2018: Learn Hard [DE, ES, ZH, EU / FLC: PL, KO]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Spanish (B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Re: 2018: Learn Hard [DE, ES, ZH, EU / FLC: PL, KO]

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Weekly Goals
Week Fifteen Recap

Not as good a week in terms of goal-hitting as last week, but when I was checking what I'd done, it turned out better than I expected! I downloaded the archive of FSI Basic Spanish this week after I saw it mentioned on another thread so I'm going to make a start at tackling that... my Spanish is really all over the place and I definitely think I'm a lot better at it than I am because I can kind of muddle my way through.

Also! I forgot to mention last week that I found a fun new thing to do: my brother showed me how to get a Gameboy Color emulator on my phone, so I've been playing Pokemon in German! :lol: I've got Pokemon Crystal in German and Pokemon Yellow in Spanish (which I haven't started yet) and it's been a lot of fun to replay the games I loved back in the early 2000s. :D (It does mean learning almost alllllllllll the Pokemon names again though :( )

Deutsch
  • Read 20% of Das Licht der Phantasie. - Nope, read 6%. Still, better than nothing, and I still have a couple of weeks to finish the book.
  • Do 150 sentences on Clozemaster. - Done! (276/150)

Español
  • LR five chapters of Los Juegos del Hambre. - Nope. (0/5 :( )

中文
  • Do 250 sentences on Clozemaster. - Done! (262/250)
  • Work through unit one of the graded reader. - Nope, though I did put the vocab from the first unit into Anki.

Euskara
  • Do five Assimil lessons. - No, ugh. :x

Additional Activities
  • Played a bunch of Pokemon Kristall.
  • Spent two hours on a DE>EN translation.

Week Sixteen: 16/04/2018-22/04/2018

Back to basics a little for some of these; I clearly need the lowest amount of effort possible to just kick-start some studying. (But some others are going up!)

Deutsch
  • Read 5% of Das Licht der Phantasie.
  • Do 250 new sentences on Clozemaster.

Español
  • LR one chapter of Los Juegos del Hambre.
  • Do FSI Basic Spanish Unit One.

中文
  • Work through unit one of the graded reader.

Euskara
  • Do one Assimil lesson.

Boom, we're done! Gonna spend some time this evening studying and then enjoy my one weekly day off tomorrow by... also studying some more :lol:
3 x
pronouns: she/her

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:00 pm

FLC: Week Eight Update
(11/04/2018-17/04/2018)

Has it been eight weeks already? Wow. I'm steadily trucking along with the challenge and I think I'm mostly settled with my resources for the time being--it's just a case of putting the time in and getting the work done. Which, this week, has been more of a success for Korean than Polish, but that wasn't completely unexpected. :P

Polish | 50 mins (10.55hrs total)
Got some Duolingo done this week, and some Memrise (to reinforce the Duolingo), but I'm still lagging on the audio front. I realised that now I'm living back at home and mostly getting lifts to and from work (public transport here is terrible omg), I don't actually listen to all that much stuff; I'm usually doing stuff on my laptop when I have free time. Sooooooo I need to carve out time just for some chill listening. And, lesser priority, I do need to find a TV show, but unless it's got some subtitles I can use with it, that's pretty useless right now.

Last Week's Goals:
  • Finish DLI Basic Unit Four. - Nope, though I did start this.
  • Listen to two episodes of Misja Kraków. - Nope.
  • Duolingo: questions, present 3. - Done!
  • LR one chapter of A Christmas Carol (L2/R2, L2/R1x2). - Nope.

1/4... :oops:

Next Week's Goals:
  • Finish DLI Basic Unit Four.
  • Duolingo: time, household.
  • Memrise: have covered the same material as Duolingo.
  • LR one chapter of A Christmas Carol (L2/R2, L2/R1x2). (Absolutely determined to get this one done :lol: )

Korean | 151 mins (5.93hrs total)
I've started working with FSI Basic (the audio is so nicely separated out into tracks), but it's going to take a lot of time to get through it all. Did some more Duolingo and LingoDeer (that's a fun app) and also started working through those 'Easy to Learn Korean Words and Phrases' cards. I've made a Pinterest board to collect them and there's like ~1300, I think, with more being added all the time.

