2018: Learn Hard [DE, ES, ZH, EU / FLC: PL, KO]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Re: 2018: Learn Hard [DE, ES, ZH, EU]

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:03 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:I recently watched this series on Netflix with French dubbing. Loved it! I haven't seen a series this good in a very long time. Glad to see you rated it so well. I'd find it difficult to rate below 9.5/10

Right? Everything I watch now seems so poorly-shot in comparison too--an absolutely stunning piece of work. I was a little thrown by the ending but the fact that they've already confirmed a second series bumped my rating up to 10/10 :lol: I'm glad someone else enjoyed it; I haven't really found anyone else who's seen it yet!
1 x
pronouns: she/her

: 31 / 365 365-Day Language Challenge; de, zh, es

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Dark is excellent! My wife and I watched it in German and both of us loved it.
2 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:08 pm

Weekly Goals
Week Seven Recap

Well, it's been a long week. I got bits of studying done, watched some TV, but I've been at work a lot more since overtime has been readily available--which means I'm basically back to working full-time (good for my bank balance, at least :lol: ). Saw Black Panther on Tuesday which a) is amazing, but b) gave me the overwhelming urge to start learning Xhosa/Korean. I also went to see Hamilton on Thursday, which did nothing for me in the way of language learning (though it's also incredible), but the train journey to London and back gave me time to study/read some more.

Deutsch
  • Read 10% of Die Farben der Magie. - Done! I actually read 13%, which is nice; I'm about halfway through the book now.
  • Watch 40 minutes of anything. - Done! Watched the first episode of Mindhunter (Netflix; not sure what I think so far) and re-watched the first episode and a half of Stranger Things.

Español
  • Read 5% of Los Juegos del Hambre. - So close! I read about 3-4% and I'm almost at chapter three. Just got to get into reading in Spanish a little more consistently.
  • Watch 40 minutes of anything. - Done! Watched a couple more episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
  • Do two Assimil lessons. - Nope.

中文
  • Watch 40 minutes of anything. - Nope. Didn't watch a thing :(

Euskara
  • Watch one episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender. - Nope.
  • Do two Assimil lessons. - Sigh, also no.

Additional Activities
  • Worked through most of Colloquial Basque Chapter Three.

Uh, yeah, I've got to stop leaving all the TV things for Sunday, especially when I work early because I tend to get home and nap :oops: Tomorrow's my only day off this week, so I'm going to try and get as much done as I can as early as possible.

Week Eight: 19/02/2018-25/02/2018

Deutsch
  • Read 10% of Die Farben der Magie.
  • Watch 40 minutes of anything.

Español
  • Read 5% of Los Juegos del Hambre.

中文

Euskara
  • Watch one episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
  • Finish Colloquial Basque Chapter Three.

One last thing... while I've been writing this (it reallllllllly takes me a long time to write this stuff up :lol: ), I've been reading the new thread rdearman posted (What happened to the challenges), so don't be surprised if I come back mid-week with a million things I want to try out! ;)
2 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Adding to the Dark fan club! :) Absolutely fantastic, from the filmography to the soundtrack. I'm already excited for the second season!
2 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:17 pm

tastyonions wrote:Dark is excellent! My wife and I watched it in German and both of us loved it.

Yay! It's good to hear so many other people enjoyed it--and it was nice to watch something on Netflix in German that was originally produced that way. :)

Maiwenn wrote:Adding to the Dark fan club! :) Absolutely fantastic, from the filmography to the soundtrack. I'm already excited for the second season!

Yesssss! I added the theme song to a Spotify playlist and while it's kind of a spooky song, I love it. I hope the second series is as good as the first, though considering how they left off, there's a lot to be answered... :D
2 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:30 pm

LunaMoonsilver wrote:One last thing... while I've been writing this (it reallllllllly takes me a long time to write this stuff up :lol: ), I've been reading the new thread rdearman posted (What happened to the challenges), so don't be surprised if I come back mid-week with a million things I want to try out! ;)

Um yeah, it turns out I was not kidding.

I'm now officially taking part in iguanamon's Free and Legal Challenge (FLC), which if you haven't seen the thread, basically entails trying to learn a new language using only material freely (and legally) available. There are variants, all of which can be seen on the thread, but I'm going for the Pure FLC, as outlined here:

iguanamon wrote:Pure FLC- All internet based, no library, no illegal downloads or streaming including illegally uploaded youtube videos.

Fun, right? The goal is to see how far we can get—at least A2 level, hopefully, though there are timeframes for levels beyond that too.

