rfnsoares' log PT, EN, FR, ES, IT, RO, RU, PL, GR, DE and much more

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rfnsoares
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Portuguese
B2/C1: English, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian
A2/B1: Romanian, German
A2: Polish, Greek, Hungarian
Dabbling: Croatian, Czech, Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Finnish, Turkish, Hebrew...

rfnsoares' log PT, EN, FR, ES, IT, RO, RU, PL, GR, DE and much more

Postby rfnsoares » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi everyone!
This is my first log on the forum. I’ve been postponing it for a long time. My goals are to improve my writing English skills and have my language-related adventures documented. I recently took part in the 6WC and I was amazed by the amount of the hours spent learning a language. I had subscribed for Greek by the way. Therefore I’d like to track my progress using this log.
Well, I’ve been learning languages since I was 8-9 years old. I don’t remember exactly. Back then I started learning Spanish. This was in the pre-internet era, in the mid 80’s. For those who lived or have lived in Brazil at the time might know a very popular audio course – Curso de Idiomas Globo. They provided language courses for Spanish, Italian, German, French and also English. The English course was completely different from the other ones. There were 72 lessons split in six sessions each. I was very fond of the course format (and I still am). Years later I used it to learn French, Italian and German, but I didn’t finish it the German one.
As I said I’ve been studying languages since my childhood. So far I have studied seriously English, French, Spanish, Italian, Romanian, Greek, German, Russian and now in 2018 I’m learning Polish. Polish will be my main language in 2018. Of course I’ve dabbled in many others. :oops:
I consider that I've achieved a B2 level in English, French, Italian and Spanish; B1 Russian and Romanian; A1-A2 Greek, German and now Polish. These scales are fairly approximate, only considering my listening and reading skills. I practically don’t speak and write.
That’s all for now. I don’t want to write so much in this first entry. I’ll be regularly updating my log. :)
11 x
100 Russian novels : 33 / 100

rfnsoares
Orange Belt
Dabbling: Croatian, Czech, Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Finnish, Turkish, Hebrew...

Re: rfnsoares' log PT, EN, FR, ES, IT, RO, RU, PL, GR, DE and much more

Postby rfnsoares » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:39 pm

I will be learning Polish this year. Actually, I have started, in December.
After more than two years, I invested most of the time I had available to learn languages to Russian. I improved and learnt a lot, but now I know I could have done better. I did many courses (and also wasted time with them at some degree): Colloquial Russian, Assimil (the first 60 lessons), Planeta Agostine (a long one and probably the best one) and many others. I spent almost one year and a half on them. Of course, they helped with grammar, basic constructions and phonetics but not with my goals which were reading and understanting native materials. When I finally realized that I could not do anything outside the textbooks one year and a half had passed. So everything I needed to start off was an online dictionary and newspapers articles. And then in a couple of months I could see results, serious improvement, a robust one.
Sorry about the rant. I mused a lot on how I could put this in words. It's really difficult to express yourself in another language. Well, this is the aim of this log ;)
I do not know whether I was afraid or just lazyness to take another step. But maybe I will learn from my mistakes from now on.

Concerning Polish, this time, I will spend much less time in textbooks. I am planning to stay with them until april: Assimil + Colloquial + Flamric Polish.

Assimil: I'm almost finishing the passive phase. Tomorrow I will study the lesson 49. Since December I am doing two lessons a day. One after breakfast and another one after dinner. When it comes to the review lesson, I only do it. My impressions from the first 49 lessons are mixed. It did not cover some grammar aspects, like dative case for nouns and adjectives, passive voice and the participle formation and its usage. Also the vocabulary was very limited. I noticed food-related vocabulary in many lessons and also much attention to how to tell the hours. On the other hand, the lessons are fun. Each lesson ends with some kind of joke or irony. :D ... but I really do not know if I should continue with it. I have to decide by Saturday.

Colloquial: I am using it as grammar guide. I will be reviewing this textbook many many times.

Flamric (DLI courses): it seems interesting. Each lesson is a short narrative. At a first sight it seems good. Tomorrow I will take a close look and assess it better. :)
2 x

zatris
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (native), English (?), Latin (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 81&p=92296

Postby zatris » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:11 am

Russian and Polish are both in my wishlist; I'll follow your log with interest. Boa sorte aí!
1 x
Corrections are welcome.