I also started a K-Drama (yesterday)--Moorim School (무림학교)--on Viki. It's about a K-Pop idol and the (neglected illegitimate) son of a Chinese business mogul who end up at this mysterious school which really seems to focus on martial arts but is also magical, idk. It's fun, anyway, and I always forget how much K-Dramas pack into one episode--they're like an hour long but so much happens.

Last Week's Goals:
  • Do FSI Basic Unit One. - Nope, started but not done.
  • Duolingo: alphabet 3, basics 1. - Done!
  • Watch one episode of a drama. - Done!

Next Week's Goals:
  • Complete FSI Basic Unit One up to 'Drills'.
  • Duolingo: basics 2, verbs 1.
  • Watch two episodes of 무림학교.

The 6WC starts again at the beginning of May too, right? In any case, for the next one I'm going to choose an FLC language as my target, since I need to make good progress in both and I'm still a beginner. Plus, I'm going to sign up for the SC in at least German and Spanish (gotta complete that German one someday), so it'll be nice to have a reason to focus on Polish or Korean intensively as well. Whichever one I don't sign up with this time, I'll use in August.
3 x

hedgehog.chess
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (~B2ish), German (~B2ish)
Language Log: https://tinyurl.com/yaofno9u

Postby hedgehog.chess » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:26 am

LunaMoonsilver wrote:And, lesser priority, I do need to find a TV show, but unless it's got some subtitles I can use with it, that's pretty useless right

I tried to find something for you there, but unfortunately without luck. At least not within the FLC rules. I also remembered watching some series on TV Polonia (TV channel for Poles living abroad) with English subtitles. They are streaming online but from what I’ve seen, today there are only 2 episodes with subtitles and one is airing at 6am and the other one at 2pm… The situation looks similar for other workdays. Here’s the LINK to the schedule. The subtitled series are marked with the British flag.
0 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:32 pm

hedgehog.chess wrote:
LunaMoonsilver wrote:And, lesser priority, I do need to find a TV show, but unless it's got some subtitles I can use with it, that's pretty useless right

I tried to find something for you there, but unfortunately without luck. At least not within the FLC rules. I also remembered watching some series on TV Polonia (TV channel for Poles living abroad) with English subtitles. They are streaming online but from what I’ve seen, today there are only 2 episodes with subtitles and one is airing at 6am and the other one at 2pm… The situation looks similar for other workdays. Here’s the LINK to the schedule. The subtitled series are marked with the British flag.

Aw, thank you so much for looking! It looks like I'll be able to fit some of those eps into my schedule some days too (especially my day off) so yay, more TV for me! :D
0 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:46 pm

Weekly Goals
Week Sixteen Recap

Slightly belated update, I know, but I couldn't get on the forum at the weekend and then yesterday I forgot :oops: And, well, I did absolutely nothing this week. I mean, I watched one episode of Mindhunter in German, but apart from that, nada. The last few days I've gotten all caught up in planning for next month (6WC, Super Challenge, other non-language related stuff), which I know is a form of procrastination that I probably should work on. I also need to try to understand why I'm not using apps as much as I should be.

On the plus side, I changed some hours at work around, so for the next few weeks I'm working early on Wednesdays (until 9am), which should leave me the rest of the day to get all caught up/ahead of those goals.

I'm going to carry the goals from last week over to this week and see if I can get back on that wagon!

Week Seventeen: 23/04/2018-29/04/2018

Deutsch
  • Read 5% of Das Licht der Phantasie.

Español
  • LR one chapter of Los Juegos del Hambre.
  • Do FSI Basic Spanish Unit One.

中文
  • Work through unit one of the graded reader.

Euskara
  • Do one Assimil lesson.

I feel like this year's going so quickly but also I'm really excited for May and all the challenges starting~ Have to make sure I study in between making lists of books, though! ;)
2 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Weekly Goals
Week Seventeen Recap

Yeah, I had another not-so-great week (hence the FLC update not being posted either), which culminated in a migraine that only packed up and left earlier this afternoon :x Sooooooooo I'm just going to take the second half of April as a bit of a write-off (it happens!) and get ready for the fresh, new month that's starting tomorrow.

