the one we are using. It should therefore be good for repetition, and it looks like it has some additional vocbulary. It's called "Máhtát go Sámegiela?" and has Norwegian as base language.

We are also starting up with our work on "Davvin 2" again tomorrow.

Other

Icelandic: still working through the Clozemaster course. Nothing else this week (which is just fine).

English: reading Emma by Jane Austen[/quote]
1 x

Return to “Language logs”