I have the patience of an ox. (Gustave Doré)

rfnsoares
Orange Belt

Postby rfnsoares » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:14 pm

I have been thinking of my reading plans for 2018. Last year I read many books, mostly in English and French, and, if I am not mistaken, two in Italian (the first two ones of the Harry Potter series). I never tracked the books I read along the year, but this time I am planning do this using my log. Probably I will be reading books in English, French and Portuguese, no plans for Spanish or Italian languages this year. Of course I can easily change plans. ;)
Yesterday I finished my first book of the year, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. This is her 6th book and the 4th one of the Poirot's books, if I am correct. I used to read Agatha Christie in Portuguese as a teenager. Now I am reading all of them in English and French.
I really do not know what will come next. I want to read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King (I have read the first one). Stephen king is one of my favorite contemporary authors. So six more to go... Besides, for so long I have been postponing to read Memórias da Casa dos Mortos, F. Dostoyevski. Actually this is the only one I am planning to take in Portuguese in 2018.
Probably this year I will read less books comparing to the last year, because I would like to dedicate more time to develop my English writing skills.
3 x

rfnsoares
Orange Belt

Postby rfnsoares » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Now I know how hard is practice my writing skills. But on the other hand I know that everything in life becames easier with practice. Actually I am not exactly a writer, but a reader. I like reading. I am a statistician by profession. Producing numbers are my thing not words... :mrgreen:

I have started reading the second book of the year: Memórias da Casa dos Mortos, F. Dostoyevski. Probably this will be the only book in Portuguese that I will read this year. I would like to read at least 7-8 in English and 5-6 in French. No plans for my another languages.

Polish is doing great. I am improving fast, faster than I imagined. I started the Flamric Polish Course. The course consists in narratives. The first lesson was not difficult. The vocab list was huge, but many of words I already knew, so I focused on the unknow ones. Besides my perception of the written language has improved a lot lately. As I always do every week, I opened a Polish newspaper and read an article to access my perception of grammar structure and vocabulary. Of course, many words were still unknown, but I could fairly understand sentence structure. Quite happy :D

That's all for today. It took me 30 minutes to write this short post... :shock:
3 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:36 pm

rfnsoares wrote:That's all for today. It took me 30 minutes to write this short post... :shock:

That's pretty fast by my standards :) . It could take me about an hour or so to write something that length ;) .
1 x

rfnsoares
Orange Belt

Postby rfnsoares » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:54 pm

aaleks wrote:That's pretty fast by my standards :) . It could take me about an hour or so to write something that length ;) .

Hi. It also would take about an hour to me, but I intentionally used simple grammar and vocabulary. You can save time doing that. ;)
2 x

rfnsoares
Orange Belt

Postby rfnsoares » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:00 pm

It is time for a little update. :)

Polish: I continue studying Polish and am progressing steadily. I have finished Colloquial course, but I will be reviewing it many times yet. It is an excellent textbook. It covers practically all aspects of grammar and, although the vocabulary seems a little bit daunting at first, the choice of words is very usefull for having conversations. I noticed or it seems that I learn much more effectively through narratives than dialogues. The words seem to stick much more. I believe that's why I improved so much and faster my Russian when I droped the texbooks and started with newspapers. Anyway I continue with Flamric course and I am also using the Real Polish Podcasts, other blogs and Wikipedia. Texts and a good online dictionary are my only companions for the time being... :D

Russian: Unfortunately I reduced my time spent with the Russian language, but after more than two years of hard-working (and tears), it was necessary to take a brake. Experience have taught me that this kid of brake is beneficial for consolidating the previous learning. But I am taking advantage of this time to listen and be familiar with Russian music. I have been looking on youtube and I found a video with the most famous Russian songs (according to the author of the video of course). One of them drew my attention because it is the kind of music I appreciate: Кипелов, Я свободен. Searching for more information about it I read a wikipedia article and found out more about the musician and previous his work. In the article I discovered more about Aрия, really good rock band.