One thing I've discovered: having monthly goals is in no way helpful to me. If I start to fall behind, I just lose all momentum--and that's if I remember those goals even exist in the first place. So, weekly goals it is.

Also, as my German goals so far have mainly been reading/watching based, and as the Super Challenge is beginning tomorrow, I'm going to remove those goals because they'll be covered by that challenge. I'm going to create a new log for the Super Challenge at some point, too, since the SC carries over into next year, so I can keep everything related to it in one place.

I'll be updating about the FLC on Wednesday again (just two weeks' worth instead of one)--I'm still working on those goals from last week anyhow!

Week Eighteen: 30/04/2018-06/05/2018

Español
  • Do FSI Basic Unit One.

中文

Euskara
  • Do one Assimil lesson.
Last edited by LunaMoonsilver on Mon May 21, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed May 02, 2018 12:34 pm

FLC: Week Nine/Ten Update
(18/04/2018-01/05/2018)

I mean, I have very little to add here--much like my regular studying, I got very little FLC studying done the last couple of weeks of April. I did manage to watch one more episode of 무림학교 (episode two) but that's it, so I'm back today to step it up.

The one thing I do have is that after a lot of debate (with myself), I decided to go ahead and sign up for the Super Challenge with Korean too, this time around. I'm only aiming for a half challenge (so 50/50) and, in that, I'm mostly after watching all those films, though if I manage to get through any books, I'll be beyond impressed with myself. Obviously I'll be mentioning that here from time to time, but the bulk of my SC chat will be in my SC log (when I finally get that up and running... :oops: )

Korean is also my 6WC language, so I'm very much hoping to see some progress here!

So, for this week, I'm just going to list some goals and then get to work on them ;) Make up for some of that time I've not been studying!

Week Eleven Goals

Polish | 10.55hrs total
  • Finish DLI Basic Unit Four.
  • Write an introduction about myself.

Korean | 6.93hrs total
  • Finish FSI Basic Unit One.
  • Get a seven-day streak on Duolingo.
2 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Postby Bunnychu » Wed May 02, 2018 12:58 pm

I deleted a comment in which I recommended LingoDeer but in my ignorance I didn't see you were already using it.
파이팅~
0 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed May 02, 2018 1:15 pm

Bunnychu wrote:I deleted a comment in which I recommended LingoDeer but in my ignorance I didn't see you were already using it.
파이팅~

Haha that's okay, I saw it and wrote a reply but my wifi is annoyingly patchy today so I didn't manage to post it before you edited your comment! What I was going to say, anyway, was thanks for the recommendation--I haven't really used LingoDeer enough and Duolingo is a little underwhelming for Korean, so I'm glad to see someone suggest I use it! :D
1 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 pm

Weekly Goals

So I totally forgot to update last week! I mean, there wasn't all that much to say, but I still can't believe I forgot! :( I've started working on the FSI Basic course for Spanish (so far, so good, but it's only been the basics :lol: ) and I'm going to refresh a whole bunch of NPCR because I haven't worked on Mandarin properly for a while.

I have been Super Challenging and I did watch Eurovision on Saturday, so even though I've not been actively studying that much the past couple of weeks, I've had some exposure to various languages. ;)

Oh! I also don't know if I mentioned I'm doing sfuqua's 10,000 SRS challenge alongside the Super Challenge--I've not really started yet (I basically want to create my own massive personal anki decks) but I'm going to get on that this week.

Week Twenty: 14/05/2018-20/05/2018

Español
  • Do FSI Spanish Basic Units 2/3.

中文
  • Refresh NPCR #1 lessons 1-3.

Euskara
  • Do one Assimil lesson.

I've got to get back into Basque (especially as I'm not doing the SC for it) and manage my time a little better to make sure I can get a handle on all six languages. Hopefully I'll work that out in the next couple of weeks, so long as I remember to come back here and update this log! :oops:
5 x

Return to “Language logs”