Since I have absolutely no chill about this challenge, I've picked two languages to try out—Polish and Mongolian. :lol:

Polish | Język polski

I've been wanting to learn Polish for a while, so this seems like the perfect opportunity to give it a go! I have learnt a little Polish before (a couple of Pimsleur lessons, some Duolingo), but basically all I remember now is hello/thank you/excuse me, so I think this will work.

From what I've seen, Polish seems pretty resource-rich, especially since iguanamon linked me to the massive DLI Polish Basic course:

iguanamon wrote:I met a Polish couple the other day here and I downloaded the rather substantial and thorough (though 49 years old) DLI Polish Basic Course (copyright free) from ERIC. There's no audio. I used the Haitian Creole course successfully without audio. You're going to have to get creative with this. Misja Kraków is a free introductory course from Deutsche Welle. I'm curious about both! Maybe Misja Kraków can help to teach you pronunciation that the DLI course without audio is missing.

There's also a good-sized Polish community where I live, so I should have a chance to put some of what I learn into practice! ;)

Mongolian | монгол хэл

Not gonna lie, Mongolian is a bit more of a whim. A few years ago, I was studying in China for a while and had the chance to go to Inner Mongolia. It was only for a few days, but I loved it and was sure at the time I would, at some point, learn some Mongolian. Fast-forward five years later and I have not done that, but since I think I'd be satisfied learning some Mongolian even to a basic level, this seems like another good choice to try.

(Plus, I can't deny that the comparative scarcity of resources is intriguing...)

Right now, I've found a Peace Corps course (with no audio) and a YouTube channel that seems to cover aspects of Mongolian grammar. This one is a bit up in the air; if I decide I need to drop either language, it's going to be Mongolian, but I'm excited to see how much I can do.

Like usual, I'm going to try and update weekly, though I don't think I'll be making weekly goals for this challenge for a little while. For now, I've got to collect resources and drill pronunciation. Maybe learn some new words... :D

Good luck to everyone taking part! I'm sure we'll all do well ;)
Last edited by LunaMoonsilver on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 pm

FLC Progress Bars

Polski
: 8 / 67 Duolingo
: 1 / 124 DLI Basic
: 0 / 5 LR: Opowieść wigilijna (L2/R2)

Монгол
: 4 / 15 Peace Corps Basic Expressions
: 26 / 96 Memrise: Mongolian I
Last edited by LunaMoonsilver on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Here's an English/Polish phrasebook from The Center for Applied Linguistics. Originally intended for refugees adjusting to life in the US about 30 years ago- Free and Legal for download in pdf.

Here's the link from archive.org for the Peace Corps Courses with audio for a bunch of languages, including Mongolian Peace Corps Course With Audio. Good luck, LunaMoonsilver!
2 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:44 am

iguanamon wrote:Here's an English/Polish phrasebook from The Center for Applied Linguistics. Originally intended for refugees adjusting to life in the US about 30 years ago- Free and Legal for download in pdf.

Here's the link from archive.org for the Peace Corps Courses with audio for a bunch of languages, including Mongolian Peace Corps Course With Audio. Good luck, LunaMoonsilver!

Thanks for these, iguanamon! :D I'm off to an...interesting start, but the resources available mean that I've already had to go hunting around for alternate methods. (In other words, I'm loving it :lol: )
1 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Weekly Goals
Week Eight Recap

I'm not going to bother relisting my goals for last week because, honestly, I didn't achieve any of them. I did bits of studying here and there, but as soon as I got on the FLC train, I spent time looking for resources and started studying Polish and Mongolian instead! :oops: Also had an uncommonly busy weekend (worked/spent time with friends all day Saturday, ran a 10k/relaxed on Sunday), but things will be back to normal this week.

FLC updates are going to be on Wednesdays (keep thinking I should have created a new log, but I'm kind of proud at the way I've been keeping this one up to date, so I don't wanna jinx it...), where there'll be more to report.

Week Nine: 26/02/2018-04/03/2018

I'm going to cut down to one goal a week for the time being, until I get settled into a routine again (it's going to take a couple of weeks to work out what I need to focus on for the FLC).

Deutsch
  • Read 5% of Die Farben der Magie.

Español
  • Read 5% of Los Juegos del Hambre.

中文

Euskara
  • Finish Colloquial Basque Chapter Three.

Oh, I also think I may start one of the other challenges from rdearman's thread (specifically, this one):

rdearman wrote:
  • 101 Essays - Write 101 essays in your TL which are all at least 500 words

Still have to decide whether to do it for German or Spanish, but since it fits nicely in with the Output Challenge, I'll be starting soon-ish. :D
1 x

Return to “Language logs”