By the way, here is the list of songs I previously mentioned (I enjoyed most of them):

Ласковый Май - Белые розы
Григорий Лепс - Рюмка водки на столе
Серёга - Черный Бумер
Сплин - Мое сердце
Тату - Нас не догонят
Бременские музыканты - Ничего на свете лучше нету
Кипелов - Я свободен
Кино - Группа крови
Алла Пугачева - Миллион алых роз
Верка Сердючка - Всё будет хорошо

Portuguese: I finished reading Memórias da Casa dos Mortos by Dostoyevski. No arguing here, my favorite author ever. :)

Well, that's all. :)
2 x

rfnsoares
Orange Belt

Postby rfnsoares » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:11 pm

I made great progress this week. :)
My reading is getting better and better in Polish, I read a book in French, I also read an article in Russian and now I am writing in English. So I worked on four languages. Not bad.

I have been working on lists of words in order to increase my Polish vocabulary. I took most of the articles I have been reading from the Wikipedia and from the newspaper se.pl. This week I tried two kinds of list of words. I tried Iversen's and another one I made freely and then I review the words many times a day in shorts periods. In general I studied 40-45 words a day. It seems the two kinds of lists works equally in terms of memorizing new words. The difference is in the amount of time I spend with them. On average It took me 15 minutes longer to do the Iversen's list, of course, studiying the same number of words.

Since my Polish vocabulary has been increase steadily, a comparision to Russian seems inevitable. ;) ... Of course my Russian vocabulary is much more developed than my Polish one is. But so far I have found more differences than similarities. I really do not know how much vocab they share, but I believe is 60% at most. I am not a linguist, it is personal perception. On the other hand, Polish shares a greater number of cognates with the Romance languages than Russian does, which, in theory, turns to be easier to learn vocabulary. :D

But I really miss studying Russian. :( .... I am enjoying the Polish language, loving it, but many things have been crossing my mind. I miss the language, the cyrillic alphabet, the reading fluency I have achieved. Well, I was really reaping the benefits and I am afraid I might loose them. But reading in Polish is an easier task, not because of the alphabet. One of the things that bothered me a lot when I was studying Russian was the word stress, mainly for nouns, because for adjectives and verbs were easier to guess. In Polish one won't find this problem, the word stress falls on the penultimate syllable, that is, on the second last syllable. In Russian every noun I had to check in the dictionary to be certain of the stress, because it is virtually impossible to guess.

I do not know, but, at least for me, it is hard to study two related languages. Also it lacks time. Being A Portuguese native speaker I believe I could handle studying two or more Romance languages at the same time (and I usually do). I am still thinking about it.

And, finally, the last update. Today I finished reading in French Cantique de Noël (A Christmas Carol) by Charles Dickens. I never had read this book in French. It was an easy and very pleasant reading. :)

Well, that's all for today :)
4 x

rfnsoares
Orange Belt

Postby rfnsoares » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:11 pm

Yes, I got derailed... :oops:
I had problems with my computer and it took almost a week to find and then solve the problem and I ended up procrastinating... Well, let's get back to work and stop procrastinating. Regarding language learning I do not have much to report since my last update.

ES: I read Taras Bulba by N. Gogol in Spanish. This book is not that well-rated on GoodReads, I do not know why, it is an excelent reading. Of course too much nacionalism, some passages of the book are quite scary. Concerning the language, it was easy to read and the vocab is not that complex.

FR: Finally my French reading skills are improving a lot. This results made curious to finding out how much I could speak. At the moment I belive that my French vocabulary is too close to my English one, I mean, my passive vocabulary. I barely had to look up words in the dictionary. Great results, no doubt about it! I am reading Anna Karenina in French right now. I decided to give this book a second try. Tolstoy is not my favorite writer, but once I have this book in French, I believe it would be a great opportunity to improve even more my French reading skills. It is a pretty long book and a classic.

PL: I have not been studying much Polish lately, but...

RU: I been studying Russian instead. In 20 days I added almost 450 new Russian words to my Excel sheet. Now I am overwhelmed and could not manage to review them properly, it was too much. I took these words mostly from newspapers. I need to change my strategy. I have been thinking in increase the time that I usually devote to extensive reading and because of that I would learn much fewer words per day. Maybe is for the best. I believe this huge amount of passive reading might be helpful to memorize vocab later. Well, I do not know whether this will work or not. I will try this for a while. I have already choosen the book: The Girl on the Train by Paula Howkins, and then I try Harry Potter.

IT, GR, RO, DE: nothing.

Well, that's it, enough procrastination. :)
2 x

Return to “Language logs”